Why is this the best US band ever (positive posts only)?

Comments

• Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    because pearl jam's music doesn't all sound alike.

Right on, Sister!
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    :)
    and i agree about RHCP. one album's good, the next album's bad. good point at least it's a variation.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• MikeLoveMikeLove Posts: 67
    Um...The Beach Boys...The Doors...Jimi Hendrix...Grateful Dead...Allman Brothers...Zappa...come to mind. PJ is the best live band bar none today and may end up in the top ten of all time American Acts but ya gotta acknowledge your history grasshopper (or listen to your Dad's records)
    High and Inside, Low and Away
    MikeLove wrote:
    Um...The Beach Boys...The Doors...Jimi Hendrix...Grateful Dead...Allman Brothers...Zappa...come to mind. PJ is the best live band bar none today and may end up in the top ten of all time American Acts but ya gotta acknowledge your history grasshopper (or listen to your Dad's records)

Grasshopper acknowledges there's lots of greats out there, but debatable on a few of your faves:
    -Beach Boys: same music record to record...what the hell was Kokomo?!
    -The Doors and Jimi...longevity issues, but serious musicians
    -Fair point with Dead, but their concerts are just extended acid trips
    -Allmans...never had the pleasure to see Duane live, but Gregg, Dickie & the others are for real. Them and Bruce are the top two contenders in my mind
    -Zappa...seriously?

Glad you didn't try peddling Aerosmith. One of the many pretenders IMHO. Crazy, Angel, etc, along with the Beach Boys' Kokomo, single-handedly take them off the contenders list.
  • Black73 wrote:
    Glad you didn't try peddling Aerosmith. One of the many pretenders IMHO. Crazy, Angel, etc, along with the Beach Boys' Kokomo, single-handedly take them off the contenders list.

Aerosmith's first few albums were good enough to hang with the best rock bands of all time...after that...yeah..not much of a fan of that shit...but Backspacer to me is the same thing...it doesn't rock nearly as much as Pearl jams old shit...not even close...and you have to remember...Aerosmith started in the 70s...so it was just as long before they started making popy type stuff as it took PJ to do the same...and i'm willing to bet if you ask the band if they are Areosmith fans most of them would say yes.
    Black73 wrote:

Aerosmith's first few albums were good enough to hang with the best rock bands of all time...after that...yeah..not much of a fan of that shit...but Backspacer to me is the same thing...it doesn't rock nearly as much as Pearl jams old shit...not even close...and you have to remember...Aerosmith started in the 70s...so it was just as long before they started making popy type stuff as it took PJ to do the same...and i'm willing to bet if you ask the band if they are Areosmith fans most of them would say yes.

Yeah, Dream On & Deuces Wild are solid, no argument. I would argue, however, they are/were a commercial monster on a giant label when they turned out those other garbage songs and rotten MTV videos. PJ, on the other hand, distributed from Target after leaving the major label. And, there's no "Crazy"-type video coming from Backspacer. Whether you like Backspacer or not, it's still just about the music and not some 17 year-old tart on the back of a motorcycle.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,444
    Mike is not the best guitarist on the planet...
    Neither is Stone....
    Jeff is not the best bassist on the planet.....
    Boom is not the best at what he does.....
    Matt is good...But not one of the best ever......
    Ed on the other hand, is one of the top 5 frontman to walk the planet......Just my opinion....

Anyway, these guys are not the best at what they do, individually....

But, put these guys together....

And they are THE BEST LIVE BAND I have ever seen......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • smanchacsmanchac Posts: 255
    because its the only time in my entire life where people come together.

For no other reason, not even revolution or church or war will you find 20,000 people together in unison for a reason, a purpose. When i hear 20K+ singing along, it gives me feelings in my body i cant describe.

that's why i say there the best band ever.
    2000 10.14 10.15
    2003 4.1 4.3 4.5 4.6 4.8 4.9 4.11 4.13 6.9 6.10
    2004 10.8
    2008 6.14 6.17 6.22
    2009 9.21 9.22 9.25 10.4
    2010 5.18 5.20 5.21
    2012 7.4 7.5 7.7 7.9 7.10 9.30
    2013 7.19 10.21 10.22 10.25 12.4 12.6

35 Shows; 1040 Songs
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    Mike is not the best guitarist on the planet...
    Neither is Stone....
    Jeff is not the best bassist on the planet.....
    Boom is not the best at what he does.....
    Matt is good...But not one of the best ever......
    Ed on the other hand, is one of the top 5 frontman to walk the planet......Just my opinion....

