Options

Drinking in Public Fine (Camden Show) $533 Unreal!!!

Comments

• Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    it sucks that these kind of things happen. This is why PJ doesn't play Raleigh anymore. Kids always get beat up by the cops and all kinds of alcohol charges (even though you are allowed to drink in the parking lot).

Check the liner notes for LO2L and you'll see a note about Raleigh. They came back in '03 and the same thing happened (I was one of the kids who got whacked w/ a cops night stick or whatever those things are). The next year, Vote for Change Tour, they played in Asheville and this year skipped over the whole damn state of NC!! Sucks for me really but I respect the bands decision. It's sad though because Alltel Pavilion really is a cool venue and kind of cheap compared to others.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    I gotta say walking through that parking lot on the way to the venue, I'm glad there were tickets. That whole lot was one big stupid frat party. There were so many games of beer-pong going on it was hard to get through. You all made a terrible mess and it was embarrassing to be a fan of a band that would have such a crowd!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    pjroo3pjroo3 Posts: 61
    Really it's my stupidity for not knowing the law. I just assumed since you could drink in the lot right in front of the police that it was legal on the sidewalk too. I actually saw a girl with her friends next to us in the lot. She had a hat with ribbons and streamers on that said "I'm 21" and she walked up to one of the Police vans that were circling with beer bottle in hand and got her picture taken with the cop.

I should have known the law before I decided to have a drink. I just wish the fine was $78 like it was supposed to be.
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    my2hands wrote:

moral to the story... dont be a rookie... and miller lite sucks :cool:

exactly
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:
    I gotta say walking through that parking lot on the way to the venue, I'm glad there were tickets. That whole lot was one big stupid frat party. There were so many games of beer-pong going on it was hard to get through. You all made a terrible mess and it was embarrassing to be a fan of a band that would have such a crowd!

A friend of mine got screwed with the 78 morphing to 500 scam. With that said, it was disgrace to see the mess of bottles and trash left behind in the parking lots. I was embarassed to be a part of that mess. I did find a trash can for my refuse.

We all could do a bit better cleaning up after ourselves.

ken
    Long time listener, first time caller
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    A friend of mine got screwed with the 78 morphing to 500 scam. With that said, it was disgrace to see the mess of bottles and trash left behind in the parking lots. I was embarassed to be a part of that mess. I did find a trash can for my refuse.

We all could do a bit better cleaning up after ourselves.

ken

I agree. I brought my own garbage bag and put everything in that. However, I noticed that pretty much every garbage can inside and outside the venue was completely full and overflowing. I saw someone finish a bottle of water and throw it on the ground next to the garbage can along with all the other overflow.

The venue needs to get its act straight too
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    PJSerf wrote:
    Wow! We ran into similar trouble at Camden 1. We got a late start and did not get down there till after 6:30, so we parked at a smaller lot off Market, not sure of the cross street. Anyhow, we had some sandwiches, and were just eating and drinking a few beers when sure enough a paddy wagon pulled up to us, and 2 cops proceeded to berate us for 5 minutes for ruining and trashing their city. Luckily, they did not cite us, but they certainly let us have it. A simple, "Throw that away" would have done. Hell, they could have just given us a ticket, it would have saved their breath from yelling at us.

And, we weren't being rude or out of line, or making any mess whatsoever.

I understand that open container is illegal. However, I'm sure someone was probably getting shot 3 blocks away, why are they so concerned about us coming into their city and enjoying ourselves. Especially when we are bringing revenue into a city that desperately needs it.

Wow! I guess you guys are ruining the city because you were having a couple of beers with your food.

It's not the crack-heads, drug addicts, drug dealers, murderers, pimps, prostitutes, gang members, corrupt police and politicians that might be doing that to the city.

What a bunch of assholes those cops are. Note to self, never go to Camden.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    pjbiz wrote:
    That's Jersey cops for ya, the absolute worst in america.

