Why is this the best US band ever (positive posts only)?

Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Ok...I'm sick of all the negative $hit floating around this message board. Time for some good vibes...so, why is Pearl Jam the best US band ever?

I'll start: I can't find another US rock band with 80% of its original lineup whose made more lasting, impactful music, and sounds as good live as Pearl Jam. The Dead are a niche band, so they're not a serious contender IMHO.

What say you?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    because they do 1 night in boston
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    Mike McCready
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    edited April 2010
    Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band.

( all original members with the exception of Danny F recenty passing away from Melanoma )

As much as I love PJ,..they have some serious catching up to do.
    Post edited by Bathgate66 on
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Two words for you: Dirty Frank
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,237
    Because they care about me :) .
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    1. That's your opinion that pj is the best american band. They aren't even in my top 5 american bands
    2. The dead are def not a niche band. They still can sell out and helped pave the way for live concert recordings.
    3. What impact has pj had. The impact they have is the post grunge scene that has bands like bush, nickleback and creed, staind, shinedown. *shudders*
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,237
    metsfan wrote:
    1. That's your opinion that pj is the best american band. They aren't even in my top 5 american bands
    2. The dead are def not a niche band. They still can sell out and helped pave the way for live concert recordings.
    3. What impact has pj had. The impact they have is the post grunge scene that has bands like bush, nickleback and creed, staind, shinedown. *shudders*

He said positive posts :oops: ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Mike McCready
    one of the main reasons..+ great music-lyrics...and give u the feeling that life has a great meaning,music is the way..and they have the greatiest fans ever!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I thought this was pretty cool of the band. Maybe a reason why they're a great American band.

In an effort to provide more tickets to our fans who were unable to secure a pair to either of the MSG shows, for the first two hours the pre-sale will be restricted to members who do not already have MSG tickets.  At 12 noon Pacific time this restriction will be lifted should any tickets remain in stock.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    cause they make the best music ever.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    metsfan wrote:

He said positive posts :oops: ..
    ummm I'm positive that pj is the best live act right now and that smithtown is for rich people

Is that positive enough

Hehe
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• 4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,224
    Black73 wrote:
    The Dead are a niche band, so they're not a serious contender IMHO.

Not only are they serious contender, I would say they are a MUCH bigger american band than PJ. I am not a fan.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• different set for every show
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    They always keep it real and have more respect for their fans then any entertainer has ever had and their music is so good especially the way they play together live. The Dead suck at playing music unless you're on something but did keep it real as well. And Bruce is mainly a Northeast thing. Pearl Jam are loved throughout the US and world for that matter, not just San Francisco and Jersey.
    marcos wrote:
    And Bruce is mainly a Northeast thing.

Maybe in 1978, but not anymore.
    Check out the Barcelona DVD.
    platessmall.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Black73 wrote:
    Ok...I'm sick of all the negative $hit floating around this message board. Time for some good vibes...so, why is Pearl Jam the best US band ever?

I'll start: I can't find another US rock band with 80% of its original lineup whose made more lasting, impactful music, and sounds as good live as Pearl Jam. The Dead are a niche band, so they're not a serious contender IMHO.

What say you?
    Pearl Jam is not only the best US band, they are the best band ever. Their talent is unrivaled individually and as a group. Their lead singer blows away any other singer ever. His voice often described as a spiritual experience when listening for many. Their music has stood the test of time. Their lyrics are often described as a "soundtrack to one's life" because they speak to the soul and their listeners can relate their own lives to them. They are personally an example of living a kind, generous life and they positively love what they are doing, love life and love us!
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I don't even really like Pearl Jam. They're an average rock band whose live shows aren't even that great.

That's cool if you guys love them, I really just don't see the attraction.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    marcos wrote:
    And Bruce is mainly a Northeast thing.

Maybe in 1978, but not anymore.
    Check out the Barcelona DVD.

The early 1980's was the last time Bruce made a good record with the E Street band. He definitely made great records in his day but I think there is a connection that was lost lost once he blew up with Born in the USA. I'm from Philly so I get his music, but I feel Pearl Jam has a more universal special connection with their fans that was never lost despite their success.
  • Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    Bathgate66 wrote:

( all original members with the exception of Danny F recenty passing away from Melanoma )

Fair point...Bruce is the man and "Silvio" Van Zandt is multi-talented. You won't catch me talking smack about The Boss...although I think PJ is closing the gap. Bruce would likely agree...did you see how moved he was at Eddie's "My City of Ruins" Kennedy Center tribute?
  • Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    [/quote]
    Pearl Jam is not only the best US band, they are the best band ever. Their talent is unrivaled individually and as a group. Their lead singer blows away any other singer ever. His voice often described as a spiritual experience when listening for many. Their music has stood the test of time. Their lyrics are often described as a "soundtrack to one's life" because they speak to the soul and their listeners can relate their own lives to them. They are personally an example of living a kind, generous life and they positively love what they are doing, love life and love us![/quote]

Not to mention, no one covers any song better than Eddie...hands down. His covers sometimes sound better than the original.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Black73 wrote:
    Pearl Jam is not only the best US band, they are the best band ever. Their talent is unrivaled individually and as a group. Their lead singer blows away any other singer ever. His voice often described as a spiritual experience when listening for many. Their music has stood the test of time. Their lyrics are often described as a "soundtrack to one's life" because they speak to the soul and their listeners can relate their own lives to them. They are personally an example of living a kind, generous life and they positively love what they are doing, love life and love us![/quote]

Not to mention, no one covers any song better than Eddie...hands down. His covers sometimes sound better than the original.[/quote]
    I would argue Gov't Mule covers songs better than Pearl Jam...