Anyway, these guys are not the best at what they do, individually....

But, put these guys together....

And they are THE BEST LIVE BAND I have ever seen......

I'm with you on this one, Speedy!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band.

( all original members with the exception of Danny F recenty passing away from Melanoma )

As much as I love PJ,..they have some serious catching up to do.

Actually, the E-street band is not all original members (even counting Danny being gone).
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • I have had this argument many many days at work with my fellow music fans. When it comes to a great band longevity is paramount after that quality of albums. When it comes to live shows it is a must for any bands. So when it comes down to it all not many bands can fill in all three boxes. So lets take score.

1-3 points for each catagory. Long/quality/live
    Long=greater then ten years
    quality=sales/hits/damn good albums more then 5
    live= rocking shows over and over

PJ 3/3/3
    REM 3/3/3 everyone forgets them
    Bruce 3/2/3
    Dead 3/1/3
    CCR 2/2/3
    GNR 1/1/2 They only had one good album
    Nirvana 1/2/3
    Eagles 2/1/1 boring shows
    Doors 2/2/3
    RHCP 3/2/3

How in God's name is Bruce a 3/2/3?

That is pure nonsense. I'm not sure how you are measuring "quality" - but you included sales and good albums. Well Born in the USA sold a lot more albums than any PJ album...and BitUSA is arguably one of bruce's worst records. In terms of quality albums: Born to Run, Darkness, The River, Nebraska, The Wild The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. C'mon now.

If we really want to be sincere about this Bruce is probably THE greatest american ROCK'n'ROLLER of all time. when you combine quality of albums, longevity and touring.

Brian Wilson is probably the greatest song-writer - but the beach boys are closer to "pop" than rock'n'roll.

Bob Dylan is the greatest american lyricist of all time

The Dead are the greatest touring act of all time.

I'm not sure you can rank PJ ahead of a band like the Doors either... Morrison has been dead for 40 years and you still see people wearing t-shirts w/ him on it.

Honorable mentions:
    Allman Bro's
    Elivis
    Chuck Berry
    CCR
    Eagles
    Metallica
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
    EvoLukin wrote:
    ok now I'm confused :? Did I get tore up ;)
    oh and I did mean best band ever, in US, outside US
    any decade, any time
    over The Who, Beatles, Stones, The Dead, all of 'em
    Pearl Jam can stand with the best of them and are still making great music which can't be said for the rest.
    And OP I totally agree with you Eddie kills any cover he does! He's better than the original each time. I thought Bruce looked a little nervous that night :mrgreen:
    I guess if you got it you got it and Pearl Jam's GOT IT! And I'm gonna keep wanting more!

No. I was just pointing out that your quote was not read in my reply. Sorry. I would never slam a fellow Georgian. I respect your opinion. Just saying I disagree.[/quote]

Re Eddie on covers: I recognize I'm biased, but seriously - the only cover I did not like better than the original was Hendrix' Little Wing. All others - Love, Reign O'er Me; My City of Ruins; I Believe in Miracles; I've Got A Feelin'; 25 Minutes To Go; etc) - are done with such heart and admiration from Eddie and the boys that their versions sound better than the originals.
    I have had this argument many many days at work with my fellow music fans. When it comes to a great band longevity is paramount after that quality of albums. When it comes to live shows it is a must for any bands. So when it comes down to it all not many bands can fill in all three boxes. So lets take score.

PJ 3/3/3
    Bruce 3/2/3
    Dead 3/1/3
    CCR 2/2/3
    Nirvana 1/2/3
    Doors 2/2/3
    RHCP 3/2/3

How in God's name is Bruce a 3/2/3?

That is pure nonsense. I'm not sure how you are measuring "quality" - but you included sales and good albums. Well Born in the USA sold a lot more albums than any PJ album...and BitUSA is arguably one of bruce's worst records. In terms of quality albums: Born to Run, Darkness, The River, Nebraska, The Wild The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. C'mon now.

If we really want to be sincere about this Bruce is probably THE greatest american ROCK'n'ROLLER of all time. when you combine quality of albums, longevity and touring.

Brian Wilson is probably the greatest song-writer - but the beach boys are closer to "pop" than rock'n'roll.

Bob Dylan is the greatest american lyricist of all time

The Dead are the greatest touring act of all time.

I'm not sure you can rank PJ ahead of a band like the Doors either... Morrison has been dead for 40 years and you still see people wearing t-shirts w/ him on it.

