Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    igotid88 said:
    Great stupid stat.  What'd he do the 16 years in between?
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    baseball today.  stud pitcher gives up his 2nd hit of the night followed by  a walk and you have to take him out. you know because it's the 3rd time through the lineup.  i don't have as much problem as not bringing Cole in as others seem to as i am not a big fan of bringing starters in who haven't relieved before. I thought he should have given Greinke at least one more batter.  Astros had their chances early and didn't cash in.
    It's like managers go into game 7 with the mindset that as soon as their starter loses the perfect game, they're pulling them.  It's ridiculous.  I just don't get this whole fascination of playing such a drastically different game in the postseason than what got you there, all season long, in the first place.
    That isn't managing, it's analytics.

They run the numbers on the current situation and pull the pitchers.  Gut calls are all but gone now, look at the Yankees playoff run.  That isn't how they played all year...
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    igotid88 said:
    Worked on his short game and putting.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:
    Worked on his short game and putting.
    The stat guy or McKeon?

lol
  • Options
    Post season awards.

AL

MVP - Trout  It might to go Bregman because Trout was hurt the final weeks but Trout's numbers are just so stupidly good.
    Cy Young - Tough but I give it to Cole for his season ending win streak.
    ROY - Yordan Alvarez, Vladamir who?!?
    Manager OTY - Who gives a shit...

Possibly an all Astros cast here.

NL

MVP - Bellinger
    Cy Young - Strasburg  He was great this year.
    ROY - Peter Alonso and those 53 dingers beats out his very well rounded teammate McNeil
    Manager oty -  WGAS

Who ya got?
  • Options
    So, what are everyone's picks for awards?
    MOY - Martinez (NL), Cash (AL)
    ROY - Alonso (NL), Alvarez (AL)
    CYA - Strasburg (NL), Cole/Verlander (tie-AL)
    MVP - Rendon (NL), Bregman (AL)
    I think Bellinger and Trout get MVP's but I wouldn't be surprised if Rendon and Bregs get it.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    So, what are everyone's picks for awards?
    MOY - Martinez (NL), Cash (AL)
    ROY - Alonso (NL), Alvarez (AL)
    CYA - Strasburg (NL), Cole/Verlander (tie-AL)
    MVP - Rendon (NL), Bregman (AL)
    I think Bellinger and Trout get MVP's but I wouldn't be surprised if Rendon and Bregs get it.
    fuck bellinger.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited November 2019
    pjhawks said:
    baseball today.  stud pitcher gives up his 2nd hit of the night followed by  a walk and you have to take him out. you know because it's the 3rd time through the lineup.  i don't have as much problem as not bringing Cole in as others seem to as i am not a big fan of bringing starters in who haven't relieved before. I thought he should have given Greinke at least one more batter.  Astros had their chances early and didn't cash in.
    It's like managers go into game 7 with the mindset that as soon as their starter loses the perfect game, they're pulling them.  It's ridiculous.  I just don't get this whole fascination of playing such a drastically different game in the postseason than what got you there, all season long, in the first place.

They run the numbers on the current situation and pull the pitchers.  Gut calls are all but gone now, look at the Yankees playoff run.  That isn't how they played all year...
    I know it's analytics but it's stupid. Christ I could manage an MLB team these days.  All you do is look at a spreadsheet and let it do the work for you.  It's fucking dumb. The manager who made gut calls & trusted his star players won the World Series.
    You would NEVER pull Greinke in that situation in any other game. But the same analytics are available that say 'put in the next best guy now' but no, you ride the pitcher on the mound who is cruising.  It lost the Astros the World Series and I couldn't be happier to laugh in the fucking face of these dumbass managers who are analytics puppets.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    edited November 2019
    pjhawks said:

I know it's analytics but it's stupid. Christ I could manage an MLB team these days.  All you do is look at a spreadsheet and let it do the work for you.  It's fucking dumb. The manager who made gut calls & trusted his star players won the World Series.
    You would NEVER pull Greinke in that situation in any other game. But the same analytics are available that say 'put in the next best guy now' but no, you ride the pitcher on the mound who is cruising.  It lost the Astros the World Series and I couldn't be happier to laugh in the fucking face of these dumbass managers who are analytics puppets.
    Old, gut shot managers will be out of the game completely soon.

A person like Buck Showalter won't be in baseball anymore.  Is it Buck or someone else that wherever he went the team won a WS after he left?

Edit:

Yes you could manage a team, all you need to do is help keep egos in check and you are all set!
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    pjhawks said:

A person like Buck Showalter won't be in baseball anymore.  Is it Buck or someone else that wherever he went the team won a WS after he left?

Edit:

Yes you could manage a team, all you need to do is help keep egos in check and you are all set!
    It's all fucking stupid.  Stop ruining baseball.  Why even have players play?  Let's just run simulations that spit out the most probable outcome. The entire season is 1 second long.  Won't have to worry about "boring the fans."
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Edit:

It's all fucking stupid.  Stop ruining baseball.  Why even have players play?  Let's just run simulations that spit out the most probable outcome. The entire season is 1 second long.  Won't have to worry about "boring the fans."
    This is my view of the "electronic" strike zone.  I think that is stupid.  The human error factor needs to be there.

Electronic strike zones will ruin baseball.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    When Grienke came out, I started yelling like crazy. I think analytics have a place in sports, but that was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen a manager make. Ugh.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,787
    mfc2006 said:
    When Grienke came out, I started yelling like crazy. I think analytics have a place in sports, but that was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen a manager make. Ugh.
    I didn't understand it because what's the worst that happens there? I mean other than what the reliever promptly did when he entered the game. You should be playing no-doubles defense in the outfield so the runner doesn't score in any other scenario. It's definitely revisionist history, but I'm with you - I didn't see a need to pull him.
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    Before using 6 pitchers in one game was a thing there were the Angels vs the Red Sox, game 4, top of the 9th.  Michael Atwater Witt, all 6'7" of him on the mound was taken out when Rich Gedman was up.  They brought in Gary Lucas to face him because he had success against him in the past.  

Sumbitch plunked Gedman... In comes Donnie, RIP, Moore to save the day.

1 strike away from going to the World Series.

Crack!!!

Dave Henderson hits a game tying HR...

The Angels would lose in 11 and were demoralized for the rest of the series and lost the next two games.

I wouldn't get to see a Haios WS appearance util 2002.

So early analytics back then may have caused the Angels a WS appearance.  They would have killed the Mets that year too.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Edit:

This is my view of the "electronic" strike zone.  I think that is stupid.  The human error factor needs to be there.

I completely agree.  I would like to see a backup system like Hawkeye in tennis.  Batter or catcher can signal to challenge a ball or strike call, show a graphic on the scoreboard, confirm or reverse the call.  Boom. Done in 2 seconds.  Limit both offense and defense to 5 calls per game each.  But a hard "no" against computers making every call!!
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Edit:

I completely agree.  I would like to see a backup system like Hawkeye in tennis.  Batter or catcher can signal to challenge a ball or strike call, show a graphic on the scoreboard, confirm or reverse the call.  Boom. Done in 2 seconds.  Limit both offense and defense to 5 calls per game each.  But a hard "no" against computers making every call!!
    I don't even want that which you mentioned.

Leave it alone...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    One of the issues, I think, with the balls and strikes is the way they televise to us now...it shows just how inconsistent things are.  If the box that they show is truly meant to be the strike zone then it takes a giant turd on the job the umps do -- makes them look piss poor.
    When we came up it was 'every ump has their own interpretation of the strike done' and people seemed to accept it more.

If it really is meant to be in that box when it crosses the plate, I can fully understand why people are bitching about how incredibly inconsistent the calling of balls and strikes is.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    pjhawks said:

Edit:

I think the in between solution would be the worst of the 3 options, no electronic, full electronic or electronic backup. One of the things replays had really killed in baseball is the immediate reactions of fans. I
  • Options
    One of the issues, I think, with the balls and strikes is the way they televise to us now...it shows just how inconsistent things are.  If the box that they show is truly meant to be the strike zone then it takes a giant turd on the job the umps do -- makes them look piss poor.
    When we came up it was 'every ump has their own interpretation of the strike done' and people seemed to accept it more.

If it really is meant to be in that box when it crosses the plate, I can fully understand why people are bitching about how incredibly inconsistent the calling of balls and strikes is.
    When they show the replay over the top of their heads and the ump is on the side the ball came in on and it's clearly 4" outside and still called a strike I can take umbrage with.  

If it's on the outside of the plate and the ump is inside I have no problem with him calling it, that will happen.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

A person like Buck Showalter won't be in baseball anymore.  

good. buck showalter = smartest guy in the room, before maddon took the mantle.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    Beltran new Met manager
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Edit:

I don't even want that which you mentioned.

Leave it alone...
    No. Shitty calls need to be fixed.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    pjhawks said:

Edit:

I think the in between solution would be the worst of the 3 options, no electronic, full electronic or electronic backup. One of the things replays had really killed in baseball is the immediate reactions of fans. I
    Hawkeye takes 2 seconds.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    DewieCox said:
    pjhawks said:

Edit:

Hawkeye takes 2 seconds.
    i've wondered why tennis replays take 2 seconds and every other league takes like 2 minutes. the NFL probably does it to add extra commercials
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I want an electronic zone to take jobs away from shit heads like Joe West and Angel Hernandez. F those guys
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I want an electronic zone to take jobs away from shit heads like Joe West and Angel Hernandez. F those guys
    F those guys, for real
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pretty sure bochy wasn’t using analytics to win 3 world series....don’t think I ever saw him with a cheat sheet in hand.

one of those titles (2014, I think), he used jeremy affeldt in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th inning of different games. to me, that is an amazing stat.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited November 2019
    DewieCox said:
    pjhawks said:

Edit:

Hawkeye takes 2 seconds.
    2 seconds seems like an exaggeration going by the little tennis I’ve watched. And still not quick enough for that immediate reaction.  Just let a robot do it if you think it needs to be perfect. If you’re ok with imperfection, get rid of umps that are proven assclowns and supply immediate feedback on errant calls. 

• Options
    hey dewie - matheny in KC?

meh.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11