• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    runners on 1st and 3rd...

james loney = double play

adrian gonzales = 3-run home run

so far, i'm liking this trade :thumbup:

:mrgreen: :corn:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    igotid88 wrote:
    I would like Mattingly get a World Series ring. But not Beckett.
    Agreed on both.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    just throwing this out there....

when will the Astros make the playoffs again?

my guess...
    in 3-4 years.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:

my guess...
    in 3-4 years.
    I hear the owner is open to signing Clemens.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Pretty sweet news that Scully is coming back for another season. He's awesome.

Not a bad weekend for you, Norm.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not a bad weekend for you, Norm.

waking up to that news is awesome! :mrgreen:

but now it's time to get to work and win games...trailing the giants is making me quesy
  • PJam82PJam82 Posts: 107
    Putting even the Yankees on notice for at least a decade in the free agent market!!! To compare the Angels huge tv deal that netted them Pujols was for 3 Billion over 20 years. :corn:
    Mr. Walter’s penchant for spending is also being fueled by the comfort of knowing that the Dodgers will soon see an explosive increase in their local/regional TV revenues when their current deal expires in 2013 that could reach as high as $8.5 billion over the next 20 years.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2012 ... ing-spree/
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,126
    Newch91 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    I would like Mattingly get a World Series ring. But not Beckett.
    Agreed on both.

Beckett has 2 already anyway
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    Newch91 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

my guess...
    in 3-4 years.
    I hear the owner is open to signing Clemens.

please....not again. :fp:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    norm wrote:
    runners on 1st and 3rd...

james loney = double play

adrian gonzales = 3-run home run

so far, i'm liking this trade :thumbup:

:mrgreen: :corn:

loney's 1st ab in boston...gidp :lol::lol:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,863
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

that dude just will not go away.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

HA. Even you can't hate Scully.....can you?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

he's a giants fan...miserable and cranky :roll: :lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    norm wrote:

I wonder if the DOdgers could have gotten away without dealing prospects.
    norm wrote:

"Of course, the Dodgers’ future obligations are now quite steep — starting with $192.6 million for next season."

That is fucking insane.

I get this trade from both teams perspective.
    Mike Greenburgh had a wonderful qoute about the Sox/Dodgers deal. He feel there's never a chance the Red Sox regret making this deal, the Dodgers you can't quite say that. SPot on in my opinion.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

sure I can...just another cog in that miserable organization.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Dodgers coming to Yankee Stadium next year. That should be a whole lot of fun.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    norm wrote:

From Olney's blog yesterday. some of these are pretty funny...

I emailed a number of baseball evaluators for their appraisals of this deal, and these are their responses:

AL executive: "Boston would have done well just to unload the contracts and wipe the slate clean or just trade Adrian for the prospects. Somehow, it managed to move the contracts and get the prospects. Is it possible for the general manager of a team that's below .500 [Ben Cherington] to win executive of the year?"

NL executive: "Great deal for Boston. They would have done the deal with no talent coming back. To get two good young arms is incredible. … Really allows them to restart something that was broken. As good as it is for Boston, it is FAR WORSE for LA. Why on earth would they take back Crawford? How did they give up talent and not get $50 million back? The deal should have been Gonzo and Beckett for that talent. Crawford's inclusion is the part that makes it such a dramatic overpay for LA. They took 90+ million over 5 years for a player who has had two horrific seasons in a row and just had TJ..., Wow!"

AL executive: "I wish we had been lucky enough to have some team take on our mistake contracts [like the Red Sox have]."

AL evaluator: "Short term winner -- the Dodgers. Long-term and overall big winners are the Red Sox, because they have money to replace what they gave up along with two pitching prospects. They might have changed some culture around the team, along with dumping bad money. They will have a lot of pressure from the fans to spend money this winter and they have to be careful not to put themselves back in the same spot by overpaying for something that isn't elite talent. This is a big gamble for the Dodgers but does send a message. Now hopefully the Red Sox bogus sell-out streak will end for good."

AL official: "A no-brainer for the Red Sox. Crawford was nearly a sunk cost who was not the same guy, not even on defense. He is a below-average on-base percentage guy -- you could make a case that Boston was a better team with [Daniel] Nava in left field. Moving Beckett is so much more than saving money. And Adrian's severely declining walk rate was a major concern IMO (17% to 6% in four years, declining every year). With the power arms the Red Sox landed, I think this is a lot more than just payroll flexibility -- it's beyond their wildest dreams in terms of what they can save. Subtract two albatross contracts and stop crossing your fingers hoping that these guys will return to form in their 30's while adding young power arms at the same time.

