Options

Dave Matthews Band vs. Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    Without a doubt PJ - I don't get the DMB love - to each his own but I don't think I willingly listened to a DMB song since Don't Drink the Water ("there's blood in the water :o ")
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    I love them both.
    Pearl Jam more but DMB isn't too far behind.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    PJ_kidd wrote:
    I love them both.
    Pearl Jam more but DMB isn't too far behind.

Yeah i agree i like DMB but Pearl Jam win. :D
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    lukin321 wrote:
    Mudfest wrote:
    DMB Live show 3 hours = 7 songs
    quote]

More like around 20 songs per show ;)

they just go on....and on...and on ...and on

;)

M
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    macgyver06 wrote:
    they would join forces

if that ever happened it'd be like ManBearPig or the most powerful superhero equivalent
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    IS THIS FUCKEN THREAD A FUCKEN JOKE!!!!!!!!!! DAVE MATTHEWS EATS MY SHIT. IT DOESN"T EVEN HOLD A FUCKEN CANDLE TO PEARL JAM.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    mjb wrote:
    Without a doubt PJ - I don't get the DMB love - to each his own but I don't think I willingly listened to a DMB song since Don't Drink the Water ("there's blood in the water :o ")

I'm not too far off from this either, but i saw their show at mgs a few weeks ago and am very interested in hearing the new album in a few weeks. i think its going to be pretty good.
  • Options
    like.echoeslike.echoes Posts: 582
    Oxxys wrote:
    IS THIS FUCKEN THREAD A FUCKEN JOKE!!!!!!!!!! DAVE MATTHEWS EATS MY SHIT. IT DOESN"T EVEN HOLD A FUCKEN CANDLE TO PEARL JAM.

:shock:

It's all personal taste, kid! ;)
    nothing's changed but the surrounding bullsh1t
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    This needs to be put to the test in an all day battle at Alpine, with both bands joining forces to close out the night. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    bustoutbustout Posts: 122
    DMB was super solid up until the Lillywhite sessions in 2000

Once they stopped working with Lillywhite, they made a huge change ... which a lot of fans from the beginning think for the worse

it's a different sound now than their first 3 albums ... which were awesome
    How Many Friends Have I Really Got?
  • Options
    bustout wrote:
    DMB was super solid up until the Lillywhite sessions in 2000

Once they stopped working with Lillywhite, they made a huge change ... which a lot of fans from the beginning think for the worse

it's a different sound now than their first 3 albums ... which were awesome

I agree, but playing live they are still among the best, even with the crappy "american baby" era stuff.
    Looking forward to the new album, hope it's a return to the earlier greatness.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Who wins?

Are you really Dave Matthews or do you just play one on the internet???

:D:D

:arrow: seriously...
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    TJS117TJS117 Posts: 4
    Fuck Dave. If I was a sophomore in high school that wanted to be popular, I might like Dave Matthews. Otherwise, he can go fuck himself. It sickens me to see so many Pearl Jam fans on here like Dave because I think that a lot of what makes Pearl Jam great is how different it is from a band like DMB. I think those of you that like both of these bands are the ones who just get baked at every concert and don't even listen to the fucking music. Fuck Dave Matthews.
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    Sorry but I have NEVER been a DMB fan. My hippie stoner roommate in college further cemented that by playing their music CONSTANTLY too. I'm not a jam band person either. To me it's like musical masterbation. Do that shit in the privacy of your own home, nobody needs to see you "get off" with your instrument! I just don't like a bunch of people on stage playing a bunch of random shit without structure. Solos (ala his highness McCready during Ledbetter) are good if they are restrained to a degree, but not flat out "jamming".
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,683
    I wont even read everyones comments....

SO STUPID TO PUT PEARL JAM vs ANY BAND ON A PEARL JAM MESSAGE BOARD...

dummy. :D
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    If we leave out the travesty that was the "Stand Up" record, Dave Matthews is awesome. Love the new song
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    Ed & Dave seem to like each other and have sounded great together on a few of those mega collaboration events. I used to really like DMB, but lost interest somewhere along the way. I didn't like the solo album, or the group album that came out around then, within a year or so. I read in the paper the otehr day (Maybe it was RS?) that the new album has somewhat of a darker aspect to it. I'll have to give it a listen, see if it can rekindle the ol' Jimi Thing...I'm very curious to hear how they sound without Le'Roi...and also want to very much hear the show they played the night he died...that had to be unbelievably tough and emotional, to say the least
  • Options
    TJS117 wrote:
    Fuck Dave. If I was a sophomore in high school that wanted to be popular, I might like Dave Matthews. Otherwise, he can go fuck himself. It sickens me to see so many Pearl Jam fans on here like Dave because I think that a lot of what makes Pearl Jam great is how different it is from a band like DMB. I think those of you that like both of these bands are the ones who just get baked at every concert and don't even listen to the fucking music. Fuck Dave Matthews.

Wow, so sorry to sicken you. I love them both and I am not a stoner. But, nice try with your assanine generalization. :roll:
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    This thread is stupid.

I only read the first page of this thread but I also know what to expect if I was to read further...(lots of ignorant PJ fans).

I like both bands. I am a bigger PJ fan, but am a big DMB fan as well.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    TJS117 wrote:

Wow, so sorry to sicken you. I love them both and I am not a stoner. But, nice try with your assanine generalization. :roll:

i like dave. his words are amazing. listening to stay or leave at radio city right now..should check it out.
    (and im not even high)

i think i like dave and tim better than the whole band..cant wait to finally see them live next tour
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Ed & Dave seem to like each other and have sounded great together on a few of those mega collaboration events. I used to really like DMB, but lost interest somewhere along the way. I didn't like the solo album, or the group album that came out around then, within a year or so. I read in the paper the otehr day (Maybe it was RS?) that the new album has somewhat of a darker aspect to it. I'll have to give it a listen, see if it can rekindle the ol' Jimi Thing...I'm very curious to hear how they sound without Le'Roi...and also want to very much hear the show they played the night he died...that had to be unbelievably tough and emotional, to say the least

I heard one of DMBs new singles on the radio. Was pretty good.
    Def. better than a lot of their newer stuff!

One thing I will say...
    While I'm a big DMB fan, I think their constant touring is in part to blame for their less than stellar albums of late.
    It seems like they lost focus a bit.
  • Options
    ...and also want to very much hear the show they played the night he died...that had to be unbelievably tough and emotional, to say the least

The boot is out there. I think I got it from dreamingtree. It's an amazingly intense show, still get chills listening to the opening song. You've got to get it.
  • Options
    Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    Pearl Jam has always been #1 in my life, since 2000 DMB has been #2 (I used to hate how all of my HS friends called him Dave, like they knew him)... at times DMB has crept up close to 1st (almost neck and neck), then PJ always seems to pull away again!

For instance earlier this year, then I started listening to PJ a lot (with the re-release of Ten), and Footsteps/YLB (w/Little Wing)/Baba reminded me why PJ is, and always will be #1 for me :D

That being said, I love both bands!
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    K, first off... what do expect your answer to be when you're asking this on a PJ message board?

Second...I'm indifferent to DMB... but I really dislike their stereotypical fan base. They annoy me more than any other group of fans I've ever seen. I went to see DMB once back in 2003 or something, a friend had to get rid of a ticket and couldn't so he ended up inviting me for free... I just stood there indifferent to the songs, the atmosphere and vibe... Again, what annoyed me was the crowd... not all of them but the great majority of them just looked and acted extremely annoying. The friend who gave me the ticket is no longer a DMB fan as of a few years ago or so.

I don't mean to offend... if you listen to DMB and enjoy them, good for you... I just hope you're listening to them because you like them and not because everyone else does... What sometimes gets me about DMB fans is they say things like... "Dave is so chill" etc... but listening to his lyrics, they're often very fucked up... he's creepy, really creepy... not that it bothers me, but his fans seem to be blind to the fact that his lyrics are not "chill", they are in fact morbid and perverse... Crash & Halloween are two songs that come to mind.

I'm not saying that I don't think they're talented, I think they're extremely talented, but their fanbase takes away a lot of the appeal... it's like sports... I'm a NY Giants fan, I'm not an Eagles fan but I think that they're talented... but their fanbase is terrible because they throw objects at visiting fans... maybe that's a bad analogy but you get my point...
  • Options
    I've heard many people say similar things about their fan base, actually. I've never been to a DMB show, going to my first one later this month, but listening to the live shows is what got me hooked. We'll see what the actual concert experience brings, I guess.

And yes, I agree, his lyrics are often totally fucked up and disturbing. He's written some really dark stuff. But I still really dig the vibe of the live tracks.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
    Being a fan of both, after seeing DMB w/ Tim Renyolds at the Gorge last year, its a tie. They are different kinds of bands. DMB is a tighter live band, but I will always identify more with Pearl Jam because they have little extra something. I don't know what it is, maybe its the emotion in everything they do. I don't know, but they have an X factor that puts them above everyone I've ever seen live.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,643
    I had never seen Dave Matthews perform live before the Pete Seeger B-day bash in early May.

His was the best performance of the evening hands down.

I would def. see him again, especially if he were playing the same fesitval as PJ. (San Fran here I come.)
  • Options
    thrakerthraker Posts: 61
    Ed would eat cereal from the bottom of their skulls.
    Mike would use their bone fragments for guitar picks.
    Stone would eat their livers with fava beans and a nice chianti.
    Matt would beat them with their own torn off limbs.
    Boom would fashion their femurs into bongs.
    Jeff would rape newly torn holes in their flesh ... laughing all the way.

During all of this mayhem The Dave Mathews Band will be making their best "music" ever.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420

I don't mean to offend... if you listen to DMB and enjoy them, good for you... I just hope you're listening to them because you like them and not because everyone else does... What sometimes gets me about DMB fans is they say things like... "Dave is so chill" etc... but listening to his lyrics, they're often very fucked up... he's creepy, really creepy... not that it bothers me, but his fans seem to be blind to the fact that his lyrics are not "chill", they are in fact morbid and perverse... Crash & Halloween are two songs that come to mind.

yea this is true. but i like dave for his words. i was started on him with dave and tim lutheran so i just thought he was a great acoustic act (which he is)
    it is "cool" to be a dave fan. and unfortunately people are turned off by that. and i get that

also unfortunate is that there are a lot of "eddie is so hot" dont even listen to anywords pj fans that i have met too..
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    dave mathews band is for girls.
    pearl jam is for girls and boys.

pearl jam wins.