Getting Old...

Comments

• chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Amen to all this.

And there are young people with crusty hearts AND brains abounding...passion is not relegated to the young. Either you got it or you don't, it doesn't get lost with time.

As far as I'm personally concerned, I keep ramping up :)

And Dream, I love those lyrics and that song
    :)

yea....all pretty amazing.
    and seriously, BD and i were chatting, and he rightly pointed out - you think you're going to meet anyone on this board who thinks old?! :wtf: i think not. anyone who has the pasion to love pj, well.....can't be too "old"....hell, most of the band is older than i am - thank bejeebus ;) - and not a one of em is even approaching "old". it's a mindset, not an absolute.
    I think I am going to try some language the kids might understand...

Word, that's dope...
    You're so funky fresh BD :mrgreen:
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Amen to all this.

And there are young people with crusty hearts AND brains abounding...passion is not relegated to the young. Either you got it or you don't, it doesn't get lost with time.

As far as I'm personally concerned, I keep ramping up :)

And Dream, I love those lyrics and that song
    :)

yea....all pretty amazing.
    and seriously, BD and i were chatting, and he rightly pointed out - you think you're going to meet anyone on this board who thinks old?! :wtf: i think not. anyone who has the pasion to love pj, well.....can't be too "old"....hell, most of the band is older than i am - thank bejeebus ;) - and not a one of em is even approaching "old". it's a mindset, not an absolute.
    I think I am going to try some language the kids might understand...

Word, that's dope...

Oy! Nothing worse then an old Nebish trying to sound hip!
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    [

What's this? Ol' BD broke his hip?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    [

You didn't give the waitress a tip, huh??
    eyedclaar wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    [

Eh, you know I'm much too old to be trying weightless flips.

eyedclaar wrote:
    I already TOLD you I didn't pick up the strawberry wafers from Skip's. Grrr!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    What's this? Ol' BD broke his hip?[/quote]
    You didn't give the waitress a tip, huh??[/quote]

Eh, you know I'm much too old to be trying weightless flips.[/quote]

No thanks, I try to avoid salty dips....maybe a little lemon juice is better on my melba toast!
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Theovl316 wrote:
    Great attitude Claireack! Keep it up!!
    She can't hear you... Her batteries ran out about an hour ago...

Eh???
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

No thanks, I try to avoid salty dips....maybe a little lemon juice is better on my melba toast!

huh? did you say something about jews?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    eyedclaar wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

Quick pass me the Depends :oops:
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,780
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    Well at least it your wife won't have to use the tumble dryer so much any more, just tie the washing to your arms and away you go.

That might work. She can't chain me to the tree in the backyard anymore... after a few seconds I have totally wrapped it around my legs, fallen over, and started choking myself.
    why did she stop that?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,780
    imalive wrote:
    mikalina wrote:
    I'm embarassed to say this - but all the years of listening to "LOUD" music - I think I have trouble hearing too :lol:

huh???

seriously, i KNOW i do. :|
    i've had my hearing tested not that long ago. granted, i already KNEW this...b/c i am always asking people "wha, wha, what?"...... :oops: :roll: :lol: so yes, hearing is not the best. :? looking forward to more damage 2x at MSG. :mrgreen:
    imalive wrote:
    mikalina wrote:
    I'm embarassed to say this - but all the years of listening to "LOUD" music - I think I have trouble hearing too :lol:

huh???

seriously, i KNOW i do. :|
    i've had my hearing tested not that long ago. granted, i already KNEW this...b/c i am always asking people "wha, wha, what?"...... :oops: :roll: :lol: so yes, hearing is not the best. :? looking forward to more damage 2x at MSG. :mrgreen:

norm wrote:

i've read similar things, that the middle-aged brain ain't so bad. however, i have to say i resent this:

"But as it turns out, modern middle age is from 40 to 65."

so me and a 65 year old....both in middle age? :|
    yikes.
    :lol:
    and you're starting to repeat yourself!!! WHAT?!?!?!?!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    imalive wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    if the pee lines are to long at the venue....

depends.jpg

"Anything's Possible"

Oh crap this almost happened to me at a U2 concert as I ran around asking attendents deperate for a spot to pee at the stadium. After a desparate 10 minute search I found a short line and had the longest pee in my life....1 minute 5 seconds.

which is why I'm never w/o my depends! :lol:

p.s. you timed your pee??? :shock:

You damn right cause I couldn't believe how long it was lasting besides you don't know the stress I was under waiting in that damn line. At that moment, By the time I got to the urinal the relief was better than sex. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    g under p wrote:

You damn right cause I couldn't believe how long it was lasting besides you don't know the stress I was under waiting in that damn line. At that moment, By the time I got to the urinal the relief was better than sex. :D

Peace
    remember Frank Drebin in the Naked Gun? :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    in general, getting old is one thing that scares the hell out of me. older people, seem to grow up, lose their sense of fascination with the world, lose their idealism, lose their sense of adventure and excitement. Getting older to me means settling down, picket fence, getting married, having kids, living in some suburb. To me, I cant think of something I want less than that. its like people who get older, their hearts crust over, they cant feel.

