MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,199
    The Fixer wrote:

John Lannan sucks

Ahhhhhhhhh...I know, I know. I'm still holding out hope he can be a solid 3, but he's gotta stop putting guys on base.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjl44 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

John Lannan sucks

Ahhhhhhhhh...I know, I know. I'm still holding out hope he can be a solid 3, but he's gotta stop putting guys on base.

what team do you root for?
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

John Lannan sucks

what team do you root for?

Yankees, but a little less as each season passes. More of a general baseball geek at this point.
    Just checked out the standings. Midway point in the season and the largest division lead is only 4 games. Should be a great 2nd half with so many teams still in contention. Baseball is the best.
    I love watching brian wilson shit the bed. Biggest tool in baseball. By a lot
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    giants 12
    tigers 0

5th inning, after a 2 hour rain delay. about 12 fans left in the park.

i hate interleague.

why am i watching this garbage?!?!?!? :x :x :x :lol::lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    I dunno, I wouldn't mind the Yankees playing some more interleague games. Winning seven in a row is pretty good, would like to continue it. ;)
    tcaporale wrote:
    I dunno, I wouldn't mind the Yankees playing some more interleague games. Winning seven in a row is pretty good, would like to continue it. ;)

phils are 9-5. but they're winning over 60% against nl teams too.

interleague games just feel like exhibition games to me (except when playing the yanks or redsox). much more looking forward to the marlins and bravos next week than tomorrow's beat down with young clifton on the mound.
    www.myspace.com
    Watching braves/orioles. gary thorn just said chipper jones has never struck out 100 times in a season. that is fucking incredible. what a beast

EDIT: Just looked up his stats. For his career he has 110 more walks than Ks. God damn, that is crazy.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    Bryce Harper to double a. Wow, i may have to make another trip to Trenton to see him this year when he's there.

Average age in double a is 24 and there are only 2 hitters under 21. He's 18. I don't see anyway this kid isn't up by 20.
    Biggest All-Star snubs?

As a Yankee fan I have to go with CC, but no Andrew McCutchen is a bit of a joke as well.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    The Pittsburgh Pirates are not only 2 games over .500 ... but they are 1.5 games out of first place in the NL Central.

And it's not April 10th ... it's freakin' July!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Just missed B. Harper by one day. They just closed out a series with the rock cats.

http://m.mlb.com/wsh/news/article/2011070421388598/
    jimed14 wrote:
    The Pittsburgh Pirates are not only 2 games over .500 ... but they are 1.5 games out of first place in the NL Central.

And it's not April 10th ... it's freakin' July!

they really need to realign and eliminate both central divisions. Too easy for those crappy teams to make the playoffs
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,802
    tcaporale wrote:
    Biggest All-Star snubs?

As a Yankee fan I have to go with CC, but no Andrew McCutchen is a bit of a joke as well.

those two Craig Kimbrel and Shane Victorino
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    the all star in of itself is a joke, nevermind the fans voting for the starters

3 things i'd like to see fix bout the all star game

1. get rid of this exhibition game deciding home field advantage
    2. players and managers should decide the starting lineups
    3. fans should vote for the rest of the team

i hardly ever watch the all star game anymore or really care for it. i get more pumped for the futures game and home run derby.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

It's true, the whole home field advantage thing is ridiculous.

A team who won 85 games could have home field advantage over a team who won 105 games just because of some exhibition game that only one or two of its own players participated in. Makes no sense.
    metsfan wrote:
    the all star in of itself is a joke, nevermind the fans voting for the starters

3 things i'd like to see fix bout the all star game

1. get rid of this exhibition game deciding home field advantage
    2. players and managers should decide the starting lineups
    3. fans should vote for the rest of the team

i hardly ever watch the all star game anymore or really care for it. i get more pumped for the futures game and home run derby.

