Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    igotid88 said:
    Manny at 35 is going to be an average starting 3B, imo.  His fielding likely keeps him there
    Xander the same at SS.
    I think Judge is still baller in 5 years.
    Maybe. Not that many players of Judge's size and weight to compare to. He'll have the power to hit homeruns. I don't know if he'll be an elite centerfielder at 35?.
    Won't need to be.  He can DH and produce huge offensive numbers, sell gear, and make the Yankees money. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Dude is an absolute tool bag 

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458
    Dude is an absolute tool bag 

thanks for posting that, cliffy….it confirms what I already thought about him.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Yeah he should make less (considerably less) than Judge and Harper is better also.
    I'm nit a Manny fan but the 11 years made me laugh

HArper is better than Machado?  

Put the pipe down...
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Really like the fast pace so far but the relaxed chill pace that was unique to baseball is gone. The game will go from no true clock to double the clocks of any other team sport per play and a detailed set of regulations players will will need to track every play. The game needs to be shortened but this is a lot.
  • Options
    Manny at 35 is going to be an average starting 3B, imo.  His fielding likely keeps him there
    Xander the same at SS.
    I think Judge is still baller in 5 years.
    unfortunately, I think machado is gonna age better than judge.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Really like the fast pace so far but the relaxed chill pace that was unique to baseball is gone. The game will go from no true clock to double the clocks of any other team sport per play and a detailed set of regulations players will will need to track every play. The game needs to be shortened but this is a lot.
    Rewind 25 years ago and things were sped up.  Players weren't stepping out every pitch, pitchers weren't "clearing the mechanism" after every pitch.

The clocks are her to stay for a while but it should make for a better game, hopefully.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    Rewind 25 years ago and things were sped up.  Players weren't stepping out every pitch, pitchers weren't "clearing the mechanism" after every pitch.

The clocks are her to stay for a while but it should make for a better game, hopefully.
    Yeah when we were kids games were usually 2 and a half to 2 hours 45 minutes on average. That's ideal.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited February 2023
    Yeah he should make less (considerably less) than Judge and Harper is better also.

Put the pipe down...
    We can disagree but I don't see how this is a "put the pipe down"  position (I don't smoke drugs)

One guy is a 2 time MVP.  Was MVP in the h2h NLCS between the two players' teams last fall.  Has a consistently higher walk/on base percentage.
    Their career batting stats are pretty similar for power and average. 
    The other guy is a far superior defender, historically.   (2x Golden Glover).  

I'd take Harper on my team every day of the week over Manny.  Positional scarcity could have people lean toward Manny, but I'd argue that is offset by the aging of Manny and that he is a 🤡.   :lol:   

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,777
    I mean to be fair most baseball players are clowns and are big dumb dumbs with terrible politics. If the Phils didn't make that run they're an incredibly unlikable team.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114

It’s one thing for the pace to occur naturally decades ago versus having two clocks per play and enhanced pitching  regulations where managers will be unable to replay challenge  who is to blame for violations are different topics.
  • Options

Yeah when we were kids games were usually 2 and a half to 2 hours 45 minutes on average. That's ideal.

when I was a kid, they were closer to two. :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

Put the pipe down...
    We can disagree but I don't see how this is a "put the pipe down"  position (I don't smoke drugs)

One guy is a 2 time MVP.  Was MVP in the h2h NLCS between the two players' teams last fall.  Has a consistently higher walk/on base percentage.
    Their career batting stats are pretty similar for power and average. 
    The other guy is a far superior defender, historically.   (2x Golden Glover).  

I'd take Harper on my team every day of the week over Manny.  Positional scarcity could have people lean toward Manny, but I'd argue that is offset by the aging of Manny and that he is a 🤡.   :lol:   

Aging of Machado?  He's a tough competitor which I like and good for your team, bad if he's your opponent.

Dude doesn't get hurt and has been getting better.  Harper, while good, seems accident prone to me.

