Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,513
    Still early, but Oakland is doing much better than anyone, including myself, would have ever imagined.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,928
    thoughts on umpire Angel Hernandez situation. Looks like this dude has a bad reputation as an umpire

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    thoughts on umpire Angel Hernandez situation. Looks like this dude has a bad reputation as an umpire

I always go back to this meme about him:

For those that haven't seen this, she threw a grounder towards the camera man on the left.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    It's amazing that he still has a job.  He's just so bad.  Is MLB unable to do anything about this?  I know the umpires have a union but this guy is a disgrace.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    edited April 2022
    It's amazing that he still has a job.  He's just so bad.  Is MLB unable to do anything about this?  I know the umpires have a union but this guy is a disgrace.
    Umpires STILL calling balls and strikes is a disgrace in it's own right. There's no need for it. They tested a computer system in the minor leagues a few years ago and it worked great. Basically, there's a guy in a control room monitoring that strike-zone box that you see on TV broadcasts, and he communicates with the home plate umpire via a microphone and tells him whether to call it a ball or a strike. 

Umpires got upset about this of course, but fuck them. Many people have lost their jobs due to automation. And this isn't even calling for their jobs to be taken away. They'd still be there....and their jobs would be EASIER. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Umpires STILL calling balls and strikes is a disgrace in it's own right. There's no need for it. They tested a computer system in the minor leagues a few years ago and it worked great. Basically, there's a guy in a control room monitoring that strike-zone box that you see on TV broadcasts, and he communicates with the home plate umpire via a microphone and tells him whether to call it a ball or a strike. 

Umpires got upset about this of course, but fuck them. Many people have lost their jobs due to automation. And this isn't even calling for their jobs to be taken away. They'd still be there....and their jobs would be EASIER. 
    Yep it will be here at some point and I'm all for it.  It's just amazing to me that a guy like Hernandez who is widely known as the worst umpire in baseball continues to call games.  It's insane.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491

Yep it will be here at some point and I'm all for it.  It's just amazing to me that a guy like Hernandez who is widely known as the worst umpire in baseball continues to call games.  It's insane.
    remember the playoff game where then-Marlin livan hernandez got a bazillion K’s vs. the braves? who was the home plate ump in that one?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I see calls worse than that Schwarber bitch fit every game.

Angel Hernandez blows.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040

Somebody in a booth away from the plate calls what they see in a box?

I question how they know where it breaks over the plate?

You would have to have two views, a profile and a plan.  That could determine a ball or strike but not one view from 100' away.

I once had an argument from a group of parents when I was umpiring little league games.  The kid was throwing lobs to home plate and the catcher was 5' behind home plate.  When the catcher caught the ball it would look to be in the strike zone.  I kept calling balls.  Parents were getting peaved at me.

I called time and walked up to the parents and said the kid is throwing rainbows and they are crossing the plate over the batters head and landing at what looks like the strike zone beyond the plate, now if you want your kids swinging at balls over their heads I will call that a strike every time.  If you want me to call the balls and strikes on how they were meant to be called then that's a ball every time.

Every parent looked down and kicked rocks, not one had a comment for me.

I then explained to the pitcher where a strike was and for the catcher to move further up so the pitcher has a better aiming point to cross the plate.

The game proceeded without a hitch after that but the parents were all butt hurt.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    We can send people to space, I am pretty sure we can use a machine to understand if a ball crosses a plate
  • Options
    We can send people to space, I am pretty sure we can use a machine to understand if a ball crosses a plate
    Apparently we can't, lol.

I don't like it in that a pitcher needs more help and gets that by an expanding strike zone.  Using a machine then that batter knows the ball outside of the zone is a ball and would never swing.

That is my opinion on that.

If you want machines calling strikes then let the pitchers raise the mound back up.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    So batters shouldn't have to only judge if a pitch is a ball or a strike, they should also have to judge how competent the umpire is in accurately calling balls and strikes?
  • Options
    So batters shouldn't have to only judge if a pitch is a ball or a strike, they should also have to judge how competent the umpire is in accurately calling balls and strikes?
    It's been part of the game since it's inception, no?

I understand the gripes but to me the batters are always getting the advantages.

I like spider tack.  Raise the mound back up, I root for the pitcher, I'm a rare breed I'm sure.

Did you read that they were thinking about moving the pitchers mound even further back?  Who does that help?
  • Options

You would have to have two views, a profile and a plan.  That could determine a ball or strike but not one view from 100' away.
    The guy that operates the "box" will immediately know if it's a ball or strike and will communicate that to the home plate ump via bluetooth or some similar communication device. 

As for where it breaks over the plate, I assume that's taken into account for "box." 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

The guy that operates the "box" will immediately know if it's a ball or strike and will communicate that to the home plate ump via bluetooth or some similar communication device. 

As for where it breaks over the plate, I assume that's taken into account for "box." 
    So I'll go back to this.

How does one know where it breaks over the plate from a box?  

If you have a cube superimposed on a screen and it crosses that then yes, I could see that but from just a box?  Nope.
  • Options

So I'll go back to this.

If you have a cube superimposed on a screen and it crosses that then yes, I could see that but from just a box?  Nope.
    Well a cube might be how it's determined. They show the box on the TV broadcast, but I imagine the technology that determines exactly where the pitch shows up on the box is probably a cube (or something to that nature). 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

So I'll go back to this.

Well a cube might be how it's determined. They show the box on the TV broadcast, but I imagine the technology that determines exactly where the pitch shows up on the box is probably a cube (or something to that nature). 
    I'm curious about this.  Now I need to find out how they do it...
  • Options
    Players are saying there is a "baseball" problem.  Pitchers can't hold on to the ball and keep hitting batters...

• Options
    edited April 2022

So I'll go back to this.

I'm curious about this.  Now I need to find out how they do it...
    Yeah let me know if you do. I'd be curious to see how "perfect" a system it could be. Here's some info from when this was announced for the minor leagues.....

Automated strike zone coming to minors but a while from MLB - ABC News (go.com)
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I would prefer they just make the umps better. Get rid of the completely negligent calls. I like the gray area that an on pitcher can exploit. If they’re making a specific box a strike with no room for interpretation…eh, don’t think so. I’d be more in favor of using the remote system for quick ball/strike correction.

• Options
    Wow, Trevor Bauer suspended for two years!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,245
    See you in 2024 asshole! He's getting the Michael Vick treatment, but still got his full salary last year and 4 million this year already so not like he's struggling.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    See you in 2024 asshole! He's getting the Michael Vick treatment, but still got his full salary last year and 4 million this year already so not like he's struggling.

he is? i didn't know that, damn!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    What did he do wrong? 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,636
    Choking women out,  sodomizing them when they are out.

Or, nothing, if you ask him.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Jrod finally hit his first HR of the season...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    And Witt hit one yesterday as well.

BIG congrats to Dusty Baker!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

Dusty Baker...  He needs to win a damn ring.  He has had soooo much talent through his years and can't get that last piece of hardware...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mfc2006 said:

Dusty Baker...  He needs to win a damn ring.  He has had soooo much talent through his years and can't get that last piece of hardware...
    Hoping that this year is the year!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:

Hoping that this year is the year!
    I don't think it happens.  He is always a step behind when he makes it to the WS...