agreed. but if they do number 1 on your list, i wouldn't care about the fans voting so much. maybe the fans vote can count 1/3 with the players and managers say counting for the other 2/3's.... :think:

though the circumstances around it tends to piss me off, i still enjoy watching this game. reminds me of being a kid.
    www.myspace.com
    I say let the fans vote. It's an exhibition and the right guys generally get voted in.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    pjl44 wrote:
    I say let the fans vote. It's an exhibition and the right guys generally get voted in.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    agreed. but if they do number 1 on your list, i wouldn't care about the fans voting so much. maybe the fans vote can count 1/3 with the players and managers say counting for the other 2/3's.... :think:
    another really great idea
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Anyone else see that the Rangers signed two of the top international amatuer free agents for a combined $8.5 million?

Both guys are 16 years old. A lot of teams seem to be finding foreign talent as a way of getting around the MLB draft slotting system. I wish the phils spent more money on these types of guys

Also, watching an 80 year old jack mckeon get in an umpire's face is reason number 3,031,886 why I'm against instant replay in MLB. Tremendous
    They sign that kid I was talking about that the yanks were interested in?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The Yankees have signed Dominican third baseman Miguel Andujar. Update (5:15 pm): Andujar signed for for $750,000, the Dominican Prospect League announced.

Andujar, a 16-year-old from San Cristobal who played in the Dominican Prospect League, was one of the top third basemen in Latin America with a well-rounded skill set. At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Andujar stood out with his righthanded bat at an international youth tournament in Venezuela in April.
    BA has him ranked 20th in their international rankings...

20. MIGUEL ANDUJAR, 3B
    DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

B-T: R-R Ht.: 6-1 Wt.: 180

Andujar has plenty of game experience, and it's evident in the way he plays. A 16-year-old from San Cristobal, Andujar plays in the Dominican Prospect League and has represented his country during international tournaments, including one in April in Venezuela. Andujar hit well there and has hit well most places he's gone. He doesn't have one knockout tool, but he has a good swing, good bat speed and advanced feel for hitting for his age. He has quick hands and a good swing path, with the potential to hit for average and power. Andujar is solid in the field as well, with the ability to handle third base and a strong arm. Andujar trains with Basilio Vizcaino (known as Cachasa), who also worked with Yankees catcher Gary Sanchez ($3 million in 2009) and Yankees shortstop Christopher Tamarez ($650,000 in 2010). The Yankees appear to have made Andujar one of their top targets this summer.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The Yankees have signed Dominican third baseman Miguel Andujar. Update (5:15 pm): Andujar signed for for $750,000, the Dominican Prospect League announced.

Andujar, a 16-year-old from San Cristobal who played in the Dominican Prospect League, was one of the top third basemen in Latin America with a well-rounded skill set. At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Andujar stood out with his righthanded bat at an international youth tournament in Venezuela in April.

I just saw that. That's not the kid I was thinking about though. The other kid is in the Mexican League. Can't find the kids the Rangers signed.

The Yankees have done well on the international market. Cano for one but most of their top prospects, Montero...Banuelos...Gary Sanchez.
    Here's some stuff on the rangers guys. I will post the scouting reports too. I think it's really smart to go after these types of guys...especially the position players.

Rangers Sign Nomar Mazara To Possible Record Deal

Posted Jul. 2, 2011 4:01 pm by Ben Badler
    Filed under: International, News
    The Rangers have signed Dominican outfielder Nomar Mazara. Terms were not immediately available, but ESPN's Enrique Rojas reports that the bonus is expected to be around $5 million, which would be a new record for an international amateur, surpassing the $4.25 million the Athletics spent on Michael Ynoa in 2008.

Mazara, who is 6-foot-3, 185 pounds, is a 16-year-old lefty with the best raw power in Latin America. A $5 million price tag was rumored throughout the industry leading up to July 2, leaving many international scouting directors stunned that any team would pay that price. ESPN also reported that the Rangers will likely sign Dominican righthander Pedro Payano, who like Mazara is also represented by Ivan Noboa, for a bonus of $500,000-$600,000.

Here is part of Baseball America's scouting report on Mazara from yesterday:

"He may have the most raw power in Latin America, with batting practice shots that leave scouts in awe. He employs a big leg kick and generates good weight transfer in BP with excellent loft and backspin. He has a projectable body with lanky limbs on a large, strong frame. The only thing that can match Mazara's epic power are his equally epic ability to rack up strikeouts.

Mazara, who is represented by Ivan Noboa, doesn't play in any of the major leagues that have popped up in the Dominican Republic and has been showcased judiciously. Several scouts have said Mazara showed up at workouts, took BP then left without facing live pitching. Those who have been seen him in games say his hit tool is nowhere near as advanced as his power. He has a massive leg kick that works for him in BP when he's in a rhythm, but it can be difficult for him to maintain his balance and timing. He's a corner outfielder with an average arm, but any team that signs him will be banking on his bat."

The Rangers today also spent $3.5 million on another lefthanded 16-year-old Dominican outfielder, Ronald Guzman, widely considered one of the top hitters in Latin America.
    2. RONALD GUZMAN, OF
    DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

B-T: L-L Ht.: 6-4 Wt.: 195

Hernandez and Guzman have been the two highest-profile prospects in Latin America for July 2, with scouts split on which of the two is the better prospect. A 16-year-old from La Vega, Guzman plays in the Dominican Prospect League and trains with Eddy Robles. Last August in Jupiter, Fla., Guzman led his Dominican Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities (RBI) team to the island's first RBI championship, then played in the Under Armour All-America Game at Wrigley Field. Guzman's brother, Edward, played in the Mets organization as an outfielder and a pitcher from 2007-09. Guzman earns attention for his size, swing and advanced hitting approach. He has a good swing path and stays inside the ball well for someone with his length, and he has the ability to stay up the middle and use the opposite field. His head stays locked in during his swing, helping him see the ball well and work counts. Guzman should have above-average raw power once he fills out (he won the DPL home run derby in January), though his power doesn't always show up in games.

Unlike Elier Hernandez, Guzman is not a quick-twitch athlete. Scouts have questions about his bat speed, which is why he doesn't usually show pull power in games. He can be a bit hunched over at the plate, though that should be correctable. He's a below-average runner with a below-average arm that will limit him to left field, though he does show solid instincts. Guzman has already graduated from high school and earns rave reviews from scouts for his makeup and aptitude. Most international sources believe the Rangers and Red Sox are the frontrunners for his services, though the Blue Jays are among the teams that have also been linked to him.
    Surprising that the guy rated 10th got $1.5 mill more than the guy ranked 2nd.

10. NOMAR MAZARA, OF
    DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

B-T: L-L Ht.: 6-3 Wt.: 185

Mazara has been the source of the most outrageous rumors regarding what teams have offered him, with a new team popping up each time the latest rumor gets debunked. While misinformation in the Dominican Republic is nothing new, Mazara's outstanding raw power is a reality. He may have the most raw power in Latin America, with batting practice shots that leave scouts in awe. He employs a big leg kick and generates good weight transfer in BP with excellent loft and backspin. He has a projectable body with lanky limbs on a large, strong frame. The only thing that can match Mazara's epic power are his equally epic ability to rack up strikeouts.

Mazara, who is represented by Ivan Noboa, doesn't play in any of the major leagues that have popped up in the Dominican Republic and has been showcased judiciously. Several scouts have said Mazara showed up at workouts, took BP then left without facing live pitching. Those who have been seen him in games say his hit tool is nowhere near as advanced as his power. He has a massive leg kick that works for him in BP when he's in a rhythm, but it can be difficult for him to maintain his balance and timing. He's a corner outfielder with an average arm, but any team that signs him will be banking on his bat.
    Thats pretty impressive for the Rangers. Good for them. Neither of them are the kid I was hoping the Yanks would sign so thats good.

International market is so important for good teams with shitty draft picks.