Options

Drinking in Public Fine (Camden Show) $533 Unreal!!!

Comments

• Options
    pjroo3pjroo3 Posts: 61
    Boomer wrote:
    appeal.

I think an appeal would cause more court costs. Plus I would probably have to get an attorney.
  • Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    Camden is the the worst city in America along with Hartford.

Amen Brother!
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    pjroo3 wrote:
    Does anyone know why they were allowed to change everyone's ticket from "drinking in public" to "inapropriate behavior". I would say 100% of the people at the courthouse anticipated paying the $78 fine that was posted right on the ticket. Everyone of us had to pay $500 plus court fees instead.

It was hundreds and hundreds of people too.

That was my question on a previous page which no one answered. Didn't you have to sign something when you got your ticket? I just don't see how they can change it like this without telling you until you show up. Didn't anyone ask?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    ...some of the best pearl jam shows i have seen were in camden

True ... but that's due to the band, not the city. I DREAD going over there and am always grateful to have gotten back home without incident.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    That was my question on a previous page which no one answered. Didn't you have to sign something when you got your ticket? I just don't see how they can change it like this without telling you until you show up. Didn't anyone ask?

Nothing was signed on the ticket. No clear answer was given to anyone as to why they raised the fine. I don't think anyone pressed the issue because they weren't treating anyone kindly.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    i have a question...
    say they caught me (only 20 years old) drinking... and i'm not from your country...

would i be like kicked outta your country for a felony or something? i've always wondered what will happen if i get caught...

...which also didnt stop me from taking a photo of me holding a beer (in a bottle, near the police) under the sign that says no drinking :rolleyes: :D

well you didnt get caught, and you drank with us in some bars that you could get into, so don't worry :D
    next time you will be legal anyway!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    The band must burn rubber after the show to get the hell out of town at these shitty places...
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    jubilairesjljubilairesjl Posts: 497
    Another good example of the police wasting their time with stupid "illegal" activities....they should be out catching real criminals
    Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
    Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
    Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
    Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
    Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
    Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
    Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016
    NYC 5/2/2016
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Ralph wrote:
    Those two statements contradict each other...
    Public intoxication means that you are impaired....and field tests were conducted. There are laws in many locales about drinking in public...which is deemed a crime.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    pjroo3 wrote:
    Wow... Camden is now my least favorite place in the universe. Went to Camden 1 and was tailgating along with everyone else. I was on my second beer when a policewoman grabbed my beer and proceeded to write me a ticket (along with about 1000 other people). She checked a box that made it a mandatory court appearance. Well, today was the court date for everyone at the June 19 show. Tons of PJ fans at the court house. The fine for "Drinking in Public" was $78 which sucks, but no biggie. Well.... when they read us our fines today, they say that they have been amended and it has now been changed to "Inappropriate Behavior" which is $500 plus $33 court fees. I was shocked! Big bummer for anyone caught up in this crappy situation. I will never attend another show in that city! Well unless PJ is there and I will not enjoy myself in the parking lot.
    Uhhh..have you voted on this thread?

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=293568
  • Options
    WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 504
    don't know if this has been said but if the woman wrote you a ticket, did she ask for ID first? if not then how would they know WHO they wrote the ticket to and why bothering showing up or anything if that's the case.
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    over_bends wrote:
    With all the shit that goes on in Camden, good to see law enforcement doing their duty of raking money out of out of towners who are trying to get buzzed in a parking lot before they see a show.

+1 for the police on this one.

LMFAO!!
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    don't know if this has been said but if the woman wrote you a ticket, did she ask for ID first? if not then how would they know WHO they wrote the ticket to and why bothering showing up or anything if that's the case.

Yes... She asked for my ID. The ticket has my name on it.
  • Options
    pjroo3 wrote:
    Yes... She asked for my ID. The ticket has my name on it.

Well... I got my answer. It turns out the ticket for "drinking in Public" says the offense is $78 on the back.

It turns out that dollar amount is only a recommendation. The court has the right to change it as they see fit.

They are tired of people drinking in public in their city. I guess I can understand that. I wouldn't want a bunch of people walking around my house drinking. My only thought is that it was at a concert. Everyone was tailgating. Who knew that was illegal?

Well I won't be drinking for a looooonnnggg time. I also won't be going to any more concerts in Camden. So I guess they made their point and it worked.

Now I can move on and enjoy my new baby! Now that I'm a dad, i need to be as responsible as possible anyways.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    What a bunch of shit. That's ridiculous. Way to take advantage of the situation. Bastards!!!

if i was a poliiiiicemaaaan i would do the same thing.

whether you get caught or not, you're breaking the law....as i think the ones selling beer to those standing in line are also.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    :eek:
    Seriously??!?
    That is crazy!

They were very lenient in Hartford (what everyone says is the shithole of the concert universe :rolleyes: )
    We were standing by the ticket line passing around a bottle of homemade Bailey's. :p Thanx Steve. :) Yummy.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    to the OP, tailgating occurs in designated areas (parking lots and whatnot) not on city streets (where you stated you were when you got the ticket) and public consumption of alcohol is against the law in almost every city in the country.

pjbiz- it is a fairly well known law to people who live in and around NJ that they can cite you for having an open container of alcohol even if they only find a bottle cap or empty can or bottle.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    its funny... when we got there for the 2nd show we walked up to the ticket office to pick up our 10c tickets (because we are cool like that)... i put my beer in a plastic cup (because this is not my first rodeo) and my friends just walked with their open containers... so we are leaving the lot to cross to the venue and a cop directing traffic said "WHOAAAAAAA... you guys better chug those in the lot or your going to get cited... you wouldnt want a $500 fine for a fuckin miller lite would you?" the cop was totally cool about it

i had mine in a cup so i kept walking, and i wasnt drinking miller lite, because i hate it :D

moral to the story... dont be a rookie... and miller lite sucks :cool:
  • Options
    jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    this is sort of related...

