PJ's Best Concert Elimination Tournament ?

124»

Comments

• edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    I don’t understand how not one performance from 1991 has made your list. I guess few posting these days witnessed that spectacle. Also guessing there are fewer bootleg tapes and CD’s circulating from that era, so today’s fan is less aware of how raw and spectacular the band was as an opening act. I’d happily trade any modern day epic 3 hour set for a 30 minute 1991/1992 opening set and stage dive.
    cutz wrote:
    1993-Oct. 28-San Francisco

I bet you were in attendance, me to. That’s the night everything changed for me. I think of this show and performance every time someone calls a current Pearl Jam concert “EPIC.” Maybe you can’t refer to those early shows as epic because they lacked the material and length of today’s concerts.

I would change your quest to the three best performances ever. 1991 – 1994 era, the Jack era, and the Matt era.

My .02 cents, no charge.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    edwho wrote:
    I don’t understand how not one performance from 1991 has made your list. I guess few posting these days witnessed that spectacle. Also guessing there are fewer bootleg tapes and CD’s circulating from that era, so today’s fan is less aware of how raw and spectacular the band was as an opening act. I’d happily trade any modern day epic 3 hour set for a 30 minute 1991/1992 opening set and stage dive.
    cutz wrote:

I bet you were in attendance, me to. That’s the night everything changed for me. I think of this show and performance every time someone calls a current Pearl Jam concert “EPIC.” Maybe you can’t refer to those early shows as epic because they lacked the material and length of today’s concerts.

I would change your quest to the three best performances ever. 1991 – 1994 era, the Jack era, and the Matt era.

My .02 cents, no charge.

Actually i wasn't at that San Francisco show on Oct. 28, 1993. But man, i WISH i was. I just listen to the bootleg of that show last week, and i thought it was a GREAT show. And if you put it in context, like you said,( the early years, the material they had to play at the time), this show MIGHT have to be considered EPIC. Or the very least considered for this Concert tourney. In fact, that show may have been ther longest at that time? Now what i want to know: was that some kind of a SECRET show? and how big was that place they played?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    I can't believe we have 3 pages and no one has mentioned Red Rocks 2 '95. I've been to 95 shows in my life including a lot of shows that are mentioned as being the best ever (all MSG shows, Mansfield 3, all the gorge shows, Sea 2 '00 ect) and Red Rocks was the best by far. IMO.

No disrepect here, but i just listen to that boot, and i didn't like it at all. Eddie sounded like he just smoked a couple of packs of cigarettes, right before he hit the stage, on a few of the songs. Maybe it was a great show if you were there, but it didn't come across that well on the bootleg.
  • PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    What about Santa Barbara '03?

All the goodness of Benny Hall, plus the first Temple of the Dog reunion! Easily a top 32 show, but somehow overlooked?
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    to quote my buddy fenway faithful, this is a "fool's errand." :shifty:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,596
    Heres what you do.

#1 Ask everyone to rank their top 10 1-10
    # 2 Tally 10 pts for #1 9 for #2 8 for #3 and so on
    # 3 Rank the top 32 concerts in order of accumulated points
    #4 create matchups using seeds from the top 32
    a) #1 vs #32
    b) #16 vs #17
    c)#8 vs #25
    d)#9 vs #24
    e)#12 vs #21
    f)#5 vs #28
    g)#13 vs #20
    h)#4 vs #29
    i)#3 vs #30
    j)#14 vs #19
    k)#6 vs #27
    l)#11 vs #22
    m)#10 vs #23
    n) #7 vs #26
    o) #15 vs #18
    p) #2 vs #31
    #5 have votes on each of the matchups , winner of match a faces winner of match b
    #6 after 1st round 16 are eliminated
    #7 winners keep advancing until 2 are left and thats the final

hope that helps
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    cutz wrote:
    edwho wrote:
    cutz wrote:

My .02 cents, no charge.

Actually i wasn't at that San Francisco show on Oct. 28, 1993. But man, i WISH i was. I just listen to the bootleg of that show last week, and i thought it was a GREAT show. And if you put it in context, like you said,( the early years, the material they had to play at the time), this show MIGHT have to be considered EPIC. Or the very least considered for this Concert tourney. In fact, that show may have been ther longest at that time? Now what i want to know: was that some kind of a SECRET show? and how big was that place they played?

I totally agree with your assessment and appreciation of that era, shouldn’t be left out.

It was not a secret show (secret show was night before in Santa Cruz), 2000 and change venue attendance. Small theater, incredible performance and songs, electric audience (no cameras allowed and before handheld devises), Release opening, The Who tag and cover, Mike smashed a guitar and his hand (ouch – My Generation played without him), Indifference closer, left in awe.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago