Options

**********2018 DALLAS COWBOYS**********

Comments

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    Flagg wrote:
    I guess it is one game to early for mid-season report cards but I don't think they are going to do anything next week to change my mind.

QB Tony Romo - Incomplete. Romo was being typical Romo before the injury - good enough to win games when your team is good, not good enough to carry a team. When the Cowboys OL sucks, Romo sucks. When the WRs drop balls, Romo sucks. And then Romo has a few suck moments on his own. But he is also brilliant at times and as you can see now, the Cowboys have clearly quit when he is not on the field. He might actually be OK with that shoulder injury.

Backs - C. This three headed monster no longer works, if it ever did. Not sure that is the players' fault though. Barber is who he is, and what is up with Felix Jones? He packed on weight in the off-season and it seems to have really slowed him down. Can Choice not get into the game?? Anyway, they are ineffective because they are always behind.

Receivers - C. This would have been higher, but they left Kitna out to dry yesterday. Bryant is a player. He has been the lone bright spot this season. Roy Williams decided to show up and play this year, but no one else did. Austin has come back to Earth. Witten looks like he may be on the decline.

Offensive Line - F. Clearly the weakest part of this team, their complete inability to protect the passer and open up holes is appalling. When you don't even come out of your stance and allow people to come in untouched, I don't even know what to say to that! This group is old and will not get better as the year goes on. Anyone miss Flozell yet?

Defensive Line - D. They show up early and quit late. Case in point - Chicago. They (along with the linebackers) knocked Cutler all around the field in the first half and then never touched him after that. Ratliff has made no impact. Spears has made no impact. They give up rushing yards like Halloween candy.

Linebackers - F. Here is the crux of the defensive problems. Outside of Demarcus Ware, this is a group of over matched, under talented placeholders. I want someone to explain to me what Brady James and Keith Brooking bring to the table. If you removed them from the team, would it matter? Would anyone notice? They can't stop the run and they can't cover. Ouch. Ware is the only guy in this group that can play but he can't do it all. Miserable excuse for a defensive unit.

Secondary - D. Injuries have hurt here. Mike Jenkins can be an impact player, but he has to cut down on the penalties. He has a swagger that benefits him and he is the only guy back that that can make plays on the ball. Newman is past his prime and is now injured, again. The safeties are ineffective. Ball shouldn't even be out there. Sensabaugh is OK I guess. Ugh, what a pathetic lineup.

Special Team - F. Do I even need to say anything here?

Coaching - F. Ditto.

Only wholesale changes will help this organization. Whether or not Jerry lets that happen remains to be seen. They need a coach who is allowed to hire his own staff, draft his own players, and make game-day roster decisions on his own. Jerry needs to sit back and cater his parties and entertain his guests and leave everyone alone. I don't want to believe that we have to wait until Stephen Jones takes over to see real change but I guess it is starting to look that way.

Their window was 2007-2009. The loss to the Giants in the 2007 playoffs may have been the defining moment for this core group. They won't be going anywhere near a title with this group of players and coaches.

couldn't have said it any better
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,479
    metsfan wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    I guess it is one game to early for mid-season report cards but I don't think they are going to do anything next week to change my mind.

QB Tony Romo - Incomplete. Romo was being typical Romo before the injury - good enough to win games when your team is good, not good enough to carry a team. When the Cowboys OL sucks, Romo sucks. When the WRs drop balls, Romo sucks. And then Romo has a few suck moments on his own. But he is also brilliant at times and as you can see now, the Cowboys have clearly quit when he is not on the field. He might actually be OK with that shoulder injury.

Backs - C. This three headed monster no longer works, if it ever did. Not sure that is the players' fault though. Barber is who he is, and what is up with Felix Jones? He packed on weight in the off-season and it seems to have really slowed him down. Can Choice not get into the game?? Anyway, they are ineffective because they are always behind.

Receivers - C. This would have been higher, but they left Kitna out to dry yesterday. Bryant is a player. He has been the lone bright spot this season. Roy Williams decided to show up and play this year, but no one else did. Austin has come back to Earth. Witten looks like he may be on the decline.

Offensive Line - F. Clearly the weakest part of this team, their complete inability to protect the passer and open up holes is appalling. When you don't even come out of your stance and allow people to come in untouched, I don't even know what to say to that! This group is old and will not get better as the year goes on. Anyone miss Flozell yet?

Defensive Line - D. They show up early and quit late. Case in point - Chicago. They (along with the linebackers) knocked Cutler all around the field in the first half and then never touched him after that. Ratliff has made no impact. Spears has made no impact. They give up rushing yards like Halloween candy.

Linebackers - F. Here is the crux of the defensive problems. Outside of Demarcus Ware, this is a group of over matched, under talented placeholders. I want someone to explain to me what Brady James and Keith Brooking bring to the table. If you removed them from the team, would it matter? Would anyone notice? They can't stop the run and they can't cover. Ouch. Ware is the only guy in this group that can play but he can't do it all. Miserable excuse for a defensive unit.

Secondary - D. Injuries have hurt here. Mike Jenkins can be an impact player, but he has to cut down on the penalties. He has a swagger that benefits him and he is the only guy back that that can make plays on the ball. Newman is past his prime and is now injured, again. The safeties are ineffective. Ball shouldn't even be out there. Sensabaugh is OK I guess. Ugh, what a pathetic lineup.

Coaching - F. Ditto.

Only wholesale changes will help this organization. Whether or not Jerry lets that happen remains to be seen. They need a coach who is allowed to hire his own staff, draft his own players, and make game-day roster decisions on his own. Jerry needs to sit back and cater his parties and entertain his guests and leave everyone alone. I don't want to believe that we have to wait until Stephen Jones takes over to see real change but I guess it is starting to look that way.

Their window was 2007-2009. The loss to the Giants in the 2007 playoffs may have been the defining moment for this core group. They won't be going anywhere near a title with this group of players and coaches.

couldn't have said it any better

the man knows his football.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Flagg wrote:

Coaching - F. Ditto.

How would you go about fixing this team? Jerry will likely still be in charge of the draft and does not have the best track record.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Coaching - F. Ditto.

How would you go about fixing this team? Jerry will likely still be in charge of the draft and does not have the best track record.

not to pile on but its not like the cowboys are a young team anymore either. you guys have a lot of players on both sides of the football over 30 years old now (or will be soon)...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cowboys have 10 players that are 30 or older
    cowboys have 23 players that are 25-30

that's hardly enough to be considered a veteran team or change is needed

• Options
    metsfan wrote:

true.

just saying 4 members of your offensive lineman will be 33 by some point next season. terrance newman is going to be 33. romo is going to be 31. jay ratliff will be 30 next year. every year the cowboys are sort of perceived to be a team on the rise. a lot of key players have already risen right through their primes with not a lot to show for it...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

true.

just saying 4 members of your offensive lineman will be 33 by some point next season. terrance newman is going to be 33. romo is going to be 31. jay ratliff will be 30 next year. every year the cowboys are sort of perceived to be a team on the rise. a lot of key players have already risen right through their primes with not a lot to show for it...
    newman has been decent and well romo is overrated and i think it's time for a change at qb. to bad he's got alota money coming his way

• Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    How would I fix it? Well, I don't think that could be done quickly.

But first, I break up the three-headed RB thing. Barber, Choice, or Jones has to go. Trade one of them.

Starting next year they have to have to draft for the OL. They are by far the weakest link on the offense and will not get better. Older people do not get better generally and this is an aging, injury riddled group. Kosier, Columbo, Gurode, and Davis will not get better over time.

The rest of the offense is fine. I am OK with Romo and the other skill players and anyone who thinks they don't have talent isn't watching. Whether or not they have heart is another thing. Need to get a backup who isn't 137 years old though.

On the defense, I would dump the 3-4 and go back to straight 4-3. Get rid of these linebackers. Worst linebacking corps in the league. Put Ware back on the defensive line. I think you can get away with weakness at safety if you get pressure up front consistently. They aren't doing that. Corner is OK. Newman should be released or traded, but you could do a lot worse than Jenkins and some guy at the other corner.

I would get a real kicker.

Lastly, I fire Wade and bring in someone to turn this around and give him complete command of the coaching staff and starter decisions. But then I am not Jerry so this won't happen. I know he brought in Parcells but no way he enjoyed being on the back burner like that.

The following have to go:
    Bradie James
    Keith Brooking
    Alan Ball
    Victor Butler
    Igor Olshansky
    Terrence Newman
    Most of the OL
    Choice, Barber or Jones
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

true.

To many 30 something football players are not a good thing. I think this team was built to win the year Parcell's left. I would have liked to see how things would have turned out with him in charge. I just think Jones bringing in Owens was the beginning of the end of the Parcell's era in Dallas.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    Flagg wrote:

But first, I break up the three-headed RB thing. Barber, Choice, or Jones has to go. Trade one of them.

Starting next year they have to have to draft for the OL. They are by far the weakest link on the offense and will not get better. Older people do not get better generally and this is an aging, injury riddled group. Kosier, Columbo, Gurode, and Davis will not get better over time.

The rest of the offense is fine. I am OK with Romo and the other skill players and anyone who thinks they don't have talent isn't watching. Whether or not they have heart is another thing. Need to get a backup who isn't 137 years old though.

On the defense, I would dump the 3-4 and go back to straight 4-3. Get rid of these linebackers. Worst linebacking corps in the league. Put Ware back on the defensive line. I think you can get away with weakness at safety if you get pressure up front consistently. They aren't doing that. Corner is OK. Newman should be released or traded, but you could do a lot worse than Jenkins and some guy at the other corner.

Lastly, I fire Wade and bring in someone to turn this around and give him complete command of the coaching staff and starter decisions. But then I am not Jerry so this won't happen. I know he brought in Parcells but no way he enjoyed being on the back burner like that.

Bradie James
    Keith Brooking
    Alan Ball
    Victor Butler
    Igor Olshansky
    Terrence Newman
    Most of the OL
    Choice, Barber or Jones

The sad part of your list is with proper drafting over the last 3 years those players and then some could have been replaced. I think with this draft they need to draft an OL in first round, safety in the second and OL in 3rd round, replace Kosier for sure this year. I agree they have a lot of work to do. I like the switch back to the 4-3, I remember Bill Cowher saying one time that you need 2 really good linebackers and 4 above average linebackers to make the 3-4 really effective. We have one really good one (Ware), one good one (Spencer), the rest are average or below average. If we switch, Zimmer would be a good candidate for head coach job, unless Jones manages to get Cowher or Gruden, doubtful in both cases.

• Options
    Yeah, the drafts have been brutal lately. 2008 was pretty good but they basically took a pass in 2009.

2009 Draft:
    Jason Williams
    Robert Brewster
    Stephen McGee
    Victor Butler
    Brandon Williams
    DeAngelo Smith
    Mike Hamlin
    David Buehler
    Stephen Hodge
    John Phillips
    Mike Mickens
    Manuel Johnson

OUCH!!

2006 was bad as well and 2007 wasn't much better.

You just can't keep missing on the draft like that.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Flagg wrote:
    Yeah, the drafts have been brutal lately. 2008 was pretty good but they basically took a pass in 2009.

2009 Draft:
    Jason Williams
    Robert Brewster
    Stephen McGee
    Victor Butler
    Brandon Williams
    DeAngelo Smith
    Mike Hamlin
    David Buehler
    Stephen Hodge
    John Phillips
    Mike Mickens
    Manuel Johnson

OUCH!!

2006 was bad as well and 2007 wasn't much better.

You just can't keep missing on the draft like that.
    The Jones family needs to step up and admit that they are NOT draft/talent evaluators of the Bill Walsh/Bill Polian level.....they draft more like Matt Millen. The Cowboys need a GM/President, not named Jones, who has a vision and a plan....and a nose for talent. When a team needs serious help on the O-line, you don't add another wide receiver. My years of serious research into football tells me that six good wide receivers don't do you much good when the quarterback is laying on his back three seconds after the snap of the ball.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

Bradie James
    Keith Brooking
    Alan Ball
    Victor Butler
    Igor Olshansky
    Terrence Newman
    Most of the OL
    Choice, Barber or Jones

agreed

i'd get rid of felix jones. to me he's nothing but a leon washington. i think jerry would def bring a coach like gruden or a fox. he knows how much of a joke his franchise is and is probably pissed off at knowing the face that either new york teams could be playing in his playland come february.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,255
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

Yay Dallas!!!

I heard about this on the Ticket the other day. Wow.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Cutie
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    This is just phenomenal.

:thumbup: :wave: :clap:
  • Options
    Sucks to be a Dallas fan thats for sure. ;)
  • Options
    so do you think you're gonna give '89 a run for it's money? :lol:

nah, i see 2 more wins at least..... :lol::lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    will the cowboys have a new coach tomorrow?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I say they don't let him on the plane after the game.
  • Options
    so do you think you're gonna give '89 a run for it's money? :lol:

nah, i see 2 more wins at least..... :lol::lol:

Who do you see us beating? Even the lions look better :D, I say 1 more win, but I can't say who'll it come against. Next weeks game will be real ugly I suspect.

• Options

I don't see the point now, however, Paul Pasqualon the D Line coach would make the most sense, just for the fact he's a disciplinarian.

• Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    How bout them Cowboys? HA!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    We are in line for one hell of a draft pick ;) Provided that we don't fuck that up as well, LOL

Sorry, that's about all the time I can afford to waste on the Cowboys this week. They don't seem to care so why should we?
  • Options
    crazypjfan wrote:
    We are in line for one hell of a draft pick ;) Provided that we don't fuck that up as well, LOL

Sorry, that's about all the time I can afford to waste on the Cowboys this week. They don't seem to care so why should we?

it's your thread. you should stick around :lol:

j jones meeting with coaching staff today...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,744
    Ok, folks, any way these scrubs show up against the G-Men? I need to pick a team for my survivor pool, and NYG seems like the clear choice this week. Big money riding on this... :D

Watching that game last night I was embarrased to hate the Cowboys. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i am def. going to the superbowl this year regardless of wheter the jets make it or not
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg