MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146

norm said:
    in all fairness, john kruk is a testicle.
    true
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,821
    edited July 2014

chris berman BLOWS

I lasted about 5 minutes with the HR derby. I remember how excited I used to get for All star Monday when I was younger...now I really don't give a shit.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Why would they reduce the outs but then add players and rounds? It's become so boring.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,719
    I didn't even watch one second of it
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Kinda weird that they didn't honor or really mention Tony Gwynn at the all start game last night.
  • BCBABCBA Posts: 220
    Nope. The over the top Jeter-fest took all the time and attention away from everything else
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,665
    Does Jeter even have a batting title? Why are they treating this like Wayne Gretzky/Micheal Jordan are retiring?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    MayDay10 said:

Does Jeter even have a batting title?

He's a shortstop.

I thought he was a halfback
    Well if you knew that then you probably shouldn't have asked such a pointless question. How many shortstops have won a batting title? I would say less than 10 in the history of baseball. And as if you have to have won a batting title to be a hall of fame player who is the face of baseball.
    The slurpfest was awesome, by the way.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The funny thing is that the non-controversy over Adam Wainright delivering a few ducks to Jeter is that the stupid home field advantage of the all-star game will most likely go away. Sports media has gone full retard.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    edited July 2014
    The all Stars Game was on PayTV over here...I didn't watch it but saw the Score...everything seems to be about Jeter even though he is a Brilliant player everything seemed to have beeen Focused on just Him of what I've read.
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365

Kinda weird that they didn't honor or really mention Tony Gwynn at the all start game last night.

This.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:

This.
    Do they usually do that kind of stuff at the all star game? I don't really remember it ever happening, not to say that it shouldn't
    thats actually why I tuned in. Wanted to see how they would honor Gwynn and (maybe) Don Zimmer.

JK_Livin said:

This.
    Do they usually do that kind of stuff at the all star game? I don't really remember it ever happening, not to say that it shouldn't
    I don't think they they usually do an Oscars-style "In Memoriam" or anything like that, but you'd think they would have mentioned something about a legendary player like Gwynn recently passing away
    I visualized for a second (seeing there was no mention previously) that during Jeter's ovation for the 1st at-bat would motion to the dugout and Gwynn Jr would run out in uniform to a new ovation.

That would have been cool
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,855

the slupfest was awful and the re2pect commercial was terrible.

that said, I enjoyed their talk with derek from the dugout.

and cliffy?........the double was a gift from wainwright ;)

I was pissed that they talked to farrell all during my boy Hunter's (short) AB. X(
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

the slupfest was awful and the re2pect commercial was terrible.

that said, I enjoyed their talk with derek from the dugout.

and cliffy?........the double was a gift from wainwright ;)

I was pissed that they talked to farrell all during my boy Hunter's (short) AB. X(
    It was all awesome.
    very well said:

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2014/07/hey_fox_tony_gwynn_died_you_know.html

Here’s the approximate rundown for who and what was mentioned during Tuesday night’s Fox broadcast of the 2014 Major League Baseball All-Star Game:

Derek Jeter: 100 times (and here they all are).

“Gotham”: 47 times.

Pepsi, now with “real” sugar (which, as I see it, is a frightening realization over what we were drinking before): 17 times.

The late Tony Gwynn: Zero.

Bravo, Fox.

What a complete embarrassment. So focused and one-minded were Fox producers on bringing the calm eyes of the retiring Derek Jeter - playing in his final All-Star Game - into your living room that not once, really, not once, did they bring up the untimely death last month of one of the best hitters to ever play the game, a 15-time All-Star himself. Bud Selig got his two minutes with Ken Rosenthal, and the outgoing commissioner would like you to forget how he ignored steroids and that he’s really sorry for canceling the World Series in 1994 and all, but he’s pleased to have what he called “22 years of labor peace” under his belt.

No Gwynn.

Meanwhile, in the booth, Harold Reynolds couldn’t take his lips off Jeter’s behind for one second to mention the former Padres outfielder? Hell, Reynolds played in the same All-Star Game with Gwynn in 1987. That didn't have any relevance?

Fox was so caught up in Jeter-mania, product placement, and who was going to win that new car with the MVP Award that eventually Gwynn’s absence was glaring and marred the abhorrent coverage of the game. The lone acknowledgement came from Baltimore’s Adam Jones, who had Gwynn’s initials and number etched on his hat. Fox’s Rosenthal Tweeted out the photo.

And yes, that’s it. Amazingly.

Think the Padres are upset? At 1:07 a.m., about 90 minutes after the American League beat the National League, 5-3, Gwynn’s former team sent out the following, cryptic message:

Padres pitcher Huston Street was the team’s lone representative. He didn't make it into the game. Nor did the patch he and his teammates are wearing this season in honor of Gwynn.

"Obviously Tony Gwynn's a huge part of the game and it would've been something cool to see but it didn't happen," Street told Yahoo Sports. "I've been at six other ballparks around the league where they've done one. I don't think there's any short of remembrance for Tony.”

Former Yankees owner George Steinbrenner died on the DAY of the All-Star Game in 2010, and he got a moment of silence that night. Gwynn, who died on June 16? Not a peep.

There had to be some direct order, right? How does Fox go three-plus hours without breathing word of one of the sport’s most devastating losses this season? If it’s because the use of smokeless tobacco, the cause of the cancer that cost Gywnn his life, is on the table for the next collective bargaining agreement, then shame on everybody; baseball for allowing a controversial issue to butt its way into showing honor and respect where it’s deserved, and for Fox for kowtowing to such ridiculous directive. If it was simply an oversight, well we hope all the Jeter pre-planning meetings were worth it.

As the game wore on, you figured something, anything was coming. A seventh-inning moment of silence? Nope, sorry, country music “star” Joe Nichols will slaughter “God Bless America” instead. Maybe Erin Andrews would add something of substance? Ha. Have fun with that, NFL. Street could get into the game, and the conversation in the booth might shift from MVP talk to Gwynn. Didn’t happen. Maybe that will be Fox’s lame excuse in the end.

And so, Major League Baseball and Fox bade an All-Star farewell to one of its greatest players by stomping on the memory of another one of its greatest players.

It was a complete lack of respect on a night sold on re2pect.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    MayDay10 said:

very well said:

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2014/07/hey_fox_tony_gwynn_died_you_know.html

Here’s the approximate rundown for who and what was mentioned during Tuesday night’s Fox broadcast of the 2014 Major League Baseball All-Star Game:

Pepsi, now with “real” sugar (which, as I see it, is a frightening realization over what we were drinking before): 17 times.

Bravo, Fox.

What a complete embarrassment. So focused and one-minded were Fox producers on bringing the calm eyes of the retiring Derek Jeter - playing in his final All-Star Game - into your living room that not once, really, not once, did they bring up the untimely death last month of one of the best hitters to ever play the game, a 15-time All-Star himself. Bud Selig got his two minutes with Ken Rosenthal, and the outgoing commissioner would like you to forget how he ignored steroids and that he’s really sorry for canceling the World Series in 1994 and all, but he’s pleased to have what he called “22 years of labor peace” under his belt.

No Gwynn.

Meanwhile, in the booth, Harold Reynolds couldn’t take his lips off Jeter’s behind for one second to mention the former Padres outfielder? Hell, Reynolds played in the same All-Star Game with Gwynn in 1987. That didn't have any relevance?

Fox was so caught up in Jeter-mania, product placement, and who was going to win that new car with the MVP Award that eventually Gwynn’s absence was glaring and marred the abhorrent coverage of the game. The lone acknowledgement came from Baltimore’s Adam Jones, who had Gwynn’s initials and number etched on his hat. Fox’s Rosenthal Tweeted out the photo.

