MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    polaris_x wrote:
    trade is official

reyes_jose_jays640.jpg
    I actually feel bad for the dude, kinda like how i feel bad for mittens, :lolno:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    HOF ballots go out tomorrow....

mlb_g_mcgwire_bonds_576.jpg
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    imalive wrote:
    HOF ballots go out tomorrow....

mlb_g_mcgwire_bonds_576.jpg
    Not gonna happen
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    If Barry bonds doesn't get into the hall of fame, it should be shut down. Hands down without a doubt the beat baseball player I have ever seen, steroids or not
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,747
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    If Barry bonds doesn't get into the hall of fame, it should be shut down. Hands down without a doubt the beat baseball player I have ever seen, steroids or not

I agree %100 that Bonds is a HOFer.
    cutz wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm not even a fan of the guy, but no one can argue he doesn't belong in the hall of fame. Take away 200 home runs, and he's still a first ballot. All anyone remembers is the last few years
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    cutz wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm not even a fan of the guy, but no one can argue he doesn't belong in the hall of fame. Take away 200 home runs, and he's still a first ballot. All anyone remembers is the last few years

I agree Bonds should be in the HOF but I find it interesting you are so adamant against Pete Rose being in? I mean aren't people only remembering the last few years with him too? :?
    DS1119 wrote:

I agree Bonds should be in the HOF but I find it interesting you are so adamant against Pete Rose being in? I mean aren't people only remembering the last few years with him too? :?

Pete rose broke the cardinal sin of baseball, agreed to his punishment and has since admitted to what he was banned for. Very different situations, I think
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Pete rose broke the cardinal sin of baseball, agreed to his punishment and has since admitted to what he was banned for. Very different situations, I think
    I think Pete should be in as a player, as the breaking of the rule happened when he was a manager.

Just my $0.02.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    If they're gonna keep guys like Mcgwire and Bonds out, they should go ahead and remove Aaron, Mays and Schmidt.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    bonds = lance armstrong lite

psychopaths shouldn't be in the HOF ... my 2 cents ...
    as a museum, the HOF should record history. PEDs were (are) part of baseball's history. Let the dopers in and note their use on their plaques.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wow, Rays. Hard not to like how bold that team is. I want to see what that guy can do with a bigger payroll.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Wow, Rays. Hard not to like how bold that team is. I want to see what that guy can do with a bigger payroll.

surprised longoria wants to stay...great manager but god-awful stadium/support.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I hear you. All those players seem to love it there though.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    imalive wrote:
    as a museum, the HOF should record history. PEDs were (are) part of baseball's history. Let the dopers in and note their use on their plaques.
    Agreed
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Interesting. I don't see it differently at all.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Interesting. I don't see it differently at all.

I don't see how they are similar in any way, shape or form. One is the cardinal sin in baseball and has been posted in every clubhouse since 1921 due to a team throwing the world series. One person accepted his punishment, knowing full well that the punishment carried the weight of never being inducted into the HOF. The punishment for doing what Pete Rose did was what he got and accepted. How do you argue a punishment you accepted and admitted to.

I can't rob a bank, take a plea deal then say...."yeah...you know what, I don't want that punishment anymore. I think I'll go home now"

The other guy took some substances that the league took less seriously than regular drugs and didn't test for. He took substances there was no punishment for. So if he were to accept the punishment for his wrong doing, it would be nothing, since there wasn't one.

Remind me how they are similar

Edit: And for someone how talks about personal responsibility so much and how to stay out of trouble, your stance on this is kind of bizarre. Pete Rose did what he did and got what he got because of it. He knew full well what would happen if he got caught, he did and he accepted it. End of story.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't see how they are similar in any way, shape or form. One is the cardinal sin in baseball and has been posted in every clubhouse since 1921 due to a team throwing the world series. One person accepted his punishment, knowing full well that the punishment carried the weight of never being inducted into the HOF. The punishment for doing what Pete Rose did was what he got and accepted. How do you argue a punishment you accepted and admitted to.

I can't rob a bank, take a plea deal then say...."yeah...you know what, I don't want that punishment anymore. I think I'll go home now"

The other guy took some substances that the league took less seriously than regular drugs and didn't test for. He took substances there was no punishment for. So if he were to accept the punishment for his wrong doing, it would be nothing, since there wasn't one.

The HOF is a separate entity and not controlled by MLB. They make their own rules. Considering the HOF's motto is "Preserving History, Honoring Excellence, Connecting Generations." I would say Rose plays a major role in the league's history and he certainly was an excellent player. Considering the HOF already has a murderer, a drug smuggler, etc. enshrined I feel it's quite hypocritical of them to try and dictate morality at this point.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The HOF is a separate entity and not controlled by MLB. They make their own rules. Considering the HOF's motto is "Preserving History, Honoring Excellence, Connecting Generations." I would say Rose plays a major role in the league's history and he certainly was an excellent player. Considering the HOF already has a murderer, a drug smuggler, etc. enshrined I feel it's quite hypocritical of them to try and dictate morality at this point.

That's fine and I don't disagree entirely but that is the only rule there is around that. Joe Jackson and Pete Rose can't get in because there is a rule that says if you get caught gambling on baseball, you don't get in. You may not agree with that rule, but there was a very good reason for it when it was implemented. Is it outdated, most definitely, but it is the rule of baseball and the one rule you don't break for the integrity of the game.

When we were arguing something a while back you said something along the lines of you may not agree with all laws or think the government should have certain laws, but you are responsible for following them and if you don't you are subject to the penalty. Exactly what happened. Just like if Barry Bonds played today, he would be subject to the drug testing and suspensions. He doesn't and he did some substances that at the time the league didn't take seriously.

Just like Aaron, Schmidt and a bunch of others took greenies.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's fine and I don't disagree entirely but that is the only rule there is around that. Joe Jackson and Pete Rose can't get in because there is a rule that says if you get caught gambling on baseball, you don't get in. You may not agree with that rule, but there was a very good reason for it when it was implemented. Is it outdated, most definitely, but it is the rule of baseball and the one rule you don't break for the integrity of the game.

When we were arguing something a while back you said something along the lines of you may not agree with all laws or think the government should have certain laws, but you are responsible for following them and if you don't you are subject to the penalty. Exactly what happened. Just like if Barry Bonds played today, he would be subject to the drug testing and suspensions. He doesn't and he did some substances that at the time the league didn't take seriously.

Just like Aaron, Schmidt and a bunch of others took greenies.

See the thing is is it's the HOF's rule. Rules can be changed and considering the HOF is for the fans ,and I would say most fans want to see Rose at least with the opportunity to be enshrined through the voting process, it's only right.
    DS1119 wrote:

See the thing is is it's the HOF's rule. Rules can be changed and considering the HOF is for the fans ,and I would say most fans want to see Rose at least with the opportunity to be enshrined through the voting process, it's only right.

I guess, I just think he should have to live with the punishment he accepted. You have to live with your actions.
    Man, I like Zach Greinke, more than most probably but someone is going to seriously overpay for him. Guess it doesn't matter to the Dodgers.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I guess, I just think he should have to live with the punishment he accepted. You have to live with your actions.

And he did sign the papers. Still doesn't mean rules can't be changed. Happens all the time.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Man, I like Zach Greinke, more than most probably but someone is going to seriously overpay for him. Guess it doesn't matter to the Dodgers.
    A Yankee fan talking about overpaying for a player...........now that's just funny.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,747
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yea, especially when he would get that kind of money anyway, and play for a winner.
    this guy should be available later this week...

228902_10151038269221006_483018911_n.jpg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    R.I.P. Marvin Miller
    I miss igotid88
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:
    this guy should be available later this week...

228902_10151038269221006_483018911_n.jpg

ned colletti is drooling...a giant with injuries? maybe he'll combine this signing with an extension of uribe's contract :fp: :lol::lol:
    edited November 2012
    The Scott Boras media machine has started. Article in USA Today practically gives Boras credit for building the Senators and Tigers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ml ... s/1733723/
    Post edited by DS1119 on