Options

Dave Matthews Band vs. Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    I like them both but I would give the edge to DMB b/c the tour every year.
  • Options
    i wonder who would win if you asked the question on a dmb board. :rolleyes:
    "let's hug it out, bitch."

"and onward goes this thing of ours."
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    the same could be said about pj "pj hasn't put out a decent album since vitalogy"

ed has the better voice period,done,end

i do give respect to DMB though, both pj and DMB seem to be the most "jammy" mainstream rock bands that even alot of hippies like haha.

Like I said, both are tremendous bands...I just think PJ has been more "consistently good".
    I think a lot of fans who haven't heard PJ would say PJ hasn't been good since Vitalogy.
    I, a fan of both fans, own all PJ and all DMB discs and I can say without much doubt in my mind the overall quality of PJ has been consistently better for many years.

Honestly, I think one of the best things DMB could do is to kinda go their own ways for a while. Get away from the constant touring, go somewhere and get inspired...write the quality music they are capable of! I think their constant tours for the last 7 years cannot be good for their creativity...maybe that's just me.
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I actually saw DMB in Dallas this last Saturday night, and it was a good show, but DMB is no Pearl Jam...not even close. Before I went to the show that night I watched the new PJ DVD and it made it even more clear...nobody is as tight as PJ, nobody!

*also on a side note, I've come to realize that Dave Matthews is the Paul Simon of our generation...think about it, the connection to Africa, loves horns, tons of people on stage etc. :)
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Who wins?

dave is washed up. he hasnt had a good record in years and his bread and butter, live shows, have sucked balls recently.
  • Options
    Except Dave Matthews is a better singer, guitar player, and all-around better person than Edward Severson.

Dave Matthews Sucks, his band sucks, and so do you... Nuff said.
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Who wins?

ahah... cute username :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    pearl jam in my opinion, not even close.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Options
    dmb shows are boring imo. i could barely stay awake. i can listen to a few songs at home that's about it...so yeah pearl jam by 10,000 miles.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    This is like comparing the Grateful Dead to Led Zeppelin. Well maybe a bit extreme but still you get the point. DMB is more of a jam band playing to create a vibe. Pearl Jam is more of classic rock band.
    Both are awesome but of course my preference is Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    I've seen DMB twice and have seen hundreds of concerts over the years and those two are definately near the bottom. Like some of his albums, but for some reason his live shows don't agree with me - feel he is very overrated IMO.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    um, i like DMB

but i would take eddie burping on the mic with mike playing a banjo :cool:
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i wonder who would win if you asked the question on a dmb board. :rolleyes:

pearl jam
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    I like them both but I would give the edge to DMB b/c the tour every year.

One could argue that this has been a negative for DMB over the last few years.

Jw
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    Except Dave Matthews is a better singer, guitar player, and all-around better person than Edward Severson.
    Better person? I don't think Eddie's ever dumped 800 gallons of tour bus poop on riverboat tourists before.

But seriously, why is everything a fucking contest? And why are we humoring this Ghost?

BTW, I like both bands but DMB's last two albums have been pretty sub-par.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    They both win.

PJ - better studio albums...great punk rock songs...better front man

DMB - better drummer...better live in some ways..do an amazing job of changing songs from each tour
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,666

dave, your music is very sissy. i think you should make a lullaby album for infants. your band is great but i don't care because i don't want to hear anybody playing those songs. oh, and 75% of the people at your concerts suck. funny i'm saying this as tiki barber, because i know tiki is a big dmb fan. but i'm not really tiki, just a little secret in case you were wondering.
  • Options
    sundogg16 wrote:
    i can easily see eddie drop kicking dave... is that wrong?

You can argue the music, but Dave is 6 ft 3 and EV is a little skinny rat.
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    I like some DMB songs...but I've seen them at Bridge a couple a times, and it just felt like an endless set, and not in a good way...in fact, last year my friend was begging me to leave just because they were going on and on and on...
  • Options
    Dave Matthews on the ground in a bloody heap with a Doc Marten tread clearly visible on what is suspected to be his face.

and to the guy in Canada who thinks DMB is better live than PJ,lay of the cheese it's constipating your brain. :)
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot". Mark Twain

"I would rather die on my feet than to live on my knees."
    Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    Pearl Jam becuase they have an actual and true fan base and arent full of wussies.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,509
    STYX wins this, easily.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    dave mathews is so bad that it makes my head hurt. Better question backstreet boys vs. dave who wins...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,689
    That's any easy question. Dave. Blood is thicker than water.
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I would love a twin-bill concert with both bands........PJ on second of course!!!!! ;)
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    dave ;) not
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

unfortunately, he's an incredibly crapp songwriter, and stone gossard and mike can outplay dave one handed.

dmb does have a better percussion section though.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    have you seen the scar ed left on mike's head when he hit him with a guitar at the warfield? there's your answer.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,666
    You can argue the music, but Dave is 6 ft 3 and EV is a little skinny rat.

dave is 6ft3? haha. where did you get that information?
  • Options
    these are my two favorite bands

ive seen pearl jam 4 times, dmb 9 times. i really can't compare the two, except that stand up is the worst album out of their combined discographies.
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)