Some of you have heard this story from me before, but during the 06 tour we were doing lots of tailgating for the shows and kept a large garbage bag for all the empty cans to recycle. In between the E Rutherford shows, we went back down to Philly to see Radiohead, then after the show we drove up towards Seaside Heights to stay with a friend on the Jersey shores.

On the way there, I pulled over on the side of the highway to fix the sun roof on the van, cause it was coming loose. This was around 2:30am, within minutes, Jersey state patrol pulled in behind us and started questioned us. We answered everything, then they put us through a breathelizer and other tests for drugs and alcohol. I passed them all. Then they asked to search the van. Eventhough they probably didn't have the right to, we had nothing to hide, so I allowed them. They were definitely trying to find something to get us on.

After delaying us for an hour, one of the cops pulls out our recycling bag, which contained about 100 cans at the time, and claims that we have open alcohol in the vehicle. I told him it was for recycling, and they insist that because the cans have residue in them, we have open alcohol. Ridiculous. So a little be of bit of arguing and I realize there was no winning for so I ask to pay it off. They write me a ticket for over $600 and I must appear in court to pay it. Not online, not in person, but I had to come back to the county and appear in court.

This was inbetween the 1st and 2nd legs and I had planned to chill in Florida during the time off. So I had to drive all the way back up from Miami to NJ to appear in court 3 weeks later to pay the fine, and then drive back down to the south to start the 2nd leg.

Jersey cops suck ass!
    Jason

First off, the worst in America comment is kind of weak, while not the best, they aren't that bad.

Secondly, your stopped on the side of the road on a highway at 2:30am messing around with your van coming from a concert with a "recycle" bag full of empties; Sorry man, your story isn't warranting any sympathy and I don't really see any problem here.

State cops are involved in dealing with dead people on the road all the time, mostly due to drunk driving and such. Not all are angels but you put yourself in that situation for the most part.
  • Options
    Here is the email address of the mayor of Camden. Take 5 minutes to email her about this bullshit. mayor@ci.camden.nj.us

She hasn't responded back to my lengthy email but it would be cool to inundate her with a deluge of emails.

regards

ken
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    this sounds like it is such bullshit. Everyone should have all said 'not guilty'. They would be fucked.

So it was legal to drink in the normal lots? Cops passed by me and didnt give a second look. Maybe its because Im intimidating with my Labatt Blue beer bottles and my shades.

But seriously. Open container normally is $50-$100 (ive had one before). I think for public intoxication you have to be pissing in public, or falling down, or doing something else disorderly and I think it requires further investigating and reporting on the part of the officer....
    (any lawyers or police here?)
  • Options
    arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    yeah, he shouldn;t have been smoking.... but c'mon!! could he not have warned him and taken it away or something??
    i've been going to concerts for 25 years (eek!) and this is the first time i've seen this happen.

the guard was such a jerk.. the whole nite he was watching people's feet, making sure those on the aisle seats on the floor didn;t step over the pink taped line on the floor....

are you joking? smoking in venues is illegal in nyc not to mention smoking pot is illegal. that guy got kicked out for doing something wrong, he deserved it. no sympathy from me.
  • Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    Camden is the ghetto
  • Options
    ReleaseMe...ReleaseMe... Posts: 494
    Another good example of the police wasting their time with stupid "illegal" activities....they should be out catching real criminals
    ....which doesnt seem hard to do in Camden once the sun goes down
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • Options
    Boston21Boston21 Posts: 26
    Arakias wrote:
    are you joking? smoking in venues is illegal in nyc not to mention smoking pot is illegal. that guy got kicked out for doing something wrong, he deserved it. no sympathy from me.

It's a rock concert, not a knitting class. How many butts did Ed have in the "smoke free venue"?

I wasn't at Camden, but the cops in Mansfield have always been ridiculous (small town with nothing better to do) and the shows this year were no different.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    my2hands wrote:
    its funny... when we got there for the 2nd show we walked up to the ticket office to pick up our 10c tickets (because we are cool like that)... i put my beer in a plastic cup (because this is not my first rodeo) and my friends just walked with their open containers... so we are leaving the lot to cross to the venue and a cop directing traffic said "WHOAAAAAAA... you guys better chug those in the lot or your going to get cited... you wouldnt want a $500 fine for a fuckin miller lite would you?" the cop was totally cool about it

i had mine in a cup so i kept walking, and i wasnt drinking miller lite, because i hate it :D

haha!
    Yeah, it is a common sense issue.
    Don't be a dick.
    Actually, there was this very nice woman that came up to us in the parking lot, attempting to "bust" us for drinking...we all knew she was joking because so was everyone else. But she was taking donations for stickers and one was "don't be a dick". lol
    Another one, which cracked us all up, was "Don't leave half a beer...there are sober children in India"
    :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    I submitted information to all 4 tv stations and 2 of the local rock stations and the local radio news station. I was not ticketed. I need someone who was fined to PM me if you are willing to go public with quotes and any comments concerning this bullshit. We should not be used as roving slot machines for some corrupt local government. I know that ignorance of the law is no excuse. However, trumping up charges to increase revenues should not be condoned in any fashion. I would expect that kind of behavior in some third world country, not here.

peace

ken

don't forget to contact the mayor of Camden. Please inundate her with complaints. We owe it to all those that will attend concerts in Camden in the future not be abuse in the future. Think about it, wouldn't you have appreciated being warned about this? mayor@ci.camden.nj.us

kcv
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I submitted information to all 4 tv stations and 2 of the local rock stations and the local radio news station. I was not ticketed. I need someone who was fined to PM me if you are willing to go public with quotes and any comments concerning this bullshit. We should not be used as roving slot machines for some corrupt local government. I know that ignorance of the law is no excuse. However, trumping up charges to increase revenues should not be condoned in any fashion. I would expect that kind of behavior in some third world country, not here.

peace

ken

don't forget to contact the mayor of Camden. Please inundate her with complaints. We owe it to all those that will attend concerts in Camden in the future not be abuse in the future. Think about it, wouldn't you have appreciated being warned about this? mayor@ci.camden.nj.us

kcv
    Send the mayor a link to this thread. :cool:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015

peace

ken

kcv

I like the mass email idea....
    Has worked in the past !!!

mayor@ci.camden.nj.us

M
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Ralph wrote:
    Law abiding? I wouldn't consider public intoxication as law abiding. I do disagree with the "inappropriate behavior" charge, but a law was broken.

Hell, even drinking on your front porch is public intoxication if the public can see it. The law is messed up but it's still a law...

Lemme guess, a member of Camden's PD's finest??

...And just because it's a dumb law I'm going to follow it instead of standing up for my rights. The government loves people like you!
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    First off, the worst in America comment is kind of weak, while not the best, they aren't that bad.

Secondly, your stopped on the side of the road on a highway at 2:30am messing around with your van coming from a concert with a "recycle" bag full of empties; Sorry man, your story isn't warranting any sympathy and I don't really see any problem here.

State cops are involved in dealing with dead people on the road all the time, mostly due to drunk driving and such. Not all are angels but you put yourself in that situation for the most part.
    So one of the few people with enough decency to clean up after themselves, respectful enough of the concept of driving while sober, and with the common sense to pull over to fix a part of the car lest it fly off and strike something and thus cause an accident, is wrong to do these things?

Jeez the logic here is astounding.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    Lemme guess, a member of Camden's PD's finest??

...And just because it's a dumb law I'm going to follow it instead of standing up for my rights. The government loves people like you!

