What's your best PJ moment?

Comments

• Slow MoeSlow Moe Posts: 87
    Mookie25 wrote:
    WOW! This is harder than picking a favorite album or favorite song. I will have to post my top three...
    1. First time I saw PJ live (Toledo, OH 1996)
    2. VIC show
    3. London, ON 2005 (caught Stone’s pick)

Your #2 was also mine, Mookie25. That was my favorite show - just a fantastic day/night. Only low point was when Ed sang that Loser's Ode to Wrigley Field ... (also known as the restroom break).
    Wrigley Field (Chicago) 7/19/13, Pacific Coliseum (Vancouver) 9/25/11, ScottTrade Center (St. Louis) 5/4/10, Sprint Center (KC) 5/3/10, Wachovia Spectrum Arena (Philadelphia) - 10/31/09, Key Arena (Seattle) - 9/22/09, Key Arena (Seattle) - 9/21/09, United Center (Chicago) - 8/24/09, United Center (Chicago) - 8/23/09, Colonial Center (Columbia, SC) - 6/16/08, The Vic Theatre (Chicago) - 8/02/07, Pepsi Center (Denver) - 7/02/06

Actually come to think of it, I just might be a puddle full of detriment.
  • The best moment? When the entire band walked out on stage at my first show in 1993. Never had I been more excited about anything than that exact moment.
  • RGarabed21RGarabed21 Posts: 467
    When Stone started playing the first couple notes of HOLD ON at Philly 3...i consider myself a man but I damn near started crying :lol:
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.
  • ItsOK921ItsOK921 Posts: 169
    RGarabed21 wrote:
    When Stone started playing the first couple notes of HOLD ON at Philly 3...i consider myself a man but I damn near started crying :lol:

Just listened to that audience recording. The one show I wish I could relive again.
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    Flew from Toronto to Italy. Heard "Breath" for the first time in Pistoia. Can't beat that for me.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• silver39silver39 Posts: 1,346
    Meeting Mike, Matt & Jeff on my birthday in San Diego last year :D:D:D
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • loki34loki34 Posts: 111
    Getting the upgrade at the Baltimore Ed solo show from the balcony to front row damn near center. Then to have him walk directly in front of me to hand out a pick only to wave me off and give it to my wife.

Or it could be winning the lottery at Chicago 2 in 09. My wife and I went in early to watch Bad Religion and I tried to be discreit about pointing Mike out on the side of the stage only for him to notice me pointing and made a face and waved. During Porch he came over to Stones side of the stage, looked at us and showered us with picks.
    "Billy Joel, Dave Matthews and Bon Jovi, who the f**k starts these rumors. And we don't need those f**ckin guy cause you got me!" EV Philly 4
  • jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    My first concert in 2000 is the beat moment so far, I'd never before or since seen a live band on par with these guys.
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    Seeing PJ at the Beacon was pretty cool (small 80-year old theater, acoustic set, Undone, Masters of War, Harvest Moon, Low Light, Sleight of Hand)

Ace Frehley joining the band for a killer Black Diamond at MSG2 in 2008

Philly 3 was probably the best -- so many songs from my perfect set list (Deep, Breath, parting ways, Off he goes, untitled/MFC, Tremor Christ, in my tree) -- And "Hold on" was sick.
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • High fiving at Ed at the Boston show on 6/30/08. It was during Alive and to walk over to our side of the stage. Slapped hands with several fans, me included, then he grabbed the beer from the dude next to me, took a swig and gave it back. Awesome stuff.

Betterman from Boston 6/28/08 was pretty awesome too.

Oh---and the War tag at the 2nd Boston show in 2004.
  • btyman11btyman11 Posts: 13
    Randalls Island,NY Night 1. Just as whipping started the sickest downpour had just started. As the song got more intense, so did the rain. Just a pretty sick memory I have of that night. Unreal.
  • CC219908CC219908 Posts: 4
    Randalls Island'96 hearing eddie tell the crowd its the first time they're gonna try and play these two new songs, Present Tense and Off He Goes!! That's living!!!
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    I have so many - I've been so lucky to be at so many incredible shows but I always go back to barrie - being stuck in this dust bowl of a pit nose to back with everybody around me when they broke into I Got Shit - which just always moves me beyond - and for the length of that song everything just stopped but me and the music - I completely went into the zone and looked up and everything else seemed to just disappear and I just felt every note - and I looked over at some young guy with dreads beside me dancing and he was in the exact same place that I was - and we gave each other a 2 second look of "WOW -CAN YOU JUST BELIEVE IT" and then when it was over it's like the volume of the crowd went up and I was back

