MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Well, it should be quite a battle between the Rays and Marlins for worst attendance in the league.

I'm still wondering why they didnt put the new Marlins stadium in Ft. Lauderdale. Ft lauderdale is drivable from west palm beach...its smack dab in the middle of south florida. I specualte a lot more people would attend if it was more centralized (and of course if the team could build some kind of reputation as one that keeps a player more than a year)

I have no idea about the location of the stadium, but would that really have made that big of a difference?? Besides all the new Heat "fans", Miami has some pretty brutal fanbases for all of their pro teams.
  • Well, it should be quite a battle between the Rays and Marlins for worst attendance in the league.

I'm still wondering why they didnt put the new Marlins stadium in Ft. Lauderdale. Ft lauderdale is drivable from west palm beach...its smack dab in the middle of south florida. I specualte a lot more people would attend if it was more centralized (and of course if the team could build some kind of reputation as one that keeps a player more than a year)

I have no idea about the location of the stadium, but would that really have made that big of a difference?? Besides all the new Heat "fans", Miami has some pretty brutal fanbases for all of their pro teams.

Yes, I have a co-worker who lives in Boca Raton (45 minutes from MIA) who has had Marlins season tickets since the beginning, and when they moved the stadium last year to the new location, he decided to stop being a season ticket holder because the drive and parking. Also, from Boca Raton going North, there is about 30 miles of very poplulated areas that are just simply out of the driving radius to comfortably get to a game and back in a reasonalbe amount of time. Plus, we really have crappy roads here...You have to take I-95 south to the stadium, and nearly every single day its standstill traffic going south between 5-7pm (m-F).

The point is, where the stadium is now, people from Miami and Ft lauderdale go to games regularly. But if it was in Ft Laud (which is 30 minutes north of mIA), people from all of south florida would go more often. Just my opinion though.

And yes, Polaris is right, its just Florida...we cant expect people in charge in south florida to make these kinds of decisions.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    How much better is Toronto? Both pitchers are going to have some trouble in the AL East. Reyes is great, but that's a big contract.

What a bizarre trade.

Fuck Loria.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    How much better is Toronto? Both pitchers are going to have some trouble in the AL East. Reyes is great, but that's a big contract.

What a bizarre trade.

Fuck Loria.

toronto is much better ... definitely an upgrade at SS ... and i would say the versatility of bonifacio is huge with the way injuries are ... but more importantly ... as long as johnson and buerhle eat innings - that's all that matters ... we lost our entire starting rotation except for alvarez last year due to injuries ... guys like hutchinson and drabek may not come back this year ... so, we needed an upgrade huge and the way the market has behaved ... we would have had to overpay for a guy like jackson or sanchez ...

and above all that - this team needed some veteran leadership ... there was none in the clubhouse last year and with an awful coach - we were doomed ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

What a bizarre trade.

Fuck Loria.

toronto is much better ... definitely an upgrade at SS ... and i would say the versatility of bonifacio is huge with the way injuries are ... but more importantly ... as long as johnson and buerhle eat innings - that's all that matters ... we lost our entire starting rotation except for alvarez last year due to injuries ... guys like hutchinson and drabek may not come back this year ... so, we needed an upgrade huge and the way the market has behaved ... we would have had to overpay for a guy like jackson or sanchez ...

and above all that - this team needed some veteran leadership ... there was none in the clubhouse last year and with an awful coach - we were doomed ...

Oh no doubt. But how much better? 17 more wins just to get to 90.

Just not a move I would expect out of AA, especially Reyes.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

honestly ... i would say we way underachieved last year by having a shitty coach ... i don't have any stats to back it up but i am guessing we were horrible in any stat that reflected fundamental baseball ... like moving runners over, productive outs, etc ... plus, our bullpen really killed us last year ... that got fixed with trades at the end of last year but really that sunk us especially when all our starters got hurt ...

the number of wins is really going to be dependent on how mentally prepared this team is to win and whether or not the new manager can develop that ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

honestly ... i would say we way underachieved last year by having a shitty coach ... i don't have any stats to back it up but i am guessing we were horrible in any stat that reflected fundamental baseball ... like moving runners over, productive outs, etc ... plus, our bullpen really killed us last year ... that got fixed with trades at the end of last year but really that sunk us especially when all our starters got hurt ...

the number of wins is really going to be dependent on how mentally prepared this team is to win and whether or not the new manager can develop that ...

I hear you on that. I expected them to be a lot better than they were. Didn't see the Ricky Romero disaster coming and there were a bunch of injuries. Going to be a really interesting season for you guys. Fun no matter what. I expect them to be in the playoff picture, but not sure about the AL East picture just yet.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I hear you on that. I expected them to be a lot better than they were. Didn't see the Ricky Romero disaster coming and there were a bunch of injuries. Going to be a really interesting season for you guys. Fun no matter what. I expect them to be in the playoff picture, but not sure about the AL East picture just yet.

honestly ... this city will take anything at this point ... just being in the picture in september is more than we've seen in a long time ... no offense to any argos fans who read this ...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    I wonder if bud might pull a stern and veto this thing :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Tigers sign hunter 2/26
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:

if bud had any integrity... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

sorry, i couldn't get through that sentence...but, he should get rid of loria...and miami should sue him
    norm wrote:
    imalive wrote:

sorry, i couldn't get through that sentence...but, he should get rid of loria...and miami should sue him

"baseball reasons" :lol:

actually, stern shouldn't have done anything; bud should. we'll see...

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    torii hunter to detroit.

still pretty good for an old dude.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I love the Hunter signing. Legit #2 hitter and defensive outfielder. It will enable the Tigers to move Infante down to help out the bottom third of the lineup.

As far as the Marlins, every fan of theirs gets a free pass to switch allegiances to any team that they want in my mind. They are an embarrassment.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.

As far as the Marlins, every fan of theirs gets a free pass to switch allegiances to any team that they want in my mind.

all 100 get the free pass? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:
    imalive wrote:

"baseball reasons" :lol:

actually, stern shouldn't have done anything; bud should. we'll see...
    Unfortunately Bud will be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he veto's the trade there's going to be a lot of irrational and pissed off Canadians seeing this as a way of crushing the Blue Jays chances of being competitive.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I honestly didnt think Canadians cared about baseball.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • I honestly didnt think Canadians cared about baseball.
    For the most part, but I could see Blue Jays fans getting pretty choked if this doesn't go through. I've heard people say that the 94 strike was a conspiracy to kill baseball north of the boarder.
    For Bud, aka the owner's puppet, it's all about money. If he had been commish in 1992, I'm sure he would have approved the Tampa Bay Giants.

Only norm would have been happy ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    For Bud, aka the owner's puppet, it's all about money. If he had been commish in 1992, I'm sure he would have approved the Tampa Bay Giants.

still can't believe that almost happened...but no matter where they play, be it the polo grounds, the stick or that abomination in tampa, the giants still and always will, suck

:wave:
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,747
    How long before Jose Reyes DEMANDS a trade from Toronto? Really think he wants to beat the shit out of himself playing on that turf?
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think it has less to do with small ball and more to do with an unholy rash of SP injuries + Bautista missing half the season + Romero taking an enormous leap backward. Considering everyone they added, a 17 win swing isn't as unreasonable as it sounds.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    CY DICKEY AKA RA YOUNG :D8-)
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

CY DICKEY AKA RA YOUNG :D8-)

glad he got it :thumbup:

is MVP today?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    from the espn baseball page...note the ad on the right margin. maybe it's a close-out special :lol:

Screenshot2012-11-15at84014AM.png

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    imalive wrote:
    from the espn baseball page...note the ad on the right margin. maybe it's a close-out special :lol:

Screenshot2012-11-15at84014AM.png

Hah! :lol:
    species-rainbowtrout-fish.jpg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Cabrera won the mvp

did the fixer's head explode? :lol::lol:
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    norm wrote:
    imalive wrote:

still can't believe that almost happened...but no matter where they play, be it the polo grounds, the stick or that abomination in tampa, the giants still and always will, suck

YEP
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    norm wrote:
    imalive wrote:

YEP

oh, yeah, they really do :fp:

magic is more concerned with phil not getting hired than with his own team. good luck with that :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16