I'm Begging you...Put DOWN your cameras

Comments

• mkeen411mkeen411 Posts: 103
    I've never really been bothered by this until last night.

Guy in front of me was trying to get a photo of the back drop for 7 - 8 songs!

I mean yeah if he wants a pic of it go for it... but come on. get a hold of yourself. why are you even here? obviously not the music. to get a shot to brag to your so-called friends? what a tool.

Get into the show. Let loose. Don't take yourself seriously. People have forgotten how to have fun.

i haven't
  • release00release00 Posts: 347
    Phil100981 wrote:
    hey I am bringing my cmaera to hartford and Boston. I'll let you know now it will be up 100% of the time. Don't like it A.) I dont give A Fuck. B.) I guess you should of joined the Fan Club before me so you arent stuck behind me.

If that's how you enjoy a show to the fullest man...go for it, I guess
    "So much it dont show"
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    The thing that gets me, and this goes outside of concerts to other things as well, is people go to these things that are supposed to be fun, and so much of it is spent holding the camera, looking through the viewfiner, worrying about production (holding it steady), and when all is said and done, how fun was it? Wouldn't you want to have 100% enjoyment, not being encumbered with all that hoccum involved with the camera? So then, you literally miss half the concert because you're fiddling with the camera, and you get home and watch it on the computer or whatever and what you see is so far short of the full experience of being there. I like to take it all in and lose myself, not holding anything, camera or otherwise (thanks 10c for poster presales so I don't have to hold that either through the show). And yes, it is pretty annoying if after years of waiting for the band to come to town, paying all that money, etc., you have someone blocking your view all night with an illuminated viewfinder. I say take pictures in moderation but most importantly, enjoy the show, indulge in that, have fun.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    smellrose wrote:
    ... It's the steady eddie (pardon the pun) statues that are shooting video 90% of the show. It's like having a a pole in front of you the whole concert. ...

That's a great way of putting it! I wonder if the same people who insist on holding up their cameras during most of the show would take kindly to having their own view obstructed by something out of their control.

As others have mentioned, I don't mind the occasional shot being taken, but more times than not, I wind up behind someone who refuses to put the camera down. It gets frustrating!
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    demetrios wrote:

NYCPJ, those are some great shots. Sure those came out of a small, handheld camera?

Thanks!
    Yes -- the Beacon shots were with a Sony Cybershot DSC-H10; its not as small as a blackberry, but certainly fits in my pocket.

The Philly shots were taken with a Sony DSC HX1. It has a much better zoom and my seats at Philly were right near the stage (here is a shot without the zoom)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlbnyc/406 ... 578315231/

The HX1 is a point & shoot, non-professional camera with no detachable lens, so i think it fits in the definition of allowable cameras, though I conceed that, while not a big as an SLR, its probably bigger than most small handheld point & shoots.
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 256
    I don't know what the solution to the problem is. Back in the day if there was a videotaper spotted they would tackle the guy. Now everyone thinks they're Scorsese with an Iphone. So what do you do?

You can't confiscate everyones cell phones.

I think if PJ would release every show on DVD and release more stills than like 6 from every show, less people would spend the whole time taping.

Why would you waste your time creating your own shakey-cam version, if you know for like $10 or $15 you could have a high def professional version of the show.
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    Soybeans wrote:
    I don't know what the solution to the problem is. Back in the day if there was a videotaper spotted they would tackle the guy. Now everyone thinks they're Scorsese with an Iphone. So what do you do?

I think if PJ would release every show on DVD and release more stills than like 6 from every show, less people would spend the whole time taping.

Why would you waste your time creating your own shakey-cam version, if you know for like $10 or $15 you could have a high def professional version of the show.

I thought videotaping wasnt allowed?
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
    It's not supposed to be, but this is what we're talking about. It goes on all the time. Take a look at youtube.
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    Soybeans wrote:

Totally agree. Even if they had a single camera which showed the whole stage on the screen. No special effects, closeups, fancy production. Maybe mounted where the sound stage is, nothing fancy. Then make the sound the same as the bootleg and allow you to purchase this DVD version as a $5-$10 up-charge from a regular bootleg purchase. Wouldn't it be worth $10 to get a steady, 1/2-way decent video and not have to hassle with taping yourself? And like this guy says, you're not annoying anybody then.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    i will never not bring my camera to a show. my memory is crap and i can never remember anything that happens which is a shame because i'll forget some of the most memorable (haha) nights of my life. it's just a good thing that i don't need it to be pointed straight at anywhere and can take a general video of what's going on around me. as long as i have good enough audio and a general view of anything i'm good :thumbup:
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
    Soybeans wrote:

Totally agree. Even if they had a single camera which showed the whole stage on the screen. No special effects, closeups, fancy production. Maybe mounted where the sound stage is, nothing fancy. Then make the sound the same as the bootleg and allow you to purchase this DVD version as a $5-$10 up-charge from a regular bootleg purchase. Wouldn't it be worth $10 to get a steady, 1/2-way decent video and not have to hassle with taping yourself? And like this guy says, you're not annoying anybody then.

I like your idea of a "no frills" steady cam. I know I'd purchase it.

How about taking it a step further....Make the steady cam available as a live webcast. I know I'd pay $10 per show for that. I also would not go to less shows because of it.

The band needs to think about different ways of generating income before tickets are over $100. At that point I will def go to less shows.
  • Phil100981Phil100981 Posts: 131
    Phil100981 wrote:
    hey I am bringing my cmaera to hartford and Boston. I'll let you know now it will be up 100% of the time. Don't like it A.) I dont give A Fuck. B.) I guess you should of joined the Fan Club before me so you arent stuck behind me.

I hope someone tosses a beer on it.

OK KAT so this comment isn't rude or abusive in anyway??? Go ahead throw a beer at me or my camera see if I give a damn.
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense

• given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    100% agree.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • KatKat Posts: 4,840
    Phil100981 wrote:
    Phil100981 wrote:

I hope someone tosses a beer on it.

OK KAT so this comment isn't rude or abusive in anyway??? Go ahead throw a beer at me or my camera see if I give a damn.

That comment (and others, yours included) prompted this:
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=131913&start=15#p2973001

And you don't know who was contacted in PM.

Come on now...keep up! x

)
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Behind a guy with a camera most of the show last night. At one point he actually had that and his iphone filming at the same time. That was sort of mind-boggling.
    Actually I respected him a bit more by the end, since he was at least getting into the show while a big chunk of people around us were either sitting or cleared out of the concert early for some reason.
    "Greater men have made it here only to turn back,
    So cut me loose, if you want, or tighten up the slack"
  • MahaloevMahaloev Posts: 305
    Phil100981 wrote:

Could you please share them with me via e-mail!? :D
    The Stars, the Snow, the Fire
  • grizahamgrizaham Posts: 338
    Catch 22

Dislike all the cameras at concerts

LOVE the youtubes of the concerts..

Damn! :lol:
    Seen PJ 21 times live from 1994-2019

Phil100981 wrote:

Could you please share them with me via e-mail!? :D

what do you want me to share with you files I record from the shows.

I've been told thats bootleging and I can't do it so if thats what you were hoping for sorry.

• I'm real cautious about gripping about anything that has to do with the camera rule, b/c I'd rather put up with a few annoying people and have they opportunity to take a few pics during the show myself rather than chance getting the rule changed. It really boils down to people being considerate of others, if you have floor seats don't be a jerk and block the view of others behind you by holding up a camera or sign throughout the entire show. My own personal camera policy is that I want to get a few great pics and a couple of good videos, purely for my own souvenir to remember the show. I find that I can't enjoy the show if I'm constantly flashing my camera or recording. So, it's really beyond me why somebody would want to record an entire show anyways.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
    It really boils down to people being considerate of others, if you have floor seats don't be a jerk and block the view of others behind you by holding up a camera or sign throughout the entire show.

Sadly, most people aren't considerate of those around them.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
    Like I said before: those ppl complaining others shooting video@ shows, won't be complaining when they get their hands on to those videos...
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    ski4 wrote:
    yeah this is a thing im torn on.
    it annoys me but i find my self scouring you tube for vids after each show

it would be nice if people were a little more kind and kept the camera at head level and not up in the air

But how many of these videos on Youtube are quality? Its great when people post good ones, but I see so many crappy Youtube videos that I cant understand why someone would waste their time posting them or shooting them for that matter.
    TT8270 wrote:
    Like I said before: those ppl complaining others shooting video@ shows, won't be complaining when they get their hands on to those videos...

Do you disagree that there's a way to shoot video/take photos without obstructing the view of others though?
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Cameras ruined sports events and they ruined concerts. Rather than getting involved and savoring the experience people rather put it on a screen so they can watched what they missed later when their balls sag.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Laf9124Laf9124 Posts: 342
    I'm lucky in that I'm tall enough to be able to take pictures without raising the camera above eye level, thus not blocking anyones view. Although with that said, normally I take about 10 pictures max total(usually at beginning and during Yellow Led) and then rock out the rest of the time. The pictures are cool to have, but I have too much trouble standing still to take them at a PJ show.
    TT8270 wrote:

You make a great point!!!!

Wish I Was wrote:
    TT8270 wrote:

Do you disagree that there's a way to shoot video/take photos without obstructing the view of others though?

there defiantly are ways if the seating is teired but if you are on the floor than there isnt much that can be done.

Well I guess after listening to everyones comments on the camera subject I have decided that I will bring my camera to the Hartford show where I know I can freely use my camera without blocking anybodies view for the entire show (if I feel the need to do that). I have a seat in one of the sections in the lower loge area and will not need to keep the camera over my head to take pictures. As for the Boston show I do not know where I am sitting yet so if I am fortunate enough to have a floor seat I will only occasionally take pictures as to not bother anybody who is in my general area behind me. I would also like to apologize to anybody in this thread that I offended by either abusively or rudely leaving comments that were basically not needed. These past few weeks have been very tiring on me for many different personal and family reasons. I would like to put in this past and hope we can all just move along from this and in the future have more constructive posts. I am new here to the board I didn'r know all the rules before I started posting away and I am sorry for that since then I have read the Forums Guidelines and will from here on out follow them to the best of my ability.
    If anybody would like to see any of the pictures and possibly just a few videos (not the whole show) please feel free to PM me and after the concerts I will share with you my pictures and memories.
    Phil

Phil100981 wrote:
    Wish I Was wrote:
    TT8270 wrote:

there defiantly are ways if the seating is teired but if you are on the floor than there isnt much that can be done.

Actually, there is. You can be considerate of those around you and refrain from using your camera for the majority of the show. Or you can hold the camera in front of you at eye level rather than above your head. As I said earlier in this thread, I have no problem with the occasional photo. It's when someone blocks my view to the point where I'm completely taken out of the moment of what's actually happening on stage that it becomes rather annoying. I didn't pay to see PJ perform through someone's viewfinder. And I don't see how it's an unreasonable request to make that people take a moment to consider this.
  • The same people complaining about concertgoers recording video are the same people who go to youtube to look for 'shaky" videos of the concert they recently attended to save it on their playlists. If it wasn't for people like us all you would have is simply the memory of the show. To each his own is what I say. I'm bringing my cam and no one is going to prevent me from having some memories to look back on whether it's pics or vids. I will respect and keep my cam eye level so don't give me shit if you think I'm a douche for taking pics & recording videos. What I record is for my personal use at home and will not be shared. When you pay for my camera then you can tell me what to do with it. Either way enjoy the show and don't worry what other people do during the show(excessive drinking, smoking pot, talking endlessly,etc...) I'm not gonna stop ya from singing along to every song even if your voice is horrendous. Enjoy the show whatever way you feel like.
    Everything has chains, absolutely nothing's changed...