MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    81 wrote:
    it's the bigger penis syndrome. kind of like yankee's fans hating on uggla's recent streak. ;)

but seriously, if they want to compare hof penis, compare vote %. the greatest of the great will be up in the 98% range, while your not so great great players will be at like 80%

maybe this is better way to debate thome. what % of the votes do you think he will get

Ha, true. I forgot to respond to all of that. I was a tad intoxicated when I wrote that, I believe. I just think if someone is going to break the streak, I would prefer it to be a player better than Dan Uggla.

Agreed though. I hate how some writers feel like it's their responsibility to protect the gates of the hall and some sacred first ballot honor.

Here is a list of players and their percentages. Obviously take it with a grain of salt since so much changes over time

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofmem4.shtml

Alomar was obviously a much better fielder and was a middle infielder, but I would have to think Thome would approach 90% if he did. Keep in mind, everyone loves Thome, including writers and I am sure that helps. You know there are going to be plenty of writers who don't vote for Bonds because they think he's an asshole and I bet they will vote for Thome because they like him.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    edited August 2011
    81 wrote:
    that's an interesting way to look at it. what if each player only got once chance at the hof? i'd have to think about this.

The latest argument I saw was the complete opposite. Have no 15-year limit on eligibility. Seeing as how appreciation of statistics and the like changes over times. For instance, one might say Chase Utley is a lousy defensive 2B because he has never won a Gold Glove. Or one might say that Gold Gloves are random and have nothing to do with how good one is at defense, and Chase Utley was a spectacular defensive 2B.

Also, when the writers look and see that a guy didn't win MVP's or Cy Youngs or whatever and don't vote for him, it's pretty dumb because it's probably the same writers who shafted him out of the awards to start with.

Jeter isn't a gold glover?

i kid yankee's fans, i kid. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i'm going to put Thome's vote % at 81.5%

Beat me to it. You don't think he will be higher than that?
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    that's an interesting way to look at it. what if each player only got once chance at the hof? i'd have to think about this.

The latest argument I saw was the complete opposite. Have no 15-year limit on eligibility. Seeing as how appreciation of statistics and the like changes over times. For instance, one might say Chase Utley is a lousy defensive 2B because he has never won a Gold Glove. Or one might say that Gold Gloves are random and have nothing to do with how good one is at defense, and Chase Utley was a spectacular defensive 2B.

Also, when the writers look and see that a guy didn't win MVP's or Cy Youngs or whatever and don't vote for him, it's pretty dumb because it's probably the same writers who shafted him out of the awards to start with.

Reigning Gold Glover :lol::lol:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i'm going to put Thome's vote % at 81.5%

Beat me to it. You don't think he will be higher than that?

i was scanning this list of names in the order of their %. i had Thome in 60ish range on the list which was the low 80's

i orginally thought 82.5 but backed it down a tick.
    i could see it being as high as 85, but not much more.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    81 wrote:

i kid yankee's fans, i kid. :lol:

They know it was a joke (not really a joke, you know). At least I think they do...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Here is a list of players and their percentages. Obviously take it with a grain of salt since so much changes over time

Alomar was obviously a much better fielder and was a middle infielder, but I would have to think Thome would approach 90% if he did. Keep in mind, everyone loves Thome, including writers and I am sure that helps. You know there are going to be plenty of writers who don't vote for Bonds because they think he's an asshole and I bet they will vote for Thome because they like him.

dude was a perennial gold glover who hit for average, stole bases and had decent power ... there aren't too many players as complete as he was ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

dude was a perennial gold glover who hit for average, stole bases and had decent power ... there aren't too many players as complete as he was ...

Completely agree.

But there are also only 8 players in baseball history to hit 600 home runs, add a .400+ OBP to that, and that is pretty damn impressive.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Completely agree.

But there are also only 8 players in baseball history to hit 600 home runs, add a .400+ OBP to that, and that is pretty damn impressive.

sure ... but if you were building a team and could have them for their best 10 years ... who would you pick?
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Completely agree.

sure ... but if you were building a team and could have them for their best 10 years ... who would you pick?

I would take Alomar any day, but that doesn't take away anything from Thome or make him less of a hall of famer. I was just using him as a recent comparsion to estimate the percentage of votes. I don't think he'll get the same number of votes but I don't think he will be that far off.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I would take Alomar any day, but that doesn't take away anything from Thome or make him less of a hall of famer. I was just using him as a recent comparsion to estimate the percentage of votes. I don't think he'll get the same number of votes but I don't think he will be that far off.

well ... those numbers are when they got into the hall ... if i had to guess ... thome will get in around the low 80's ... in his second year ... :)
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

well ... those numbers are when they got into the hall ... if i had to guess ... thome will get in around the low 80's ... in his second year ... :)

I'm glad that makes you feel better. :?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm glad that makes you feel better. :?

uhhh ... not sure what you are getting at ... i don't really come and post an opinion to make myself feel better ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    uhhh ... not sure what you are getting at ... i don't really come and post an opinion to make myself feel better ...

You obviously don't want Thome to be elected to the HoF a year earlier than Alomar.

It's generally acknowledged that Alomar was "punished" for the spitting incident by having his HoF election delayed one year. I don't agree with shit like that, but that's what happened.

Also, I predict that Thome will not be a first-ballot Hall of Famer - probably 3rd or 4th. Not that I agree, of course.

polaris_x wrote:

You obviously don't want Thome to be elected to the HoF a year earlier than Alomar.

It's generally acknowledged that Alomar was "punished" for the spitting incident by having his HoF election delayed one year. I don't agree with shit like that, but that's what happened.

Also, I predict that Thome will not be a first-ballot Hall of Famer - probably 3rd or 4th. Not that I agree, of course.

honestly ... i could care less ... cliffy brought up alomar - i just went along ... i'm not enough of a baseball historian or purest to know who is in and on what ballot ... i really don't take this stuff too seriously ... like i said, i like the guy i just don't think he's a first ballot guy based on what i know ... simple as that ...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    real cool of thome to mention charlie manuel and his effect on his career last night. they obviously have pretty tight bond.

pipe dream--but i would love to see the phils acquire him again via waiver wire deal in the next 2 weeks. lil pop off the bench and a dh in the ws ;) . probably wont happen...
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Glad Thome is getting some recognition for his 600th. He deserves every bit of it.

crazy as it sounds I think the phils have a better shot at getting heath bell via waivers trade than they do of getting thome
  • brew crew on fire :mrgreen:
    Randall Delgado was just called up by atlanta to take tommy hanson's spot. He's got a no hitter thru 6.

Atlanta is annoying with their never ending supply of beast pitchers
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    brew crew on fire :mrgreen:
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh men at work
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:
    Randall Delgado was just called up by atlanta to take tommy hanson's spot. He's got a no hitter thru 6.

Atlanta is annoying with their never ending supply of beast pitchers
    lets just hope they produce another four horsemen again or else everyone in the nl east is fucked lol
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    going back to that toronto sign stealing thing....

NOW we know why bautista suddenly started hitting HRs :shh:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

guess they must have guys in every stadium cuz he hits the same number away and at home ... :lol:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    polaris_x wrote:
    imalive wrote:

guess they must have guys in every stadium cuz he hits the same number away and at home ... :lol:

But only the Blue Jays, and not their opponents, got a home run boost in Toronto. When the Jays were on the road in 2010, they hit home runs in 4 percent of plate appearances in which they made contact, compared with an AL average of 3.6 percent. At Rogers, their home run on contact rate soared to 5.4 percent, which is a home-field advantage seven times the magnitude teams typically enjoy.

Opposing batters, however, actually homered on contact at a below-average rate in Toronto. As a result, the power differential between home and visiting hitters at Rogers in 2010 was the third largest of any park in any season over the past 60 years.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    hey, can anyone explain rotisserie fantasy baseball to me in a nutshell? I have never participated in it and what happened was my brother quit managing his so I took over but I still don't really grasp how I get 1 point 1 night and loose -.5 the other night.

I am also coming off a 6 point night last night, so pretty pumped for that seeing as that hardly ever happens.

I usually just do head-to-head fantasy baseball

THXS
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    hey, can anyone explain rotisserie fantasy baseball to me in a nutshell? I have never participated in it and what happened was my brother quit managing his so I took over but I still don't really grasp how I get 1 point 1 night and loose -.5 the other night.

I am also coming off a 6 point night last night, so pretty pumped for that seeing as that hardly ever happens.

THXS

roto leagues are usually a cumulative total of stats for the year. no head to head.

so if there are ten teams in your league and you have the most home runs, you would earn 10 points towards the standings. team with 2nd most home runs would earn 9 points toward standings. 3rd highest hr total would earn 8 points. and so on.

that's how the roto leagues I have been in have worked anyway
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    The Fixer wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

THXS

roto leagues are usually a cumulative total of stats for the year. no head to head.

so if there are ten teams in your league and you have the most home runs, you would earn 10 points towards the standings. team with 2nd most home runs would earn 9 points toward standings. 3rd highest hr total would earn 8 points. and so on.

so if I had 6 points last night for my team, then I can presume that I went, for example, from 5th in overall batting average to 4th which got me 1 point and say went from 4th to 2nd in HR's so that would have got me 2 points etc?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Too early to declare victory with a 7 game lead on August 18?
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    Too early to declare victory with a 7 game lead on August 18?

AL East/AL Wild Card, AL West, NL East, NL Wild Card and NL Central are all over. Pennant Fever!!! :lol:

The shitty AL Central should be interesting as always. Tigers love blowing leads in September.

I think there's a chance the d-Bags run away with the NL West. It would be interesting to see the Giants fighting to survive again. I just don't think they have any more pixie dust to do it.

smarchee wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

THXS

so if I had 6 points last night for my team, then I can presume that I went, for example, from 5th in overall batting average to 4th which got me 1 point and say went from 4th to 2nd in HR's so that would have got me 2 points etc?

sounds about right to me.

roto leagues can be fun
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg