Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    Gone are the days of playing for one team your entire career.  It sucks.  No one gives a shit about anything but money in this world.
    People say you wouldn't understand the position that these sports people are in.  Bullshit.  I can leave my company right now to go make more money but I am happy where I am.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Gone are the days of playing for one team your entire career.  It sucks.  No one gives a shit about anything but money in this world.
    This is what I hate most about MLB right now, with a close second the eradication of the minor leagues and competitive baseball in communities across the USA.

I really wish they tied players salaries to revenue with a minimum and maximum cap like the NHL and NFL have.  This allows teams to budget and keep their most iconic players if they want (sometimes with help via rules like the franchise tag).   Many teams are never going to be able to keep their star players past the age of 25 or 26.  

A big allure of MLB is the familiarity of big names with their teams.  Ripken/Orioles, Banks/Cubs, Aaron/Braves, Kaline/Tigers, etc.  They move team to team and it erodes their iconic status as well as the overall historical identity of the franchise.  Fred McGriff.  Great player, but nobody gives a shit about him because he played for like 6 teams.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    This is what I hate most about MLB right now, with a close second the eradication of the minor leagues and competitive baseball in communities across the USA.

I really wish they tied players salaries to revenue with a minimum and maximum cap like the NHL and NFL have.  This allows teams to budget and keep their most iconic players if they want (sometimes with help via rules like the franchise tag).   Many teams are never going to be able to keep their star players past the age of 25 or 26.  

A big allure of MLB is the familiarity of big names with their teams.  Ripken/Orioles, Banks/Cubs, Aaron/Braves, Kaline/Tigers, etc.  They move team to team and it erodes their iconic status as well as the overall historical identity of the franchise.  Fred McGriff.  Great player, but nobody gives a shit about him because he played for like 6 teams.
    I stopped buying player jerseys because of this.  I bought a Jose Reyes jersey when he was on the Mets.  Next year he goes to the Blue Jays...
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Olson 8 year extension not gonna get many hometown discounts but that’s probably moot at this stage in the game. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    edited March 2022
    MayDay10 said:

I stopped buying player jerseys because of this.  I bought a Jose Reyes jersey when he was on the Mets.  Next year he goes to the Blue Jays...
    The main problem with Baseball is that it's a really hard sport for 1 specific player to lead a team to a championship. A great pitcher still only pitches for about 20% of his team's games, and even then, only about 3/4 of those games at best. A great hitter, can get on base 40 - 50% of the time and still be the only few runs that team generates. In football, Tom Brady can dominate for years and be responsible for almost all of his teams scoring because he plays every games, the whole game. Basketball is similar, but star players do at least sit for a few minutes a game, but ultimately can dominate the whole game every second they play. Hockey strays a little more than basketball because they have different lines, but an all-star goalie can bring a team to a title with a few decent scorers and defenders.

As a Twins fan, the Joe Mauer commitment was both a boost to the fanbase and a boon because investing that much money in one guy in baseball isn't very conventional. Watching a young Johan Santana pitch was amazing, but he had nothing around him for most of his years here so what do you do? The small markets don't have the money to hold on to these guys and add AS caliber pitchers and support hitters in the middle of the line-up. We can see that even spending tons of money (cough-cough Yankees) doesn't translate to titles that often. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    MayDay10 said:

The main problem with Baseball is that it's a really hard sport for 1 specific player to lead a team to a championship. A great pitcher still only pitches for about 20% of his team's games, and even then, only about 3/4 of those games at best. A great hitter, can get on base 40 - 50% of the time and still be the only few runs that team generates. In football, Tom Brady can dominate for years and be responsible for almost all of his teams scoring because he plays every games, the whole game. Basketball is similar, but star players do at least sit for a few minutes a game, but ultimately can dominate the whole game every second they play. Hockey strays a little more than basketball because they have different lines, but an all-star goalie can bring a team to a title with a few decent scorers and defenders.

As a Twins fan, the Joe Mauer commitment was both a boost to the fanbase and a boon because investing that much money in one guy in baseball isn't very conventional. Watching a young Johan Santana pitch was amazing, but he had nothing around him for most of his years here so what do you do? The small markets don't have the money to hold on to these guys and add AS caliber pitchers and support hitters in the middle of the line-up. We can see that even spending tons of money (cough-cough Yankees) doesn't translate to titles that often. 
    Farm system.  Angels learned that their pitching sucks.  So, they went and drafted a pitcher in all 22 rds of the draft.

Yankees are famous for developing talent and trading it off too.

My Halos are holding on to Ohtani, Trout Rendon and Syndegard.  This is big time spending for them.  Let's hope it pays off and the pitchers they drafted can come up soon to cash in on these players.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
    Braves have been lucky to sign players for "cheap". 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    People say you wouldn't understand the position that these sports people are in.  Bullshit.  I can leave my company right now to go make more money but I am happy where I am.
    I get it but you chose to work for that company, they didn't draft you.  Sports loyalty only exists with fans, not players and definitely not owners.  Players are pretty much stuck on a team for a certain period of years just because they were drafted, to think a player should be loyal to a team just because they had a certain pick one year is pretty absurd.  Players don't have a choice for their best years and owners manipulate their service time to screw them out of money, especially small market teams so I find it hard to blame a player to want to explore their options.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,507
    They fucking kill me.  They did get a good pitcher, allegedly, but still....being a reds fan hurts, these days!
    It’s hurt for awhile, hasn’t it? Their owner needs to go.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    apirk72 said:
    I get it but you chose to work for that company, they didn't draft you.  Sports loyalty only exists with fans, not players and definitely not owners.  Players are pretty much stuck on a team for a certain period of years just because they were drafted, to think a player should be loyal to a team just because they had a certain pick one year is pretty absurd.  Players don't have a choice for their best years and owners manipulate their service time to screw them out of money, especially small market teams so I find it hard to blame a player to want to explore their options.
    I'll use Atlanta as an example.

They won a WS last year.  Atlanta isn't Milwaukee.  Freeman signed a contract extension of 8 years w the Braves so he was there a few years before extending so it couldn't have been all that bad.  Hell Chipper even donned him the next to carry the Braves torch...

So using him as an example is it about money or is he not happy?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited March 2022
    apirk72 said:

I get that sentiment, and it makes sense.  It is the thing that brought down the reserve clause in the first place.

There needs to be some sort of middle ground.  Why in the NHL and NFL do players (mainly stars) tend to spend more prime years with 1 team?  If players are lost/traded, it is usually an organizational failure as opposed to an economic one.  If teams do it correctly, they also get compensated VERY well when they need to move on from a key player in his prime.  MLB?  Not really true in most cases.  

The league structure is a joke right now.  We have a team at $250,000,000 in team payroll... and we have a team at $30,000,000 in team payroll right now.  How can this continue in this direction and maintain fans throughout the country?  A pitch clock?
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    apirk72 said:

I get that sentiment, and it makes sense.  It is the thing that brought down the reserve clause in the first place.

There needs to be some sort of middle ground.  Why in the NHL and NFL do players (mainly stars) tend to spend more prime years with 1 team?  If players are lost/traded, it is usually an organizational failure as opposed to an economic one.  If teams do it correctly, they also get compensated VERY well when they need to move on from a key player in his prime.  MLB?  Not really true in most cases.  

The league structure is a joke right now.  We have a team at $250,000,000 in team payroll... and we have a team at $30,000,000 in team payroll right now.  How can this continue in this direction and maintain fans throughout the country?  A pitch clock?
    One player in either NBA, NFL or NHL can control the whole game.  A baseball player, unless he is a dominant pitcher who is healthy, can only do it 1/3 of the time. It's not even half anymore in the MLB because a pitcher does 6 innings max now.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Wobbie said:
    They fucking kill me.  They did get a good pitcher, allegedly, but still....being a reds fan hurts, these days!
    It’s hurt for awhile, hasn’t it? Their owner needs to go.
    Yes.  There are lots if rich people happy to spend money 
    Not this old fucker.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,641
    edited March 2022
    Ken Griffey Jr is like the third highest salary on Cincinnati’s payroll this year.  $3.5 million
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Yeah, they stink.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    fuck the dodgers.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    I can’t believe I’m going to say this: Braves made the right decision in letting Freeman go. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    what the hell are the rockies doing? they are so clueless.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    what the hell are the rockies doing? they are so clueless.
    Opposite of the Braves
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I love the Astros as you know. I'm a big fan of Correa.

I have no fucking clue what's going on. I'm never on Twitter, but have been on it way too much this week while trying to figure out what the hell is going on. At least Watson is gone.

Just happy that baseball is back & will be happier when Carlos picks his damn team.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Correa to the Twins was not expected 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    igotid88 said:
    Correa to the Twins was not expected 
    Yeah, good thing the Yankees helped them clear salary by trading for the biggest tool in baseball 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    Catching up late, but the Twins are actually signing some young talent. Correa will be a huge addition.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Catching up late, but the Twins are actually signing some young talent. Correa will be a huge addition.
    If Correa has a good season he's opting out
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Yeah, they stink.
    Joey Votto is so good…..and has chosen to stay with that shit team for years.

I don’t see Trout ever getting much post season time, either (altho I know hope springs eternal for tempo).

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Yeah, they stink.
    Joey Votto is so good…..and has chosen to stay with that shit team for years.

I don’t see Trout ever getting much post season time, either (altho I know hope springs eternal for tempo).
    Signed Syndergard.  Drafted 22 pitchers last year.  Reid Detmers is ready to be brought up.

Hope springs eternal my man!
  • Options
    I fucking hate the runner on second to start the 10th. :angry:

maybe in the 12th, but not the 10th.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    Wobbie said:

I hate it too but if they insist on doing the runner on base thing to make it easier for the offense to score, why not put the runner on the 1st? At least the defense can get the runner out with a double play ball. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

This is the last year they'll do that
    I miss igotid88