Options

Random 10 Club Seating - An American Tragedy

Comments

• Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    last row in the nose bleeds is just as good as 5th row??????

cmon thats a stupid statement

anyone who has been close (wheter ga or senority knows the fanclub and the energy is up there

dont tell me being in the back with people who are sitting is better than up close

I never said one was better than the other. I've been up front a few times, and i've been way back a couple of times too. Neither was better than the other, i enjoyed some of the front row shows better and also enjoyed some of the shows more when I was right in the mix mid-way through the crowd.

If people think that being able to see every band member up close is 'better', then fair enough. But how many times does one person need that experience? The long-time fans with great 10c numbers have probably been in the first few rows year after year; it's just my personal opinion but i don't think anyone needs to be that close to the band at every show. It's just more fun if you mix it up a bit, gives you different perspectives when you're in different places.

I'm not trying to bash anyone, but there does seem to be an attitude where some fans think it makes them 'better' or 'cooler' because they've been at the front so many times. That's not everybody, but some people who i've spoken to have that attitude, and it's very sad for me to see :(

I couldn't give a crap how many times you've been a front; that means absolutely nothing in my mind. But, if you feel that you really desperately NEED to be at the front or in the first few rows to enjoy the show, then that's your problem. I'm happy wherever i am, and i mean that. Get me in the venue and i'm a happy camper.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,448
    Get_Right wrote:
    jose misses the love of the old days

he cant get over how much folks bitch and moan because it was never like that back in the day.

Right hermano

i have to agree adam it has lost something i can't pin point it but it has ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    While we are at bitching... what pisses me off is when I hear of old timers begging to have their numbers back after a few months' lapse in membership. "Working up the ladder" is largely a myth if it is common practices to give people back their old numbers.

Chevy, are you one of them?

methinks chevy is too hardcore to beg.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    My 2 cents is this...

This is not a PJ show.
    This is an Edde Vedder solo tour.
    So why people would even begin to think that they deserve 10C front row seats is beyond me. Maybe if there was an Eddie fan club and you were infront of others then you would have the right to complain.

Im more frustrated at the very limited amounts of fan club seats that are given out at any given show.

But that has nothing to do with this tour.
    And I can not find an excuse to complain on that front.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Buru wrote:
    An american tragedy? I hope you are joking chevy...
    Everyone needs to chill lol

People in the US get to see Pearl Jam on a much more regular basis than other fans, remember that when you are about to start bitching. You can still get good tickets even if allocation is random, and you still get to enjoy a show.

Be thankful the ten club even has this priority seating options, because not all fan clubs do...

Personally, i prefer GA shows where members get early entry, rather than seated ones. How good a spot you get will depend on how early you arrived (and not which year you joined the Ten Club)

A 16 kid just discovering Pearl Jam today might be as big a fan as an old ten club member, but his ten club number will never show this...
    I am tired of whining from members from other countries. Remember, PJ is an
    AMERICAN band and it is much cheaper and easier for them to tour in their home country. All this considered, they have played a lot of shows outside the US, especially Europe/Australia.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    While we are at bitching... what pisses me off is when I hear of old timers begging to have their numbers back after a few months' lapse in membership. "Working up the ladder" is largely a myth if it is common practices to give people back their old numbers.

Chevy, are you one of them?

INDEED!
    i know this was a afiarly common practice in the past, and i KNOW it has occurred for members longer than just a few months, even a couple of years...if they had documentation. far more lax. and don't forget the practice of 'assigning 10c#s' with first 10c purchases of ANY merch, and even if it were a couple years later, that # was then theirs. there's lots of holes in it. there is no 'working up a ladder' period.

as i said, one wants to argue others don't 'deserve' it...beyond merely saying they paid dues longer....go for it. plenty of things are NOT seniority-based. i believe there SHOULd be some perks with seniority, i just don't think they should 100% encompass ALL the BESt seats at EVERY single show. BALANCE is key in most things.