How old are you? 12? Not allowing people to get drunk and smoke pot in public places is a dumb law? What rights are you talking about? This guy must be a cop because he doesn't agree with you? I always drink at concerts, but it really is a risk that i'm taking...the only thing i don't agree with is the way they jacked up the fine

grow up pal
  • Options
    Hinny wrote:
    So one of the few people with enough decency to clean up after themselves, respectful enough of the concept of driving while sober, and with the common sense to pull over to fix a part of the car lest it fly off and strike something and thus cause an accident, is wrong to do these things?

Jeez the logic here is astounding.

Must be nice living in that nice little perfect world of yours, free of common sense and free to be completely naive.

I made my points in that post and stand by them.

We see it differently but guess what? I wouldn't be dumb enough to have empty containers of booze in the car. I would expect to have a cop pull up to me on the side of the highway at 2:30am in the morning and expect the worst. Not to mention whenever somebody tells one of these tales of injustice, they always leave stuff out that might change the way there side is percieved.
  • Options
    Please email the mayor of Camden at mayor@ci.camden.nj.us

Here are some additional addresses to email.

NewsTips@KYW1060info.com

preston@WMMR.com

Philadelphia Inquirer
    Yoni Greenbaum,
    Executive Producer
    215-575-6475

NBC 10
    10 Monument Road
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    610 668 5510

CBS 3
    1555 Hamilton Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19130

Phone Numbers
    Administrative Offices
    215-977-5300

Newsroom
    215-977-5333 (News)
    215-233-3333 (Tips Only)
    800-223-8477 (Toll-free)
    215-977-5658 Fax

E-Mail Tips

Programming
    215-977-5320

6abc WPVI-TV/DT
    4100 City Avenue
    Philadelphia, PA 19131

General Inquiries: (215) 878-9700 FAX: (215) 581-4530
    News Tip Line: #6abc from your cellphone or (1-866-639-7749) 1-866-NEWS-SIX

FOX 29
    330 Market Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19106
    (215) 925-2929 (Main Phone)
    (215) 982-5494 (Fax)
    (215) 982-5500 (News Desk)

Here is the first response that I got back from Jennifer at WYSP

This is UNBELIEVABLE! I can't understand how they can change the charge?.... And, IF the original charge was an inappropriate charge, shouldn't it just be thrown out altogether? Hmmmm....very weird. I will definitely spread the word. Unless I'm missing "something" here, this is absolutely ridiculous. I saw the public drinking going on in the parking lots with all the tailgating etc. And, I can understand them asking people to toss their beers on the way in, as you wouldn't want glass bottles or cans going into a venue like that, but writing tickets?! That's bullshit.

Yes, I will definitely spread the word.

Jennifer Reed
    Afternoons, 3-7pm
    94 WYSP, "Philly's Rock Station"

If anyone is in the Philadelphia area, please listen to Jennifer this afternoon and see if she says anything.

I also have a friend that makes skateboards for Jeff. I'm going to have him get this info to the band and let them know how their fans are being ripped off by the government of Camden.

Don't let anyone else get caught by this scam! Warn all your friends and email/tell everyone possible.

peace

Ken
  • Options
    That is ridiculous! When my buddy and I went to pick up our 10c tix we were carrying a couple magic hats just in case the line was long, but we were also drinking one one the way to the window. I walked right past a couple cops mid sip and they didn't do anything...and the beer was still in the bottle. That sucks for those people who got nailed because that cop was on some sort of power trip. How can you single out a few people from the thousands that were tailgating? Absurd!
    6/14/08 - Bonnaroo
    6/19/08 - Camden 1
    6/24/08 - MSG 1
    8/07/08 - Newark, EV Solo
    6/11/09 - Upper Darby, EV Solo
    10/28/09 - Spectrum 2
    10/30/09 - Spectrum 3
    10/31/09 - Spectrum 4
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    Yeah I’m completely surprised by this. I’ve been going to shows there for years and have never encountered a problem drinking in the parking lot.

