Options

Random 10 Club Seating - An American Tragedy

124»

Comments

• Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Amazing that in my short time in this pit that this argument has come up in at least twenty different threads.

It never has bothered me really since I'm more of a "just get in the building" type of supporter.
  • Options
    GREED - An American Tragedy
  • Options
    I have been a fan since Howard Stern started talking about them in 1991/1992 as his favorite band at the time, and played a bunch of excerpts from Ten. I got Ten, and then every subsequent album. I had a lot of personal issues including a bad divorce where I had a ton of debt and had to work very hard to overcome it. And by about 2002, I did. No bankruptcies, I did it the hard way. Now that's more of a definition of climbing a ladder. Every Pearl Jam album carried me through all of this. They were the voice of reason. Ed's voice was a voice in my life; every day. I knew about 10c couldn't afford it. I couldn't afford concerts. I am no less a fan of the music than anybody else here. By 2002, I joined 10c. I could afford things by that time. I got a number 25x,xxx. In 2003, I went to my 1st PJ shows. In Irvine, I was 1/2 way back. I couldn't believe all those people in front of me, probably 7500 people, were 10c but I guess they were. The band looked like little bugs from that distance. Couldn't see facial expressions, could see them moving around the stage. Irvine had a big screen so I watched that instead of watching the stage. Sort of like watching TV outside. What's good about that? That's not nearly the same experience as being up front. Then, San Diego, 03. About 40-45 rows back on the floor. A bunch of people taller than me in front of me. I could only see the tops of the bandmember's heads. No screen to watch it on TV. What's good about that? The argument, "Oh just be happy you were there" is utter nonsence. I drove 3 hours in traffic to go down there, and got tickets from a fan club which asserted we'd get better seats than the public, and I couldn't see. So in 06, we complained and got up the sides as opposed to rear floor. Back to seeing bugs from a distance. The thing that gets me is I'm in a way like that 14 year old who by virtue of his age, couldn't get 10c membership until recently, and therefore is banned into a caste system that by formula will forever deny that close up experience. I would like to sit within the first 10 rows at least once. Where I can feel the vibe, actually see their expressions, see them for who they are and what they're doing. I'm not saying all the time. And I understand the challenges of a large membershp and large markets. I would prefer a system where for one show in a tour, 10c members could call it their "preferred" or "home" show. Sort of what I hear 2000 was like. Then, every other show like 2003 and beyond. I think that would get people like me and that 14 year old closer at least once. Because now, the way that it is, I enjoy the DVD's as much if not more.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,219
    I have been a fan since Howard Stern started talking about them in 1991/1992 as his favorite band at the time, and played a bunch of excerpts from Ten. I got Ten, and then every subsequent album. I had a lot of personal issues including a bad divorce where I had a ton of debt and had to work very hard to overcome it. And by about 2002, I did. No bankruptcies, I did it the hard way. Now that's more of a definition of climbing a ladder. Every Pearl Jam album carried me through all of this. They were the voice of reason. Ed's voice was a voice in my life; every day. I knew about 10c couldn't afford it. I couldn't afford concerts. I am no less a fan of the music than anybody else here. By 2002, I joined 10c. I could afford things by that time. I got a number 25x,xxx. In 2003, I went to my 1st PJ shows. In Irvine, I was 1/2 way back. I couldn't believe all those people in front of me, probably 7500 people, were 10c but I guess they were. The band looked like little bugs from that distance. Couldn't see facial expressions, could see them moving around the stage. Irvine had a big screen so I watched that instead of watching the stage. Sort of like watching TV outside. What's good about that? That's not nearly the same experience as being up front. Then, San Diego, 03. About 40-45 rows back on the floor. A bunch of people taller than me in front of me. I could only see the tops of the bandmember's heads. No screen to watch it on TV. What's good about that? The argument, "Oh just be happy you were there" is utter nonsence. I drove 3 hours in traffic to go down there, and got tickets from a fan club which asserted we'd get better seats than the public, and I couldn't see. So in 06, we complained and got up the sides as opposed to rear floor. Back to seeing bugs from a distance. The thing that gets me is I'm in a way like that 14 year old who by virtue of his age, couldn't get 10c membership until recently, and therefore is banned into a caste system that by formula will forever deny that close up experience. I would like to sit within the first 10 rows at least once. Where I can feel the vibe, actually see their expressions, see them for who they are and what they're doing. I'm not saying all the time. And I understand the challenges of a large membershp and large markets. I would prefer a system where for one show in a tour, 10c members could call it their "preferred" or "home" show. Sort of what I hear 2000 was like. Then, every other show like 2003 and beyond. I think that would get people like me and that 14 year old closer at least once. Because now, the way that it is, I enjoy the DVD's as much if not more.

Be careful. You may upset the Priveledged low numbered.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    Here we go again with the seniority thing. Like I said in the past they should do 2-3 shows a year when they play back 2 back nights where they change it up a little bit. But they should never stop the seniority thing.
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,814
    You've quoted me a couple of times there...

If you look back on my posts, i've not once said that i want to be up front. I really don't care where i sit at a PJ show, BUT i think that there are a lot of people here who never get good seats who want them for just maybe one show so that's why i think a random lottery system for just a few shows each tour is a good idea.

I don't worry about it so much because i'm in Europe so my number means diddly squat when it comes to tickets. I don't see the band going on forever and forever, so for the remainder of their career if the seniority system stays in place then it'll be the same faces at the front possibly until the band retires, and nobody will ever be able to work their way up and get near the front if they want to.

Please read the original footnote in the post you quoted me on:
    Foxy Mop wrote:

note: I would find the posts where people have said this, but to be honest I've lost track of them with all the threads that keep popping up. I did copy what someone wrote in this thread, but they made the statement, I believe, in a different context, so I'm not speaking about them directly. :) It just reminded me of the whole thing.

As I said, I copied, I guess what was your comments, because they reminded me of the issue I have. I also said you probably meant them in a different context, no harm no foul. :)

I stick true to my belief in the seniority system, though I wouldn't mind them incorporating sporadic randomization - then I too might actually get better seats with my own number, rather than humbly relying the vast graciousness of my friends.

But again, I feel using the "you don't need to sit up front always, every seat in the house is good" argument can be applied on either side of the debate and should be put to rest as an argumentative point.
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    Am I the only one here that really doesn't care what the heck happens? I have 185,XXX and no matter what I never get the best seats. I have crappy luck to, so whats the point of worrying? The seats will be at least better than ticketcrapper at least.
  • Options
    jbalicki10 wrote:
    The seats will be at least better than ticketcrapper at least.

How I wish that was true. And I would have had a similar outlook as you if that were true. In San Diego, 03, I was 40-45 rows back on the floor. Couldn't see except the tops of the bandmember's heads. While at the same time, I knew of people who went to T/M and got seats on the side, maybe 5 rows back, and up the side 5 rows, on Mike's side.

When 10c went up the sides, I was in the rafters. Probably the equivalent of 15 rows back from the stage, but right at the center walkway in elevation. Better than 03? Yes, at least I could see. However, T/M was on the side at maybe 20 rows back and a few rows up from the floor. Definitely better seats than mine.

What's funny is I have a pair of Steiner Commander V (http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/binoculars/marine/392.html) Binoculars which originally costed $1299, now retail for about $750 and are absolutely amazing. There are plunger-like cups which go over your eyes, and the amount of light, clarity, etc., is amazing. They are for marine usage and I have a boat. Same ones Dennis Conner used in the America's Cup. Days before my show, 10c comes up with "No Binoculars". I mean, WTF is that all about? They really don't want me to see. Robert Plant didn't mind me using them. I didn't hurt myself or anybody else. Again, I state, WTF!
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    chevychase wrote:
    You are not born with the right to go see Pearl Jam. It is listed nowhere in the constitution. The 2nd Amendment doesn't read "You have the right to bear arms...and go see Pearl Jam". There are some of us working class Americans that have spent years dilligently working our way up the 10 Club staircase. Inch by inch. Row by row. We have paid too much money in worthless rising membership fees through the years just to keep our seating priority. I'll be damned if I'm going to let my hard earned 12th row tickets go to some sniviling Johnny come lately punk who signed up for the 10 Club three months prior when he heard that New Found Glory was opening for Pearl Jam. You can have my ticket when you can pry it from my cold dead hands.

