MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,851
    pjhawks wrote:

it's kind of hard to have a respectable Hall of Fame for baseball when the all time hits leader, all time home run leader and the pitcher with the most Cy Young awards aren't included.

hard for me to get real pumped up about barry larkin.

plus..........you'll get (or already have) juicers in the HOF. they just happened to not get caught.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Would Babe Ruth have put up the same numbers if the league were integrated?

Would Hank Aaron have put up the numbers without Greenies? Schmidt?

Would Gaylord Perry be in the HOF without the spitball?

Was Ty Cobb a racist asshole?

What about the 154 game season?

The best players in a game shouldn't get in a Hall Of Fame because of their personality?

i don't even know what greenies is ... :lol:

i would say all those guys played within the context of the game at the time ... i am pretty sure taking PEDs was not considered acceptable ...

and again - I didn't say being an asshole should prevent someone from getting in ... only that because of that - i am happy they aren't in ... by admitting them into the HOF, it basically says that it's ok to cheat and to lie and to bully and to basically disrespect the sport, it's players and the fans ... but hey - put up numbers and that's all that matters ... but that's just me ...

Greenies are stimulants, an artificial advantage if I say so myself. Steroids of their time, I'd dare say.

No one knows who exactly took steroids and didn't, all we know is who the best players were. A hall of famer said he knows for a fact that there is already a juicer in the Hall of Fame. There is so much gray area. Where is the line drawn on what is a PED and what isn't?

I guess I just look at is entertainment. Do I like a player more if he is a good guy? Probably, but I don't watch the sport knowing these guys are saints, they are athletes.

And how is a spit ball in the context of the game? It was banned then and it is banned now.
    Very timely...Dave Cameron nails it, as always

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-hall ... t-problem/
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    A hall of famer said he knows for a fact that there is already a juicer in the Hall of Fame.

rickey???

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Greenies are stimulants, an artificial advantage if I say so myself. Steroids of their time, I'd dare say.

No one knows who exactly took steroids and didn't, all we know is who the best players were. A hall of famer said he knows for a fact that there is already a juicer in the Hall of Fame. There is so much gray area. Where is the line drawn on what is a PED and what isn't?

I guess I just look at is entertainment. Do I like a player more if he is a good guy? Probably, but I don't watch the sport knowing these guys are saints, they are athletes.

i think we can safely say we know who did amongst those we are discussing for the HOF: Bonds, Clemens, etc... I would say anything that is banned by WADA at the time would count ... for sure, there is grey area but is the solution to just let people in even tho you know they cheated? ...

sure sport is entertainment but at the same time - i loathe the idea that people who not only cheated (and i get it - there are millions of dollars here ... maybe if I was put in that position, I would cheat too) but it's the shit after that gets me ... it's why i can't stand AROD ... the lying, the bullying, the lawyers ... hate seeing guys rewarded for that stuff is all ...

if a guy like petite gets in ... i'd be like ... ok - whatever but Bonds!? ... fuck that guy ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i think we can safely say we know who did amongst those we are discussing for the HOF: Bonds, Clemens, etc... I would say anything that is banned by WADA at the time would count ... for sure, there is grey area but is the solution to just let people in even tho you know they cheated? ...

sure sport is entertainment but at the same time - i loathe the idea that people who not only cheated (and i get it - there are millions of dollars here ... maybe if I was put in that position, I would cheat too) but it's the shit after that gets me ... it's why i can't stand AROD ... the lying, the bullying, the lawyers ... hate seeing guys rewarded for that stuff is all ...

if a guy like petite gets in ... i'd be like ... ok - whatever but Bonds!? ... fuck that guy ...

But can you safely assume who took steroids? Just because they are big powerful guys and have been linked to them? That is absurd. So we should just say, we don't think this guy did, but we think this guy did? So if someone wasn't an idiot or got their steroids from a guy who didn't get arrested they should get a pass? The best players are the best players. If you get caught now, that's on you. There was no testing at the time. Yes, the solution is to let the best of the best in. Gaylord Perry is in, Hank Aaron is in. They both knowingly broke the rules. That means they are cheaters. There are many others.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    But can you safely assume who took steroids? Just because they are big powerful guys and have been linked to them? That is absurd. So we should just say, we don't think this guy did, but we think this guy did? So if someone wasn't an idiot or got their steroids from a guy who didn't get arrested they should get a pass? The best players are the best players. If you get caught now, that's on you. There was no testing at the time. Yes, the solution is to let the best of the best in. Gaylord Perry is in, Hank Aaron is in. They both knowingly broke the rules. That means they are cheaters. There are many others.