Is PJ the best American band? I don't know. Aerosmith is up there.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • EvoLukinEvoLukin Posts: 188
    Best American band ever? Best still performing today, probably. I would put The Allman Brothers and The Grateful Dead(circa J.Garcia) ahead in the "ever" category.
    "Smelly Velvet"-EV on Stone's velvet shorts(ATL 94)

Atlanta,GA 1994 1&2
    N.Charleston, SC 1996
    Greenville, SC 1998
    Atlanta, GA 2000
    Columbia, SC 2008
    EV(2009) - Atlanta 1
    edited April 2010
    Black73 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Fair point...Bruce is the man and "Silvio" Van Zandt is multi-talented. You won't catch me talking smack about The Boss...although I think PJ is closing the gap. Bruce would likely agree...did you see how moved he was at Eddie's "My City of Ruins" Kennedy Center tribute?

I must agree here
    Bruce clearly was moved , as was Patti.
    Its no secret about Bruces admiration for Ed ( personally ) and the Pearl Jam entity.
    I hope The Boss shows up to meet his " employee " again in Jersey.
    :thumbup:
    Post edited by Bathgate66 on
    platessmall.jpg
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    pandora wrote:
    [
    Pearl Jam is not only the best US band, they are the best band ever.!
    exactly this :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Nittany1bnNittany1bn Posts: 214
    aerosmith is a caricature of itself and hasn't made a good album in 20 years, the dead died for me when Jerry died. Bruce, the Allmans, and Pearl Jam are the only bands thet even deserve to be in the conversation. They are the three (American) bands that still absolutely kill every time they play. Pearl Jam is the best because they still make great records, too
    pandora wrote:
    [
    Pearl Jam is not only the best US band, they are the best band ever.!
    exactly this :)
    I don't even think PJ themselves would agree with this. Ever heard of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Band, etc. PJ is great but are still working on being legends.

Atlanta,GA 1994 1&2
    N.Charleston, SC 1996
    Greenville, SC 1998
    Atlanta, GA 2000
    Columbia, SC 2008
    EV(2009) - Atlanta 1
  • Bruce is excrutiating live since the 90s, i dont care what any one says.

PJ is best because they made No Code. they could put out nothing but crap after that (which they almost have) and they would still be the best!
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    metsfan wrote:

so you have 7352 posts on a board of a band that isn't in your top 5

really?
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Once(upon a time there was a band called PearlJam)

EvenFlow Alive WhyGo Black Jeremy Oceans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LB4e0A7C4M Garden Deep Release Go Animal Daughter GlorifiedG Dissident WMA Rearviewmirror Rats ElderlyWomanBehindThe CounterInASmallTown Leash Indifference LastExit SpinTheBlackCircle NotForYou Nothingman Whipping PryTo Corduroy Bugs SatansBed Betterman AyeDavanita Immortality Heyfoxymophandlemamathat'sme Sometimes HailHail WhoYouAre InMyTree Smile OffHeGoes Habit RedMosquito Lukin PresentTense Mankind I'mOpen AroundTheBend BrainOfJ Faithful NoWay GivenToFly Wishlist Pilate DoTheEvolution Untitled MFC LowLight InHiding PushMePullMe AllThoseYesterdays Breakerfall GodsDice Evacuation LightYears NothingAsItSeems ThinAir Insignificance Grievance Rival SleightOfHand SoonForget PartingWays Can'tKeep SaveYou LoveBoatCaptain Cropduster Ghost IAmMine ThumbingMyWay YouAre GetRight GreenDisease HelpHelp Bu$hleaguer 1/2Full Arc AllOrNone LifeWasted WorldWideSuicide Comatose SeveredHand MarkerInTheSand Parachutes Unemployable BigWave Gone WastedReprise ArmyReserve ComeBack InsideJob GonnaSeeMyFriend GotSome TheFixer JohnnyGuitar JustBreathe AmongstTheWaves UnthoughtKnown Supersonic SpeedOfSound ForceOfNature

TheEnd
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
    veddertown wrote:
    Once(upon a time there was a band called PearlJam)

EvenFlow Alive WhyGo Black Jeremy Oceans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LB4e0A7C4M Garden Deep Release Go Animal Daughter GlorifiedG Dissident WMA Rearviewmirror Rats ElderlyWomanBehindThe CounterInASmallTown Leash Indifference LastExit SpinTheBlackCircle NotForYou Nothingman Whipping PryTo Corduroy Bugs SatansBed Betterman AyeDavanita Immortality Heyfoxymophandlemamathat'sme Sometimes HailHail WhoYouAre InMyTree Smile OffHeGoes Habit RedMosquito Lukin PresentTense Mankind I'mOpen AroundTheBend BrainOfJ Faithful NoWay GivenToFly Wishlist Pilate DoTheEvolution Untitled MFC LowLight InHiding PushMePullMe AllThoseYesterdays Breakerfall GodsDice Evacuation LightYears NothingAsItSeems ThinAir Insignificance Grievance Rival SleightOfHand SoonForget PartingWays Can'tKeep SaveYou LoveBoatCaptain Cropduster Ghost IAmMine ThumbingMyWay YouAre GetRight GreenDisease HelpHelp Bu$hleaguer 1/2Full Arc AllOrNone LifeWasted WorldWideSuicide Comatose SeveredHand MarkerInTheSand Parachutes Unemployable BigWave Gone WastedReprise ArmyReserve ComeBack InsideJob GonnaSeeMyFriend GotSome TheFixer JohnnyGuitar JustBreathe AmongstTheWaves UnthoughtKnown Supersonic SpeedOfSound ForceOfNature

TheEnd
    Awesome. Great Ending.

Atlanta,GA 1994 1&2
    N.Charleston, SC 1996
    Greenville, SC 1998
    Atlanta, GA 2000
    Columbia, SC 2008
    EV(2009) - Atlanta 1