I am pretty sure Membership Fees are paid to be part of larger group where everyone has common interests etc,.....Perhaps they could start a second Group that is more in tune with your specific interest.......maybe call it the Kleenex Club or the Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa club. Or maybe once you joined they should have closed the doors to the membership, since Joe Cool was already on board.

"Dilligently Working"......ahahahahahahaahahah. "Worthless Rising Membership Fees" ahahahahahaah............ You think you are entitled to something??? You kinda deserve all of this....We all had the same opportunity to get the seats, so whatever I did trumped all your years of hard work. It was exhausting coming in so late in the game, but my hardwork paid off and I will REALLY ENJOY your seats...not only in Santa Barbara, but in LA, San DIego and Berkelely too. So, thank YOU!!!! For all your blood, sweat and (especially) the tears.....
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    How I wish that was true. And I would have had a similar outlook as you if that were true. In San Diego, 03, I was 40-45 rows back on the floor. Couldn't see except the tops of the bandmember's heads. While at the same time, I knew of people who went to T/M and got seats on the side, maybe 5 rows back, and up the side 5 rows, on Mike's side.

When 10c went up the sides, I was in the rafters. Probably the equivalent of 15 rows back from the stage, but right at the center walkway in elevation. Better than 03? Yes, at least I could see. However, T/M was on the side at maybe 20 rows back and a few rows up from the floor. Definitely better seats than mine.

What's funny is I have a pair of Steiner Commander V (http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/binoculars/marine/392.html) Binoculars which originally costed $1299, now retail for about $750 and are absolutely amazing. There are plunger-like cups which go over your eyes, and the amount of light, clarity, etc., is amazing. They are for marine usage and I have a boat. Same ones Dennis Conner used in the America's Cup. Days before my show, 10c comes up with "No Binoculars". I mean, WTF is that all about? They really don't want me to see. Robert Plant didn't mind me using them. I didn't hurt myself or anybody else. Again, I state, WTF!

I have a pair of Binos too....

http://www.funideas.com/binocularflask.html

They dont help me see anything but Blurry......
  • Options
    chevychase wrote:
    You are not born with the right to go see Pearl Jam. It is listed nowhere in the constitution. The 2nd Amendment doesn't read "You have the right to bear arms...and go see Pearl Jam". There are some of us working class Americans that have spent years We have paid too much money in worthless rising membership fees through the years just to keep our seating priority. I'll be damned if I'm going to let my hard earned 12th row tickets go to some sniviling Johnny come lately punk who signed up for the 10 Club three months prior when he heard that New Found Glory was opening for Pearl Jam. You can have my ticket when you can pry it from my cold dead hands.

I'm on the fence here. my number is 189xxx so while I'm not 12th row like you, I'm usually about 20th row which is totally fine with me. but there are a lot of people at the front of the fanclub rows who just stand there, arms crossed, waiting for their favorite b-side. you know the type; the smug "I'm not going to raise my arms in a V during Jeremy" or "I'm going to text message during Evenflow because I've already seen it live 50 times" guy who doesn't even appreciate it anymore. the 35 year old who drags his wife to the show when she'd rather be a Keith Urban concert but since he has "dilligently worked his way up the 10 Club staircase. Inch by inch. Row by row," he takes up a spot for the guys like me who are a dozen rows back.

I understand what you're saying. I don't want to be in the 40th row way on the right when someone who joined the tenclub last year is in the 6th row. but I think those of us who don't have seniority but rather have some longevity (say 10 years in the tenclub like I do) should be given at least one chance to be up front.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Can anyone comment on a difference in seating between Canadian and States concerts?

Everyone's talking about having 'bad' seats with their number...I'm 3xx xxx and my seats for Van 2005 were fantastic. They weren't on the floor or front row, but they had an awesome view of the stage. Is it because of the demand for shows in the States being more than here?
  • Options
    I'm on the fence here. my number is 189xxx so while I'm not 12th row like you, I'm usually about 20th row which is totally fine with me. but there are a lot of people at the front of the fanclub rows who just stand there, arms crossed, waiting for their favorite b-side. you know the type; the smug "I'm not going to raise my arms in a V during Jeremy" or "I'm going to text message during Evenflow because I've already seen it live 50 times" guy who doesn't even appreciate it anymore. the 35 year old who drags his wife to the show when she'd rather be a Keith Urban concert but since he has "dilligently worked his way up the 10 Club staircase. Inch by inch. Row by row," he takes up a spot for the guys like me who are a dozen rows back.

I understand what you're saying. I don't want to be in the 40th row way on the right when someone who joined the tenclub last year is in the 6th row. but I think those of us who don't have seniority but rather have some longevity (say 10 years in the tenclub like I do) should be given at least one chance to be up front.

Wow, I agree with you. Would be nice if your 10 years in or more, your grandfathered in to get the rows in the front that is random.
  • Options

i agree. being number 223xxx hasnt been bad at all and ive sat 20th row and i have sat 12th row. being close is always nice and i would never deny sitting as close as possible.

it just seems that with so much debate, maybe the randomization for certain rows would be a reasonable median to satisfy everyone. i used to consider myself late to get into the ten club but there are people way way below me on said staircase. those people might never get their chance to sit up front based on their possible age and the time this band has left in itself.

but here we are, at civil war...it needs to end...lets get naked...er something

just see what happens from there

no dudes

that is all

-me
  • Options
    mandalina wrote:
    Can anyone comment on a difference in seating between Canadian and States concerts?

Everyone's talking about having 'bad' seats with their number...I'm 3xx xxx and my seats for Van 2005 were fantastic. They weren't on the floor or front row, but they had an awesome view of the stage. Is it because of the demand for shows in the States being more than here?

a BIG, FAT YES!
    particularly in the northeast, and i'd imagine california.

my 10c # at the 2003 msg shows garnered 200 level, midway from the stage seats. the very same 10c # in edmonton, alberta in 2005 nabbed 9th row dead center. location makes a HUGE difference. my 10c # did FAR better at every show i purchased at the gorge/canada then any of my tix for the northeast. this is a one of the many perks of travelling to see pearl jam, but hell yes....it would be nice to see pearl jam in my home state is such sweet seats WITH my hubby, not sharing a bettered #ed member's tix.

one can dream. :D
    for now, i enjoy ALL my shows wherever i am, and i take note and feel particularly happy when i get considerably closer whether b/c of GA....travel......sharing a friend's #...any/all of the above. however, i don't think a 10c member should HAVe to do any of that to simply have a CHANCE.

and now i'll shut up. ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    "You have the right to bear arms...and go see Pearl Jam"

I like that, may i quote it? :P
  • Options
    Eventhough I have a very low tenclub number I kinda agree that having random ticket mixes are a good thing. I have totally noticed the same people just sitting there during the shows, besides we are all part of a bigger family of fans for our favorite band. However, I will admit I used to like it when the ticket brokers had access to the front row seats as I had access to the front for a 400.00 to 700.00 per ticket price. Capitalism is a great thing, get a good education, work really hard and enjoy the rewards for your hard work. From 92 to 2000 I had front row tickets an estimated 15 times maybe more, its hard to remember that far in the past... but now I definitely think allowing other people to share the experience of being close would be a nice thing to do who cares if you just became a member yesterday or not, we are all fans, I applaude the new generation of fans

2 cents
  • Options
    offwego wrote:
    Eventhough I have a very low tenclub number I kinda agree that having random ticket mixes are a good thing. I have totally noticed the same people just sitting there during the shows, besides we are all part of a bigger family of fans for our favorite band. However, I will admit I used to like it when the ticket brokers had access to the front row seats as I had access to the front for a 400.00 to 700.00 per ticket price. Capitalism is a great thing, get a good education, work really hard and enjoy the rewards for your hard work. From 92 to 2000 I had front row tickets an estimated 15 times maybe more, its hard to remember that far in the past... but now I definitely think allowing other people to share the experience of being close would be a nice thing to do who cares if you just became a member yesterday or not, we are all fans, I applaude the new generation of fans

2 cents

I applaud you!