geneivieve...i think many of us ARe discussing 'pearl jam shows'......not ed shows. we are saying/thinking it would be a good change. perhaps the ed shows spurred the discussion, but really, the subject comes up time and again every tour...right along with the 10c server/i missed out on tix...bitching threads. :D

btw - i'd love to see where i *bitch* about this topic. i like to DISCUSS it though, absolutely! i see just as many 'old-timers' bitch about the ticket BUYING process as anyone else, lack of 10c tix period, etc. it is not limited to this topic alone, and it is NOT an us vs. them...newbies vs. old-timers situation. at least not to me. btw - i LIKE refrring to many people who are probably far younger than me, as 'old-timers'...tis a good twist! ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    distantsun wrote:
    methinks chevy is too hardcore to beg.

ahah... you obviously don't know him :D
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    I never said one was better than the other. I've been up front a few times, and i've been way back a couple of times too. Neither was better than the other, i enjoyed some of the front row shows better and also enjoyed some of the shows more when I was right in the mix mid-way through the crowd.

If people think that being able to see every band member up close is 'better', then fair enough. But how many times does one person need that experience? The long-time fans with great 10c numbers have probably been in the first few rows year after year; it's just my personal opinion but i don't think anyone needs to be that close to the band at every show. It's just more fun if you mix it up a bit, gives you different perspectives when you're in different places.

I'm not trying to bash anyone, but there does seem to be an attitude where some fans think it makes them 'better' or 'cooler' because they've been at the front so many times. That's not everybody, but some people who i've spoken to have that attitude, and it's very sad for me to see :(

I couldn't give a crap how many times you've been a front; that means absolutely nothing in my mind. But, if you feel that you really desperately NEED to be at the front or in the first few rows to enjoy the show, then that's your problem. I'm happy wherever i am, and i mean that. Get me in the venue and i'm a happy camper.

IVE SEEN THEM FAR BACK NUMEROUS TIMES

any ga show in a big venue im far back,,the days of pushing up front are over
    and while iam happy to be there,, its just not the same for me being in the back with the evenflow people

i need and want the up close experience as much as possible,, you would be silly to think otherwise
  • Options
    StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    I like the system we have in Europe..best rows get the ones that wait longest (and are members - because they get inside 15 minutes earlier). People who don't like to stand or rub against each other can use venue's sitting platform at the sides (usually also the first ones can freely sit where they want).

You had your 12 (or how many) years of priviledge and others were sitting behind you just because they were poorer or younger and that's why I think your post is unjustified.
    Membership also isn't just about member number, I believe. At least not for me.

You can't always get what you want (I guess that sentence isn't very american minded but it's just the way it is)...and getting it by paying more than others..well that doesn't sound ok to me eighter..(see my signature)..
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,495
    i have to agree adam it has lost something i can't pin point it but it has ....

its the internet disease

the need for instant information, explanation and gratification

that and we are getting old my friend
  • Options
    You've gotta respect the band's wishes. Judging by their reaction in Grand Rapids and Eddie's comment at Gorge I 06, you've gotta think that they enjoy seeing new people in the front row, people that actually look like they are enjoying the show. Just my thoughts.
    Add your benaroya vinyl # to the list!!!
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=104018
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

apparently! ;)

* please do note the ;) meant to denote humor/sarcasm...lest you take it personally and feel slighted/insulted. :D we can all drink together in 2 days! :cool:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    apparently! ;)

* please do note the ;) meant to denote humor/sarcasm...lest you take it personally and feel slighted/insulted. :D we can all drink together in 2 days! :cool:

by the way, Im not sure if you saw my response (deleted), but I was goofing on jose saying "they just wont go away"

hence the terminix reference

not directed at you!

