Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,743
    ^^^^^>I don't get him either.^^^^^
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    cutz said:

Oh my, Colby Lewis. You make zero sense

For some reason, Colby Lewis is upset that Colby Rasmus bunted
    Bill Baer Jul 19, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

Baseball’s book of unwritten rules just got a little fatter and a little more unkempt. In a battle of Colbys, Rangers starter Colby Lewis is upset that Blue Jays outfielder Colby Rasmus laid down a bunt with his team up 2-0 with two outs in the bottom of the fifth inning of Saturday’s game. Rasmus placed the ball to the third base side of the mound and reached safely, but was stranded after Dan Johnson struck out.

Lewis took the loss as the Rangers fell 4-1. He allowed two runs on eight hits and three walks while striking out five in five innings of work. He is now 6-7 with a 6.37 ERA and a 78/29 K/BB ratio in 89 innings over 17 starts.

Lewis explained why he took offense to the bunt after the game. Via MLB.com’s Chris Toman:

“I told [Rasmus] I didn’t appreciate it,” Lewis said. “You’re up by two runs with two outs and you lay down a bunt. I don’t think that’s the way the game should be played.”

When pressed further on what the problem with Rasmus’ bunt was, Lewis insinuated that the outfielder put himself before his team.

“I felt like you have a situation where there is two outs, you’re up two runs, you have gotten a hit earlier in the game off me, we are playing the shift, and he laid down a bunt basically simply for average,” Lewis said.

Lewis also explained that, because Rasmus didn’t attempt to steal on either of the first two pitches Lewis threw to Johnson, Rasmus was simply looking to pad his batting average. Following the game, in which he went 2-for-4, Rasmus is batting .223. He has yet to attempt to steal a base this season.

Lewis could have been steaming from the beating he took at the hands of the Angels on July 10. He allowed 13 runs in 2 1/3 innings in his final start before the All-Star break. One thing is for sure: his line of reasoning sure doesn’t make any sense. If Rangers pitchers don’t want to deal with bunts, then they shouldn’t be employing infield shifts. Rasmus was doing what he felt gave him the best chance to reach base and thus give his team the best chance of padding the lead.

Did I just read that correctly? "I don't think that's the way the game should be played"??
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    edited July 2014
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,394
    igotid88 said:
    "let's get 20 runs!" haha....good stuffff

who were the kids?
    www.myspace.com
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,821
    Loved Frank Thomas's HOF speech today...he was pretty much my hero growing up. One of the best hitters ever. His numbers in the 90s are insane.

Loved Frank Thomas's HOF speech today...he was pretty much my hero growing up. One of the best hitters ever. His numbers in the 90s are insane.

My cousin and I met him in April 2004, when the Sox played the Yankees during home opening weekend of the season. Looking up at him, I had never seen anybody taller and bigger than that. To this day, I still haven't. I'm glad I got to see him play in person and meet him. I'm glad he made the HOF.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    just saw a commercial on espn hyping up yankees/redsox on sunday night.

have the redsox and yankees played a weekend series where the sunday game was not on espn? i'm assuming the saturday game will be on fox.

ugh.
    www.myspace.com

have the redsox and yankees played a weekend series where the sunday game was not on espn? i'm assuming the saturday game will be on fox.

ugh.

Saturday's not FOX.

ugh.

Doesn't seem like it. And those games always seem to go at least 4 hours....brutal.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    just because the Blue jay are not really being talked about i will have to say "go jay go!"

i just hope they keep playing this well.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited July 2014
    If the cards rumored package for price is accurate, it seems pretty fair, if not a little light
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    whereas what the phillies want from the dodgers for hammels is hysterical :))
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    edited July 2014
    What are the Cards offering for Price?

I read they had put in the best offer for Hamels and it seemed like a pretty good deal for them.

EDIT...not sure I like that trade for Price. I'd like to see Taveras get a real chance with them. They've been hyping him for a few years and I'd hate to see that potential pay off for another team.

Post edited by DewieCox on
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,743
    edited July 2014
    Watching O's-Angels game and the announcer just said that Jon Lester has been scratched from tomorrow night's start.

From Joel Sherman Twitter:

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 1m
    Been told that Lester has NOT yet been traded. This feels proactive to avoid an injury/bizarre situation if he did start
    Post edited by cutz on
    Man, how good is Jose Abreu?? Another homer and 4 RBIs last night. 18 game hitting streak and has a hit in 36 of 37 games. Sox took a chance giving a guy $66M and it sure looks good so far.
  • I would love for the Reds to trade for Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce.
    (Oh fuck, they already have them and they suck or are injured this year?)
    Was so excited at the All Star Break -- team was streaking and had closed to 1.5 games back even with the injuries and shitty play overall.
    Reality has come crashing down since the ASB and 5 back with 3 teams in front and the 3 key players listed above hurt or sucking hind tit.

Sell boys, sell.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

I would love for the Reds to trade for Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce.
    (Oh fuck, they already have them and they suck or are injured this year?)
    Was so excited at the All Star Break -- team was streaking and had closed to 1.5 games back even with the injuries and shitty play overall.
    Reality has come crashing down since the ASB and 5 back with 3 teams in front and the 3 key players listed above hurt or sucking hind tit.

Sell boys, sell.

how are you a reds fan again?
    www.myspace.com
  • Grew up in VT going to minor league games a bunch of times a year and when I was 10/11/12 the team that was in Burlington was the VT Reds. The year that I went the most they were the league champs and had Barry Larkin (and maybe Kal Daniels, who spent some time with the big club) and it was enough to make me love the Reds...and Eric Davis was what sealed it for me; loved watching him play.
    My family were NYC transplants so I grew up in a Yankee house amongst Red Sox fans but I chose the Reds as a kid.
    Lived in LA for 20 years and now in Philly burbs but am still a Reds fan. Has been tough -- won the World Series when I was in High School and haven't done much since!

When we moved from LA to NJ we drove cross country and one of the stops was Cincy to watch a few games and tour the ballpark/ club Hall of Fame. When I got to the Barry Larkin area they actually had his VT Reds jersey on display and it was pretty cool to see that.

We just had a little boy and it pains me to put the Phillies onesies on him that people have gifted us with but I do want him to root for the local team so that he can get the full experience. I only wish I had grown up as close to a major league park as he will.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,666
    Masterson to the Cardinals for a minor leaguer (James Ramsey)

Masterson has completely lost it this year and is the main reason the Indians are on the outside looking in. Its a shame.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    The Cubs had a Good Win the other night.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,856
    norm said:

are you fuckers trying to get him TOO? when is enough enough?

he would fit right in, tho. he's got the steve garvey type pretty boy looks.

just learned his real name is colbert. Who the fuck names a kid colbert? :fp:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

norm said:

are you fuckers trying to get him TOO? when is enough enough?

he would fit right in, tho. he's got the steve garvey type pretty boy looks.

just learned his real name is colbert. Who the fuck names a kid colbert? :fp:
    DO NOT disrespect mr. hamels, you son of a bitch.
    www.myspace.com

Grew up in VT going to minor league games a bunch of times a year and when I was 10/11/12 the team that was in Burlington was the VT Reds. The year that I went the most they were the league champs and had Barry Larkin (and maybe Kal Daniels, who spent some time with the big club) and it was enough to make me love the Reds...and Eric Davis was what sealed it for me; loved watching him play.
    My family were NYC transplants so I grew up in a Yankee house amongst Red Sox fans but I chose the Reds as a kid.
    Lived in LA for 20 years and now in Philly burbs but am still a Reds fan. Has been tough -- won the World Series when I was in High School and haven't done much since!

When we moved from LA to NJ we drove cross country and one of the stops was Cincy to watch a few games and tour the ballpark/ club Hall of Fame. When I got to the Barry Larkin area they actually had his VT Reds jersey on display and it was pretty cool to see that.

We just had a little boy and it pains me to put the Phillies onesies on him that people have gifted us with but I do want him to root for the local team so that he can get the full experience. I only wish I had grown up as close to a major league park as he will.

that's a cool way of becoming a fan of a team....it's like you were brought up in their minor league system along with larkin and davis etc.

and god bless you for not becoming a yankees fan. the world has enough of them.
    www.myspace.com
    Lester to the A's...holy shit. The A's aren't fucking around this year.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

Lester to the A's...holy shit. The A's aren't fucking around this year.

That, my friends, is a good old baseball trade. If it weren't for the Red Sox being involved, I would fucking love it.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Cespedes and the green monster. Looks like fun.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I didnt think they needed a SP but you have to tip your cap to the team with the best record trading for 3/5 of their stretch rotation.

I didnt think they needed a SP but you have to tip your cap to the team with the best record trading for 3/5 of their stretch rotation.

Pitching usually wins in the playoffs. Rooting for Oakland to pull it off.