Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    And I'd bitch too if I did something my entire life one way and got a penalty for a stupid change.
    We all deal with change though at our jobs.  
  • Options
    48-39.  First time swinging a club in about 6 weeks so very happy with the round.  Probably last chance to golf until another six weeks.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    And I'd bitch too if I did something my entire life one way and got a penalty for a stupid change.
    That’s not a fair comparison. You’d be bitching too if there was a minor change, that is basically pointless, and it was something you have done over and over and over and if you go back to doing it the way you have always done it in the spur of the moment, you were docked a bunch of money.

You’d be like cool... I deserve that?
  • Options
    Like do this report, and press shift instead of enter and shift because it saves .000002 seconds  and if you do it the old way you lose $500
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    48-39.  First time swinging a club in about 6 weeks so very happy with the round.  Probably last chance to golf until another six weeks.
    Nice recovery on the back 9.  It looks like the putter came around just in time..   
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Fred couples had dinner at my house one time. I was like 8

the wife is out of town, the baby is sleeping, watching champ tour and Freddie just popped up on the tv 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    That’s not a fair comparison. You’d be bitching too if there was a minor change, that is basically pointless, and it was something you have done over and over and over and if you go back to doing it the way you have always done it in the spur of the moment, you were docked a bunch of money.

If I made 10 million a year they could ask me to wear a dress to work and I would do it.    These new rules have been out for a few months now?  Yes, some rulings have been stupid but the reason I posted what I did is because Ricky posted some video mocking the drop from the knees.    If they want to say something in interviews, fine, but millionaires posting videos mocking a silly golf rule to me means they are out of touch.

• Options

If I made 10 million a year they could ask me to wear a dress to work and I would do it.    These new rules have been out for a few months now?  Yes, some rulings have been stupid but the reason I posted what I did is because Ricky posted some video mocking the drop from the knees.    If they want to say something in interviews, fine, but millionaires posting videos mocking a silly golf rule to me means they are out of touch.

Technically the broadcast posted it no? He did it on tv. The rule is fucking stupid. Either do it normal or let them just place it. The knee does nothing. How often are these guys taking drops in their casual practice rounds that they get used to the change.

Point being $500 to you is probably similar to the $10k or whatever he was docked. It’s dumb. It gave him not advantage. If anything it’s a disadvantage. It is dumb. It is the most basic thing they do and he lost a stroke in a money tournament because of it. His caddie should probably be docked the money but regardless, it’s fucking stupid 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I just think golfers are turning into huge whiners.  The courses are more and more dull by the year because they can’t handle long rough or anything but a driver-wedge strategy.

A lot of dumb rules though.  But Ricky is being paid thousands of dollars On that hole and is acting like a petulant child.  No matter how dumb the rule.
  • Options
    I guess I just don't feel sorry for mostly country club kids. 
  • Options
    I just think golfers are turning into huge whiners.  The courses are more and more dull by the year because they can’t handle long rough or anything but a driver-wedge strategy.

A lot of dumb rules though.  But Ricky is being paid thousands of dollars On that hole and is acting like a petulant child.  No matter how dumb the rule.
    I think they’re babies too, especially when it comes to set up. But I don’t think they’re wrong on this one.  It’s dumb and pointless and no one should be losing money because of it. 

Adam scott of all people saying keeping the pin in takes the thinking out of putting. Great...that’s just the game...

all the rules are fucking stupid 
  • Options
    I guess I just don't feel sorry for mostly country club kids. 
    The guys battling on the web, and hooters and Mexico and Canada and myrtle beach tours also grew up in country clubs and are also impacted by these rules, though playing for peanuts and a stupid drop rule could cost them a web or tour card

• Options
    Gonna be 40 degrees tomorrow.  Might try to get out again if not too windy or rainy.  Nice little break from work in the afternoon.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Gonna be 40 degrees tomorrow.  Might try to get out again if not too windy or rainy.  Nice little break from work in the afternoon.
    It was close to 40 today near Chicago. Felt like 60 compared to what we’ve had. Unfortunately Sunday is back to a low of -3 so no golf in the near future. I’m getting real itchy over here. 
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Heading up to the Honda Classic today, should be great!
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,769
    bbiggs said:
    It was close to 40 today near Chicago. Felt like 60 compared to what we’ve had. Unfortunately Sunday is back to a low of -3 so no golf in the near future. I’m getting real itchy over here. 
    I've been contemplating a day trip down to Louisville or something one of these weekends if things don't change here soon.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    I tend to judge a course and tournament by its leaderboard and sweet fucking Jesus is this one bad 
  • Options
    44-42 today. Was colder than yesterday, but it was just so damn nice to be outside.
  • Options
    Fuck you all and your scores. I miss the day of that Towson dude posting 90-100
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Lol I've busted my ass at the range for the last 2 years to finally get to the point where I pretty much shoot in the 70s every time now. Last season I started as a 12 handicap and as of yesterday's update I'm now a 3.6. My ultimate goal is to try to qualify for the US Amateur or Mid Amateur. It's gonna be slow going to get my handicap any lower though. Need more birdies in my rounds.

