Options

The Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    inmytree wrote:
    mb262200 wrote:
    I think it's pretty easy to sit here and say you're all against it. I wonder how many would feel differently if say maybe, your young daughter was raped and murdered by some psycho. I think if someone can be accused through DNA evidence so the courts know that they have the right guy for a crime like this, fuckem.......put the fucker to sleep....for good. I don't need my tax dollars supporting this fucker.

Also, I find it strange how many liberals are against capital punishment but yet still support abortion. Some of you people really make no sense.

I have to say, I'm with MB on this one...(minus the liberal jab)

I guess I'm a heartless bastard as I think there are some who crimes warrant the death penalty...

unfortunatley, the tax dollar issue to SUPPORT the death penalty is completely false. It actually takes more tax dollars to execute someone than it does to keep them in prison for their natural life. That's an indisputable fact.

And I could care less about my tax dollars when we are talking about killing someone. It's just not right. I'm not religious, at ALL, but if there is someone out there who judges us in the end, it's not US. We don't get to choose who lives or dies in this life. It's wrong. It's criminal. The US is, if I'm not mistaken, the only "free" first world nation that still does it. It's barbaric. I don't give a shit how it's done, it's still barbaric to kill someone in the name of justice.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    my punctuation??? please explain that one. the first five words of my question were.. where do we stand on... and my last four words were.. do they deserve life???? not dont they deserve life??? if your comprehension skills are lacking thats not my problem. all steve had to do is ask me but instead he asked an accusatory question and questioned my logic.

easy, Cate, easy. But asking "do they deserve life?????" with that many question marks tells me that you are insinuating they DON'T deserve life. Again, I said I was glad we misread you. My comprehension skills are just fine, thanks.

No need to get nasty about it. Jeez.

this is not me nasty. trust me on that. and i use multiple question marks cause one gets lonely. its a quirk thats all.

fine, you weren't being as nasty as you could have been, but there's no need to insult me. it demeans you and your arguments.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Byrnzie wrote:
    O.k, so everyone except you.

As for violent resistance against occupation and the death penalty, maybe you can explain to me how they are the same thing?

They are not the same thing ... That was an example to illustrate the dangers of making assumptions. People could have asked what she meant by the question. I admire people like Starfall who retain their moral compass even in the face of massive tragedy, but many people probably cannot accurately state that their feelings on this sort of an issue would NEVER change.
  • Options
    unfortunatley, the tax dollar issue to SUPPORT the death penalty is completely false. It actually takes more tax dollars to execute someone than it does to keep them in prison for their natural life. That's an indisputable fact.

Just to play Devil's advocate for a moment, do you have stats to back that up? Seems counterintuitive, although I've heard that argument before. Execution is expensive due to all the appeals and the associated processes?
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    inmytree wrote:
    mb262200 wrote:
    I think it's pretty easy to sit here and say you're all against it. I wonder how many would feel differently if say maybe, your young daughter was raped and murdered by some psycho. I think if someone can be accused through DNA evidence so the courts know that they have the right guy for a crime like this, fuckem.......put the fucker to sleep....for good. I don't need my tax dollars supporting this fucker.

Also, I find it strange how many liberals are against capital punishment but yet still support abortion. Some of you people really make no sense.

I have to say, I'm with MB on this one...(minus the liberal jab)

I guess I'm a heartless bastard as I think there are some who crimes warrant the death penalty...

And I could care less about my tax dollars when we are talking about killing someone. It's just not right. I'm not religious, at ALL, but if there is someone out there who judges us in the end, it's not US. We don't get to choose who lives or dies in this life. It's wrong. It's criminal. The US is, if I'm not mistaken, the only "free" first world nation that still does it. It's barbaric. I don't give a shit how it's done, it's still barbaric to kill someone in the name of justice.

for the record, the tax dollar thing is not an issue for me...I just happen to think the d.p. is warranted in some cases...
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    inmytree wrote:
    for the record, the tax dollar thing is not an issue for me...I just happen to think the d.p. is warranted in some cases...

Why?
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    inmytree wrote:

Why?

because...
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    this is not me nasty. trust me on that. and i use multiple question marks cause one gets lonely. its a quirk thats all.

fine, you weren't being as nasty as you could have been, but there's no need to insult me. it demeans you and your arguments.

i wasnt nasty at all.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    If you try to explain the death penalty to a child, their innocence being true sight, they do not understand.
    This concept of killing a human being because that human being killed another human being and we do so because killing a human being is wrong. So if it is wrong to kill a human being then the punishment of killing a human being is wrong.
    Follow? ( I use more than 1 ? when I'm confused) am I a bit confusing??
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Byrnzie wrote:

As for violent resistance against occupation and the death penalty, maybe you can explain to me how they are the same thing?

