Options

How friggin' awesome are the Black Keys??

Comments

• Options
    jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    really love black keys but not at all liking Brothers. Was super excited about seeing them at Bonnaroo this year but they are playing at the same time as the lips so...... looks like i will be seeing the lips. i just want some of the old dirty blues stuff they've done in the past. oh well..... glad you guys enjoy
  • Options
    mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    JL19851 wrote:
    They were great last night. Short set since they were the opening band, but they played (from memory) Thickfreakness, 10 AM Automatic, Your Touch, Everlasting Light, Next Girl, Howlin' For You, Too Afraid to Love You, Ten Cent Pistol, Tighten Up, and I Got Mine...I think in that order. For the Brothers songs, accompanied by a guitarist and someone playing that freaky organ thing that Dan was playing on their last tour for Oceans & Streams.

It's a shame they are not opening the show tonight, as I have no interest in seeing Band of Horses.
    You should read the feature Rolling Stone did on the Black Keys - at the end they're checking out music on itunes and when they put on band of horses, after like 15 seconds, they go "i'm bored already"
    they seem like cool dudes

They come off like assholes in that article as far as I'm concerned. They're absolutely right about Band of Horses new album, but why did that need to be said at all?
  • Options
    JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    I never worry about band members' personalities. That's a quick way to get disappointed. I have no idea what they are like in real life, but I admit I can come to snap judgments like that myself.

Nonetheless, every day, I love BROTHERS that much more. I am a big fan of all their stuff, including the early bluesy stuff - my favorite album of theirs was THE BIG COME UP - but this is really a perfect melding of their bluesy side with some experimentation and fantastic expansion of their sound.

I didn't think that Band of Horses was bad at all. Found them to sound very much like a toned down My Morning Jacket...and I became a My Morning Jacket fan after seeing them open for Pearl Jam in 2006, but doubt the same will hold here.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    mulva9 wrote:
    JL19851 wrote:
    They were great last night. Short set since they were the opening band, but they played (from memory) Thickfreakness, 10 AM Automatic, Your Touch, Everlasting Light, Next Girl, Howlin' For You, Too Afraid to Love You, Ten Cent Pistol, Tighten Up, and I Got Mine...I think in that order. For the Brothers songs, accompanied by a guitarist and someone playing that freaky organ thing that Dan was playing on their last tour for Oceans & Streams.

It's a shame they are not opening the show tonight, as I have no interest in seeing Band of Horses.
    You should read the feature Rolling Stone did on the Black Keys - at the end they're checking out music on itunes and when they put on band of horses, after like 15 seconds, they go "i'm bored already"
    they seem like cool dudes

They come off like assholes in that article as far as I'm concerned. They're absolutely right about Band of Horses new album, but why did that need to be said at all?
    eh... just being honest... no reason for them not to speak freely... theyre musicians not politicians

its the responsibility of the writer not to paint them as assholes... which i guess depends on your opinion of BOH anyways... i like BOH and i still hate their new album
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    exactly...that's how my friends and i talk to each other. they didn't write it they were just being themselves.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    More UK Dates;

28-Oct Scotland Glasgow Academy

30-Oct UK Newcastle Academy

31-Oct UK Leeds Academy

2-Nov UK London Brixton 02 Academy

6-Nov UK Liverpool Academy

7-Nov UK Bournemouth Academy

Also a Toronto show added as well i think
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    does anyone know where i can d/l the cover of i'm glad by the BK's? i have d/l it but it won't sync to my ipod as it's only a mp3 stream and the free d/l finished in 2008 apparently. Thanks.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Someone pointed this cool fact out about the "Brothers" cd. When you take the actual cd out, it's all black, but when you put it in your cd played and let it heat up it turns all white with black lettering. Cool it off and it for a few mins. and it's all black again. Pretty awesome!

That freaked my ass out. I was showing my daughter the funny way they titled the songs... and holy shit I couldnt read a work of it!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Love this band. DIscovered them by randomly buying their EP 'Chulahoma' because the cover is just bad-fuckin'-ass.

Seein' them on June 2nd in SLC. Got my name on the guest list. 8-)

My name is not on the guest list, but my wife and I will be joining you for the event. Will be trying for a wall table if we get in line early enough.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Pretty f'n awesome! I still remember Macarren Pool, Brooklyn on 8/6/08. That was a pretty sweet 24hrs.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    they are t..............................h..............................................i.....................................s awesome. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    rb115565rb115565 Posts: 222
    The new album is very good
    5/30/03 9/2/05 9/4/05 9/5/05 7/22/06 7/23/06 9/21/09 9/22/09 9/21/11 9/22/11
  • Options
    OffHeGoes132OffHeGoes132 Posts: 594
    Zoso wrote:
    does anyone know where i can d/l the cover of i'm glad by the BK's? i have d/l it but it won't sync to my ipod as it's only a mp3 stream and the free d/l finished in 2008 apparently. Thanks.