BB is watching

as they say in Brooklyn

its all good
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    IVE SEEN THEM FAR BACK NUMEROUS TIMES

any ga show in a big venue im far back,,the days of pushing up front are over
    and while iam happy to be there,, its just not the same for me being in the back with the evenflow people

i need and want the up close experience as much as possible,, you would be silly to think otherwise

lol, this is where we disagree the most. I can't get my head around the fact that people, including yourself, need and want the up close experience as much as possible. I know what the band looks like, so once i've seen them up close a couple of times the novelty wears off. I don't need to see their nose hairs. After all, i just want to hear the music and be surrounded by all the crazy fans. I can still see the band playing when i'm far back.

Whatever turns people on though, we can't all agree :)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,448
    Get_Right wrote:
    its the internet disease

the need for instant information, explanation and gratification

so when are we hangin for some sushi come now ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    lol, this is where we disagree the most. I can't get my head around the fact that people, including yourself, need and want the up close experience as much as possible. I know what the band looks like, so once i've seen them up close a couple of times the novelty wears off. I don't need to see their nose hairs. After all, i just want to hear the music and be surrounded by all the crazy fans. I can still see the band playing when i'm far back.

Whatever turns people on though, we can't all agree :)

its not about see their noses silly goose

its all about the vibe ,,which doesnt get any better than up close

in a seated arena all the up close people are hardcore fans (for the most part) and the vibe is the best

in the shows where i have been further back i have found myself dancing and singing to myself..and that blows
    i.e lolla me, xman, and trixie were abit further back and it was us 3 plus 5 -6 others into it
    everyone else was just standing there and the vibe wasnt that great there

so while im sure some shows have big fans in the back...ill take my chances up close

good n ight all
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,945
    I let my membership run out this year, after 13 years of having it.

I've seen them in the front row, and I've seen them from the back. After 30+ shows, my seats have never once had a huge effect on my experience at the show.

Every year they came to GreatWoods (MA) i always chose to do one night with fanclub seats, and one night on the lawn (sometimes didn't have a choice due to the 2nd show being added on late) and I always had just as much fun on the lawn. Hell, I went through TM at MSG in 2003, because I wanted to sit with a group of friends as opposed to just one friend up front.

I've never left a show saying, "that would've sucked if we weren't sitting up front" and I've also never said, "that show would've been much, much better if we had better seats"
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    its not about see their noses silly goose

its all about the vibe ,,which doesnt get any better than up close

in a seated arena all the up close people are hardcore fans (for the most part) and the vibe is the best

in the shows where i have been further back i have found myself dancing and singing to myself..and that blows
    i.e lolla me, xman, and trixie were abit further back and it was us 3 plus 5 -6 others into it
    everyone else was just standing there and the vibe wasnt that great there

so while im sure some shows have big fans in the back...ill take my chances up close

good n ight all

i agree, it's definitely all about the vibe. But for me the vibe is much better when i'm right in the middle of the crowd, jumping up and down going nuts together. Don't get me wrong , i enjoy the front. But i think it's a tad overrated; i'm obsessed with big crowds so to be in the middle of the big crowd makes me happy.

At a festival, i might try and get nearer the front because not everybody in the crowd will be hardcore PJ fans, so i'd wanna be with the fans. But, at a PJ show i won't try as hard.

• Options

I've seen them in the front row, and I've seen them from the back. After 30+ shows, my seats have never once had a huge effect on my experience at the show.

Every year they came to GreatWoods (MA) i always chose to do one night with fanclub seats, and one night on the lawn (sometimes didn't have a choice due to the 2nd show being added on late) and I always had just as much fun on the lawn. Hell, I went through TM at MSG in 2003, because I wanted to sit with a group of friends as opposed to just one friend up front.

I've never left a show saying, "that would've sucked if we weren't sitting up front" and I've also never said, "that show would've been much, much better if we had better seats"

That's a great way of thinking :) I can totally understand your logic, it really doesn't matter where you are in a PJ crowd.

In 2006, me and my girlfriend at the time were looking to get Prague tickets and we were actively looking for somewhere in the stands on the sides because we just wanted to experience the show from that part of the arena. We didn't have the burning desire to be at the front, we wanted a different show experience.