Fuck that. Living more years just means you've been alive longer. You still are free to live your life however you want and keep an open mind. If that's getting old (your description), I don't think I'll ever really grow up. What makes people old is living in the past, instead of looking forward and being open to new things and ideas. I know 'old' people in their 20's and 'young' people in their 40's. Its as much a mindset as the number of years.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Got my new glasses on Saturday

Bi-focals (Well the blended no-line type but still)

Man, WTF.... :evil:

That exxxplains your avatar!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    imalive wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    remember Frank Drebin in the Naked Gun? :lol:

Yes it was something like that just more intense. :D
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Got my new glasses on Saturday

Bi-focals (Well the blended no-line type but still)

Man, WTF.... :evil:

hahahahaahhaaaaa! :lol:;)
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I missed this when I was gone to KC and just read through it now.
    Its a great thread, filled with funny replies, wisdom from some of the very best minds we have here. If you have time read through young and old. I think you'll like it
    All I have to say on the subject is
    Life is a wonderful journey, all of it. Its not getting old its living and that sure beats the alternative.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Have not seen this in a while...
    Thanks for the bump...

It's amazing how quickly your eyes adjust to bifocals... Although I can't wear them in bed to watch TV because I look out the bottom of my glasses :roll:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Just now catching up with AET after the KC and STL trip, which was great by the way.

Eyes: I've worn contacts for years to see distance. Then starting wearing just one so I could read out of my left eye (apparently contacts for distance interfere with close-up vision once it starts to go), and a few months ago it got to the point where I now where a contact for close-up/reading in my left eye, and the distance contact in my right eye. It is working pretty good so far.

Hearing: O.K. as far as I know.

Hair: A few grey hairs! That is the worst for me. Luckily my cosmetologist says I can highlight my hair which will disguise it for a few more years. I didn't realize that grey hairs were crazy hairs though. They stick out and curl. Don't know what to do about that.

Joints: O.K. I guess, but I have had one running injury after another the last few years.

Weight: Way bad. 15lbs over where I would like to be at this age.

Wrinkles: Going to be bad. I have been a sun lover/outdoors person my entire life. Waiting for the day when I wake up and my face looks like a baseball glove.

Fun quotient: Still love to have fun. As to the youngster who says it looks like old people don't have fun, it may be that youngsters expect old people to be no fun and never gives them the chance. It is amazing how differently one is treated as one ages, especially for women, I think. People look at me in amazement when I say I am going to see Pearl Jam, or do a triathlon, or use a chain saw to clear a mountain bike trail. They can't believe a woman of my age and wisdom (well, I guess that's debatable) does stuff like that. So just give us old geezers a chance!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    mikalina wrote:
    No one has mentioned "body aches " my knees hurt most of the winter, especially if the temps drop below 20 degrees. Now I'm really feeling "old" :lol:
    that's me...
    mr. body aches.
    i guess i participated in to much stupid shit when i was younger.
    old injuries come back to say hello.
    many of mine never left, i've always hurt.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Have not seen this in a while...
    Thanks for the bump...

It's amazing how quickly your eyes adjust to bifocals... Although I can't wear them in bed to watch TV because I look out the bottom of my glasses :roll:

It's not that you didn't see it, it's just that you plum forgot. I know how us old guys remember things... or don't, as the case actually is.

chadwick wrote:
    mikalina wrote:
    No one has mentioned "body aches " my knees hurt most of the winter, especially if the temps drop below 20 degrees. Now I'm really feeling "old" :lol:
    that's me...
    mr. body aches.

I hear that. Too many broken bones and other injuries growing up. Life is pain! :twisted:

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    chadwick wrote:
    mikalina wrote:
    that's me...
    mr. body aches.
    me too but on the bright side it seems my brain can only register one pain at a time, so it alternates but its always something.
    As far as wrinkles nothing more beautiful than sun kissed old eyes with laugh wrinkles, you see can see the young person there smiling back at you with so many beautiful stories to tell. Wrinkles are nothing to worry about "you will be no one's rival" is pretty much what you feel by the time you've earned them.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    ...is getting old.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    eyedclaar wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    mikalina wrote:
    that's me...
    mr. body aches.

I hear that. Too many broken bones and other injuries growing up. Life is pain! :twisted:
    life is pain
    agree

sometimes pain feels good.
    tattoos have been known to feel good
    but quite often hurt pretty good.

broken bones and bloody skulls?
    not so much good times.

dislocated skeletal hobbling?
    nicely done

could be worse...
    i could've had a shitty life
    but i've lived the lives of 15 men over.... go fuck yourself = to the world :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Just now catching up with AET after the KC and STL trip, which was great by the way.

Wrinkles: Going to be bad. I have been a sun lover/outdoors person my entire life. Waiting for the day when I wake up and my face looks like a baseball glove.

Bah! The wrinkles that are evidence of a well lived and appreciated life are awesome character references, imho.

I know I'm more inclined to instantly trust someone who wears years of happiness on their face. Of course, I suppose that could come back to bite me if I'm trusting some like eyedclaar, who probably earned those wrinkles laughing on top of sun drenched cliffs after pushing off one unsuspecting hiker after another. :?

I'm not sure if my latest thing is a sign of aging or just pure wussiness.

I injured my thumbs filing. Filing!!! :roll: My mom suggested that perhaps it's arthritis. :o
    I carried a watermelon
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    My left knee is messed up since last week. I can't remember doing a damn thing to mess it up.

At least I could put pressure on it today.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Has anyone ever had a chance yet to chase the neighbor kids off your front lawn with a garden hose yet? I'm kinda looking forward to that some day ....