Honorable mentions:
    Allman Bro's
    Elivis
    Chuck Berry
    CCR
    Eagles
    Metallica

PJ is ranked ahead of The Doors b/c Mr Mojo Risin is nothing more than a glorified poet.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,688
    Black73 wrote:
    Mr Mojo Risin is nothing more than a glorified poet.
    Methinks you'll find plenty of folks who'll take umbridge with that statement.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    -Zappa...seriously?

????????????
    You should really take a class on Rock and Roll if that is your comment on Frank Zappa, he was a great guitar player, a teacher and mentor to TONS of musicians and was a composer. Was "some" of his stuff silly slap stick humor, sure, but the guy was a FANTASTIC musician.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

Cob wrote:
    -Zappa...seriously?

????????????
    You should really take a class on Rock and Roll if that is your comment on Frank Zappa, he was a great guitar player, a teacher and mentor to TONS of musicians and was a composer. Was "some" of his stuff silly slap stick humor, sure, but the guy was a FANTASTIC musician.

Fair..."seriously?" did not imply he's not a fantastic musician, I just don't think he holds a candle to PJ. I also didn't give Iggy props here & he's super-talented...but had someone suggested he & The Stooges were the top American band, I'd have responded similarly.
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    edited April 2010
    Lou Reed and Velvet UNDERGROUND :lol: are far better than Zappa will ever be and are close if not on the same level as Dylan lyrically.

But, I still think PJ is the best with more to come
    Post edited by jethrojam420 on
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Lou Reed and Velvet Revolver are far better than Zappa will ever be and are close if not on the same level as Dylan lyrically.

VRon the same level as Dylan? They have one album worth listening to and the lyrics are nothing special.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Cob wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    I have had this argument many many days at work with my fellow music fans. When it comes to a great band longevity is paramount after that quality of albums. When it comes to live shows it is a must for any bands. So when it comes down to it all not many bands can fill in all three boxes. So lets take score.

PJ 3/3/3
    Bruce 3/2/3
    Dead 3/1/3
    CCR 2/2/3
    Nirvana 1/2/3
    Doors 2/2/3
    RHCP 3/2/3

CCR has gotta be 3 on the succes part, especially if PJ is. They had like 20 #1's in 2 years.

RHCP? not great live, or even close, not that consistent album wise.

Nirvana, again, not great live

GnR, more popular at their height than PJ was or has been, best album of the 80's, 2 of the best albums of the 90s, plus Lies is great...Amazing live from everything I've ever seen... I realize they get alotta hate around here, but these are facts.

CCR never had a #1 in the US, they had 5 #2 hits in the US.

And I would rank Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers high on the list along with Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, Allman Brothers, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, just to name a few.

Whoops, musta been top 10's with CCR, then. Either way, they've had more chart success than PJ has ever had.
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    Who am I to say, but PJ is my favorite because of the incredible degree of emotional response that their music and live shows evoke for me.

As far as American groups, here's my not-so-daring top 5:
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. BRUUUCE
    3. Bob Dylan
    4. The Band
    5. My Morning Jacket
    DewieCox wrote:
    Lou Reed and Velvet Revolver are far better than Zappa will ever be and are close if not on the same level as Dylan lyrically.

VRon the same level as Dylan? They have one album worth listening to and the lyrics are nothing special.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
    DewieCox wrote:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man

I'll back him on it :p Few people should be mentioned in the same breath as Bob.
  • Lou Reed and Velvet Revolver are far better than Zappa will ever be and are close if not on the same level as Dylan lyrically.

I think you mean The Velvet Underground. But sure sounds like you are a huge Lou Reed fan! :shock:

I think you mean The Velvet Underground. But sure sounds like you are a huge Lou Reed fan! :shock:

Oh man. That new Stp song has gotten me too pissed to even think right anymore. Yes of course i meant Velvet Underground!...ah well,...ok so to clairify - Velvet Revolver not even close to Bob Dylan. Velvet Underground is close and at least worthy of being in same league.

Thank you WBT lol
  • DewieCox wrote:
    They're top 10 US band, maybe top 5. I think PJ can hang with most of them. I think their longevity as an amazing live act really puts them up with the greatest of bands. Not many bands go 7 albums deep before the quality really slips. Some other bands I'd toss into the argument....