Better fielder obviously.  
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

This is why Soccer is so popular.  You got 2 hours.  Set your clock.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    Wobbie said:

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

This is why Soccer is so popular.  You got 2 hours.  Set your clock.
    I hate not knowing how much time is left though. But it is nice that all the games are about the same length. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Clocks in baseball? Fuck that

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,958
    Hi! said:
    Clocks in baseball? Fuck that
    It's weird....but I think it will be great to keep the game moving. Enlarging the bases is also weird....and making all infielders stay in the infield....to me that is the most bizarre rule
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Im open to some replay and maybe limiting pickoff throws, but that’s it. A larger base pad is definitely weird. I don’t like shifts, clocks, or ghost-runners. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    I'm curious how the clock will effect pitchers. Less rest between pitches, etc.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,777
    IMO if anything the pitch clock is an advantage to the pitcher.
  • Options
    I'm wondering how many times the timekeeper will fuck up and not use 20 seconds instead of 15 when runners are on base

• Options
    IMO if anything the pitch clock is an advantage to the pitcher.
    It is, he controls the tempo of the game now.  Scherzer or Verlander are a fan of it.  The advantage is theirs now.
  • Options
    They seem like they were always quick to pitch, especially  Sherzer, so putting the clock on the batter  definitely is advantageous to their flow.

• Options
    Fewer instances of pitcher waiving off catcher's pitch request....odd

• Options
    edited February 2023
    They’re gonna have to have a really solid game plan on how they wanna pitch to batters now. They know they are gonna be on the clock, so pitchers and catchers gonna have to really be on the same page with a lot of  the “what ifs”. Not that they don’t do that already but it seems even more so now. Obviously less time to decide how you wanna attack the batter. 
    Post edited by Hi! on

• Options
    I used to go to baseball games to get away from clocks. 

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Hi! said:
    They’re gonna have to have a really solid game plan on how they wanna pitch to batters now. They know they are gonna be on the clock, so pitchers and catchers gonna have to really be on the same page with a lot of  the “what ifs”. Not that they don’t do that already but it seems even more so now. Obviously less time to decide how you wanna attack the batter. 
    Yeah, but baseball has been around since the 1800's. Never before the last 10-15 some years did games routinely take over 3 hours to play. If pitchers and catchers were able to get on the same page in under 15 or 20 seconds for decades and decades and decades, I am sure today's players can figure it out. Granted it's an adjustment with the clock but I think the feedback in the minors was mostly positive. And I think you will see a lot less time infractions during the season as guys get used to it...hopefully. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Hi! said:
    Yeah, but baseball has been around since the 1800's. Never before the last 10-15 some years did games routinely take over 3 hours to play. If pitchers and catchers were able to get on the same page in under 15 or 20 seconds for decades and decades and decades, I am sure today's players can figure it out. Granted it's an adjustment with the clock but I think the feedback in the minors was mostly positive. And I think you will see a lot less time infractions during the season as guys get used to it...hopefully. 

Yeah, I’m sure I’ll be watching here and there. It’s unfortunate to have to do this to save, on average, 20 minutes a game. Seems they could cut into some of the in between inning and/or 7th inning stretch shenanigans to save 20 minutes. But that would take away commercial time, I’m sure.
    Post edited by Hi! on

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

Yeah, I’m sure I’ll be watching here and there. It’s unfortunate to have to do this to save, on average, 20 minutes a game. Seems they could cut into some of the in between inning and/or 7th inning stretch shenanigans to save 20 minutes. But that would take away commercial time, I’m sure.
    It's as much about the pace of play as opposed to overall time. Go on youtube and pick out any random game from the 80's and use your own clock. I did that recently with a Phils/Pirates game from 1989. Legendary left hander Bruce Ruffin was starting his windup in maybe 5-6 seconds on average. I find that kind of game much more enjoyable than watching batters fiddling with their gloves and stepping out of the box between every pitch. 

I guess an ancillary benefit of having games be over around 9:30 as opposed to 10 is more kids get to see full games before having to go to bed. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg