Options

Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Does it have to be approved by government?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    Oh btw, now you all support private property rights!

Bake the cake! Serve the dinner!
    Within limits.  First of all, no one owns land.  Land belongs to the earth.  The earth will reclaim its own in due time.  Secondly, those who do "own" land on paper have an obligation to treat it with respect.  Abuse your land base and you put yourself (either individually or as a species) at risk.  Abuse your land base, and the earth will reclaim its own all that much sooner.

This, of course, is a biocentric viewpoint.  An anthropocentric viewpoint will probably see it differently.  But as always, earth bats last.
    The limits seem to be only what liberals feel should be the limits and they can change them to fit their agenda at any time. 
    What in the holy fuck does basic environmental science have to do with anyone being a "liberal" and of what "agenda" do you speak? 

Oh well.  I'm glad you're here to keep us amused.

I was talking about the response about "bake the cake. Serve the dinner".
    Let's be fair either you agree everyone gets served or you can pick and choose who you as the owner or manager want to serve. What's it gonna be?

Would there be a difference between not serving someone because they happen to homosexual, or not serve a group of nazis?
    Yes, I think this restaurant was even worse.
    Agree with the baker or not, they had a specific reason of religious beliefs. They were also willing to serve the gay community, just not a specific event that went against the belief. That being said, I think they should have just done it.
    Sanders was refused service for no reason other than they just don’t like her based on her political views. To me that seems far more extreme, no real reason. What if this was an Obamacare staffer that was refused service because the owner didn’t agree with Obamacare? 
    Do you really want to open up that window to discriminate against people you just done agree with?
    Im surprised at everyone supporting this restaurant owner.
    I may have a different opinion than some here. I don't believe my freedom of speech should be impeded by my government, but by my society. The double-edged sword to this is that whether my society becomes progressive and accepting, or a regressive and intolerant one, the citizenry (we) are the architects of our future society.

If I want to treat any group with special treatment, that's my prerogative, and with that act, I accept that there are potentially going to be social ramifications which could include legal protests and boycotting of my business, as are within the rights of the citizenry. I disagree with the government's intervention in such matters, as I believe we need an engaged citizenry to discuss what is just and right, and what is unjust, rather than giving us a free pass while the government mandates ethics (meaning we never truly seek justice, we only seek living within legal boundaries). The baker risked his credibility amongst society, just as the restauranteur did. Society (we) must speak up on which we deem acceptable. 
    so, in your opinion, a restaurant displaying a "whites only" sign should be legal?
    HFD - you have such a great way of presenting examples that make people think about what they wrote (and I mean this sincerely)!

In my opinion, yes, that should be legal. If we hate these behaviours, however, we should exert socioeconomic pressure to correct the social direction of the country, rather than expecting it to govern itself. This means that complacent moderates (including myself) need to wake the fuck up, and involve ourselves more in showing our nation what we're willing to tolerate or not, to create the future we want - otherwise, we risk bearing witness to the one we don't. Stop eating at that restaurant. Put flyers around town to showcase the bigotry the restaurant-owners are responsible for. 

All of this being said, I'm not 100% on this (nor am I on any topic). I just worry that we are refraining from being social warriors, claiming that the government will tell what is "right or wrong" - with full evidence that they can't discern between the two. Forcing our society to think for itself and showing the upside or downside potential of both might take that scapegoat away.
    I guess what confuses me a bit about this viewpoint, and I can see your point, in a society-governing-itself-on-its-own kinda way, is that on one hand, you often acknowledge the utter stupidity of the average human, yet you want groups of said average humans to govern themselves. 

what happens if the "whites only" crowd outnumbers the "everyone's welcome" crowd? what then? I think that's where laws had to come in. not just in numbers, but in pure selfish laziness. how many people in the right actually rise up and stand up for what's right? more often than not, the bystander effect happens, and the wrong people run amok. 

I think if you take away the legal consequence of an action, and only have in place a societal one, too often the societal one will not be enough of a detterent, or violence will erupt as a natural consequence of said action, or both. 
    Then the everyone's welcome crowd can open their own business and take over an underserved market.
    When did it become political to make a purchase. You should be able to make a purchase, buy a cake, have a dinner without any issue. 
    I support private property.
    It's open to the public so unless someone is commiting a crime or doing something that could cause harm to others or themselves, anyone should be able to make a purchase. 
    We are 180* out.  The business owner invested in the business.  The business owner should have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

The market has the right to react and support or not support.
    I referenced it before but nobody seemed to notice, but this exact idea led to 5th biggest landslide loss (in 1964 for Republican Barry Goldwater) in presidential election history. Goldwater had opposed the Civil Rights act for this exact reason: he felt, like you do, that business owners should be able to refuse service to anyone for any reason. And while that sounds good in theory, in practice, it definitively leads to racism, profiling, etc.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    unsung said:
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:

Within limits.  First of all, no one owns land.  Land belongs to the earth.  The earth will reclaim its own in due time.  Secondly, those who do "own" land on paper have an obligation to treat it with respect.  Abuse your land base and you put yourself (either individually or as a species) at risk.  Abuse your land base, and the earth will reclaim its own all that much sooner.

This, of course, is a biocentric viewpoint.  An anthropocentric viewpoint will probably see it differently.  But as always, earth bats last.
    The limits seem to be only what liberals feel should be the limits and they can change them to fit their agenda at any time. 
    What in the holy fuck does basic environmental science have to do with anyone being a "liberal" and of what "agenda" do you speak? 

Let's be fair either you agree everyone gets served or you can pick and choose who you as the owner or manager want to serve. What's it gonna be?

Would there be a difference between not serving someone because they happen to homosexual, or not serve a group of nazis?
    Agree with the baker or not, they had a specific reason of religious beliefs. They were also willing to serve the gay community, just not a specific event that went against the belief. That being said, I think they should have just done it.
    Sanders was refused service for no reason other than they just don’t like her based on her political views. To me that seems far more extreme, no real reason. What if this was an Obamacare staffer that was refused service because the owner didn’t agree with Obamacare? 
    Do you really want to open up that window to discriminate against people you just done agree with?
    I may have a different opinion than some here. I don't believe my freedom of speech should be impeded by my government, but by my society. The double-edged sword to this is that whether my society becomes progressive and accepting, or a regressive and intolerant one, the citizenry (we) are the architects of our future society.

If I want to treat any group with special treatment, that's my prerogative, and with that act, I accept that there are potentially going to be social ramifications which could include legal protests and boycotting of my business, as are within the rights of the citizenry. I disagree with the government's intervention in such matters, as I believe we need an engaged citizenry to discuss what is just and right, and what is unjust, rather than giving us a free pass while the government mandates ethics (meaning we never truly seek justice, we only seek living within legal boundaries). The baker risked his credibility amongst society, just as the restauranteur did. Society (we) must speak up on which we deem acceptable. 
    so, in your opinion, a restaurant displaying a "whites only" sign should be legal?
    Yes.  Is it right to do?  No.  But I don't believe in government forcing people to run their private business how it sees fit.

I also fully support how the market would react.  
    Except in this country, we had a little thing called Jim Crow.  It's too bad people's racial beliefs aren't directly affiliated with laissez-faire capitalism, otherwise your suggestion might work.  But unfortunately, in the real world, laissez-faire capitalism fails because of the corruption of man.  This is the same reason why the Civil Rights Act was necessary, along with Brown v Board.  History is a better predictor of events than an economic philosophy.  
    Correct me if i am wrong but wasn't that dealing with schooling?
    Not Jim Crow, that covered every aspect of life, in particular voting.  It prevented blacks from having a voice in the governed.  Brown did deal with schooling, but throwing out the Plessy v Ferguson "separate but equal" standard was probably the critical hurdle in being able to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the subsequent Voting Rights Act.  The "market" was not able to create an equal society so gov't had to step in.  
    Fair enough.  My position was based on the aspect of a private business.  Thanks.
    Understood, but what we've learned is that the market needs guardrails.  Before the SEC existed, there was rampant speculation, wild swings and total market manipulation that caused panics, recessions, etc.  Before the prohibition of monopolies, you would have one company corner the market on a necessary product, and create unfair pricing that was not market driven.  You would also have "company towns" where a business forced the employees to live, eat and shop at establishments owned by the mill, factory, etc.  The point is that laissez-faire capitalism is a great idea, but it has never been successful because of man's penchant to corrupt.  Therefore guardrails need to be established.  The same goes for the anti-discrimination laws that were enacted in teh 20th century.  
    We've never really had true capitalism though, at least not for a long time.
    But we were closer in the 19th and early 20th century and it created the very things I just outlined above.  That's my point.  True capitalism assumes the market is rational and all information is available to all (EMH).  It does not account for corruption, insider trading, etc.  It is theoretically true but NOT empirically true.  This is problem with most economic philosophies (including Communism).  
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:
    Does it have to be approved by government?
    No, but I hate to inform you, neither Ayn Rand nor Rush Limbaugh make the list.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Did she fear the elimination of the white race?
    Hmmmm...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:

HFD - you have such a great way of presenting examples that make people think about what they wrote (and I mean this sincerely)!

In my opinion, yes, that should be legal. If we hate these behaviours, however, we should exert socioeconomic pressure to correct the social direction of the country, rather than expecting it to govern itself. This means that complacent moderates (including myself) need to wake the fuck up, and involve ourselves more in showing our nation what we're willing to tolerate or not, to create the future we want - otherwise, we risk bearing witness to the one we don't. Stop eating at that restaurant. Put flyers around town to showcase the bigotry the restaurant-owners are responsible for. 

All of this being said, I'm not 100% on this (nor am I on any topic). I just worry that we are refraining from being social warriors, claiming that the government will tell what is "right or wrong" - with full evidence that they can't discern between the two. Forcing our society to think for itself and showing the upside or downside potential of both might take that scapegoat away.
    I guess what confuses me a bit about this viewpoint, and I can see your point, in a society-governing-itself-on-its-own kinda way, is that on one hand, you often acknowledge the utter stupidity of the average human, yet you want groups of said average humans to govern themselves. 

what happens if the "whites only" crowd outnumbers the "everyone's welcome" crowd? what then? I think that's where laws had to come in. not just in numbers, but in pure selfish laziness. how many people in the right actually rise up and stand up for what's right? more often than not, the bystander effect happens, and the wrong people run amok. 

I think if you take away the legal consequence of an action, and only have in place a societal one, too often the societal one will not be enough of a detterent, or violence will erupt as a natural consequence of said action, or both. 
    Then the everyone's welcome crowd can open their own business and take over an underserved market.
    You need to read a history book.  
    More than one.
    I have a feeling he's more into Ayn Rand's work.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:

More than one.
    I have Atlas Shrugged but haven't read it yet.  I'm more partial to Solzhenitsyn, Hoppe, Mises, and Paul.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:

More than one.
    I have Atlas Shrugged but haven't read it yet.  I'm more partial to Solzhenitsyn, Hoppe, Mises, and Paul.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:

More than one.
    A lot of people read Solzhenitsyn because of his anti-Communist views.  But read his commencement speech to Harvard to get his view of the Western World.  
  • Options
    Something messed up in my prior post.

Let's just say I'm laughing out loud at that claim.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    PJ_Soul said:
    People, laws against posting signs saying "whites only" were made for a reason, and I think it shows a shocking amount of ignorance of the fight for civil and human rights that happened during the Jim Crow years for people to actually again believe that laws against this kind of thing are not absolutely necessary. This is crazy talk, and I can barely believe I'm reading it here (from anyone other than unsung).
    Sorry PJ, this is the Americans only forum. Please post your responses in the appropriate threads.
    Feel free to post in the Tim Hortons thread any time.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I can read!

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:

I can read!

Oh yeah?  Well I can do ya one better, buddy!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:

I can read!

That Friedman book will corrupt your mind 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:

I can read!

LOL

Gotta admit though, I'm impressed seeing Zamyatin's We in the mix.  Surprisingly unknown title.  Also happy any time I see Mr. Vonnegut on a reading list!  Hi ho!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Don't know that book.  I'll have to check it out.  We could use abook thread
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Don't know that book.  I'll have to check it out.  We could use a book thread
    I was turned on to Zamyatin years ago by a friend who was a Russian lit fanatic.  Besides the well known great like Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, he also turned me on to Zamyatin, Pushkin, and Mikhail Bulgakov who's Heart of a Dog is a long-time favorite.  

There is a book thread on AMT but it would be cool to have one here to see what folks who post here are reading.

• Options
    See I used to be a Dem.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:

I can read!

Oh yeah?  Well I can do ya one better, buddy!

Impressive.
  • Options
    The blue ones are an early edition of Anna Karenina in Russian.  Older Russian.  I have it in English as well and well it doesn't translate very easily.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:

I can read!

That is a Hayek book, Friedman wrote the foreword.  Great read, check it out.  Human Action was the one that was tough to get through, had to re-read many paragraphs more than three times.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:
    rgambs said:

I can read!

That is a Hayek book, Friedman wrote the foreword.  Great read, check it out.  Human Action was the one that was tough to get through, had to re-read many paragraphs more than three times.
    So if you've studied all of these,  you must understand how,  while capitalism is the greatest of all economic systems,  it has flaws that can't let it operate in a complex international economy completely unfettered. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,562
    Back on topic....

This is the person behind the wh immigration policies......

• Options
    Back on topic....

This is the person behind the wh immigration policies......

I know people have been saying it's not cool to punch people... but t would be cool to punch these guys in my mind.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    The Nazi comparisons really are hysterical.  All you are doing in minimizing the Holocaust.  At least keep the comparison in context.
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited June 2018
    unsung said:
    The Nazi comparisons really are hysterical.  All you are doing in minimizing the Holocaust.  At least keep the comparison in context.
    Geezuz Unsung.

Nobody is comparing this point in time to the aftermath of the Holocaust. They're expressing that there are similarities between now and the outset of the Nazi part and its ambitions.

Its hysterical if you can't acknowledge these which are obvious as the nose
    on your face.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,665
    So what social welfare programs are going to be cut to pay for this boondoggle? Oh, too politically challenging and tough negotiations with congress for tough guy Team Trump Treason? Yea right, just add it to the deficit. Fiscal conservatives my ass. Fucking hypocrites.

Trump’s Family Detention Policy Will Cost Billions Of Dollars That ICE Doesn’t Have - HuffPost https://apple.news/A51ODpeDUQdSIxc2U4286kw
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    So what social welfare programs are going to be cut to pay for this boondoggle? Oh, too politically challenging and tough negotiations with congress for tough guy Team Trump Treason? Yea right, just add it to the deficit. Fiscal conservatives my ass. Fucking hypocrites.

Trump’s Family Detention Policy Will Cost Billions Of Dollars That ICE Doesn’t Have - HuffPost https://apple.news/A51ODpeDUQdSIxc2U4286kw
    Pretty simple solution there, agree waste of money.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Geezuz Unsung.

Nobody is comparing this point in time to the aftermath of the Holocaust. They're expressing that there are similarities between now and the outset of the Nazi part and its ambitions.

Its hysterical if you can't acknowledge these which are obvious as the nose
    on your face.
    Thirty all the Nazi comparisons do is minimize what happened during that time, as if the plights are the same.  It is ridiculous.  A closer comparison would be the internment camps where FDR locked away people, mainly because they didn't GET MURDERED.

By all means keep the comparisons coming and when Trump get re-elected you only have to look in the mirror as why.  

Nobody is buying the Nazi comparison.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,665
    unsung said:

Pretty simple solution there, agree waste of money.
    Are you suggesting a “final” solution?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©