At the range, I hit one bucket of balls. Sometimes I work straight through my hole bag starting with PW all the way through driver and finish with wedges. I hit 5 balls per club and then do whatever I want with the balls that are left. Other times I'll imagine I'm at a course I'm very familiar with and start with hole 1 in my mind and hit my driver off the tee and then whatever club I'd take to hit my approach. Then go to hole #2 and so on until I'm through 18. Then I'll start another round for the rest of the balls.

After that I chip/pitch for about 30 mins. Trying to get the ball within 3-4 ft of the pin for easy par looks. Finally, I putt. I put 3 tees down. One at 3ft, 5ft, and 7ft. Then I make 3 putts in a row from each. I don't leave until I've sank all 9 putts in a row.
  • Options
    ^ Going from a 12 to a 3.6 index year over year is a great accomplishment. Nice work. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Going from a 12 to a 3.6 index year over year is a great accomplishment. Nice work. 
    Thank you. Most of it is from short game improvement. Getting the ball up and down for par or securing no worse than bogey. When you can get those little three hole stretches where you go some combination of Par-Birdie-Bogey it makes all the difference in the world. 
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:
    Lol I've busted my ass at the range for the last 2 years to finally get to the point where I pretty much shoot in the 70s every time now. Last season I started as a 12 handicap and as of yesterday's update I'm now a 3.6. My ultimate goal is to try to qualify for the US Amateur or Mid Amateur. It's gonna be slow going to get my handicap any lower though. Need more birdies in my rounds.

At the range, I hit one bucket of balls. Sometimes I work straight through my hole bag starting with PW all the way through driver and finish with wedges. I hit 5 balls per club and then do whatever I want with the balls that are left. Other times I'll imagine I'm at a course I'm very familiar with and start with hole 1 in my mind and hit my driver off the tee and then whatever club I'd take to hit my approach. Then go to hole #2 and so on until I'm through 18. Then I'll start another round for the rest of the balls.

After that I chip/pitch for about 30 mins. Trying to get the ball within 3-4 ft of the pin for easy par looks. Finally, I putt. I put 3 tees down. One at 3ft, 5ft, and 7ft. Then I make 3 putts in a row from each. I don't leave until I've sank all 9 putts in a row.
    Good for you, dude. That is awesome. I don't have my game in a place anywhere close to that that I can convince my wife that that practice is worthy of that much time away from the family!  If I had that number perhaps, but I'll never get close to that.  Dude, I love the dream, but the US AM is never gonna happen!  Hell, I wanna play shortstop for the Yankees!  That said, if you get in the actual US Mid Am, I'll fucking travel to come follow you wherever it's at.  I am all about that kinda stuff, am a member of GAP, have walked some AM tournaments in the area and have walked the Crump cup for the last 3 years. 

I started playing around 10 years old with my old man. Got to about a 12 in high school and stopped playing in college.  Haven't been below a 15 since and not sure I am better than 18 now. I look forward to getting back into the game, but have no expectations at getting better than a 12...though my old man made strides.  Hope springs eternal.
  • Options
    ^ Having kids halts progress with a golf game quickly, but trust me, that’s not a complaint.  Now I get to take my 5 year old son to the course with me and that’s priceless. I was playing 40-50 rounds a year minimum before kids and when they were still real young. Got down to an 8 handicap which was respectable golf. Now, I can count on my hands how many rounds I get in, but hoping to double that this year. I can still throw up a good score from time to time but my consistency went out the window. Still love the game. 
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Shaping up to be a nail biter today. The course is playing tough. Especially now that the wind has picked up.
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:

Good for you, dude. That is awesome. I don't have my game in a place anywhere close to that that I can convince my wife that that practice is worthy of that much time away from the family!  If I had that number perhaps, but I'll never get close to that.  Dude, I love the dream, but the US AM is never gonna happen!  Hell, I wanna play shortstop for the Yankees!  That said, if you get in the actual US Mid Am, I'll fucking travel to come follow you wherever it's at.  I am all about that kinda stuff, am a member of GAP, have walked some AM tournaments in the area and have walked the Crump cup for the last 3 years. 

I started playing around 10 years old with my old man. Got to about a 12 in high school and stopped playing in college.  Haven't been below a 15 since and not sure I am better than 18 now. I look forward to getting back into the game, but have no expectations at getting better than a 12...though my old man made strides.  Hope springs eternal.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, haha just kidding. I know the AM is a pipe dream unless I could get to the plus side of the handicap scale. I've got the distance, just need the short game to keep getting better. It's amazing how ON everything has to be to get to that level. 
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:
    bflynn1 said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, haha just kidding. I know the AM is a pipe dream unless I could get to the plus side of the handicap scale. I've got the distance, just need the short game to keep getting better. It's amazing how ON everything has to be to get to that level. 
    Hahaha. Sorry! That is just another level of golf. Mid am is legit though dude. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    I tend to judge a course and tournament by its leaderboard and sweet fucking Jesus is this one bad 

bad good or bad bad? I thought it was pretty good.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    These are the types of tournaments I like. Tough course setup all week with a winning score of less than -10. I get tired of seeing the birdie-fests that end with a  winner at -22 or more. We have to grind around the course so it's nice to see them have to grind it out too sometimes. I know it wasn't an overall "elite" field.