and i haven't seen anything about it on the board...

but at MSG2... there was a really nice guy sitting next to me
    who had been sitting near me at two previous shows (west palm and tampa)
    we chatted a bit and about half-way thu the show he sat down for a moment to smoke a bit of pot...
    there was this HORRIBLE, RUDE security guard who saw him
    and came into our row and physically removed him from his seat
    and I imagine, the venue.

it was really upsetting.

yeah, he shouldn;t have been smoking.... but c'mon!! could he not have warned him and taken it away or something??
    i've been going to concerts for 25 years (eek!) and this is the first time i've seen this happen.

the guard was such a jerk.. the whole nite he was watching people's feet, making sure those on the aisle seats on the floor didn;t step over the pink taped line on the floor....

I'm somewhat cool with this, i don't think is pot is bad (although i do think people who let it become a part of their persona or smoke after a certain age are the lamest of the lame), but this dude was using an illegal drug in a public place, what else should he expect? Back in my high school days i smoked at concerts and looking back i would have been pissed off if i got in trouble for it, but i would have deserved it. Getting through out of a concert is much better than what would have happened to him if he was smoking in most other public venues. I know it feels like all laws are void during concerts, but it's really not true

yeah that was some rambling and might not have made perfect sense....sorry
  • Options
    agreed
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    to the OP, tailgating occurs in designated areas (parking lots and whatnot) not on city streets (where you stated you were when you got the ticket) and public consumption of alcohol is against the law in almost every city in the country.

pjbiz- it is a fairly well known law to people who live in and around NJ that they can cite you for having an open container of alcohol even if they only find a bottle cap or empty can or bottle.

I think they should move the hot dog vendor off of the sidewalk by about 5 feet so that they are "in" the parking lot. Then nobody gets a $500 ticket for walking to the hot dog stand.
  • Options
    pjroo3 wrote:
    I think they should move the hot dog vendor off of the sidewalk by about 5 feet so that they are "in" the parking lot. Then nobody gets a $500 ticket for walking to the hot dog stand.

or you leave your beer in the parking lot and walk 5 feet WITHOUT a beer to buy a hot dog and not get a $500 ticket for public consumption.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

• Options
    chromiam wrote:
    or you leave your beer in the parking lot and walk 5 feet WITHOUT a beer to buy a hot dog and not get a $500 ticket for public consumption.

So what are the areas inside the lots that are considered "public". I mean the sidewalk is in between two parking lots. The lots are "private" and the sidewalks in between are "public"? I guess now I know.
  • Options
    pjroo3 wrote:
    The lots are "private" and the sidewalks in between are "public"? I guess now I know.

that would be correct, lots are private; sidewalks, walkways, streets are all public.

Admin

• Options
    chromiam wrote:
    that would be correct, lots are private; sidewalks, walkways, streets are all public.

If that is the case, I was definitely at fault. I was on the sidewalk.
    I just wish my fine had been the stated $78 instead of $500.
    With our new baby, that is money we just don't have.

Oh well... I guess we live and learn.
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    it's obvious that it was decided that they could make a shitload of money by adjusting the $78 fine to $500....

very dirty.
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Police stopped my brother today.

Looks like Camden won the lottery!
  • Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    I was sitting on the sidewalk at 2nd and Market in a lawn chair by my car drinking openly and freely. Police drove by, not a care in the world. I consider myself lucky, but would get a lawyer to fight the $500 fine. I would rather pay a few $$$ to the lawyer rather than the Camden Court.
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Wow! We ran into similar trouble at Camden 1. We got a late start and did not get down there till after 6:30, so we parked at a smaller lot off Market, not sure of the cross street. Anyhow, we had some sandwiches, and were just eating and drinking a few beers when sure enough a paddy wagon pulled up to us, and 2 cops proceeded to berate us for 5 minutes for ruining and trashing their city. Luckily, they did not cite us, but they certainly let us have it. A simple, "Throw that away" would have done. Hell, they could have just given us a ticket, it would have saved their breath from yelling at us.

And, we weren't being rude or out of line, or making any mess whatsoever.

I understand that open container is illegal. However, I'm sure someone was probably getting shot 3 blocks away, why are they so concerned about us coming into their city and enjoying ourselves. Especially when we are bringing revenue into a city that desperately needs it.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    pjroo3 wrote:
    Wow... Camden is now my least favorite place in the universe. Went to Camden 1 and was tailgating along with everyone else. I was on my second beer when a policewoman grabbed my beer and proceeded to write me a ticket (along with about 1000 other people). She checked a box that made it a mandatory court appearance. Well, today was the court date for everyone at the June 19 show. Tons of PJ fans at the court house. The fine for "Drinking in Public" was $78 which sucks, but no biggie. Well.... when they read us our fines today, they say that they have been amended and it has now been changed to "Inappropriate Behavior" which is $500 plus $33 court fees. I was shocked! Big bummer for anyone caught up in this crappy situation. I will never attend another show in that city! Well unless PJ is there and I will not enjoy myself in the parking lot.

well, what are you gonna do, everyone knows it's illegal to drink in those places, it's the risk you take I guess.

this is how cities make money...my city LOVES handing out parking tickets (in a place where almost everyone has on street parking only). I once got a ticket for leaving my car in the same spot in front of my house for over 48 hours! (once, somehow all the other millions of times I do it it's ok)