MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Flagg wrote:
    Too early to declare victory with a 7 game lead on August 18?

just watch out for that pesky black cat. :lol:

the Cubs began the 1969 season by winning 11 of their first 12 games, and on August 16, they were 75-44, up by a season high nine games over second place New York. By September 2, they had soared to a 84-52 record, well on pace to exceed the previous season's mark, but their lead over the Mets had fallen to five games. From there the Mets went on a tear. The Cubs ultimately lost 17 of the last 25 games of the season, while the Mets went 23-7 to overtake the Cubs and finish eight games ahead of them.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    81 wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    Too early to declare victory with a 7 game lead on August 18?

just watch out for that pesky black cat. :lol:

the Cubs began the 1969 season by winning 11 of their first 12 games, and on August 16, they were 75-44, up by a season high nine games over second place New York. By September 2, they had soared to a 84-52 record, well on pace to exceed the previous season's mark, but their lead over the Mets had fallen to five games. From there the Mets went on a tear. The Cubs ultimately lost 17 of the last 25 games of the season, while the Mets went 23-7 to overtake the Cubs and finish eight games ahead of them.
    :lol:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    a few more late season collapses

http://baseball.about.com/od/majorleagu ... lapses.htm

7 games in august means jack
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    a few more late season collapses

http://baseball.about.com/od/majorleagu ... lapses.htm

7 games in august means jack
    Love this one:

4. 1978 Boston Red Sox
    Boston led by 14 in July and still held a 7.5-game lead with 32 games remaining. A 14-of-17 swoon was the opening the Yankees needed to close the gap, which included a four-game sweep at Fenway Park. The Red Sox won their final eight, and needed a Cleveland victory over New York to force a one-game playoff at Fenway Park. And that's when the name Bucky Dent became an expletive in New England, as the Yankees' light-hitting shortstop hit a home run in a 3-2 New York victory. The Yankees won their second consecutive World Series.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Joe Mauer playing right field tonight. This should be fun to watch.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Joe Mauer playing right field tonight. This should be fun to watch.

the twins are the 76ers of MLB
    Really nice ceremony for Thome.
    Thome gets a 6 inch crystal for his 600th home run. Derek Jeter gets this monstrosity

JeterStainlessSteelSculptureTeam3000Hitsceremony8132011reuters.jpg

The Yankees are so gluttonous. I love it
    BA summary of top drafts.

Now that all the signings have been finalized, who had the top five drafts, in order?

John Havok
    Lethbridge, Alb.
    John asked this question in last Wednesday's draft chat, and though I fired off a quick reply, I wanted to give it some more thought. So I've stolen his question for Ask BA, spent more time perusing it and determined my final answer:

1. Nationals. With three of the first 34 selections, Washington got the best player in the draft at No. 6 (third baseman Anthony Rendon), as well as one of the most electric arms (righthander Alex Meyer) and one of the best athletes (outfielder Brian Goodwin). The Nationals also figured out a way to sign lefthander Matt Purke, who entered 2011 as BA's third-rated draft prospect behind Rendon and Gerrit Cole, then fell to the third round after shoulder problems. Washington's draft was top-heavy, but lefthander Kylin Turnbull (fourth round) and righthander Taylor Hill (sixth) give them two more solid college arms.

2. Diamondbacks. No team landed as much pitching as Arizona, which used two of the top seven selections on righthanders Trevor Bauer and Archie Bradley. Bauer should be the first player from the 2011 draft to reach the majors, perhaps in September. The Diamondbacks also grabbed lefthander Andrew Chafin (supplemental first) and righties Anthony Meo (second), Evan Marshall (fourth) and Kyle Winkler (10th).

3. Red Sox. Boston signed six of our Top 100 Draft Prospects, and I believe that's more than any team except for the Rays and Padres. If the Red Sox had picked high enough to grab one of the seven elite players in this draft, I would have put them No. 1on this list. They have nothing to complain about after snapping up righthander Matt Barnes and catcher Blake Swihart in the first round, then lefthander Henry Owens and outfielder Jackie Bradley in the supplemental first. Boston didn't stop there, also getting toolsy outfielder Williams Jerez (second), changeup artist Noe Ramirez (fourth), speedy Mookie Betts (fifth) and projectable lefty Cody Kukuk (seventh).

4. Pirates. No team ever spent as much on one draft as Pittsburgh did on its top two choices. Cole (No. 1 overall) had the best pure arm available, and supposedly unsignable outfielder Josh Bell (second) may have had the highest offensive ceiling. The Pirates didn't make as much noise after those two, though they did get one of the better college bats in first baseman Alex Dickerson (third) and a pair of projectable righthanders in Tyler Glasnow (fifth) and Jake Burnette (seventh), then spent a ninth-round-record $1.2 million on physical righty Clay Holmes.

5. Rays. Tampa Bay had a record 12 picks in the first two rounds, and it started off with two nice talent values in righthander Taylor Guerrieri at No. 24 and outfielder Mikie Mahtook at No. 31. After that, I thought the Rays sacrificed some ability in order to make sure they could sign all of their top choices. I would have preferred to see them take the best guys available and sign as many of them as possible, yet it's also impossible to deny that they wound up with nine players from our Top 100: Guerrieri, Mahtook, shortstop Brandon Martin (supplemental first), third baseman Tyler Goeddel (supplemental first), outfielder Kes Carter (supplemental first), lefthander Grayson Garvin (supplemental first), outfielder Granden Goetzman (second), righty Lenny Linsky (second) and outfielder Johnny Eierman (third).
    Teams need to stop trading with the Blue Jays, jesus, Alex A gets the best of every deal so far it seems Granted it's not a big trade but another win for Toronto.

Edit: I didnt realize Johnson and that terrible numbers this year. Interesting trade, not sure what anyone gets out of it.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Teams need to stop trading with the Blue Jays, jesus, Alex A gets the best of every deal so far it seems Granted it's not a big trade but another win for Toronto.

Edit: I didnt realize Johnson and that terrible numbers this year. Interesting trade, not sure what anyone gets out of it.

hate to see macdonald go ... we loved that guy here ... he will for sure end up on the coaching staff someday within the organization ...

hill was a class guy too who just hasn't played well in over 2 years ...

edit: if this move was to put 2 class guys on a team that can compete for the WS ... that's pretty awesome ...
    I think that trade is crap for crap. Johnson's K totals are scary
    cubs may be going after theo epstein. that would be pretty crazy
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Fixer wrote:
    I think that trade is crap for crap. Johnson's K totals are scary

the trade was meant to guarantee type B free agent status for the jays ... hill would have to play the remainder of the season to ensure that status ... now, we can take a look at some of our prospects in september ... as johnson is guaranteed to be a type b ...

also, it was a move to give johnny mac a chance at post season glory ... strong possibility he will come back to toronto next year ... we love that guy here ...
    The Fixer wrote:

why would he leave the red sox....just sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:

And I'm going after Penelope Cruz
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

why would he leave the red sox....just sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor

to paraphrase henny youngmen "take ned colletti. please!" :twisted:
    it's fairly apparent that the Cubs will have an opportunity to hire a big name for their next general manager, if they so choose. Executives say privately that they view the Cubs' job as an opportunity with enormous potential, under Tom Ricketts, because it's evident he is devoted to the idea of turning the team -- the ballpark and the baseball operations -- into something great, as John Henry's group did when it took over the Boston Red Sox. The Cubs have the potential to be to the NL Central what the New York Yankees and the Red Sox have been to the AL East, one rival executive explained this week.

Brian Cashman, the Yankees' general manager, could be a candidate, as could Tampa Bay Rays GM Andrew Friedman, who might be in position to escape the shadow of the AL monsters. Oakland's ballpark situation is buried deep in a sea of baseball machinations, and A's GM Billy Beane could be at a crossroads in his career, looking for a better chance to win. Pat Gillick, a Hall of Famer as a GM, has mused about the Cubs' job publicly.

And here's another big name to keep in mind: Theo Epstein, the general manager of the Red Sox.

In years past, some friends say, Epstein has talked about the Cubs' organization as a place with extraordinary growth potential and as a unique challenge. When Epstein took over the Red Sox, Boston had had more than eight decades of frustration before it finally won the World Series in 2004.

Keep in mind that Epstein has carved out a strong position under Red Sox owners Henry and Tom Werner, and friends say he has a deep loyalty to the Boston organization -- and keep in mind that Boston is his hometown and that Epstein is in the middle of his current contract.

But that would not preclude the Cubs from calling the Red Sox and asking whether they could talk to Epstein, presumably with the potential offer of some kind of promotion, such as a club presidency with oversight of baseball operations. There's no telling how Henry would react or how Ricketts would handle that situation or what Epstein would want until those conversations take place.

Whoever gets the Cubs' job, though, is almost certainly going to be a heavyweight. "It seems like it's more a matter of who they want, as opposed to who would agree to go there," one high-ranked executive said.
    Cashman said he has no interest, why would he want to take over that disaster? Theo isn't going anywhere. I thought Friedman would go to Houston but I could see him going to the cubs instead
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cashman said he has no interest, why would he want to take over that disaster? Theo isn't going anywhere. I thought Friedman would go to Houston but I could see him going to the cubs instead

cashman knows he will never have complete autonomy with the yanks. see rafael soriano.

that said, I have no idea what cashman's contract situation is.
    His contract is up this year, sure he knows that but he has a whole lot more control than he did. I know you have to take it with a grain if salt but he said he has no interest and wants to stay, which was the first time he said it this year.

Why would he leave a great thing for a complete disaster?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    His contract is up this year, sure he knows that but he has a whole lot more control than he did. I know you have to take it with a grain if salt but he said he has no interest and wants to stay, which was the first time he said it this year.

Why would he leave a great thing for a complete disaster?

Like olney's article says, the cubs have the resources to win. It's not like he'd be going somewhere that won't spend any money. And I think that a job like the cubs, where he would be a hero in the city forever if they ever won it all...would be somewhat appealing. Now he is expected win every year. It's kinda like he gets criticized if they don't win, but there isn't much praise if they do win (because they're expected to every year). I'm sure that has to get old.

but what the hell do I know
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Former Oriole Mike Flanagan Found Dead

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/sport ... &seid=auto
    I miss igotid88
    3 grand slams in one game?? damn
    The Fixer wrote:

First time in the history of the game. Unreal.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

First time in the history of the game. Unreal.

I would have stepped on swisher's head after that posada throw if I was that oakland guy.
    The Fixer wrote:

I would have stepped on swisher's head after that posada throw if I was that oakland guy.

Yeah, they couldn't be happy about that game
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, they couldn't be happy about that game

I was never a good loser when I was part of games like that.