Think the Padres are upset? At 1:07 a.m., about 90 minutes after the American League beat the National League, 5-3, Gwynn’s former team sent out the following, cryptic message:

Padres pitcher Huston Street was the team’s lone representative. He didn't make it into the game. Nor did the patch he and his teammates are wearing this season in honor of Gwynn.

"Obviously Tony Gwynn's a huge part of the game and it would've been something cool to see but it didn't happen," Street told Yahoo Sports. "I've been at six other ballparks around the league where they've done one. I don't think there's any short of remembrance for Tony.”

Former Yankees owner George Steinbrenner died on the DAY of the All-Star Game in 2010, and he got a moment of silence that night. Gwynn, who died on June 16? Not a peep.

There had to be some direct order, right? How does Fox go three-plus hours without breathing word of one of the sport’s most devastating losses this season? If it’s because the use of smokeless tobacco, the cause of the cancer that cost Gywnn his life, is on the table for the next collective bargaining agreement, then shame on everybody; baseball for allowing a controversial issue to butt its way into showing honor and respect where it’s deserved, and for Fox for kowtowing to such ridiculous directive. If it was simply an oversight, well we hope all the Jeter pre-planning meetings were worth it.

As the game wore on, you figured something, anything was coming. A seventh-inning moment of silence? Nope, sorry, country music “star” Joe Nichols will slaughter “God Bless America” instead. Maybe Erin Andrews would add something of substance? Ha. Have fun with that, NFL. Street could get into the game, and the conversation in the booth might shift from MVP talk to Gwynn. Didn’t happen. Maybe that will be Fox’s lame excuse in the end.

And so, Major League Baseball and Fox bade an All-Star farewell to one of its greatest players by stomping on the memory of another one of its greatest players.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,384
    norm said:

MayDay10 said:

very well said:

Bravo, Fox.

No Gwynn.

none of this should be surprising. mlb is just bad at promoting their game. I can't wait until bud selig is gone.

chase utley hit a double. that was the lone highlight for me.
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,719

norm said:

MayDay10 said:

very well said:

Bravo, Fox.

No Gwynn.

none of this should be surprising. mlb is just bad at promoting their game. I can't wait until bud selig is gone.

chase utley hit a double. that was the lone highlight for me.
    he also get hit by a pitch.

i didn't even realize they didn't mention Gwynn until people brought it up. Yeah they should have at least mentioned him... After all he appeared in like 15 all star games.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    ^^^^*^ just more proof how bad FOX baseball is.....not that we needed any more.

Verdouchey almost made me miss tim mccarver.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • kasedougkasedoug Posts: 2,927
    I was at the game so I missed that they didn't honor Gwynn on the broadcast until I heard about it afterward. Guess they mentioned him briefly on the Fox Sports 1 America's PreGame broadcast and that was it. That's really disappointing and I don't buy there explanation of baseball losing a lot of people so they didn't want to single one person out. Gwynn's one of the greatest hitters ever and a 15x All-Star. The ASG would have been a perfect opportunity to honor his memory on the national stage.
    When George Steinbrenner died on the morning of the 2010 ASG in Anaheim, there was a moment of silence at tribute at the game that night. They also honored Yankees PA announcer Bob Sheppard, who passed a few days before that and they played his intro of Jeter throughout the game. While both of them were important to the Yankees and the game, neither had the playing career that Gwynn had on the field.
    kasedoug said:

I was at the game so I missed that they didn't honor Gwynn on the broadcast until I heard about it afterward. Guess they mentioned him briefly on the Fox Sports 1 America's PreGame broadcast and that was it. That's really disappointing and I don't buy there explanation of baseball losing a lot of people so they didn't want to single one person out. Gwynn's one of the greatest hitters ever and a 15x All-Star. The ASG would have been a perfect opportunity to honor his memory on the national stage.

it would have interfered with the slurpfest they had going.

http://deadspin.com/all-100-times-jeters-name-was-mentioned-on-fox-and-all-1605774963

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Oh my, Colby Lewis. You make zero sense
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,742
    edited July 2014

For some reason, Colby Lewis is upset that Colby Rasmus bunted
    Bill Baer Jul 19, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

Baseball’s book of unwritten rules just got a little fatter and a little more unkempt. In a battle of Colbys, Rangers starter Colby Lewis is upset that Blue Jays outfielder Colby Rasmus laid down a bunt with his team up 2-0 with two outs in the bottom of the fifth inning of Saturday’s game. Rasmus placed the ball to the third base side of the mound and reached safely, but was stranded after Dan Johnson struck out.

Lewis took the loss as the Rangers fell 4-1. He allowed two runs on eight hits and three walks while striking out five in five innings of work. He is now 6-7 with a 6.37 ERA and a 78/29 K/BB ratio in 89 innings over 17 starts.

Lewis explained why he took offense to the bunt after the game. Via MLB.com’s Chris Toman:

“I told [Rasmus] I didn’t appreciate it,” Lewis said. “You’re up by two runs with two outs and you lay down a bunt. I don’t think that’s the way the game should be played.”

When pressed further on what the problem with Rasmus’ bunt was, Lewis insinuated that the outfielder put himself before his team.

“I felt like you have a situation where there is two outs, you’re up two runs, you have gotten a hit earlier in the game off me, we are playing the shift, and he laid down a bunt basically simply for average,” Lewis said.

Lewis also explained that, because Rasmus didn’t attempt to steal on either of the first two pitches Lewis threw to Johnson, Rasmus was simply looking to pad his batting average. Following the game, in which he went 2-for-4, Rasmus is batting .223. He has yet to attempt to steal a base this season.

Lewis could have been steaming from the beating he took at the hands of the Angels on July 10. He allowed 13 runs in 2 1/3 innings in his final start before the All-Star break. One thing is for sure: his line of reasoning sure doesn’t make any sense. If Rangers pitchers don’t want to deal with bunts, then they shouldn’t be employing infield shifts. Rasmus was doing what he felt gave him the best chance to reach base and thus give his team the best chance of padding the lead.

cutz said:

For some reason, Colby Lewis is upset that Colby Rasmus bunted
    Bill Baer Jul 19, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

Baseball’s book of unwritten rules just got a little fatter and a little more unkempt. In a battle of Colbys, Rangers starter Colby Lewis is upset that Blue Jays outfielder Colby Rasmus laid down a bunt with his team up 2-0 with two outs in the bottom of the fifth inning of Saturday’s game. Rasmus placed the ball to the third base side of the mound and reached safely, but was stranded after Dan Johnson struck out.

Lewis took the loss as the Rangers fell 4-1. He allowed two runs on eight hits and three walks while striking out five in five innings of work. He is now 6-7 with a 6.37 ERA and a 78/29 K/BB ratio in 89 innings over 17 starts.

Lewis explained why he took offense to the bunt after the game. Via MLB.com’s Chris Toman:

“I told [Rasmus] I didn’t appreciate it,” Lewis said. “You’re up by two runs with two outs and you lay down a bunt. I don’t think that’s the way the game should be played.”

When pressed further on what the problem with Rasmus’ bunt was, Lewis insinuated that the outfielder put himself before his team.

“I felt like you have a situation where there is two outs, you’re up two runs, you have gotten a hit earlier in the game off me, we are playing the shift, and he laid down a bunt basically simply for average,” Lewis said.

Lewis also explained that, because Rasmus didn’t attempt to steal on either of the first two pitches Lewis threw to Johnson, Rasmus was simply looking to pad his batting average. Following the game, in which he went 2-for-4, Rasmus is batting .223. He has yet to attempt to steal a base this season.

Lewis could have been steaming from the beating he took at the hands of the Angels on July 10. He allowed 13 runs in 2 1/3 innings in his final start before the All-Star break. One thing is for sure: his line of reasoning sure doesn’t make any sense. If Rangers pitchers don’t want to deal with bunts, then they shouldn’t be employing infield shifts. Rasmus was doing what he felt gave him the best chance to reach base and thus give his team the best chance of padding the lead.

Yeah, man. Wtf