Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,425
    Wobbie said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Congrats, Nats fans. That was a helluva series. I’m honestly just happy that I witnessed them win it all in 2017. The rest is gravy. Enjoy the celebration and I’m already looking forward to next season!
    Classy response. They’ll be back. I’ll probably even root for them next time!
    Will be difficult if they lose both Rendon and Strasburg.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,645
    CROJAM95 said:
    Free those titties!!
    Ha!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Lol cole wore a boras Corp hat to his post game interview 
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Congrats, Nats fans. That was a helluva series. I’m honestly just happy that I witnessed them win it all in 2017. The rest is gravy. Enjoy the celebration and I’m already looking forward to next season!
    Classy response. They’ll be back. I’ll probably even root for them next time!
    Will be difficult if they lose both Rendon and Strasburg.
    No way that happens.  They let home grown Harper go for a reason.

They re-sign these two.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Great series.  Nationals earned this one.  Caught lighting in a bottle in October.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Jason P said:
    Great series.  Nationals earned this one.  Caught lighting in a bottle in October. since May 24th

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248
    I wonder if Strasburg opts out or not.
    He has 4 yrs and $100Mil left. Not sure he'll get much higher AAV, but maybe he could get a couple added years.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,496
    does fernando rodney call it a career?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Poncier said:
    I wonder if Strasburg opts out or not.
    He has 4 yrs and $100Mil left. Not sure he'll get much higher AAV, but maybe he could get a couple added years.
    He's opting out or getting $75 mil + added.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Congrats Nats and Davey Martinez!!  (Was my 2nd favorite Cub only to Ryno when I was a kid, until we traded him to the Expos).
    Fun fact:  The last four World Series Games 7 have all been won by the road team.
    2019-Nats, 2017-Astros, 2016-Cubs, 2014-Giants
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,178
    The all Road wins is a mind fuck

what a rollercoaster for fans

after 2 games
    nat fans feeling great

after 5 games
    stros. Fans.... we got this

after 7
    wtffffff

i doubt we ever see that again
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Lol cole wore a boras Corp hat to his post game interview 

LOL that's awesome.  Time to get paaaaaaid.
  • Options
    The Nationals trailing (often late) in every elimination game in the postseason and winning them all - unreal!!
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,178
    During my Ohana trip... I went to Dodger Stadium, game 2 NLDS Kershaw vs Strasburg.... not once did the thought of the Nats being potential champs cross my mind

dodgers
    braves
    yankees
    astros

not Nationals..
  • Options

I didn’t pick them to win, but I had ‘em there.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,906
    edited October 2019
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,945
    So is this the first time that the road team won every game in a world series?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    It's the first time a road team has won every game in any series that has gone at least six games in MLB, NBA, and NHL. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,945
    It's the first time a road team has won every game in any series that has gone at least six games in MLB, NBA, and NHL. 
    wow

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    edited October 2019
    baseball today.  stud pitcher gives up his 2nd hit of the night followed by  a walk and you have to take him out. you know because it's the 3rd time through the lineup.  i don't have as much problem as not bringing Cole in as others seem to as i am not a big fan of bringing starters in who haven't relieved before. I thought he should have given Greinke at least one more batter.  Astros had their chances early and didn't cash in.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    CROJAM95 said:
    The all Road wins is a mind fuck

what a rollercoaster for fans

after 2 games
    nat fans feeling great

after 5 games
    stros. Fans.... we got this

after 7
    wtffffff

i doubt we ever see that again
    the last 2 games were an especially tough mind-fuck for Astros fans.  Both games jump out to an early lead, only to get kind of rolled in the mid to late innings.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    baseball today.  stud pitcher gives up his 2nd hit of the night followed by  a walk and you have to take him out. you know because it's the 3rd time through the lineup.  i don't have as much problem as not bringing Cole in as others seem to as i am not a big fan of bringing starters in who haven't relieved before. I thought he should have given Greinke at least one more batter.  Astros had their chances early and didn't cash in.
    It's like managers go into game 7 with the mindset that as soon as their starter loses the perfect game, they're pulling them.  It's ridiculous.  I just don't get this whole fascination of playing such a drastically different game in the postseason than what got you there, all season long, in the first place.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Yeah, I mean why the hell would you bring the best pitcher on the planet into the game when there is no game tomorrow!!? 

Agreed on Greinke.  Way too short of a leash
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited October 2019
    pjhawks said:
    Yeah, I mean why the hell would you bring the best pitcher on the planet into the game when there is no game tomorrow!!? 

And he had only thrown 80 pitches and was absolutely dealing. Some managers these days just overthink things. In the old days, if a guy had given up only two hits through six innings of a World Series game, he stays in until he's too tired to keep pitching. 

I had the Nationals money-line last night and was THRILLED when they pulled Greinke. I'm sure the Nationals' players and fans were too. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    pjhawks said:

i get your point to some extent but he had never relieved in his life. best case scenario is you start him in an inning not bring him in with a runner on base already.  that would have been  a really tough spot for a guy who had never relieved before. 

even though my Phils are kind of a rival of the Nats doesn't really bother me that they won. Really happy for Ryan Zimmerman.  always liked him and he has been there since the really bad times.  great to see him win.  other than Soto that team doesn't really have many guys that bother me.
  • Options
    So, what are everyone's picks for awards?
    MOY - Martinez (NL), Cash (AL)
    ROY - Alonso (NL), Alvarez (AL)
    CYA - Strasburg (NL), Cole/Verlander (tie-AL)
    MVP - Rendon (NL), Bregman (AL)
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,496
    when Kendrick was an angel and dodger - "I hate that fucking guy"

now - "c'mon, Howie!!!"
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

i get your point to some extent but he had never relieved in his life. best case scenario is you start him in an inning not bring him in with a runner on base already.  that would have been  a really tough spot for a guy who had never relieved before. 

even though my Phils are kind of a rival of the Nats doesn't really bother me that they won. Really happy for Ryan Zimmerman.  always liked him and he has been there since the really bad times.  great to see him win.  other than Soto that team doesn't really have many guys that bother me.
    At that point in the season, you put the best pitchers in.  Cole is 10 times better than Corbin and he won the game for them.  There is a huge list of aces that have come in and succeeded.  Play your best players.  There's no tomorrow.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

At that point in the season, you put the best pitchers in.  Cole is 10 times better than Corbin and he won the game for them.  There is a huge list of aces that have come in and succeeded.  Play your best players.  There's no tomorrow.
    I agree that i thought Hinch should've left Greiinke in for at least another batter or 2 as he was dealing. That missed call on the 2-1 pitch to Soto hurt as, and did the right thing by not giving in, walked Soto and out came Hinch to take him out.

I'm going down with the best pitcher, not only on my team, but was the best pitcher in all of MLB. Cole HAS to come into the game. Hinch had him warming up but never brings him in? No wonder Cole wasn't happy after the game(losing the WS doesn't help):

Houston Astros right-hander Gerrit Cole didn't seem enthusiastic about speaking with the media after his club lost Game 7 of the World Series on Wednesday.

"I'm not an employee of the team," Cole said to an Astros spokesperson, according to Hunter Atkins of the Houston Chronicle. "I guess as a representative of myself ..." Cole continued, and then he addressed reporters.

The 29-year-old is hitting free agency and is poised to earn a massive contract wherever he signs.

A client of agent Scott Boras, Cole's apparel during his media availability hinted that he is looking to cash in.

"It was a pleasure to play in the city of Houston," he told reporters.

Cole was short when asked follow-up questions about his future, saying he has yet to think about where he'll play next season.

Even though Cole threw 110 pitches over seven innings in Game 5 on Sunday, he was available to enter Game 7. He was seen warming in the bullpen at various times, but he was never called upon by skipper AJ Hinch.

Still, Cole tipped his cap to the Nationals as he expressed his surprise that no home team won a single game in the series.

"They're a good team," he said, according to Alyson Footer of MLB.com. "I don't want to say I'm so shocked that they can win four games (at Minute Maid Park). But I think both teams would have imagined that somebody would have been able to defend their home turf at least once."

If this is the end of his Astros tenure, Cole left an indelible mark on the franchise. In two regular seasons, he went 35-10 with a 2.68 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, and 602 strikeouts in 412 2/3 innings, and he is a candidate for the 2019 American League Cy Young Award.