Options

Drinking in Public Fine (Camden Show) $533 Unreal!!!

Comments

• Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    When you get the ticket, do you have to sign it? If so, I didn't know they could then make changes after the fact.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    spat wrote:
    that is completely fucked up! especially when people were playing BEER PONG out in the open and the police were driving past them with no problems. I had no problems drinking right from the bottle either.

Dumb question, but are you sure you were still inside the parking area? cuz as soon as you step out they stop you.
    I agree....so where in the parking lot were you? We were all over the place, from 5 Against 1's (cover band) stage, to car hopping, bottled beer in hand,one cop even nodded to us! so where were you?
    xo
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    Someone please inform the local tv stations about this. Also let Pearl Jam know. This is nuts!
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    pjroo3 wrote:
    Wow... Camden is now my least favorite place in the universe. Went to Camden 1 and was tailgating along with everyone else. I was on my second beer when a policewoman grabbed my beer and proceeded to write me a ticket (along with about 1000 other people). She checked a box that made it a mandatory court appearance. Well, today was the court date for everyone at the June 19 show. Tons of PJ fans at the court house. The fine for "Drinking in Public" was $78 which sucks, but no biggie. Well.... when they read us our fines today, they say that they have been amended and it has now been changed to "Inappropriate Behavior" which is $500 plus $33 court fees. I was shocked! Big bummer for anyone caught up in this crappy situation. I will never attend another show in that city! Well unless PJ is there and I will not enjoy myself in the parking lot.

CALL A LAWYER. HOPEFULLY YOU DIDN"T PLEAD GUILTY??? Was it a felony charge on your record?

I have always made a habit of using the "red cups" and was actually talking to 2 cops in the parking lot sitting next to 4 coolers full of beers...maybe those freebie hot dogs kicked them off our case...
  • Options
    firecrotch23firecrotch23 Posts: 586
    i went to both shows and put all drinks in the good ol red cup. the only hastle we got was the second night, when we had a bus with about 50 people on it. the cops pulled up and asked people for id, and rolled out after checking like 10-15 ids. funny thing is that there was about 10-15 underagers there and they didnt even bat an eye at them. they should really just play the spectrum or the wachovia center when they come back
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    pjroo3 wrote:
    It was not public intoxication and I did have the beer in a cup. It was my second beer. The people who were underage got the same fine as me. I am 31 years old. Just had my first child. Wife is staying at home to watch the baby. We are living on my paycheck and this kind of fine is pretty devastating. I hadn't had a drink since she got pregnant either... Been over a year.

I was at the 8:30AM court time. They also have a 12:30PM which will probably have another 1000 people.

I figure 1000 people x $500 = $500,000 (8:30 court time)
    1000 people x $500 = $500,000 (12:30 court time)

Total $1,000,000 (1 Pearl Jam Show)

Good luck to the people who went to night two.

I'm thinking every show they are making a TON of money for the city. Where do they put all that money?

That is totally ridiculous. I guarantee they had a quota and would just bust enough people until they met it. They know any one person of the 25,000 will be drinking in public, so they go ahead and set the number ahead of time.

I'm all for arresting someone if they are completely wasted in public and causing a scene, but if you're chilling out w/ a red cup on your second beer there is just no need for that.

This story is almost as ridiculous as my friend Kevin being arrested for public drunkeness...on Bourbon street. He spent a weekend in jail.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    The $500 does seem excessive. I'm going to run this by someone who might be able to find out why. It also seems a silly and negative thing to do for a place where you'd assume they wanted people to come and enjoy themselves. Although, luring people to a summer concert, letting some drink outside and then ticketing and fining others at an exorbitant rate is pretty lucrative. Sounds like some city leaders' idea of easy money.

Camden is also one of my least favorite places. Too bad my favorite bands insist on booking shows there.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,147
    pjroo3 wrote:
    I was at the 8:30AM court time. They also have a 12:30PM which will probably have another 1000 people.

I figure 1000 people x $500 = $500,000 (8:30 court time)
    1000 people x $500 = $500,000 (12:30 court time)

Total $1,000,000 (1 Pearl Jam Show)

Good luck to the people who went to night two.

I'm thinking every show they are making a TON of money for the city. Where do they put all that money?

Thi$ is going to help a lot of the Camden crakheads ......think of the $miles that are going to come to the faces of these folks!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eQoUyWDVgBk
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    pjroo3pjroo3 Posts: 61
    bgirl59 wrote:
    I agree....so where in the parking lot were you? We were all over the place, from 5 Against 1's (cover band) stage, to car hopping, bottled beer in hand,one cop even nodded to us! so where were you?
    xo

I was in the parking lot next to Campbell Field. I had just started walking over to the other lot that had the hot dog vendor. She got me while I was standing on the sidewalk.

I thought about contacting someone, but who do you go to? I mean they are the law. Who do you complain to at this point. It was like a "fly trap" just to make money.

I can't believe of all the other Pearl Jam fans that were in the court house today, nobody else has said anything on this board.

How can they just decide to amend a fine and make it something else? Is there anyone on this board in the legal profession?
  • Options
    There were two girls behind me in line to pay that were sobbing. Everyone had full intention on paying their $78 fine and court costs and be done with it. Something seems really unusual about how this was handled. Maybe KYW, CBS3, or the Inquirer need to hear about it?