They are not the same thing ... That was an example to illustrate the dangers of making assumptions. People could have asked what she meant by the question. I admire people like Starfall who retain their moral compass even in the face of massive tragedy, but many people probably cannot accurately state that their feelings on this sort of an issue would NEVER change.

No one can ever know for sure that their feelings on ANY issue would NEVER change. Feelings are complicated like that. That doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to make laws based on we believe to be right and wrong.

Also, I admire Starfall as well. And there are many other people out there who have experienced similar tragedy and are still against the death penalty.
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

Okay, let's say some crimes do warrant the death penalty. How do you reconcile the possibility that the wrong person could be convicted of the crime?
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    No one can ever know for sure that their feelings on ANY issue would NEVER change. Feelings are complicated like that. That doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to make laws based on we believe to be right and wrong.

Agreed. Capital punishment was abolished here quite a while ago and I have no problem with that. I do find it interesting that many polls on the topic show fairly high levels of support for capital punishment, which probably does speak to a pervasive perceived need for revenge in society. Not a great state of affairs, although I can also sympathize with victims whose lives are ruined by psychopaths (and I am not using the term psychopath as a catch-all term for murderers in general ... I mean that small subset of criminals who probably cannot be rehabilitated).
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

:roll:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

Just to play Devil's advocate for a moment, do you have stats to back that up? Seems counterintuitive, although I've heard that argument before. Execution is expensive due to all the appeals and the associated processes?

no, I don't, but if my boss wasn't looking over my shoulder, I could surely find some. I read the actual stats a long time ago. yes, it is the endless appeals process and all that is involved with making sure the person is indeed guilty before they get executed. I'm sure the actual act of the execution is fairly cheap.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    inmytree wrote:

Okay, let's say some crimes do warrant the death penalty. How do you reconcile the possibility that the wrong person could be convicted of the crime?

exactly. you can never know. even DNA isn't the be all end all in all cases. What if someone who was raped and murdered by a total stranger was found to only have one type of semen in them (their boyfriend or lover), so that person was convicted of the crime, all because the rapist/murderer wore a condom? The boyfriend has "defensive" wounds on him because he and his woman liked to get rough?

Think about it. Unless it's caught on video, there's NO WAY to be 100% certain that someone is guilty.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I think I find the moral arguments against the death penalty more convincing than the "possibility of a mistake" argument. I agree that mistakes are possible, but they are also possible in terms of people getting life sentences, and one might argue that the endless appeals process actually makes mistakes less likely in capital punishment cases as compared to life prison sentences. I have no stats to back that up, but I'd wonder. Obviously it would be horrible to execute the wrong person, but its also horrible to confine an innocent person to prison for life, and maybe its better to just concede that state-sanctioned executions are horrible from a moral standpoint, period?
  • Options
    I think I find the moral arguments against the death penalty more convincing than the "possibility of a mistake" argument. I agree that mistakes are possible, but they are also possible in terms of people getting life sentences, and one might argue that the endless appeals process actually makes mistakes less likely in capital punishment cases as compared to life prison sentences. I have no stats to back that up, but I'd wonder. Obviously it would be horrible to execute the wrong person, but its also horrible to confine an innocent person to prison for life, and maybe its better to just concede that state-sanctioned executions are horrible from a moral standpoint, period?

The difference is that life sentences are reversible; death is not. I agree that the immorality of it should be enough to convince us to not do it, but for some people it's not.
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    inmytree wrote:

ok...few years ago, I was in a training for work, a police officer told a story of a murder that happened locally a several years ago...a truck driver picked up a working girl, without getting too graphic, he reached up inside her a pulled her guts out...I'm not making this up...

that's the sort of fucker that deserves the death penalty...

other upstanding folks that come to mind are high profile bastards like J.W. Gacy or Dalmer...or that guy in Cleveland who had the dead bodies all over his house...
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    The difference is that life sentences are reversible; death is not. I agree that the immorality of it should be enough to convince us to not do it, but for some people it's not.

Yes and no ... Obviously death has more than a little finality to it, but someone's life can be utterly ruined by a life sentence that does not get overturned quickly enough. I will concede that at least a life sentence does afford the opportunity, though.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    inmytree wrote:
    scb wrote:
    inmytree wrote:

ok...few years ago, I was in a training for work, a police officer told a story of a murder that happened locally a several years ago...a truck driver picked up a working girl, without getting too graphic, he reached up inside her a pulled her guts out...I'm not making this up...

other upstanding folks that come to mind are high profile bastards like J.W. Gacy or Dalmer...or that guy in Cleveland who had the dead bodies all over his house...

I understand what you're saying and even though I'm against the death penalty I felt no loss to the likes of ......

Russian The Butcher Of Rustov: Andrei Romanovich Chikatilo and then one of the most haunting movies I've ever seen in Citizen X (1995) it stayed with me for days. :shock:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    g under p wrote:
    I understand what you're saying and even though I'm against the death penalty I felt no loss to the likes of ......

Russian The Butcher Of Rustov: Andrei Romanovich Chikatilo and then one of the most haunting movies I've ever seen in Citizen X (1995) it stayed with me for days. :shock:

Peace

I dont know the credibility behind it (wikipedia), but the irony here is that the wrong man was executed in Russia for one of that guys murders! Yikes!

I dont' really like the death penalty, but this russian pig and the likes of gacy and Dahmer shouldnt live in this world.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

Also, I admire Starfall as well. And there are many other people out there who have experienced similar tragedy and are still against the death penalty.
    there's a very good website out there that opposes the death penalty. they campaign on behalf of murder victims and their families.

their aim is "to put real faces on victim opposition to the death penalty by presenting photos and statements from survivors throughout the United States and around the world, along with photos of the murder victim and links to further information."

these a real people, real stories. absolutely heartbreaking. these people know what it's like to lose someone they loved very much, and they are completely against the death penalty.

http://www.mvfhr.org/victims-stories
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    scb wrote:
    inmytree wrote:

Okay :? .... that was like the opposite of answering my question. :?

Let me rephrase: While certainly pulling out a prostitute's guts is an absolutely heinous crime (and I could tell you plenty more stories as well), what if it was our good truck-driving friend Speedy who was (wrongfully, of course) convicted of this crime? Should he be murdered by the state?
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    inmytree wrote:

Why?

because...

Because what?
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    If you try to explain the death penalty to a child, their innocence being true sight, they do not understand.
    This concept of killing a human being because that human being killed another human being and we do so because killing a human being is wrong. So if it is wrong to kill a human being then the punishment of killing a human being is wrong.

Murder the murderer.
  • Options
    Funny thing is, the same government that takes a moral high ground and acts like God by murdering it's own citizens in the name of 'justice', is also guilty of murdering over 1 million Iraqi's in an illegal occupation which continues as we speak.

Every day soldiers return home from Iraq and are treated like heroes, yet many of these people have just been murdering unarmed men, women and children.
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Funny thing is, the same government that takes a moral high ground and acts like God by murdering it's own citizens in the name of 'justice', is also guilty of murdering over 1 million Iraqi's in an illegal occupation which continues as we speak.

Every day soldiers return home from Iraq and are treated like heroes, yet many of these people have just been murdering unarmed men, women and children.

too bad you have so little trust in the individual soldiers who fight every day. MANY as you put it do not murder unarmed women and children. That is a ridiculous overstatement that you should take back. If you cannot see the difference in what a soldier does and what a murderer does than I feel sorry for you.

Seems like you and I disagree on a lot of stuff, I really am not trying to be difficult with you or anything. Just so I can get to know where you are coming from a little bit, are you a sociology major by any chance? Not making fun of that in anyway, I am one too. Just seems like you have a mind for the social sciences
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
    Perhaps your comments are a little closer to the truth than the other posters', but in my mind, at some point or in such matters, all these things break down into reasons and justifications for killing.. which directly or indirectly...and both are crimes.. merely different degrees of the same wrong doing.
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    too bad you have so little trust in the individual soldiers who fight every day. MANY as you put it do not murder unarmed women and children. That is a ridiculous overstatement that you should take back. If you cannot see the difference in what a soldier does and what a murderer does than I feel sorry for you.

Seems like you and I disagree on a lot of stuff, I really am not trying to be difficult with you or anything. Just so I can get to know where you are coming from a little bit, are you a sociology major by any chance? Not making fun of that in anyway, I am one too. Just seems like you have a mind for the social sciences
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • Options
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

I'm not saying all the troops have behaved this way, but a fair percentage have. Just trying to place some perspective here is all.

And I'm a philosophy major.
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    FiveB247x wrote:
    Perhaps your comments are a little closer to the truth than the other posters', but in my mind, at some point or in such matters, all these things break down into reasons and justifications for killing.. which directly or indirectly...and both are crimes.. merely different degrees of the same wrong doing.
    mikepegg44 wrote:

understandable but than is there ever a justified killing? I happen to think so, but how about you?

If someone tries to kill you than you fight back.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
This discussion has been closed.