I've never experienced anything like that - ever - (well - drug free - ha) and I will always remember those few moments as something completely special that shows the power of music and the power of a song to take you somewhere outside of yourself
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Well, it was a night really. I met an amazing group of Pearl Jam fans (coordinated through this board) AND Ed at a solo performance he did in 2002 at UCLA's All Tomorrows Parties. It was so nice to meet other fans who "get it". We had an unbelievable night, spending a magical time together before, during and after the show. I only wish I could remember what Ed said to me. I do remember he was great, taking time to personally chat with the15-20 fans who were hoping to see him.
    Hey... I remember that. That was the first time I ever met Ed. He was pretty cool to everyone that night and offered to sign something for all of us.
    I seen Ed a couple of times after that... even swapped an Eddie Aikau shirt for a guitar pick. Tossing me that tamborine in Frisco was cool... and the other one in L.A. I kept the one from Frisco... the other went to my friend I was with that night.
    I also had lunch with Stone and Mark (Smith) at the Timberland tree planting at the Dogtown projects in L.A. He was pretty cool.
    Those San Francisco gigs were great in that I'd look down the railing and see the faces of some really cool people. And the day of rehearsals for the VH1 Rock Honors when me and my friend from Buffalo got to meet the entire band. Her face lit up with the sheer look of complete happiness when we met Eddie... he gave us all guitar picks. We also saw Taylor Hawkins and Pete Townshend that day. She's got a great picture of her and Mike.
    But, I guess it has to be that Indio gig in '93 that was the defining moment. That was the thing that changed me from a Nirvana guy to a Pearl Jam guy. I still love Nirvana... but, that gig changed me.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    It would have to be Boston 1 2008. Went to the show by myself. Met up with the Wishlist crew, and I guess the best part was hanging with new friends who had 1.) given me a 10th row ticket, and 2.) seeing their faces and hearing their stories about being backstage, onstage, sidestage, during the show. Zach's infamous 'melting faces' interview with Mike McCready, and hearing all about it from Nixon (the awesome cameraman). They were in awe. Seeing that, it was special, and I wasn't even a part of it. And anyone in section 2 during the beginning of 'Betterman' will never forget that either.

That was SUCH a great night and an underrated show in my opinion. Betterman was the greatest fan response I've ever seen...the band didn't even know what to do. I'll never forget that.

Linds your story aint so bad either kid! hope school's going well and what a treat you have coming once finals are finished!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • I have loved Pearl Jam ever since I first heard Ten in 1992. I have been fortunate in that I have seen them live 37 times now, each show special and full of joy and happiness. My most special moment though was in Vancouver, Canada in September, 2005; during the song "Footsteps" I noticed that Ed was looking at me while he was singing. After the song was finished, Ed walked over and handed me his harmonica!!! I was so surprised! Definitely one of the best moments of my entire life! Thank you Ed and Pearl Jam for all of the magic of life that has come my way through you.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,950
    May 6 2010.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • First show I ever attended. GA. Toronto - Maple Leaf Gardens (I am a huge NHL fan). 3 bodies from the stage on Stone's side. When I think about it, the arena feels as small as my living room. Release opener, Jeff's starting lineup figures on his Amp head.

I never thought I would ever see them. The Ticketmaster debacle was not making it "easier" for fans to see them, even though I agreed with and appreciated the fight, it wasn't like shows and tickets were everywhere.

Definitely my best PJ "moment".

Good thread.
    http://twitter.com/DarthSpacegrass
    Maple Leaf Gardens - Sep 21 - Downing Stadium, Randall's Island - Sep 28,29 1996 Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29 - Continental Arena - Sep 08 - MSG - Sep 10,11 1998 Jones Beach Music Theatre - Aug 24,25 2000 MSG - Jun 25, 2008 United Center - Aug 23,24 - Philly Spectrum - October 28,31 2009 PruCenter - May 18 - MSG - May 20,21 2010
  • btyman11 wrote:
    Randalls Island,NY Night 1. Just as whipping started the sickest downpour had just started. As the song got more intense, so did the rain. Just a pretty sick memory I have of that night. Unreal.
    I remember that! I still try to tell my friends about how it seemed the rain started, stopped or intensified during particular songs like it was part of the show. Of course they think I'm crazy, glad to hear somebody else remembers this!
  • AmyMooreAmyMoore Posts: 140
    pitt12.jpg
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    Love the stories...

My best PJ moment was in November. My boyfriend and I took a road trip down to California. We listened to all 9 studio albums in chronological order in a row. I read all of the lyrics aloud to him as we went along. All we did that entire trip was sit and focus on those songs as they went by. The magnitude of their music and the depth of the lyrics was so powerful and it was touching to see how they've evolved through the years thus far. We felt like we really lived through their lives with them, while listening to the albums in a row like that. I highly recommend it!
  • PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 446
    August 24 2000 the first time I saw them.

After that there's so many I can't even count.

A close second is when my brother introduced them to me in 1996 I was only 12.

20 plus shows later and here i am.

Thanks PJ.
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • smanchacsmanchac Posts: 255
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi6gj7weBKk

This is hard to write, this was my 2nd pearl jam show. 1st show with my brother ( i was 18, he was 13)
    We then went down to kissimee floriad in 2004, for my 11th show (his second, he was only 17 then)

And then when i was at bonnaroo 2008, my 13 show, and pearl jam played a full set, then returned for a 45 minute 2nd encore, and then had an 8 minute break and came back out at nearly 2hrs 45 minutes to play a SMOKIN version of porch , eddie talked for 3 min or so in the bridge, saying, a song can not change the world. wont happen, but this many people (id say 85,000 maybe more) its proven, that WE can change the world. Its proven! And then he said this is the time, can you hear me... and the response was amazing!! watch, its short, and awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVStI-adrl8 Like something out of brave heart when everyone's together, for SOMETHING pearl jam concerts make me do that, feel its the only time, in the whole earth, that i can go somewhere and have everyone, be together, unified for a purpose, everyone feeling the same thing...

And i called my brother druing that song... said can u hear, he said yea! And we talked for a few seconds after the song... said i would call him later, and, being at bonnaroo ya know i didnt call, and he died 2 night later at 21, the night i was in virgini bech, for another pj show, and i tried to call but got no answer...
    '
    So seeing pear jam is always been bittersweet. I am 27, my dad died right after my 1st pearl jam show. So at my next 10 shows, seeing songs like release and off he goes and even nothingman always made me think of my dad, and then i saw bonnaroo 6-14 and va beach 6-17 of 08, and then my bro passes away. I have a pj shirt with the date on it and its the day my bro passes away. So in 09 i go to seatte 2 times, and then for my 20th show, i finally get my mom to go to austin with me (i live in tx) and i was pretty far back before pj came on, and my mom, 48 years old, pushes her way to the front row! left side right by the signer and we had an awesome time. Got a tshirt with that date on it. Get home to get a call her husband had died 2 nights after the pj show..

So i look at the shows not as bad, but as a positive moment in our lives that kind of prepared us for a hard time. I have been to 20 shows (21-22 msg! finally! i did key arena and now msg!) and i cant wait for my next show.

I had a really big heart jump in my chest the 1st time i saw the news about jeff getting mugged, i thought, oh no, did someone in pj pass away??? And i instantly knew right then, this is the reason i travel the country for pearl jam, because we never know what tomorrow brings, and if you pass the opportunity up, you may never get it again. And, as you can see, pearl jams music carrys a big load with me... there for ill say, my best pearl jam moment is every time i hear their music. It has really, truly, changed my life.

Good thread, and thanks for reading. It helps to be honest and not be juged becuse other people get it too.
    2000 10.14 10.15
    2003 4.1 4.3 4.5 4.6 4.8 4.9 4.11 4.13 6.9 6.10
    2004 10.8
    2008 6.14 6.17 6.22
    2009 9.21 9.22 9.25 10.4
    2010 5.18 5.20 5.21
    2012 7.4 7.5 7.7 7.9 7.10 9.30
    2013 7.19 10.21 10.22 10.25 12.4 12.6

35 Shows; 1040 Songs
  • blenderman69blenderman69 Posts: 2,104
    81 wrote:
    I guess it had to be Bugs. :mrgreen:
    +1! history in the making! i knew they would play it that night 8-)
  • smanchac wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi6gj7weBKk

This is hard to write, this was my 2nd pearl jam show. 1st show with my brother ( i was 18, he was 13)
    We then went down to kissimee floriad in 2004, for my 11th show (his second, he was only 17 then)

And then when i was at bonnaroo 2008, my 13 show, and pearl jam played a full set, then returned for a 45 minute 2nd encore, and then had an 8 minute break and came back out at nearly 2hrs 45 minutes to play a SMOKIN version of porch , eddie talked for 3 min or so in the bridge, saying, a song can not change the world. wont happen, but this many people (id say 85,000 maybe more) its proven, that WE can change the world. Its proven! And then he said this is the time, can you hear me... and the response was amazing!! watch, its short, and awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVStI-adrl8 Like something out of brave heart when everyone's together, for SOMETHING pearl jam concerts make me do that, feel its the only time, in the whole earth, that i can go somewhere and have everyone, be together, unified for a purpose, everyone feeling the same thing...