Any advise out there?
  • Options
    florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    I will not comment on your situation but...
    We skipped Camden this tour. We will also skip Camden in the future.
    Hold On
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    this is sort of related...

and i haven't seen anything about it on the board...

but at MSG2... there was a really nice guy sitting next to me
    who had been sitting near me at two previous shows (west palm and tampa)
    we chatted a bit and about half-way thu the show he sat down for a moment to smoke a bit of pot...
    there was this HORRIBLE, RUDE security guard who saw him
    and came into our row and physically removed him from his seat
    and I imagine, the venue.

it was really upsetting.

yeah, he shouldn;t have been smoking.... but c'mon!! could he not have warned him and taken it away or something??
    i've been going to concerts for 25 years (eek!) and this is the first time i've seen this happen.

the guard was such a jerk.. the whole nite he was watching people's feet, making sure those on the aisle seats on the floor didn;t step over the pink taped line on the floor....
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    hopefully the band will one day realize how bad Camden and the venue suck ass

move it to philly boys, it is way past due to abandon that shit hole. we all HATE it :)
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:

move it to philly boys, it is way past due to abandon that shit hole. we all HATE it :)

I have to say... I will NEVER return to that city to see Pearl Jam again or any other band for that matter. I have a really sour taste in my mouth for that city now. I always thought it was called tailgating. Not "Drinking in Public"

Wonder if the news stations around here would be interested in this story? Or would that just be a waste of time?
  • Options
    I really wish they would "Sticky" this thread. Maybe by some stroke of luck, someone from the band would hear about it and decide to cross over the bridge to Philly from now on.

There were two ladies that were accepting payment at 2 seperate windows. I actually heard one of them say to the other "It's a shame... Nobody will ever want to come back to see a show here again".
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,179
    Just add it to

Mansfield
    Hartford

This is just becoming the way of the new world unfortunately (as is with other ways of life). I cringe at what our freedom looks like in another 5 years.
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    my2hands wrote:

...some of the best pearl jam shows i have seen were in camden
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    IMO, seeing as all inside venues are completely non smoking (such as MSG)...if you are dumb enough to light up at your seat, you deserve what is coming to you.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    jackwvuujackwvuu Posts: 42
    it seemed to me like the cops were writing tickets to people who were drinking out of the designated spots, like the aquarium parking lots and of course as they were walking from campbell's field to the e-center....saw lots of people stopped by cops
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    jackwvu wrote:
    it seemed to me like the cops were writing tickets to people who were drinking out of the designated spots, like the aquarium parking lots and of course as they were walking from campbell's field to the e-center....saw lots of people stopped by cops

Ok - that explains things better. The main lots were full of people tail gating and having a good time with the cops being across the street and not caring. The aquarium lots are technically family lots and walking with an open container on the streets is illegal pretty much anywhere except New Orleans.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    Ok - that explains things better. The main lots were full of people tail gating and having a good time with the cops being across the street and not caring. The aquarium lots are technically family lots and walking with an open container on the streets is illegal pretty much anywhere except New Orleans.

And of course Las Vegas
  • Options
    jimbeejimbee Posts: 81
    sorry, but i can unequivocally say i would not have attended that court date and treated it like a parking ticket..it's camden for crying out loud...like they were going to extradite you? sorry...just my .02......
    * Friends don't let friends use MP3 *
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    voodoopug wrote:
    IMO, seeing as all inside venues are completely non smoking (such as MSG)...if you are dumb enough to light up at your seat, you deserve what is coming to you.

i agree with the fact that venues are non-smoking but i have never seen someone physically removed from the venue ... there is usually a flashlight shined in your face and you stop smoking.

as a matter of fact, the night before, there were people smoking cigarettes around me and the guards (different section) kept shining the light in my face and I DON:T even smoke... they were talking amongst themselves saying 'she's the one' ...

sheesh.
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    jimbee wrote:
    sorry, but i can unequivocally say i would not have attended that court date and treated it like a parking ticket..it's camden for crying out loud...like they were going to extradite you? sorry...just my .02......

Until one day when you get pulled over for speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, talking on your cell, broken taillight, etc., they run your plates and realized that there is an outstanding warrant for your arrest.

Sounds like a brilliant idea
  • Options
    Until one day when you get pulled over for speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, talking on your cell, broken taillight, etc., they run your plates and realized that there is an outstanding warrant for your arrest.

Sounds like a brilliant idea

well...i can count on one hand the time i've spent in jersey in my lifetime, so i'll roll the dice....
  • Options
    jimbee wrote:
    well...i can count on one hand the time i've spent in jersey in my lifetime, so i'll roll the dice....

You could be driving in Nebraska, Florida, or Idaho it will still come up as an outstanding warrant.
  • Options
    Does anyone know why they were allowed to change everyone's ticket from "drinking in public" to "inapropriate behavior". I would say 100% of the people at the courthouse anticipated paying the $78 fine that was posted right on the ticket. Everyone of us had to pay $500 plus court fees instead.

It was hundreds and hundreds of people too.
  • Options
    pjroo3 wrote:
    Does anyone know why they were allowed to change everyone's ticket from "drinking in public" to "inapropriate behavior". I would say 100% of the people at the courthouse anticipated paying the $78 fine that was posted right on the ticket. Everyone of us had to pay $500 plus court fees instead.

It was hundreds and hundreds of people too.

the irony is...they only have to look as far as the last governor to define inappropriate behavior ...lol...sounds like a complete railroading of your rights...did you have to pay immediately?
  • Options
    BoomerBoomer Posts: 50
    appeal.
    Canada, says Ament, holds a special place in the band's heart because of its international policies and its decision to stay out of the war in Iraq.

25 May 2005
    The Canadian Press
  • Options
    jimbee wrote:
    the irony is...they only have to look as far as the last governor to define inappropriate behavior ...lol...sounds like a complete railroading of your rights...did you have to pay immediately?

I got to pay $100 today and I'm on a payment plan for the balance. I have to pay $50 a month for the next 9 months.