Getting Old...

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    I feel old when I go to Wawa (local philly convenience store/deli) and the college age girl behind the counter tells me to have a good day SIR. I don't feel like a sir yet and sure as heck don't act like a sir.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    mikalina wrote:
    No one has mentioned "body aches " my knees hurt most of the winter, especially if the temps drop below 20 degrees. Now I'm really feeling "old" :lol:

I feel the pending weather changes in my slightly arthritic hands. Of course, I have broke both of my hands more than once... I used to play paddy-cake on the pro circuit.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I used to play paddy-cake on the pro circuit.

so humble...you were the Wayne Gretzky of professional paddy-cake
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I'm embarassed to say this - but all the years of listening to "LOUD" music - I think I have trouble hearing too :lol:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    mikalina wrote:
    I'm embarassed to say this - but all the years of listening to "LOUD" music - I think I have trouble hearing too :lol:

huh???
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    norm wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I used to play paddy-cake on the pro circuit.

so humble...you were the Wayne Gretzky of professional paddy-cake

The fans never did realize just how painful it was to hold a pen and sign autographs after four quarters of maniacal hand slapping. People, always wanting more...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    edited May 2010
    imalive wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

huh???

seriously, i KNOW i do. :|
    i've had my hearing tested not that long ago. granted, i already KNEW this...b/c i am always asking people "wha, wha, what?"...... :oops: :roll: :lol: so yes, hearing is not the best. :? looking forward to more damage 2x at MSG. :mrgreen:
    imalive wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

huh???

i've had my hearing tested not that long ago. granted, i already KNEW this...b/c i am always asking people "wha, wha, what?"...... :oops: :roll: :lol: so yes, hearing is not the best. :? looking forward to more damage 2x at MSG. :mrgreen:

norm wrote:

i've read similar things, that the middle-aged brain ain't so bad. however, i have to say i resent this:

"But as it turns out, modern middle age is from 40 to 65."

so me and a 65 year old....both in middle age? :|
    yikes.
    :lol:
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    imalive wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

huh???

I can't wait for this conversation...

What... WHAT??? Why is their a train coming through the bar??
    GoiMTvP.gif
    imalive wrote:
    huh???

I can't wait for this conversation...

What... WHAT??? Why is their a train coming through the bar??

2005 tour - hit up the gorge, vancouver, calgary and edmonton. thanks to sharing tix with a fellow 10clubber with a better # and traveling, had pretty damn fine seats. needless to say by calgary i was partially deaf. :? honestly, i was a bit scared, my ears were ringing so bad all the time. not funny. i swore i would use earplugs from then on. i must admit tho, i still don't. :oops: i try, and i just can't get myself to stick with em.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

huh???

imalive wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

huh???

can't hear and you've developed a stutter :p:lol::mrgreen:
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    in general, getting old is one thing that scares the hell out of me. older people, seem to grow up, lose their sense of fascination with the world, lose their idealism, lose their sense of adventure and excitement. Getting older to me means settling down, picket fence, getting married, having kids, living in some suburb. To me, I cant think of something I want less than that. its like people who get older, their hearts crust over, they cant feel.

I just had a conversation with my mom the other day. i was explaining my desire to live my life to the fullest, to take risks, my sense of youthful rebellion and exhileration. It was like i was talking in latin. She wouldnt conceed anything and didnt or couldnt understand my wanting to live before i died.

I dont want to get old.
    in general, getting old is one thing that scares the hell out of me. older people, seem to grow up, lose their sense of fascination with the world, lose their idealism, lose their sense of adventure and excitement. Getting older to me means settling down, picket fence, getting married, having kids, living in some suburb. To me, I cant think of something I want less than that. its like people who get older, their hearts crust over, they cant feel.

I just had a conversation with my mom the other day. i was explaining my desire to live my life to the fullest, to take risks, my sense of youthful rebellion and exhileration. It was like i was talking in latin. She wouldnt conceed anything and didnt or couldnt understand my wanting to live before i died.

I dont want to get old.
    Really?? Frankly just hitting my stride... Except that I need help with reading :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Just remember everyone that

"30" is the "NEW 20 " and "40 " is the "NEW 30 " the saying goes something like that.

So that means most of us are still in are 20's and 30's - Does that make any sense ? :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561

From an old lady with a crusty heart - life is what you want it to be, getting older doesn't mean you shrivel up and become glued to the sofa, you make of it what you can. Sure I don't like the fact that if I turn to run somewhere it takes a while for some of the looser areas of my body to catch up, but hey ho, that's life. No spring chicken, but I still have fun, do new things, am constantly amazed by the beauty of the world and am still able to feel love - surely that still makes life worth living even at my age?
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Claireack wrote:

From an old lady with a crusty heart - life is what you want it to be, getting older doesn't mean you shrivel up and become glued to the sofa, you make of it what you can. Sure I don't like the fact that if I turn to run somewhere it takes a while for some of the looser areas of my body to catch up, but hey ho, that's life. No spring chicken, but I still have fun, do new things, am constantly amazed by the beauty of the world and am still able to feel love - surely that still makes life worth living even at my age?

Great attitude Claireack! Keep it up!!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    Theovl316 wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

Great attitude Claireack! Keep it up!!
    She can't hear you... Her batteries ran out about an hour ago...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Claireack wrote:

you ALWAYS make me smile claire. truly. :D
    and seriously, reading that earlier post i just thought, wtf? apparently you've not met many "older" people. or just need to widen your circle. most people i know, my age and older...have an incredible passion for life, many even MORE SO than when they were younger. generally speaking...you appreciate what you have, and know what you want, more. sure, for some that might mean sitting on the sofa, for most i know tho...it's still doing ALL they did in their younger years, and even MORE.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

edited May 2010
    norm wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    huh???

imalive wrote:

huh???

can't hear and you've developed a stutter :p:lol::mrgreen:

i just noticed that....? wtf?! :wtf:
    apparently i am getting so old, i don't even know how to post properly. :?

Really?? Frankly just hitting my stride... Except that I need help with reading :lol:

:mrgreen:
    damn straight.
    people who are passionate at 20....are passionate at 70. this seems to be my experience.
    if you just fuck about and talk and do nothing in your youth....probably do the same in older years, tho thankfully, sometimes, people do find their way and get passionate later on. however, most who are in love with life and truly LIVE....do so at every age. my mother is 82, i can only hope to enjoy life and be as involved as she is when i - hopefully - reach that age. age IS just a number, it's not necessarily "growing old."
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

don't be hard on yourself. most likely, you forgot you had already replied.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

don't be hard on yourself. most likely, you forgot you had already replied.

:evil:

:mrgreen:
    smartass. or should i say, old coot. ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

only an old person would use the expression "old coot" :lol::lol:
    do you call kids "whippersnappers"?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

only an old person would use the expression "old coot" :lol::lol:
    do you call kids "whippersnappers"?

don't have em.
    kids or whippersnappers. ;)
    oh damn, nevermind....apparently reading comprehension goes out the window with age as well. :oops: hahaha. i am not representin' our age group well am i? :| tho, my fascination, passion and loust for life, well....i hold it up against the best of em. i lived a LOT in my first 25 years....and i am doing my damndest to do even more in the next!

and hey, i was merely utilizing the vernacular i thought you would identify with. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

and hey, i was merely utilizing the vernacular i thought you would identify with. :mrgreen:

for others, I prefer codger, geezer or fogey

for myself, sugar daddy :lol::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

for others, I prefer codger, geezer or fogey

for myself, sugar daddy :lol::lol:

oooooooooooooooooo....sweet!

chiqui kindly reminded me of some very fitting lyrics:

And the young, they can lose hope cause they can't see beyond today,...
    The wisdom that the old can't give away
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Claireack wrote:

Amen to all this.

And there are young people with crusty hearts AND brains abounding...passion is not relegated to the young. Either you got it or you don't, it doesn't get lost with time.

As far as I'm personally concerned, I keep ramping up :)

And Dream, I love those lyrics and that song :)
    Claireack wrote:

Amen to all this.

And there are young people with crusty hearts AND brains abounding...passion is not relegated to the young. Either you got it or you don't, it doesn't get lost with time.

And Dream, I love those lyrics and that song
    :)

yea....all pretty amazing.
    and seriously, BD and i were chatting, and he rightly pointed out - you think you're going to meet anyone on this board who thinks old?! :wtf: i think not. anyone who has the pasion to love pj, well.....can't be too "old"....hell, most of the band is older than i am - thank bejeebus ;) - and not a one of em is even approaching "old". it's a mindset, not an absolute.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    imalive wrote:
    if the pee lines are to long at the venue....

depends.jpg

"Anything's Possible"

Oh crap this almost happened to me at a U2 concert as I ran around asking attendents deperate for a spot to pee at the stadium. After a desparate 10 minute search I found a short line and had the longest pee in my life....1 minute 5 seconds. The guy behind was impressed as he expressed it with a *damn*, all I could say was you just don't know how close..... :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    if the pee lines are to long at the venue....

depends.jpg

"Anything's Possible"

Oh crap this almost happened to me at a U2 concert as I ran around asking attendents deperate for a spot to pee at the stadium. After a desparate 10 minute search I found a short line and had the longest pee in my life....1 minute 5 seconds.

which is why I'm never w/o my depends! :lol:

p.s. you timed your pee??? :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Amen to all this.

And Dream, I love those lyrics and that song
    :)

yea....all pretty amazing.
    and seriously, BD and i were chatting, and he rightly pointed out - you think you're going to meet anyone on this board who thinks old?! :wtf: i think not. anyone who has the pasion to love pj, well.....can't be too "old"....hell, most of the band is older than i am - thank bejeebus ;) - and not a one of em is even approaching "old". it's a mindset, not an absolute.
    I think I am going to try some language the kids might understand...

Word, that's dope...
    GoiMTvP.gif