"I don't see how [James] Loney isn't a non-tender; he is what he is, which is a guy who can play first base and make less next year on a one-year deal. The game is changing, it's becoming a game of young athletes, and the Red Sox just subtracted three guys who aren't necessarily young or very athletic."

High-ranking NL executive: "Wow. It's hard to believe this trade. I'm trying to remember a similar deal over last 20 years. The amount of money the Dodgers have taken on over the last five weeks. The Red Sox unloaded all of their issues in one deal, and we liked the players they got back -- and the dodgers are now a west coast super power!"

NL evaluator: "I love this deal for the Red Sox. Boston gets off of some really bad money and gets a fresh start with a new front office. Boston is going to spend money because they are Boston, but now the contracts will be those of Ben Cherington rather than Theo Epstein, who has more or less escaped blame for a litany of bad contracts. It was a move about changing the culture, but also a big break from the Epstein era.

"It's a mixed bag for the Dodgers. Adrian Gonzalez is a huge upgrade over James Loney in every facet of the game. Beckett and Crawford are both shells of the players they once were and are aging with little grace. Beckett should be usable moving from a hitter's park in the AL East to a pitcher's park in the NL West, but he doesn't have the same stuff or ratios as AJ Burnett did and I wouldn't expect a similar resurgence. Crawford is a wild card -- speed players don't age well and he's had a lot of injuries -- and his contract is among the worst in the game if not the worst, so it shows you how badly [L.A.] wanted Gonzalez (and, to a lesser degree, Beckett)."

AL evaluator: "Wow. Epic baseball trade on many levels. Ben Cherington just had his "Godfather" moment. He stunningly announced that he's unequivocally in charge to Red Sox Nation. This is reminiscent of the Godfather scene where Michael Corleone vanquished all Family Business in one broad stroke. Cherington did a remarkable job in extracting high end arms in Alan Webster and Rubby De La Rosa. Along with powerful Jerry Sands and useful Ivan DeJesus, Loney was necessary in this deal like a National Basketball Association transaction. He'll get a chance to improve his position going forward in lieu of possible free agency.

"This trade was transcendent on so many levels. Adrian Gonzalez is a West Coast-born slugger with a beautiful stroke, vast power, and poetic glove. Plus he's a Mexican-American with matinee looks in the prime of his career, and he is perfect for the Los Angeles market going forward. He brings star power to their colossal TV contract and region. For the Dodgers to acquire such a perfect fit for Los Angeles going forward, they had to acquiesce to the Red Sox' demands. In the process they got a player in Carl Crawford that simply was not built for the Boston pressure cooker. … Crawford should thrive in Los Angeles and remind everyone in baseball what he can be, when healthy and not scrutinized everyday at Dunkin Donuts in Worcester. Josh Beckett doesn't have to face the DH or the power packed lineups of the AL East. Plus for the most part, besides Arizona, the ballparks in the NL West are spacious. That bodes well for his stuff going forward. Plus, he's proven if he gets to the finish line, he can be a stabilizer in October.

"From the Dodgers' perspective, they slid all of their chips in and announced that Chavez Ravine is a prime destination. Coupled with the new ownership in place, they proclaimed anything is possible. To make this happen they had to work in conjunction with the Red Sox request -- otherwise the Red Sox would have just held onto Adrian Gonzalez. Which if you look at what Prince Fielder and Mark Teixeira signed for, Adrian's contract is reasonable."

NL executive: "I think the Dodgers took on a huge risk -- $260 million for one very good player and two question marks. And they gave up good prospects."
  • Looked good at Fenway yesterday.

Every fan must make the trip there. Great park!
    Hold On
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Beckett :lol::lol:
    LloydXmas wrote:

:fp: :evil:
    norm wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

:lol:
    norm wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

D'oh!!! :lol::lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    LloydXmas wrote:

:lol::lol:

He's such an asshole. :lol::lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

in that case.....perfect for the d**gers :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

in that case.....perfect for the d**gers :lol:

At least you get to read about him instead of me. If there was ever one pitcher I wished would take one of the knoggin' it's him. :lol:
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,706
    Kemp suffers knee contusion

http://filesmelt.com/dl/kemp.gif
    I miss igotid88
    Dice-K is on trade waivers. :yawn: