MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• pjl44 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Great article related to how the lower payroll teams can contend in today's MLB environment. Really is amazing how great of an impact Moneyball had on how players are evaluated and teams are run.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/646 ... -moneyball

Cool...gonna check this out now. You nailed it when you were talking about the draft a couple pages ago. Going over slot and just paying the best talent seems to be a far more efficient use of funds than dropping ten times as much on a 30-year-old free agent. Amazing that a bunch of teams haven't figured this out yet (cough TigersandAstros).
    Granted, the Tigers still do overpay for older free agents at times (though i did then and still love the Victor Martinez signing), they have been building up the franchise through recent drafts as well. Recent draft picks that are contributing now-

Rick Porcello
    Charlie Furbush
    Alex Avila
    Brennan Boesch
    Andy Dirks (looks like he's going to be a player so far)

as well as pitchers Jacob Turner and Andy Oliver showing alot of promise in the minors.

Alot of the above names most people may not know, but they are some good homegrown ball players. Now if we can just find a third baseman to replace Inge :?
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Porcello and Furbush are gonna be good. I think Boesch blows
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    James Shields is good
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,197
    edited June 2011
    Granted, the Tigers still do overpay for older free agents at times (though i did then and still love the Victor Martinez signing), they have been building up the franchise through recent drafts as well. Recent draft picks that are contributing now-

Rick Porcello
    Charlie Furbush
    Alex Avila
    Brennan Boesch

as well as pitchers Jacob Turner and Andy Oliver showing alot of promise in the minors.

Alot of the above names most people may not know, but they are some good homegrown ball players. Now if we can just find a third baseman to replace Inge :?

Yeah...they just have a reputation for being cheap when it comes to the draft. Those guys are all contributors, but none (with the possible exception of Porcello) are going to be stars. Now Verlander...that's a different story.
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Boesch definately is a free swinger. But what i like about him this season is that hes taking more pitches. Dudes got power.

It can only help him to be around hitters like Cabrera and Martinez.
  • pjl44 wrote:

Rick Porcello
    Charlie Furbush
    Alex Avila
    Brennan Boesch

Yeah...they just have a reputation for being cheap when it comes to the draft. Those guys are all contributors, but none (with the possible exception of Porcello) are going to be stars. Now Verlander...that's a different story.
    They did pay the price to draft Porcello.

I tell though, watching Avila everyday is making me a believer in him. Wont be a Mauer or McCann, but could be just underneath them.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    Boesch definately is a free swinger. But what i like about him this season is that hes taking more pitches. Dudes got power.

It can only help him to be around hitters like Cabrera and Martinez.

I love watching cabrera.

I'm also a big fan of Towson University grad Casper Wells :thumbup:

Very true, very true. Gotta love their chances to take the division this year. If the White Sox can't pull it together, I'd say they're a mortal lock.
  • pjl44 wrote:

Very true, very true. Gotta love their chances to take the division this year. If the White Sox can't pull it together, I'd say they're a mortal lock.
    I thought this at the beginning of the seasonand think it even more now. Its going to come down to the Tigers or White Sox.

I didnt believe in Clevelands fast start for a minute.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    Moneyball trailer. I dont think it looks that terrible.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... e-trailer/
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    ...the phillies are pretty good.
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    Late to the DH debate.

I just think it's a matter of principle that everybody has to play offense & defense. It's not like football where 11 guys run off the field and 11 different guys run onto the field. What's to stop teams from having a DH for the shortstop, catcher, etc.? Just have 9 guys who hit and 9 guys who field, right?

It's funny how it's only fans of AL teams that defend the DH. Only because they have highly paid aging stars that would be completely useless without that made up position.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    glad I picked up James Sheild on the waiver wire in April, he's having a great year. Was he really subpar last year? Perhaps that is why he wasn't drafted

Verlander is looking like the Cy Young candidate this year
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    glad I picked up James Sheild on the waiver wire in April, he's having a great year. Was he really subpar last year? Perhaps that is why he wasn't drafted

Verlander is looking like the Cy Young candidate this year

i lost interest in my team about 6 weeks ago. think i'm still in 2nd place though. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    80 years old.... :shock:
    www.myspace.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

well it is florida...maybe they hired him to attract new, yet dying soon, fans :think: :problem:
    norm wrote:

well it is florida...maybe they hired him to attract new, yet dying soon, fans :think: :problem:

they need all the fans they can get down there
    www.myspace.com

That can't end well.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    norm wrote:

they couldn't attract fans if hooters girls in bikini were the cheerleaders. i hope having their own stadium will help out.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    norm wrote:
    they couldn't attract fans if hooters girls in bikini were the cheerleaders. i hope having their own stadium will help out.

those are some quality cheerleaders down there
    www.myspace.com

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/fla/imag ... rmaids.jpg

metsfan wrote:

god bless america.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,970
    metsfan wrote:

god bless america.

Where I'm from they're called strippers.

we're from the same place
    www.myspace.com
    god bless america.

Alright then...
    lol

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626

Alright then...
    :lol: You guys are too much.

Since when does baseball have cheerleaders?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925

Alright then...
    :lol: You guys are too much.

Since when does baseball have cheerleaders?

Dude, I've been to a game there before and seen these broads. I'm convinced they're strippers and no one can tell me otherwise. It's glorious. Only thing better is the Hooters ball girls at Phils spring training games.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Cheerleading is a huge part of the Dominican Winter Leagues. This is from the team I saw in January http://www.escogido.com/app/chearleaders.aspx. They get up on the Dugout every 2-3 innings and do some choreographed dance while the players watch from below - outrageous.