we know clemens and bonds took them ... bonds has admitted it except he claims he didn't know it was PED ... either way - your recent article touched on it ... there are players one can say wasn't doing them ... do we know for certain - no ... but you go with what you got ...

i'm simply not interested in rewarding someone I know cheated ... these guys are like OJ as far as i'm concerned ... got away with it ... but definitely, the fact they are assholes adds to it ... i hate seeing assholes rewarded ... consider it a pet peeve ... :lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

we know clemens and bonds took them ... bonds has admitted it except he claims he didn't know it was PED ... either way - your recent article touched on it ... there are players one can say wasn't doing them ... do we know for certain - no ... but you go with what you got ...

i'm simply not interested in rewarding someone I know cheated ... these guys are like OJ as far as i'm concerned ... got away with it ... but definitely, the fact they are assholes adds to it ... i hate seeing assholes rewarded ... consider it a pet peeve ... :lol:

Dude, OJ murdered two people. These guys stuck needles in their asses.

But they were the best players and we have no idea what percentage of players they were playing against were also cheating. That is baseballs fault. Shitty players were also juicing.

Edit: Also, baseball had no real rules. There was no way for them to get caught or policed. That is very much different than a murdered who gets off, if we want to compare homicide to steroids.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    [Dude, OJ murdered two people. These guys stuck needles in their asses.

But they were the best players and we have no idea what percentage of players they were playing against were also cheating. That is baseballs fault. Shitty players were also juicing.

Also, baseball had no real rules. There was no way for them to get caught or policed. That is very much different than a murdered who gets off.

dude ... i know that ... i'm just saying the notion that it's not been proven out means nothing ... we all knew lance took drugs before it was proven out as well ...

your reasoning works fine if you think the majority of players were juicing at the time ... hence my initial question ... if that's the case - then there might be an argument there ... but i don't necessarily believe that ... i do believe there were a lot of above-average players that didn't likely juice and who might be in the same level if they had but they didn't ... they are never gonna enter the HOF ...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    polaris_x wrote:

That's basically opposite of logic imo. I dunno if I'd call Pettite a lock to get in and if he does, I'd say the juice gave him enough of a bump to get him the numbers to get the votes. Barry Bonds was a first ballot HoF before his head started to swell and he hit 73 homers. I think the Bonds is a prick mindset is overblown, b/c he was a jerk to the wrong people. He hasn't thrown anybody under the bus or brought anybody down with him.
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    [Dude, OJ murdered two people. These guys stuck needles in their asses.

Also, baseball had no real rules. There was no way for them to get caught or policed. That is very much different than a murdered who gets off.

dude ... i know that ... i'm just saying the notion that it's not been proven out means nothing ... we all knew lance took drugs before it was proven out as well ...

your reasoning works fine if you think the majority of players were juicing at the time ... hence my initial question ... if that's the case - then there might be an argument there ... but i don't necessarily believe that ... i do believe there were a lot of above-average players that didn't likely juice and who might be in the same level if they had but they didn't ... they are never gonna enter the HOF ...

But how do you figure that? What is that assumption based on? There are more people who have come out saying the majority of players were juicing than vice versa. I am not going to pretend I know who was and who wasn't, all I know is that the best players are the best players. MLB made this bed, not the players.
    DewieCox wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

That's basically opposite of logic imo. I dunno if I'd call Pettite a lock to get in and if he does, I'd say the juice gave him enough of a bump to get him the numbers to get the votes. Barry Bonds was a first ballot HoF before his head started to swell and he hit 73 homers. I think the Bonds is a prick mindset is overblown, b/c he was a jerk to the wrong people. He hasn't thrown anybody under the bus or brought anybody down with him.

Bonds was angry at the world, it came from his dad. He hated the media. That doesn't help. But yeah, if we believe the reports that Bonds started juicing when he was jealous of McGwire and Sosa, then yeah, he was a HOFer before roids. Again that is a big assumption, so just let the best players in.

Pettitte isn't getting in. Hall Of Damn Good, not Hall Of Fame.

