Dave Matthews Band vs. Pearl Jam

DaveMatthewsDaveMatthews Posts: 73
edited May 2009 in The Porch
Who wins?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    In terms of what? One can't appreciate both?
  • Options
    macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    they would join forces
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I don't know Dave. Why don't you tell us?
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Jwmcc wrote:
    In terms of what? One can't appreciate both?

No. One must win.
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    saw Dave in an AT&T commercial..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    i think jeff ament could kick some ass...but that guy boyd looks like he knows a martial art
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,005
    Who wins?

the fans..
    both bands give us lots of "official" bootlegs...

Hooray!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    macgyver06 wrote:
    i think jeff ament could kick some ass...but that guy boyd looks like he knows a martial art

He will also strangle you with his pubic hair.
  • Options
    i can easily see eddie drop kicking dave... is that wrong?
    If you don't run, you rust.

Honolulu 12/02/06 & 12/09/06
    Waikiki 04/21/07 & 04/22/06
  • Options
    2 bands I've traveled across the country to see...and always will...
    "Everytime I hear that melody, something breaks inside" -- T.W.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    locked wrote:
    the fans..
    both bands give us lots of "official" bootlegs...

Hooray!
    Agreed :)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    Wait, so who wins?
  • Options
    Sean Kinney could kick all there asses.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Options
    Wait, so who wins?

in a fight?

i think ament and the fiddle player from dmb would come out standing and start a new band all there own with dave a as the drummer

• Options
    Pearl Jam hands down!

They have a wider range of songs ie...punkish, rockers, folky, bluesy, ect...and all done extremely well.

You can go to a PJ concert and had moshed, sang along, head banged and cried (in the good way) before you left.

Next question?
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    ADogNamedPilateADogNamedPilate Texas, USA Posts: 291
    Pearl Jam no contest. I like Dave Matthews band a lot but I literally got into music and grew up listening to Pearl Jam.
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • Options
    Except Dave Matthews is a better singer, guitar player, and all-around better person than Edward Severson.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i was going to start a thread about dave, but i didnt know what everyone would think.

i dont think it is fair to compare the two in any aspect besides that they are two of the best live acts around. their music is nothing alike. i absolutely love dave, but there is nobody like pearl jam.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Except Dave Matthews is a better singer, guitar player, and all-around better person than Edward Severson.
    You know both of them pretty well, I take it?

There doesn't have to be a competition. Two great bands, the fans win.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    Edward Severson.

the third

• Options
    Except Dave Matthews is a better singer, and all-around better person than Edward Severson.

Laughable statement Dave!

I did take out the guitar part though.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    RatRat Posts: 38

You made me cry to death with that comment...i mean i love dave matthews but cmon??better singer??lol
    "Every time I see the Spice Girls, it makes me want to try to fly by climbing my roof and strapping bricks to my shoes."
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    not everything has to be celebrity deathmatch. I'm not really into DMB, and PJ is my favorite band, but both are good and deserve respect as musicians IMO.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    I love both bands and have been listening to both for a long time...but I gotta go with Pearl Jam..
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I love both bands! Both amazing live bands!!

The problem is DMB hasn't put out a decent album in a long time (a few good songs per disc)...they've been losing this battle for a long time now.

In fact, I've really stopped going to shows because so many of their newer tunes (which are pretty much bad) are played WAY too often.

As far as the Ed/Dave comparison...nobody will question Dave being a better guitar player, and if they do they are just a naive fool! As far as writing Dave is a mile or two behind...especially of late. Singing...well it cannot be compared! I love Dave and DMB but Ed is the man with the voice!
  • Options
    kc_pjkc_pj Posts: 284
    sorry, like both but love PJ
    "Seek my part, devote myself.
    My small self. Like a book amongst the many on a shelf."

"I'm already 30% more unpredictable."
    -Pam Beesly
  • Options
    Them-Bones wrote:
    Sean Kinney could kick all there asses.

true, but i wonder who would win in a fight? carter beuford, matt cameron or sean kinney. carter is big and black but matt is just a goofy psycho, sean is just plain badass.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I love both bands! Both amazing live bands!!

The problem is DMB hasn't put out a decent album in a long time (a few good songs per disc)...they've been losing this battle for a long time now.

In fact, I've really stopped going to shows because so many of their newer tunes (which are pretty much bad) are played WAY too often.

As far as the Ed/Dave comparison...nobody will question Dave being a better guitar player, and if they do they are just a naive fool! As far as writing Dave is a mile or two behind...especially of late. Singing...well it cannot be compared! I love Dave and DMB but Ed is the man with the voice!

the same could be said about pj "pj hasn't put out a decent album since vitalogy"

ed has the better voice period,done,end

i do give respect to DMB though, both pj and DMB seem to be the most "jammy" mainstream rock bands that even alot of hippies like haha.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Simple, Dave is lame, PJ is not.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB
  • Options
    I like 'em both.....but I can't name the DMB guys.

to me that says alot because I think of PJ as a more complete band. Dave Matthews can go solo and it really doesn't make any difference.

DMB makes me sleepy sometimes

or mabye that's just the herb
    the Minions