The only thing I can think of is that the city is trying to recoup money for the cost of cleaning up that place after shows. It’s a disgrace the way some people feel they can just discard everything and anything when they walk into a show and then leave it all behind when they get back in their cars and go home.

It’s fine if you want to hang out for a while, have some drinks, some food, etc. but you if you’re an adult enough to do that you should be adult enough to pick up after yourself.

But changing the charge is ridiculous. I really don’t know how they can do that.
  • Options
    ReleaseMe...ReleaseMe... Posts: 494
    Yeah I’m completely surprised by this. I’ve been going to shows there for years and have never encountered a problem drinking in the parking lot.

The only thing I can think of is that the city is trying to recoup money for the cost of cleaning up that place after shows. It’s a disgrace the way some people feel they can just discard everything and anything when they walk into a show and then leave it all behind when they get back in their cars and go home.

It’s fine if you want to hang out for a while, have some drinks, some food, etc. but you if you’re an adult enough to do that you should be adult enough to pick up after yourself.

But changing the charge is ridiculous. I really don’t know how they can do that.
    IT WAS NOT IN A PARKING LOT! he said he STEPPED OUT OF THE PRIVATE LOT AND WAS WALKING ON THE SIDEWALK TO GET A WEENIE! therefore.....public street, open container....

i am SHOCKED at the quadruple amount of the fine, but i guess they have the power to do whatever they want (which is the bullshit part), not the fact that he could have left his beer by his car for 5 minutes
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • Options

I agree, those lots were a disgrace. I took the time to find a trash can prior to walking to the show. However, the city of Camden or the owners of the private lots that were charging 20 bucks a car certainly could have provided many more trash cans and recycling receptacles. You know that 1000's of people are about to flood an area, bringing with them a buttload of food and drink. At least provide an adequate number of trash cans to handle the crowd. Every single trash can was filled to the brim.

Plus, hauling the empties with you as illustrated prior, could lead to further fines, should you be pulled over by some cop with a hard on to fuck with you.

just my 2 cents

ken
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    IT WAS NOT IN A PARKING LOT! he said he STEPPED OUT OF THE PRIVATE LOT AND WAS WALKING ON THE SIDEWALK TO GET A WEENIE! therefore.....public street, open container....

i am SHOCKED at the quadruple amount of the fine, but i guess they have the power to do whatever they want (which is the bullshit part), not the fact that he could have left his beer by his car for 5 minutes

No need to flip out, I guess i misunderstood. Jesus.
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Must be nice living in that nice little perfect world of yours, free of common sense and free to be completely naive.

I made my points in that post and stand by them.

We see it differently but guess what? I wouldn't be dumb enough to have empty containers of booze in the car. I would expect to have a cop pull up to me on the side of the highway at 2:30am in the morning and expect the worst. Not to mention whenever somebody tells one of these tales of injustice, they always leave stuff out that might change the way there side is percieved.
    I know it's not the point you're getting at, but this basically means people should ignore the environment when they see trash everywhere- even the good people who want to do their bit to help out with cleaning shouldn't do so because the idiotic cops don't understand the concepts of recycling and being a good samaritan.

It's not about common sense. This is more to do with the values held by society. It just seems to me if your explanation exemplifies common sense in that environment than what my perspective does, then it just appears that people expect the worst among other people over there whereas things are more easygoing here.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    so if u have alcohol in a cup u can drink in the street?

my2hands wrote:
    its funny... when we got there for the 2nd show we walked up to the ticket office to pick up our 10c tickets (because we are cool like that)... i put my beer in a plastic cup (because this is not my first rodeo) and my friends just walked with their open containers... so we are leaving the lot to cross to the venue and a cop directing traffic said "WHOAAAAAAA... you guys better chug those in the lot or your going to get cited... you wouldnt want a $500 fine for a fuckin miller lite would you?" the cop was totally cool about it

i had mine in a cup so i kept walking, and i wasnt drinking miller lite, because i hate it :D