Edit: I would agree with you more about the marginal players who get in and the impact. THat is a much bigger question than Bonds who is probably the best baseball player any of us have ever seen, outside some of the old heads around here
    DewieCox wrote:

i just threw out a name of a guy who we know juiced ... i don't know if he should get in ... my point is simply that i don't like assholes and don't like to see them get rewarded for it ...

i think if bonds wasn't an asshole - he would come clean and tell the truth ... but he didn't ... so fuck em ...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    But how do you figure that? What is that assumption based on? There are more people who have come out saying the majority of players were juicing than vice versa. I am not going to pretend I know who was and who wasn't, all I know is that the best players are the best players. MLB made this bed, not the players.

truthfully, i dunno who said what and what the consensus is on the percentage that cheated ... again, hence my initial question ... i don't think it was like cycling where it was the majority ... even in that instance - i still hate lance ... it really boils down to who they are for me ... i agree that MLB is to blame for sure and that they made billions of dollars on these guys ...

but at the end of the day ... cheating always comes down to this ... what about the guy who didn't!? ... no million dollar endorsements, no HOF, no Pineterest account ... i just don't like the idea of these guys getting rewarded when they've already reaped the benefits through contracts and endorsements ...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 48,328
    07_alan_bud_selig.jpg
    www.myspace.com
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,737
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-bas ... in-florida

Yasiel Puig has been arrested for reckless driving for a second time this year.

Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was arrested Saturday morning on a reckless driving charge in Florida, reports the Naples Daily News. He was driving 110 mph on the Alligator Alley section of I-75 according to a Florida Highway Patrol spokesman. The speed limit is 70 mph.

According to the Daily News, Puig was driving a 2013 Mercedes westbound near mile marker 99. Alligator Alley (otherwise known as the Everglades Parkway) runs east-west from Naples to Fort Lauderdale and is prone to speeding because the road is flat and straight. The Dodgers have not yet commented on the arrest.

Puig, 23, had reckless driving and speeding charges dismissed in Tennessee last month after serving 12 hours of community service. He was caught going 97 mph in a 50 mph zone back in April, when he was with the team's Double-A affiliate in Chattanooga. Puig was reportedly serving as a designated driver at the time.

Puig hit .319 with 19 home runs in 104 games for the Dodgers in 2013. He finished second in the NL Rookie of the Year voting.
    cutz wrote:
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24389597/report-yasiel-puig-arrested-on-reckless-driving-charge-in-florida

Yasiel Puig has been arrested for reckless driving for a second time this year.

Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was arrested Saturday morning on a reckless driving charge in Florida, reports the Naples Daily News. He was driving 110 mph on the Alligator Alley section of I-75 according to a Florida Highway Patrol spokesman. The speed limit is 70 mph.

According to the Daily News, Puig was driving a 2013 Mercedes westbound near mile marker 99. Alligator Alley (otherwise known as the Everglades Parkway) runs east-west from Naples to Fort Lauderdale and is prone to speeding because the road is flat and straight. The Dodgers have not yet commented on the arrest.

Puig, 23, had reckless driving and speeding charges dismissed in Tennessee last month after serving 12 hours of community service. He was caught going 97 mph in a 50 mph zone back in April, when he was with the team's Double-A affiliate in Chattanooga. Puig was reportedly serving as a designated driver at the time.

Puig hit .319 with 19 home runs in 104 games for the Dodgers in 2013. He finished second in the NL Rookie of the Year voting.

Typical d**ger puke :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Maddux, Glavine and Thomas

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,820
    So happy for the Big Hurt. I worshiped him growing up in the 90s. One of the great hitters of all time. The numbers he put up in the 90s are insane. It's still a damn shame he couldn't finish the 94 season because of the strike....his numbers up to that point were just ridiculous.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 26,096
    I'm happy as a Braves fan, but Maddux should be unanimous
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,277

I'm happy as a Braves fan, but Maddux should be unanimous

Agreed. Whoever didn't vote for him should have their voting rights taken away.
    edited January 2014
    http://deadspin.com/revealed-the-hall-of-fame-voter-who-turned-his-ballot-1496558341

Pretty awesome it was a name as big as his. Well done, Deadspin.

Also, as pointed out in the comments. bbwaa@aol.com. Hysterical
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,710

Maddux, Glavine and Thomas

=D>
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    I can't be a fan of vin scully, due to his d**ger connection, but it's pretty fucking ludicrous that a dude who has spent 60 years watching baseball doesn't have a HOF vote.....yet joe blow at the bumfuck daily tribune does.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    norm said:
    Canseco, just shut the fuck up. He's the reason all this shit has been going on in the first place.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Newch91 said:

norm said:
    Canseco, just shut the fuck up. He's the reason all this shit has been going on in the first place.
    :))

yeah but arod is a bitch tit ;)
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 26,096
    norm said:
    I find this hilarious. One moron calling out another.

Bye A-Rod. Never liked you anyway.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17