The Golf Thread

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 8,956
    lotta fun yesterday, walked the whole coarse eventually finding great spot between 15 & 16... watching guys tee off on 15, then doing a 180 to watch groups put on 16.

Following Dustin Johnson early on 3, when I literally turn around and Paulina is a foot away.... had a few brews and said hi Paulina, she was nice and said hello

i play Bethpage often and to see how much work is put in to pull this off is incredible... like I was in a different state

merch tent was huge, food n beer lines were a pain in the ass, weather couldn’t have been better
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    eddiec said:

bbiggs said:
    It’s funny that Brooks is so good. He’s a meat head. Dude looks like a linebacker. I know all these guys are in excellent shape and the training regimens are off the charts, but he’s bulky. Not your typical golfer’s physique. 
    Could prove to be his achilles heel in the future. 

LOL.  Guy is about to win his 4th major out of the last 8 and people still love to talk about how he's in too good of shape!  You must love listening to Brandel Chamblee.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    Change of the guard today?  Tiger handing things over to Brooks?
    How do you figure?  Other than the master's victory Tiger has bee irrelevant for quite a while?  And it appears he is back to irrelevant.
    They were in the same group.  Tiger is in the last stretch of his career and Brooks is going to win his 4th major out of the last 8 in Young Tiger fashion.   

No no one was dominant while Tiger was injured.  Brooks is the first to actually show signs (in majors only) of dominance.

Tiger is not irrelevant.  Not sure if you were being sarcastic.  In the space of a year he made it to top ten in the world, one major, had the best cumulative score to par in the three majors approaching the PGA, won the Tour Championship,  and finished second in the FedEx Cup. 

Rory showed some signs of dominating the majors 2011-2014 but then hasn't won a major since.  This run here by Koepka has been incredible and I am absolutely loving it.  Really don't understand all the hate this guy gets.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    eddiec said:

bbiggs said:
    It’s funny that Brooks is so good. He’s a meat head. Dude looks like a linebacker. I know all these guys are in excellent shape and the training regimens are off the charts, but he’s bulky. Not your typical golfer’s physique. 

LOL.  Guy is about to win his 4th major out of the last 8 and people still love to talk about how he's in too good of shape!  You must love listening to Brandel Chamblee.
    Not at all. 
    Just pointing out that it would be difficult to maintain that physique and stay injury free over a long period of time. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:

bbiggs said:

Not at all. 
    Just pointing out that it would be difficult to maintain that physique and stay injury free over a long period of time. 
    Why?
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    edited May 2019
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:

bbiggs said:

Not at all. 
    Why?
    For one, the torque of the golf swing. Obviously time will tell, but there is a big difference between swinging the club when you're 28 compared to 38 and the stress it puts on the upper body. There was always the belief by many that Tiger had become too muscular. If you look at guys who have had long careers, they tend to be in great shape but not overly muscular. Els is a good example, as is Michelson- long fluid swings. Vijay would be another. Again, I'm talking about longevity over 10+ years, not just 5 years, because that is what it would take to win 10+ majors.

Edit: By long careers I also mean still being relevant into their older age.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Tightening up
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Unreal
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    What the what?  This is awesome.
    Brooks is trying to show with his body language all is okay, but inside his head is spinning.  Par out and he wins.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    it’s over.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Yeah, DJ gave it back
    Bummer.  
    did I just hear that DJ has the “runner up slam”?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    CROJAM95 said:
    lotta fun yesterday, walked the whole coarse eventually finding great spot between 15 & 16... watching guys tee off on 15, then doing a 180 to watch groups put on 16.

Following Dustin Johnson early on 3, when I literally turn around and Paulina is a foot away.... had a few brews and said hi Paulina, she was nice and said hello

too funny! hitting on a WAG. :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

I did not expect the back nine today to be interesting but it was.   DJ needs to figure out how to get the W and not second place. 

I don't know what to think of that golf course.  Without Koepka it would have been an exciting tournament.  It was awesome to see the pros hitting shots out of the rough that I hit (on shorter, less thick rough for me though). 

Dude has got to be one of the more bizarre stories in golf history. 5 wins with 4 majors!! Dude could very easily end up with more major wins than normal tournament wins
    The Bethpage Ryder cup is gonna be a disaster 
    The Bethpage Ryder cup is gonna be a disaster 
    This will be a crazy match play course.  Pars and bogeys will win a lot of holes.

It would be interesting to compare how the top 15 Americans and 15 Europeans fared at the PGA.
    edited May 2019

$2M for winning the PGA.  DJ won over $1M.  That is a nice weekend.