And i called my brother druing that song... said can u hear, he said yea! And we talked for a few seconds after the song... said i would call him later, and, being at bonnaroo ya know i didnt call, and he died 2 night later at 21, the night i was in virgini bech, for another pj show, and i tried to call but got no answer...
    '
    So seeing pear jam is always been bittersweet. I am 27, my dad died right after my 1st pearl jam show. So at my next 10 shows, seeing songs like release and off he goes and even nothingman always made me think of my dad, and then i saw bonnaroo 6-14 and va beach 6-17 of 08, and then my bro passes away. I have a pj shirt with the date on it and its the day my bro passes away. So in 09 i go to seatte 2 times, and then for my 20th show, i finally get my mom to go to austin with me (i live in tx) and i was pretty far back before pj came on, and my mom, 48 years old, pushes her way to the front row! left side right by the signer and we had an awesome time. Got a tshirt with that date on it. Get home to get a call her husband had died 2 nights after the pj show..

So i look at the shows not as bad, but as a positive moment in our lives that kind of prepared us for a hard time. I have been to 20 shows (21-22 msg! finally! i did key arena and now msg!) and i cant wait for my next show.

I had a really big heart jump in my chest the 1st time i saw the news about jeff getting mugged, i thought, oh no, did someone in pj pass away??? And i instantly knew right then, this is the reason i travel the country for pearl jam, because we never know what tomorrow brings, and if you pass the opportunity up, you may never get it again. And, as you can see, pearl jams music carrys a big load with me... there for ill say, my best pearl jam moment is every time i hear their music. It has really, truly, changed my life.

Good thread, and thanks for reading. It helps to be honest and not be juged becuse other people get it too.

Wow dude, that is some story. Pearl Jam, music in general? Wow, what would we do without it? No other art, to me anyways, has that emotional power, to make you feel good, or, to relate too when you don't feel good.
    I'm really sorry to hear about your losses. I lost my cousin and friend, I was 16, she was 15, in Feb. 1992. We went to the same school, same little town, it was brutal. I've never been the same. Pearl Jam didn't save me, but they came at a time in my life where I was reeling and I could relate to the anger and the release that their music provided.
    I remember driving in'95 and Long Road came on the radio and I was passing by her cemetary and I just lost it. But I sung along and felt better for it. Now when I hear that song live, I cry like a little girl but I'm not sad, happy to be there I guess! Like you said, you never know what's gonna happen tomorrow so live it up today.
    Dude, I don't even know what I'm trying to say. I guess is that, you're not alone! Hang in there!
    See you at MSG, that'll be my 20th!
  • I remember when Who You Are came out over the radio before No Code in the summer and just loving life. Great vibe from that, just the right time, best PJ moment ever for me.
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    My best one was the one at DTE Theater Detroit (Pine Knob) 2003. Although it was outside and we were at the very back, I actually was glad we were back there.
    I can list a whole bunch of bad things that happened, like it was 90 degrees when we left my house, ( I live 15 minutes from the venue), and then it rained and was like 65 at the venue. We all were frozen. I bought a T-shirt that was too big and ugly just to try and get warm. It didn't help.
    If we were under the pavillion, we really wouldn't had seen anything, cuz the back seats are too far from the stage but in front of the screen, so those people saw nothing, yet they weren't getting wet. Thye were however crammed in like sardines. We had a nice big area with blankets on the ground and it was nice, plus you could smoke whatever you wanted back there.
    They played songs they normally don't play live. Eddie said they were going to do an experimental show and they did. We went the 2nd night. They were pissed about the first night, 'cuz DTE sold the front ten rows to corporate people who could care less about PJ. They were rude and all. He blasted about them the second night.

Our night was great. And it was my best show. The way the restrooms are set up, you have to go right next to the stage and stand in line to get in. That means you are almost on stage while you wait for the restroom.
    Save room for dessert!
  • smanchacsmanchac Posts: 255
    its nice reading these...
    nudge :)
    2000 10.14 10.15
    2003 4.1 4.3 4.5 4.6 4.8 4.9 4.11 4.13 6.9 6.10
    2004 10.8
    2008 6.14 6.17 6.22
    2009 9.21 9.22 9.25 10.4
    2010 5.18 5.20 5.21
    2012 7.4 7.5 7.7 7.9 7.10 9.30
    2013 7.19 10.21 10.22 10.25 12.4 12.6