CCR
    Black Crowes
    Bruce
    Allmans
    The Band
    GnR
    Petty
    Skynyrd
    Metallica
    RHCP
    Tool
    Dead

As for worldwide, they don't compare favorably with the Beatles, Zep, or Pink Floyd in any aspect really.
    My list would include original Lynyrd Skynyrd(they made some really great music in a very short period/74-77 mostly, Allmans from 70's especially w. Duane, Metallica(not huge fan, but they do put on Great Show) and you would have to include Bruce, I am not huge Dead Fan and do not think they have musical cateloge of the others mentioned and do not compare to PJ IMO.I also like Grand Funk RR and think they are in my top5.I find it hard to compare current active bands to early "all-time greats" like The Who, The Stones,Beatles, Zep, or Pink Floyd but would rather see PJ than current conception of any of thoses mentioned who still are together and some form or other, I Think PJ long term place in R&R history will be well respected IMO!
    11/5/91: Troy NY "I Just Want to SCREAM... HELLO!"
    8/4/92:Saratoga NY 4/6/94:Mass 9/13/98:CT
    8/27/2000:Saratoga NY,10/04/2000:Montreal,Canada
    04/29/03:Albany, 5/12/06:Albany NY,10/31/09:Philly,5/15/10Hartford CT

• CobCob Posts: 857
    Black73 wrote:
    Cob wrote:
    -Zappa...seriously?

????????????

Fair..."seriously?" did not imply he's not a fantastic musician, I just don't think he holds a candle to PJ. I also didn't give Iggy props here & he's super-talented...but had someone suggested he & The Stooges were the top American band, I'd have responded similarly.

There are a CRAP LOAD of people on here who really need to take their PJ blinders off sometimes. :roll:

I love PJ, do I consider them the "best" US band ever, that's hard to say, I understand that there are people out there that consider Zappa and Grateful Dead an acquired taste, I really do. It's like the Jerry Garcia quote about Dead Heads and why they love the Grateful Dead so much.

"Our audience is like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice." Jerry Garcia
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

Cob wrote:
    Black73 wrote:
    Cob wrote:
    -Zappa...seriously?

????????????

There are a CRAP LOAD of people on here who really need to take their PJ blinders off sometimes. :roll:

I love PJ, do I consider them the "best" US band ever, that's hard to say, I understand that there are people out there that consider Zappa and Grateful Dead an acquired taste, I really do. It's like the Jerry Garcia quote about Dead Heads and why they love the Grateful Dead so much.

"Our audience is like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice." Jerry Garcia

Well put, Cob. I mean no disrespect to the myriad of US greats, but thought this topic would generate some hearty debate, which I think it has. For the record, I only like red licorice...might explain my "PJ blinders!"
  • EvoLukinEvoLukin Posts: 188
    Who am I to say, but PJ is my favorite because of the incredible degree of emotional response that their music and live shows evoke for me.

1. Pearl Jam
    2. BRUUUCE
    3. Bob Dylan
    4. The Band
    5. My Morning Jacket

Just a fyi. The Band only had 1 American, Levin Helm. The rest of the guys are Canadians. There music is so Americana anyone would assume they were all southern Americans.
    "Smelly Velvet"-EV on Stone's velvet shorts(ATL 94)

Atlanta,GA 1994 1&2
    N.Charleston, SC 1996
    Greenville, SC 1998
    Atlanta, GA 2000
    Columbia, SC 2008
    EV(2009) - Atlanta 1
    EvoLukin wrote:

1. Pearl Jam
    2. BRUUUCE
    3. Bob Dylan
    4. The Band
    5. My Morning Jacket

Just a fyi. The Band only had 1 American, Levin Helm. The rest of the guys are Canadians. There music is so Americana anyone would assume they were all southern Americans.

Hah yeah you're right- I specifically deleted Neil for that reason then didn't even think of it for the Band. Levon is my favorite member and I've always considered them American.
  • EvoLukinEvoLukin Posts: 188
    EvoLuk in wrote:

1. Pearl Jam
    2. BRUUUCE
    3. Bob Dylan
    4. The Band
    5. My Morning Jacket

Hah yeah you're right- I specifically deleted Neil for that reason then didn't even think of it for the Band. Levon is my favorite member and I've always considered them American.

Nothing better or more Americana than Levon belting out Cripple Creek!
    "Smelly Velvet"-EV on Stone's velvet shorts(ATL 94)

Atlanta,GA 1994 1&2
    N.Charleston, SC 1996
    Greenville, SC 1998
    Atlanta, GA 2000
    Columbia, SC 2008
    EV(2009) - Atlanta 1