Why is this the best US band ever (positive posts only)?

Comments

• zootownzootown Posts: 666
    Two words: The Pixies. Pearl Jam def in the top 3 though
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    metsfan wrote:
    1. That's your opinion that pj is the best american band. They aren't even in my top 5 american bands
    2. The dead are def not a niche band. They still can sell out and helped pave the way for live concert recordings.
    3. What impact has pj had. The impact they have is the post grunge scene that has bands like bush, nickleback and creed, staind, shinedown. *shudders*

so you have 7352 posts on a board of a band that isn't in your top 5

really?

American bands
    1. The dead
    2. Bruce and e street band
    3. The doors
    4. Aerosmith
    5. The ramones

Top 5 bands
    1. The who
    2. The dead
    3. Pink floyd
    4. Bruce and e street band
    5. Fugazi
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    They're top 10 US band, maybe top 5. I think PJ can hang with most of them. I think their longevity as an amazing live act really puts them up with the greatest of bands. Not many bands go 7 albums deep before the quality really slips. Some other bands I'd toss into the argument....

CCR
    Black Crowes
    Bruce
    Allmans
    The Band
    GnR
    Petty
    Skynyrd
    Metallica
    RHCP
    Tool
    Dead

As for worldwide, they don't compare favorably with the Beatles, Zep, or Pink Floyd in any aspect really.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Black73 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band.

( all original members with the exception of Danny F recenty passing away from Melanoma )

As much as I love PJ,..they have some serious catching up to do.

Fair point...Bruce is the man and "Silvio" Van Zandt is multi-talented. You won't catch me talking smack about The Boss...although I think PJ is closing the gap. Bruce would likely agree...did you see how moved he was at Eddie's "My City of Ruins" Kennedy Center tribute?

I must agree here
    Bruce clearly was moved , as was Patti.
    Its no secret about Bruces admiration for Ed ( personally ) and the Pearl Jam entity.
    I hope The Boss shows up to meet his " employee " again in Jersey.
    :thumbup:
    bruce is also moved by asses at gyms ;);)
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Just my opinion of course, but I think it all boils down to songwriting.
    Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire?

I'll not lose my faith, it's an inside job today

St. Louis 5/4/10 Hope for many more!
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/ ... andy_x.htm

This is from 2005 but still holds relevance today
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,237
    EvoLukin wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    [
    Pearl Jam is not only the best US band, they are the best band ever.!
    exactly this :)
    I don't even think PJ themselves would agree with this. Ever heard of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Band, etc. PJ is great but are still working on being legends.

AMERICAN BANDS :roll:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    my avatar about sums it up
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • if 'best' means my favorite, then they are the best.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    they help out the bridge school. ....for kids with disabilities. i'm disabled and think it's pretty special.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• EvoLukinEvoLukin Posts: 188
    pandora wrote:
    [
    exactly this :)[/quote]
    I don't even think PJ themselves would agree with this. Ever heard of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Band, etc. PJ is great but are still working on being legends.[/quote]

AMERICAN BANDS :roll:[/quote]
    READ PANDORA'S QUOTE! APOLOGY ACCEPTED! :roll:
    "Smelly Velvet"-EV on Stone's velvet shorts(ATL 94)

Atlanta,GA 1994 1&2
    N.Charleston, SC 1996
    Greenville, SC 1998
    Atlanta, GA 2000
    Columbia, SC 2008
    EV(2009) - Atlanta 1
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    veddertown wrote:
    Once(upon a time there was a band called PearlJam)

EvenFlow Alive WhyGo Black Jeremy Oceans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LB4e0A7C4M Garden Deep Release Go Animal Daughter GlorifiedG Dissident WMA Rearviewmirror Rats ElderlyWomanBehindThe CounterInASmallTown Leash Indifference LastExit SpinTheBlackCircle NotForYou Nothingman Whipping PryTo Corduroy Bugs SatansBed Betterman AyeDavanita Immortality Heyfoxymophandlemamathat'sme Sometimes HailHail WhoYouAre InMyTree Smile OffHeGoes Habit RedMosquito Lukin PresentTense Mankind I'mOpen AroundTheBend BrainOfJ Faithful NoWay GivenToFly Wishlist Pilate DoTheEvolution Untitled MFC LowLight InHiding PushMePullMe AllThoseYesterdays Breakerfall GodsDice Evacuation LightYears NothingAsItSeems ThinAir Insignificance Grievance Rival SleightOfHand SoonForget PartingWays Can'tKeep SaveYou LoveBoatCaptain Cropduster Ghost IAmMine ThumbingMyWay YouAre GetRight GreenDisease HelpHelp Bu$hleaguer 1/2Full Arc AllOrNone LifeWasted WorldWideSuicide Comatose SeveredHand MarkerInTheSand Parachutes Unemployable BigWave Gone WastedReprise ArmyReserve ComeBack InsideJob GonnaSeeMyFriend GotSome TheFixer JohnnyGuitar JustBreathe AmongstTheWaves UnthoughtKnown Supersonic SpeedOfSound ForceOfNature

TheEnd
    :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    i will argue that they are up there in the "top american bands of all-time" category. IMHO they are the best, but everyone has their own musical tastes. The band is my personal favorite (and by a long shot might I add), simply because their music makes me feel unlike any other I've ever heard. I'd say that I like a strong 90% of every song they've ever recorded and LOVE close to half. I cant really explain why their music makes me feel the way it does, as I have no real personal connection to it; i.e. I cannot relate to most of the lyrical content. However, in my opinion, its just how good music is supposed to sound. I'm not even half the fanatic as a lot of people on this board but I am a self professed music lover and for me it doesnt get any better than pearl jam. In this day and age it's hard to find lyrics with such depth and meaning layered on top of such kickass music. and although i will only be attending my 5th live show this tour, live pearl jam, getting absolutely lost in the music and the moment and completely forgetting about everything else in the world for a brief 2-3 hours is nothing short of bliss. simply put, pearl jam = perfect. but thats just my two cents 8-) see yall in columbus :D
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    EvoLukin wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    [
    exactly this :)
    I don't even think PJ themselves would agree with this. Ever heard of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Band, etc. PJ is great but are still working on being legends.[/quote]

AMERICAN BANDS :roll:[/quote]
    READ PANDORA'S QUOTE! APOLOGY ACCEPTED! :roll:[/quote]

ok now I'm confused :? Did I get tore up ;)
    oh and I did mean best band ever, in US, outside US
    any decade, any time
    over The Who, Beatles, Stones, The Dead, all of 'em
    Pearl Jam can stand with the best of them and are still making great music which can't be said for the rest.
    And OP I totally agree with you Eddie kills any cover he does! He's better than the original each time. I thought Bruce looked a little nervous that night :mrgreen:
    I guess if you got it you got it and Pearl Jam's GOT IT! And I'm gonna keep wanting more!
  • Oceans 98Oceans 98 Posts: 232
    edited April 2010
    metsfan wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    1. That's your opinion that pj is the best american band. They aren't even in my top 5 american bands
    2. The dead are def not a niche band. They still can sell out and helped pave the way for live concert recordings.
    3. What impact has pj had. The impact they have is the post grunge scene that has bands like bush, nickleback and creed, staind, shinedown. *shudders*

so you have 7352 posts on a board of a band that isn't in your top 5

really?

American bands
    1. The dead
    2. Bruce and e street band
    3. The doors
    4. Aerosmith
    5. The ramones

Top 5 bands
    1. The who
    2. The dead
    3. Pink floyd
    4. Bruce and e street band
    5. Fugazi

I agree with most of your choices. I would also also throw in Nirvana, CCR, and Metallica on the American list, just for the fact of how influentual they were. Some could make an argument for Green Day and Red Hot Chili Peppers for the American List. If the Beach Boys made more albums like Pet Sounds I might throw them in there too.
    Post edited by Oceans 98 on
    St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    pandora wrote:

any decade, any time
    Pearl Jam can stand with the best of them and are still making great music which can't be said for the rest.
    And OP I totally agree with you Eddie kills any cover he does! He's better than the original each time. I thought Bruce looked a little nervous that night :mrgreen:
    I guess if you got it you got it and Pearl Jam's GOT IT! And I'm gonna keep wanting more!
    THIS........AGAIN :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • EvoLukinEvoLukin Posts: 188
    any decade, any time
    I guess if you got it you got it and Pearl Jam's GOT IT! And I'm gonna keep wanting more![/quote]

No. I was just pointing out that your quote was not read in my reply. Sorry. I would never slam a fellow Georgian. I respect your opinion. Just saying I disagree.
    "Smelly Velvet"-EV on Stone's velvet shorts(ATL 94)

Atlanta,GA 1994 1&2
    N.Charleston, SC 1996
    Greenville, SC 1998
    Atlanta, GA 2000
    Columbia, SC 2008
    EV(2009) - Atlanta 1
  • I have had this argument many many days at work with my fellow music fans. When it comes to a great band longevity is paramount after that quality of albums. When it comes to live shows it is a must for any bands. So when it comes down to it all not many bands can fill in all three boxes. So lets take score.

1-3 points for each catagory. Long/quality/live
    Long=greater then ten years
    quality=sales/hits/damn good albums more then 5
    live= rocking shows over and over

PJ 3/3/3
    REM 3/3/3 everyone forgets them
    Bruce 3/2/3
    Dead 3/1/3
    CCR 2/2/3
    GNR 1/1/2 They only had one good album
    Nirvana 1/2/3
    Eagles 2/1/1 boring shows
    Doors 2/2/3
    RHCP 3/2/3
    St Pete '92...Orlando '92...St Pete '94...FL '96...WPB 2 '98...WPB 1 '00...Tampa '00... Tampa '03...Kissimmi '04...WPB '08...Tampa '08...Camden 1 '08...KC 10...Clearwater 1 '12 (EV)...Wrigley '13...Tampa '16...Fenway 2 '16
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    EvoLukin wrote:
    any decade, any time

No. I was just pointing out that your quote was not read in my reply. Sorry. I would never slam a fellow Georgian. I respect your opinion. Just saying I disagree.[/quote]

Hey fellow Georgian :wave: then you got my "tore up" comment! Its about the only southern term I use, well besides "y'all and hey". Originally a WI girl but I call georgia home for now.
    No sorry necessary, I also respect your opinion and we will agree to disagree respectfully then
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I have had this argument many many days at work with my fellow music fans. When it comes to a great band longevity is paramount after that quality of albums. When it comes to live shows it is a must for any bands. So when it comes down to it all not many bands can fill in all three boxes. So lets take score.

PJ 3/3/3
    Bruce 3/2/3
    Dead 3/1/3
    CCR 2/2/3
    Nirvana 1/2/3
    Doors 2/2/3
    RHCP 3/2/3

CCR has gotta be 3 on the succes part, especially if PJ is. They had like 20 #1's in 2 years.

RHCP? not great live, or even close, not that consistent album wise.

Nirvana, again, not great live

GnR, more popular at their height than PJ was or has been, best album of the 80's, 2 of the best albums of the 90s, plus Lies is great...Amazing live from everything I've ever seen... I realize they get alotta hate around here, but these are facts.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    1)Pearl Jam
    2)Metallica
    3)Eagles

i don't get the love for the Allman Bros. yes there music's good, but did Greg Allman even write a song after he turned 19
  • because they do 1 night in boston

:mrgreen:
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,688
    Neuge wrote:
    Some could make an argument for Green Day and Red Hot Chili Peppers for the American List.
    I'd love to see those arguments.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,688
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band.

( all original members with the exception of Danny F recenty passing away from Melanoma )
    Vini Lopez and David Sancious are back in replacing Max (or would it be his son?) and Roy respectively?

(You of all people should know those facts brother :mrgreen: )
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Old Aerosmith and Old Van Halen kicked ass too.
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    edited April 2010
    DewieCox wrote:
    I have had this argument many many days at work with my fellow music fans. When it comes to a great band longevity is paramount after that quality of albums. When it comes to live shows it is a must for any bands. So when it comes down to it all not many bands can fill in all three boxes. So lets take score.

PJ 3/3/3
    Bruce 3/2/3
    Dead 3/1/3
    CCR 2/2/3
    Nirvana 1/2/3
    Doors 2/2/3
    RHCP 3/2/3

CCR has gotta be 3 on the succes part, especially if PJ is. They had like 20 #1's in 2 years.

RHCP? not great live, or even close, not that consistent album wise.

Nirvana, again, not great live

GnR, more popular at their height than PJ was or has been, best album of the 80's, 2 of the best albums of the 90s, plus Lies is great...Amazing live from everything I've ever seen... I realize they get alotta hate around here, but these are facts.

CCR never had a #1 in the US, they had 5 #2 hits in the US.

And I would rank Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers high on the list along with Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, Allman Brothers, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, just to name a few.
    Post edited by Cob on
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Eddie Vedder.
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551

PJ 3/3/3
    Bruce 3/2/3
    Dead 3/1/3
    CCR 2/2/3
    Nirvana 1/2/3
    Doors 2/2/3
    RHCP 3/2/3

Could you imagine the CCR hits that would have churned out if Fogerty wasn't "self-gagged" all those years?
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    because pearl jam's music doesn't all sound alike.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    Old Aerosmith and Old Van Halen kicked ass too.

That's my point - "old" stuff from a lot of bands (Aerosmith, VH, Allmans, Dead, G'nR, etc) is solid, but newer stuff doesn't hold up. In my mind, all PJ stuff is good.

Who could hate on G'nR? Seattle boy Duff McKagan has been in just about every known band in at one time or another! Axl is a flake, but gotta agree that Lies is a great album, as was Illusion I/II. Appetite is a masterpiece. Spaghetti Incident = train wreck, and Chinese Democracy could not have possibly taken 14 years to write...maybe 14 weeks.

Someone mentioned RHCP is inconsistent from album to album...IMHO that sets them and PJ apart since it's not the same recycled $hit from album to album, circa "influenced" bands like Nippleback and Creed. Definitely not one of favorites, but RHCP has done it their way for a long time too.

By the way...thanks everyone for the fun, respectful debate. I don't need everyone to agree, just want to hear your perspective and appreciate the absence of all the name-calling.