Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    I got a power red Nike polo for Christmas. I'm ready for Augusta on Sunday!

Nice!   Seems like an eternity to be able to play in shorts and short sleeved shirt again.

Snuck out of work today though for some 50 degree golf and will again tomorrow afternoon.  Will be soggy.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,293
    Please to say I will be golfing tomorrow on January the 4th.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Excellent.  Hit them straight.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767
    Excellent.  Hit them straight.
    I would say that is not no strong suit.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Played golf today in some slop.  After we finished on 18 I threw a ball down in the rough and told my friend I'm gonna chip this in.  Probably about 30 feet or so.  Sure enough, the ball rolls to the cup, hangs out on the lip, and then falls.   I'm outstanding when it doesn't matter. 
  • Options
    Played golf today in some slop.  After we finished on 18 I threw a ball down in the rough and told my friend I'm gonna chip this in.  Probably about 30 feet or so.  Sure enough, the ball rolls to the cup, hangs out on the lip, and then falls.   I'm outstanding when it doesn't matter. 
    That's still awesome! I play decent golf, by my standards for about 6 holes. This is followed by a steep SUPER frustrating drop off for 9 holes and ending with a respectable finish. It's fucking maddening! 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    That's still awesome! I play decent golf, by my standards for about 6 holes. This is followed by a steep SUPER frustrating drop off for 9 holes and ending with a respectable finish. It's fucking maddening! 

It is so crazy.  I think the first few holes I am subconsciously warming up and not expecting to hit amazing shots on the first stretch.  Then I get loose, my expectations go up, I try to hit things farther, and then after the first bad shot things turn south quickly.  Then after a few holes I know the round isn't going to be a low round, reset my expectations, maybe find a new swing thought, and then close strong.

At the course I play the most it is almost always a tale of two nines.  I can't put good nines together.  I can play well on both nines, just not at the same time.    

• Options
    Dude, our game progressions (or regressions) seem to mirror one another. Though I'm sure my overall game is much worse. I always feel like I have to compensate right from the tee box. My distance is pure crap compared to those I generally play with. So from the get go, it is in my head that my drive needs to be accurate in order to win the hole. Hit a straight drive, then in my head I think "this is my chance to even out the hole." Talk about much UNNEEDED mental pressure I put on myself.
  • Options
    Please stop saying Patrick Reed is not good for golf. While the quality of play in that playoff and last hole yesterday was not the best....that was incredibly fun to watch. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Eh, all for villains and chaos, but golf doesn't need a cheating story line to be interesting.

That being said, I was half asleep, but do not understand how JT dropped the ball where he did on 18.  Seems to assume a pretty massive hook rather than the line he was taking.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Eh, all for villains and chaos, but golf doesn't need a cheating story line to be interesting.

That being said, I was half asleep, but do not understand how JT dropped the ball where he did on 18.  Seems to assume a pretty massive hook rather than the line he was taking.
    That hook was Jugglerish. Good on him for pulling it together though. 

And Reed's been a villain long before last month. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Wild finish last night.  Love the primetime golf.  JT winning won me a nice amount in a draft kings contest...very nice start to the year.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed watching golf that late in the evening.  Wish it could happen more often. 
  • Options
    Really enjoyed watching golf that late in the evening.  Wish it could happen more often. 
    Yeah it was fun. Took my mind off a disappointing day of football
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394

My tournament season starts next Saturday so as a fun little project I decided to strip the paintill out of my irons and wedges. I think it really makes the raw finish pop. The last pic shows what they looked like before. The wedges are not the same ones however.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    ^ Going for forgiveness this year, I see. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Joined a new golf club this year.  Has an indoor golf academy with putting and chipping inside, four heated bays to hit into the range and two golf simulator/trackman bay.  Open 6:30am to 9:00pm.  Just gotta get off my ass and get over there and hit.  Can use it to in the summer when it rains.  A lot of value year-round.
  • Options
    ^ Awesome for you! It will be fun to see how your score improves. 
  • Options
    ^ Awesome for you! It will be fun to see how your score improves. 
    I'm looking for this year to be the year I finally get better and more consistent.  Otherwise, I am wasting money and will quit the club.   It is funny.  They were talking up all of the social benefits of the club.  I just wanted to say..."I'm single.  I have no kids.  I don't want more friends.  I don't want to network.  I just want to play golf by myself."
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Played out at the Omni Amelia Island Resort this morning (live in Jax, FL)

First time playing out there. Some of the smallest and most narrow greens I've ever played. Shot 81. Should've been 4-5 shots better (3 putts 🤦‍♂️) Very pleased with that heading into my first tournament next weekend though. This is the first time I've been able to golf year round. It's definitely a game changer when you don't have to put the sticks away for 2-3 months...

Handicap is trending to 6.3 now. 
  • Options
    That's awesome!  Good luck!   6.3... Almost closer to scratch than double digits.
  • Options
    That's awesome!  Good luck!   6.3... Almost closer to scratch than double digits.
    Ha, that's a good way to look at it. About 2 years ago I was a 13. It's just so hard to get way down there. Gotta make more birdies for sure in order to supplement my bogeys. 
  • Options
    Gives hope to us double digit folks.  Obviously you put a lot of work into it.
  • Options
    Short game, short game, short game. And recovery shots. I very rarely make worse than bogey now.

Today on a short par 4 I needed to hit iron off the tee. Hit a terrible shot that still left me 195 into the green. Ended up hitting 5 iron to 15ft and made the birdie putt. It's all about the next shot.
  • Options

That makes a lot of sense.  As I've played more, I've found I rarely get more than a double bogey because I try not to compound one mistake into two or three.  Hit it in the trees just punch the best you can move on.

I'm going to track my rounds better this year although I don't know how many full rounds I'll actually play.  Track fairways, GIR, putts, birdies, pars, bogeys, doubles, etc... 

• Options
    I knew someone that did that. They kept it all in a spreadsheet and would look at it to see what needed work and how they were improving year over year. 
  • Options
    So what tournament is this?  Who puts it on?
  • Options
    So what tournament is this?  Who puts it on?
    It is the Golfweek Amateur Tour. It's a lot of fun. Tournaments are every other weekend. The regular events are just one day, and the "majors" are 2 day tournaments. At the end of the year the National Championship is a 3 day event at Hilton Head Island, SC if you qualify.

The tournaments are flighted by your handicap so you're always playing against other people of your skill level. And your "tour handicap" is determined by  how you play in the tournaments. So there's no sandbagging by saying you're a higher handicap than you really are. Most states have their own branch of the tour (Florida has 3 or 4) so you can go play in a Golfweek tournament anywhere you want. 
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:
    Short game, short game, short game. And recovery shots. I very rarely make worse than bogey now.

Today on a short par 4 I needed to hit iron off the tee. Hit a terrible shot that still left me 195 into the green. Ended up hitting 5 iron to 15ft and made the birdie putt. It's all about the next shot.
    Bite me
  • Options
    My buddy is playing Shadow Creek today. Lucky bastard
    chinese-happy.jpg