Mapped out my week.  Weather permitting, and provided I can wake up in the morning, I plan on golfing 4 times after work (and then going into a holiday weekend!).  My favorite time on a golf course is around sunset.  It is so quiet. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:

bbiggs said:

Not at all. 
    Why?
    For one, the torque of the golf swing. Obviously time will tell, but there is a big difference between swinging the club when you're 28 compared to 38 and the stress it puts on the upper body. There was always the belief by many that Tiger had become too muscular. If you look at guys who have had long careers, they tend to be in great shape but not overly muscular. Els is a good example, as is Michelson- long fluid swings. Vijay would be another. Again, I'm talking about longevity over 10+ years, not just 5 years, because that is what it would take to win 10+ majors.

Edit: By long careers I also mean still being relevant into their older age.
    I agree with all this.
    So obviously it got close at the end, but this was a real snoozer of a major. I went out and cut the grass right at the time when he built the lead back up to 6 strokes with 7 or so to play.

I'm tired of Brooks winning all the time. I think Pebble will be a lot more interesting..
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Golf is the only sport where being fit and in shape is criticized...

Have we really seen a good sample size of muscular, fit golfers and how they are in their late 30’s and 40’s?  Tiger was really the first and I would argue his injuries are more self inflicted because he wanted to be a Navy Seal, but also overdoing the training.    Otherwise,
    we need to wait another 10 years to see how Koepka, DJ, McIlroy, etc... fare.   The violent swing will be the culprit over fitness.  
    Have we really seen a good sample size of muscular, fit golfers and how they are in their late 30’s and 40’s?  Tiger was really the first and I would argue his injuries are more self inflicted because he wanted to be a Navy Seal, but also overdoing the training.    Otherwise,
    we need to wait another 10 years to see how Koepka, DJ, McIlroy, etc... fare.   The violent swing will be the culprit over fitness.  
    This
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    edited May 2019
    Golf has been around for how many years though? If it was an advantage for longevity, don't you think we would've seen it by now?  I think you're making Eddie's point here. Also, I would not say DJ and Rory have the same body type as Brooks. They're definitely in great shape but not overly muscular, especially DJ. Guess we won't know the answer to this for another decade or so. 

And Hank Haney disagrees with you on Tiger, by the way. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Golf has been around for how many years though? If it was an advantage for longevity, don't you think we would've seen it by now?  I think you're making Eddie's point here. Also, I would not say DJ and Rory have the same body type as Brooks. They're definitely in great shape but not overly muscular, especially DJ. Guess we won't know the answer to this for another decade or so. 

And Hank Haney disagrees with you on Tiger, by the way. 
    I think we are seeing a lot of change in sport due to technology and changes in thinking.  NBA is dominated by guards and forwards versus centers.  Baseball players are swinging up on the ball now versus down with more pitchers throwing 95mph +.  Sacrificing batting average to the point of the stat not even being important.   

Tiger was really the first one to focus on the weight room.  I think it is just a complete paradigm shift that hadn’t been tested before by golfers in the past.   Technology allows for all sorts of analysis on ball speed, spin, etc... Players see the results that added strength and flexibility has on these metrics.  

I agree that DJ is more lean than muscular.  I think he is genetically predisposed to be a great golfer based on his flexibility.  Others have to rely more on strength training.  
    The most dominate golfer of all time concentrates on strength/flexibility

Rory, who while under achieving, has one of the better A games out there, concentrates on strength/flexibility

The guy who who 4 out of the last 8 majors, concentrates....

These guys are just athletes.  Why not be stronger than everyone else?

Also, I don't think people are going to care nearly as much about longevity as they once did with the money out there.  Dominate for 10 years, make tens of millions on winnings, and untold more on sponsorship's and go do your thing.  The Champion's Tour is going to be in rough shape when people don't need to play it to feed their families/pay alimony 

Who gives a shit what Hank Haney has to say...
    Also, funny that people are doing the HE'S TOO STRONG!*@(!( takes after Brooks lays waste to everyone....again.

Who cares...
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,859

"I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    I just finished reading Paper Tiger.  Pretty solid book and a Philly native, so recommended.  Not my favorite golf book by any stretch, but still good and I digress

What he talks about in the mental game is exactly the kind of stuff that Brooks talks about.  How people are already in their heads and out of it before they tee off.  How you should be completely in the zone, one shot at a time and envision that shot exactly as you want it hit thinking about nothing else

I think there is a lot too this with Brooks.  He talks about how he just blacks out.  He has one focus and it works.  I do think his mental game right now is so far and away better than everyone else.  Tiger like.