Ditto! I would like to have this cover as well. I remember hearing that they covered this tune but was never able to locate a download. Thanks!
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    just got a ticket to see them with the whigs in NOLA in sept.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    anyome catch them last night on letterman?? so much awesomeness going on... they have a new sound but it's not really different just a fresh sound seeing they couldn't be that garage blues rock thing forever. if KOL wanted a new fresh sound this is how they should of done it instead of making sex on fire :(

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,245
    Zoso wrote:
    anyome catch them last night on letterman?? so much awesomeness going on... they have a new sound but it's not really different just a fresh sound seeing they couldn't be that garage blues rock thing forever. if KOL wanted a new fresh sound this is how they should of done it instead of making sex on fire :(

I love the Black Keys, but Brothers is not even close to what made me love the Keys. I completely understand that a band needs to change its sound and discover new impulses they have. After hearing clips of their songs in TV spots, commercials and all over the place, I am completely convinced that this is their "Only by the Night" The Black Keys as we remember them, just like the Kings of Leon that we all loved and remembered are gone.

I still like them, but they are not the same as they once were.
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:

I love the Black Keys, but Brothers is not even close to what made me love the Keys. I completely understand that a band needs to change its sound and discover new impulses they have. After hearing clips of their songs in TV spots, commercials and all over the place, I am completely convinced that this is their "Only by the Night" The Black Keys as we remember them, just like the Kings of Leon that we all loved and remembered are gone.

you have to remember all bands have to change for the worst (KOL) or for better and i think the black keys couldn't release rubber factory's all their career. I think this is very fresh, soulful while staying true to their original sound. Unlike KOL I think brothers still rocks. Don't worry the black keys will never release anything close to as poppy as the newer KOL stuff. They will never play in arena's thats for sure.

• Options
    OffHeGoes132OffHeGoes132 Posts: 594
    Zoso wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

you have to remember all bands have to change for the worst (KOL) or for better and i think the black keys couldn't release rubber factory's all their career. I think this is very fresh, soulful while staying true to their original sound. Unlike KOL I think brothers still rocks. Don't worry the black keys will never release anything close to as poppy as the newer KOL stuff. They will never play in arena's thats for sure.

Totally agree with you here. Brothers sounds very fresh to me and a welcome change of pace without comprimising their integrity. I've never really been in to KOL, but I can't stand hearing Use Somebody...IMO everything I've heard of their latest is awful. Only my opinion though.

PS Sinister Kid is one bad ass fucking tune. And the vocals on The Only One are gorgeous.
  • Options
    Sinister Kid is my favorite for sure. Great groove.

I've been a fan since the beginning and am happy with every change that have made. Letterman performance was great, so was Dave actually (always is). I can't wait to hear the new tracks live with the keyboardist and bass playing too...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    Tighten Up played on Letterman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKkFHVideF8
    I love this band !!!
  • Options
    Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    IGotShit76 wrote:
    Tighten Up played on Letterman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKkFHVideF8
    I love this band !!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    I cant get over just how much that I love this band. I've gotten almost all of their stuff in the past month. There first albums that are dirty, garage sounding and the last 2 more produced albums are all freaking incredible!!!!!!!

I've heard of them for a while but never gave them a listen for whatever reason until now. Idiot!
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I've heard of them for a while but never gave them a listen for whatever reason until now. Idiot!
    Don't you hate it when that happens.....I'm especially guilty of that with the Driveby Truckers, which I'll be seeing Saturday!! WOOHOO!!!
    AS for the keys....I was late to that party to but had not really heard much about them so I had not really shunned them and I'm looking forward to seeing them with KoL in September.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,962
    Saw them last night in philly at Penn's Landing (River Stage). They were great. Pretty cool place as well. Played a lot of stuff off "Brothers" which sounded awesome. Unfortunately I realized I left my battery for my camera in the charger at home and forgot to take it out. So i had a camera with me, but no battery. duh.gif
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    In case someone wants the July 28th show, there is a link on the nytaper site:
    http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=3720
  • Options
    gecko wrote:
    In case someone wants the July 28th show, there is a link on the nytaper site:
    http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=3720
    Thanks...downloading now. Looking forward to seeing them in September....it would be nice if KoL would hand over the headlining spot for that one night.... :D
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    brothers is their best IMO

still bummed the sound was horrible when i saw them live.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    Loved them at the Garden. Can't wait to get home and download that link!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Black keys are unstoppable.

I've let two of my friends that listen to mostly rap hear them and they thought they were dope. That means something...

As far as modern rock bands are concerned, the black keys are the best. For me they are the only modern rock band that I can always go back to.

You can't knock on the blues, that's all I gotta say.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,892
    never heard them play. However, trusting PJ's taste in music in general, if they toured with the boys then its worth it to go to a show. So I am , this friday. Outdoor venue, very small and intimate. looking forward to this!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14