• Options
    so when are we hangin for some sushi come now ..

no reason we cant do that
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    by the way, Im not sure if you saw my response (deleted), but I was goofing on jose saying "they just wont go away"

hence the terminix reference

not directed at you!

BB is watching

as they say in Brooklyn

its all good

i missed....and i do hope that at least a little by now, you *get* my humor and realize.....*I* know you weren't referring to me, and even if you were...i take it all in good fun. it's GOOD to be a dreamer. :D

nutthin' like a good seniority/non-seniority conversation to pass a dull wednesday afternoon.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

Got to admit ... the lawn at Great Woods has always been a FANTASTIC place to see a show ... it's got a fun GA vibe with out all of the pushing and shoving.

I saw most of my Great Woods shows from there ... including the holy triumvirate in July '03. Good times!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    New Found Glory is opening for Pearl Jam? You can have my ticket from my warm alive hands.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    i missed....and i do hope that at least a little by now, you *get* my humor and realize.....*I* know you weren't referring to me, and even if you were...i take it all in good fun. it's GOOD to be a dreamer. :D

nutthin' like a good seniority/non-seniority conversation to pass a dull wednesday afternoon.

I do
    and I agree
    gotta be able to take it if your ganna dish it out!
    :)

See ya fri (weather permitting-because I do get a ride back home by car)
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    I do
    and I agree
    gotta be able to take it if your ganna dish it out!
    :)

See ya fri (weather permitting-because I do get a ride back home by car)

you really MUST be getting old. ;)

i'ts nice to be referred to as a 'newbie' at my age. :D although this is one instance that an 'old-timer' is a good thing! :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    ozpjmanozpjman Posts: 870
    chevychase wrote:
    There are some of us working class Americans that have spent years dilligently working our way up the 10 Club staircase. Inch by inch. Row by row. We have paid too much money in worthless rising membership fees through the years just to keep our seating priority. I'll be damned if I'm going to let my hard earned 12th row tickets go to some sniviling Johnny come lately punk who signed up for the 10 Club three months prior when he heard that New Found Glory was opening for Pearl Jam. You can have my ticket when you can pry it from my cold dead hands.

Considering we pay membership for the PEARL JAM fanclub, consider yourself lucky that there are even 10C tix on offer for a non-PJ show.

Whingers
    Stars walk the red carpet because they're famous - I walk the toilet paper because im the shit.
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 398
    ozpjman wrote:
    Considering we pay membership for the PEARL JAM fanclub, consider yourself lucky that there are even 10C tix on offer for a non-PJ show.

Whingers

AGREED

i usually don't call people out on their bitching cuz i've been in shitty situations too, but this is pretty sad

its not PEARL JAM, it's eddie vedder and we are lucky to have a fan club that will take care of its fans when a non-PJ show comes up.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    The Europe system rocks.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,373
    I find it funny that everyone is assuming seniority for 10club tix is now dead because of the EV mini tour. This is a different animal, small tour in small venues, I think when PJ embarks on its next tour, seniority will be back in place as per usual.
    We shall see (hopefully soon).
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    chevychase wrote:
    You are not born with the right to go see Pearl Jam. It is listed nowhere in the constitution. The 2nd Amendment doesn't read "You have the right to bear arms...and go see Pearl Jam". There are some of us working class Americans that have spent years dilligently working our way up the 10 Club staircase. Inch by inch. Row by row. We have paid too much money in worthless rising membership fees through the years just to keep our seating priority. I'll be damned if I'm going to let my hard earned 12th row tickets go to some sniviling Johnny come lately punk who signed up for the 10 Club three months prior when he heard that New Found Glory was opening for Pearl Jam. You can have my ticket when you can pry it from my cold dead hands.

rising membership fees? its 25 bucks. less than a night at the movie theater.

working class americans? like paying more money gets you a better number?

this is selfish, ego driven, and i dont agree with it. makes me wonder if you understand the bands lyrics?