MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,855
    from Scott Ostler of the SF Chronicle

Enough already with the strollers - hitters who leave the batter's box after EVERY PITCH to think and re-focus and to re-fasten their Velcro glove straps like they're about to hop onto a rodeo bull.

Long ago, maybe 30 years ago, batters mostly stayed in the box between pitches. More recently, Barry Bonds, bless his heart, eschewed the stroll. Now about 95 percent of hitters flee the box after EVERY PITCH.

Baseball has allowed each at-bat to become the batter's personal drama, a one-man show. (You pitchers, I'll deal with you another time.)

"At Dodger Stadium, we used to have to wait for each player's walk-up music," former ump Ed Montague told me. "It would take forever. Now MLB limits the walk-up music to 15 seconds."

How much time is allowed for between-pitch strolling? No limit! Walk around, dude. Ponder life. Gather your thoughts. Stop and smell the pine tar. Don't restrict yourself to the dirt area around home, go ahead and meander onto the grass. This is your moment in the spotlight, Mr. .227!

At a recent Giants-Rockies game, I put a stopwatch on the batters/strollers, randomly. Carlos Gonzalez, in one at-bat, stepped out after every pitch - five strolls. His hang-out time (from pitch crossing plate to step-back-into-box) was 19, 29, 18, 16 and 33 seconds. Total stroll time: One minute, 55 seconds.

Justin Morneau, four pitches, average stroll of 22 seconds. Another 1:28 stolen from our lives.

"Yasiel Puig the other day stepped out of the box twice before the first pitch," Montague said.

Pablo Sandoval does that every at-bat. Before the first pitch he steps into the box, out of it, back into it, back out, then back in. Only then is he ready to hack at any pitch within 3 feet of the plate.

Charlie Silvera, back-up catcher for the Yankees in the '50s, told me Ted Williams never stepped out of the box. Ted hit .344 lifetime.

Proposed - The Ted Williams Rule: You are permitted to step out of the box and lollygag all you want, as long as you're batting .344 or higher.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    imalive said:

from Scott Ostler of the SF Chronicle

Enough already with the strollers - hitters who leave the batter's box after EVERY PITCH to think and re-focus and to re-fasten their Velcro glove straps like they're about to hop onto a rodeo bull.

Long ago, maybe 30 years ago, batters mostly stayed in the box between pitches. More recently, Barry Bonds, bless his heart, eschewed the stroll. Now about 95 percent of hitters flee the box after EVERY PITCH.

Baseball has allowed each at-bat to become the batter's personal drama, a one-man show. (You pitchers, I'll deal with you another time.)

"At Dodger Stadium, we used to have to wait for each player's walk-up music," former ump Ed Montague told me. "It would take forever. Now MLB limits the walk-up music to 15 seconds."

How much time is allowed for between-pitch strolling? No limit! Walk around, dude. Ponder life. Gather your thoughts. Stop and smell the pine tar. Don't restrict yourself to the dirt area around home, go ahead and meander onto the grass. This is your moment in the spotlight, Mr. .227!

At a recent Giants-Rockies game, I put a stopwatch on the batters/strollers, randomly. Carlos Gonzalez, in one at-bat, stepped out after every pitch - five strolls. His hang-out time (from pitch crossing plate to step-back-into-box) was 19, 29, 18, 16 and 33 seconds. Total stroll time: One minute, 55 seconds.

Justin Morneau, four pitches, average stroll of 22 seconds. Another 1:28 stolen from our lives.

"Yasiel Puig the other day stepped out of the box twice before the first pitch," Montague said.

Pablo Sandoval does that every at-bat. Before the first pitch he steps into the box, out of it, back into it, back out, then back in. Only then is he ready to hack at any pitch within 3 feet of the plate.

Charlie Silvera, back-up catcher for the Yankees in the '50s, told me Ted Williams never stepped out of the box. Ted hit .344 lifetime.

Proposed - The Ted Williams Rule: You are permitted to step out of the box and lollygag all you want, as long as you're batting .344 or higher.

In the minor leagues, you can only leave the box if you swing, right? I think that is a fair rule and would cut down on the length of games a bit.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    SF Chronicle
    sucking bond's dick
    whining because puig is fast becoming the best player in the league

giants fans are so pathetic :))

(however, i do agree with the article...baseball is long enough without watching jeter jerk himself off every at bat)
    ^^^^Bonds actually did NOT fuck around in the box. if anything, pitchers stalled :))

"best player in the league"?....slow down, romeo

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,384
    imalive said:

^^^^Bonds actually did NOT fuck around in the box. if anything, pitchers stalled :))

bonds had to adjust his body armor between every single pitch he faced. fuck bonds.
    www.myspace.com

imalive said:

bonds had to adjust his body armor between every single pitch he faced. fuck bonds.

hardly ever stepped out of the box. don't believe the hype.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

imalive said:

hardly ever stepped out of the box. don't believe the hype.
    haha
    www.myspace.com
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    edited May 2014
    I love how Dodgers fans are so butt hurt over going 3-7 against the Giants this season they go back to insulting Bonds. Yeah but he did roids and wore body armor is a little stale. He hasn't played in 5 seasons. Find a new insult for the Giants. Better yet, wait until your management can control a kid fresh off the boat and then maybe you can insult other teams players.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    edited May 2014
    I was of kind leaning towards the CUBS...I remember they used to show the *World Series* on the TV here back in the 90's so as you can Imagine I saw a lot of the YANKEES...so I was Torn between the Two...I suppose no one has "Swayed" me to either side yet...lol
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
    cdysinge said:

I love how Dodgers fans are so butt hurt over going 3-7 against the Giants this season they go back to insulting Bonds. Yeah but he did roids and wore body armor is a little stale. He hasn't played in 5 seasons. Find a new insult for the Giants. Better yet, wait until your management can control a kid fresh off the boat and then maybe you can insult other teams players.

two big thumb up for this comment! :))

for the record, norm is a d**ger fan; juggler is a phillies fan, still bitter over 2010.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

for the record, norm is a d**ger fan; juggler is a phillies fan, still bitter over 2010.

Did the Phillies lose the 2010 World Series?

imalive said:

how bad are the fucking d-bags???? :))

I grew up near SF with the Giants being my first love in life. I f*ckng love that team starting when I was around 6. Huge 49ers fan, but I bleed for my baseball team. Moved to Phoenix 10 years ago. This is the next best thing than being in SF as I get a front row seat to the D-Bags shooting for a new level of craptitude and still get to go to some Giants games during the season. They are already starting to push for Towers to be fired as he should be. The D-Bags trade record over the last 5-8 years may go down as one of the worst runs in recent history. Look at the guys they have traded recently. A cy young winner just now starting his prime in Scherzer, A perennial all star in J Upton, A MVP candidate this season in Carlos Gomez plus Carlos Gonzalez, Carlos Quentin, T Skaggs, Bauer (He is still a top 5-10 pitching prospect), Stephen Drew, Jarrod Parker, Dee Brown (if this season is for real) and more. The fact they are this bad is evidence on how bad they lost all those trades. They have won a few as well, not saying they lost every trade. But in total Towers these last few seasons especially has gotten his ass kicked by the other GM's. A few seasons ago they looked to have this amazing team coming up. Their young pitching looked so good I was sure they were going to run the NL West for 5-7 seasons. And now they have the worst starting pitching staff in the league. They use Corbin's injury as an excuse but 1 pitcher does not make or break a staff unless we are talking about Kershaw. They just flat out suck. Go D-Bags!
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    i_lov_it said:

imalive said:

They didn't make it. They were favored to win it all when a Giants team who was playing way over their heads took them down and ended up whipping Texas in the World Series. Bochy schooled Ron Washington that World Series. I think that Giants/Phillies series stings Philly fans so bad as it kind of ended the Phillies dominance over the NL.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    edited May 2014
    cdysinge said:

i_lov_it said:

imalive said:

They didn't make it. They were favored to win it all when a Giants team who was playing way over their heads took them down and ended up whipping Texas in the World Series. Bochy schooled Ron Washington that World Series. I think that Giants/Phillies series stings Philly fans so bad as it kind of ended the Phillies dominance over the NL.
    Ok That must Sting especially since they were favoured to Win.

edited May 2014
    imalive said:

cdysinge said:

no not bitter at all. but if they hadn't won it in '08, i would absolutely be. '09 stings a little more.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    edited May 2014

no not bitter at all. but if they hadn't won it in '08, i would absolutely be. '09 stings a little more.

I used to go for the YANKEES at one Stage...But like I said in a Previous Post haven't found anyone to "Sway" me either to them or the CUBS :P
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,719
    Jose Abreu to the 15 day DL :-q
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    i_lov_it said:

I used to go for the YANKEES at one Stage...But like I said in a Previous Post haven't found anyone to "Sway" me either to them or the CUBS :P
    Do what now?
    www.myspace.com
    edited May 2014
    If you want to be swayed how is this for the Giants:

Most World Series wins in the 2010's (2), have history that goes back to the 1800's playing in New York. They are the reason people have to say the N.Y. Football Giants when talking about that team. Mays and 'the catch", The shot heard around the world to win the pennant, Marichal bashing the Dodgers catcher over the head with his bat, Pac Bell (I will always call it that, screw all the new names), McCovey Cove and 100 years of history of other history too long to type.

Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    smooth move by the youngster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJy5Y4v76Y0
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    edited May 2014

i_lov_it said:

Do what now?
    No Juggler Don't go 'There' lol...Think of Convince :)

yeah that was great...
    www.myspace.com
    Wow prince fielder done for the year!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

yeah that was great...
    Very Smooth.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i_lov_it said:

I was of kind leaning towards the CUBS...I remember they used to show the *World Series* on the TV here back in the 90's so as you can Imagine I saw a lot of the YANKEES...so I was Torn between the Two...I suppose no one has "Swayed" me to either side yet...lol

allow me to help you sway away from the dark side..... if you support the yankees, that thing you like that i do... i wont ever do again. ;) lol
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

i_lov_it said:

allow me to help you sway away from the dark side..... if you support the yankees, that thing you like that i do... i wont ever do again. ;) lol
    Valid Point I suppose...I'll definitely take it into Consideration :P lol

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i_lov_it said:

i_lov_it said:

Valid Point I suppose...I'll definitely take it into Consideration :P lol

i also have a soft spot for the mets so.....

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    The Giants are setting me up for a major heart break. They are playing so damn well this season my expectations are going up. This is the first time since Bonds that I have seen them score with such ease. Sandoval and Pence are finally getting going and Belt will be back in a few weeks. Scutaro hasn't even played yet. Hicks has been doing a nice job covering for him but he isn't Scutaro (provided he fully recovered from injury). Getting more than 3 runs for them has been such a chore these last two or three seasons, including the 2012 WS team. Nice change and I hope Sabean wins executive of the year if Morse and Hudson keep playing this well.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle