Final Fantasy XIII

aspoonfulweighsatonaspoonfulweighsaton Posts: 2,026
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Nerd alert!

:geek:

So I just spent the last hour or so playing it and I must say I'm really enjoying it. Supposedly it doesn't really get good until 10-15 hours into it, so I'm hoping to stick it out and somehow play through it amongst all the other games I'm working on. I actually love the fact that it's more linear and that they didn't put in any stupid mini-games. If it does in fact take 50-60 hours to finish, I want to be clear on what to do next!

Anyone else a fan or picking this up?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Nerd alert!

So I just spent the last hour or so playing it and I must say I'm really enjoying it. Supposedly it doesn't really get good until 10-15 hours into it, so I'm hoping to stick it out and somehow play through it amongst all the other games I'm working on. I actually love the fact that it's more linear and that they didn't put in any stupid mini-games. If it does in fact take 50-60 hours to finish, I want to be clear on what to do next!

It doesn't get good until 10-15 hours in?!?! Holy crap! Who has that kind of time?

Don't get me wrong, I've played (and enjoyed) some Final Fantasy in my day, but I don't think I have that kind of time! :D:lol:
  • arqarq Posts: 8,013
    I miss my free time, i loved to spend hours to make my characters stronger! ooh FF6 you will be forever the best FF ever! :shh:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • My boyfriend is a total FF geek :ugeek:

We need to get an xbox first but yes, we will be getting this... and hopefully soon!

(One of the reasons we still have a PS2 is because of FF... and the reason he has a PSP :roll: :D )
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • I got this yesterday.

Only played it for 2 hours but it seems really easy at the min. Feels like im just pushing 'A' repeatedly.

Looks really nice tho.
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    will be getting it after I beat fable 2 (just started that one)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I don't really play the games anymore but this thread brings back good memories of my addiction to FFVII when it came out :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    I don't really play the games anymore but this thread brings back good memories of my addiction to FFVII when it came out :)

same here...but at least i get to play with the kids on mini ninjas. :lol:
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Nerd alert!

Man, I am hoping to get it soon too.
    I havent played FF since, I think, #6 too. But it looks really good.
    The last one I played ( I cant remember which #) kinda lost me though because it was too complex and the story was allo ver the place. I just wanna hack up some shit and ride a damn chocobo. haha, just kiddin on the chocobo... ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Waiting for my fuckin xbox to come so i can go and play this!
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,572
    Picked it up yesterday after work for the PS3. Got almost 4 hour's worth of game play.

Gameplay is pretty fast & the cgi footage, oh mama! *drools
    Feels like im just pushing 'A' repeatedly.

True! Battle system is pretty easy. Been loving Vanille's whip thingy in battle! :shh:
    ps .. I wonder what the special item we will receive by registering our copy of the game.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Nerd alert!

Should arrive by Friday or Monday.
    I heard the 10-15 hour wait thing too, but I assume if you're into plot and story those 10-15 hours won't be bad unless you play it twice ;)
  • demetrios wrote:
    ps .. I wonder what the special item we will receive by registering our copy of the game.

Supposedly it's a beta key for the FFXIV demo.
    demetrios wrote:

Sweet! Will check it out tonight! :)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I've loved previous FF games but the feedback I'm getting is that they have taken out core RPG elements (party management; exploration; HP/MP management). This seems very anti-FF to me. Can anyone playing the game confirm this?

If they did screw up at least I have all their DS titles and Bioware to fall back on.
    Jason P wrote:
    I've loved previous FF games but the feedback I'm getting is that they have taken out core RPG elements (party management; exploration; HP/MP management). This seems very anti-FF to me. Can anyone playing the game confirm this?

If they did screw up at least I have all their DS titles and Bioware to fall back on.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/05/review-final-fantasy-xiii/
    demetrios wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

You have to find a special 'item' somewhere in the game to get the beta key.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Do you need to have played the other games to have a clue what's going on?? OK for kids?
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Do you need to have played the other games to have a clue what's going on?? OK for kids?
    No, just pay a lot of attention for the first 10-15 hours.

No sure if it's safe for kids. I imagine the language is good, and if you aren't worried about people hacking 'monsters' and bad guys with swords and guns I am assuming it's ok (maybe check the rating, cause I didn't).
    Rygar wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

You have to find a special 'item' somewhere in the game to get the beta key.

I got 2 things. First, a passcode to enter when I buy Final Fantasy 14, I get a secret item when I register for the game weeks before I receive it. More detail about the code & item in the months ahead. Also a code to enter for a chance to be a beta tester for Final Fantasy 14 online on the PC. I'm tempted but don't like playing online games on the PC. I like playing video games & online video games on consoles. I hate the PC gaming with the everchanging upgrading soundcards & videocards. What if my PC doesn't run the best processor etc.. I got a PS3, XBox360 & Wii. What ever game I see in stores or for rental, I don't need to worry about what will work or what hardware I need to play the game without getting any error's.
    I'm praying its good, FF 7,8,9 were epic, 10 was just shit due to all the different characters, i like picking my 3/4. Didn't bother with X-2. FF 11 was okay, the controls were dire though but not a bad MMORPG. FF12 i played for 5 mins and hated the combat system so i just quit.

BUT FF13 looks slightly like its gone back to the old fighting system, i got a feeling I'm wrong but oh well!
    Finished the night a few level's into Cocoon's Ruins. So far, so good.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    demetrios wrote:

I'm having FF flashbacks of old... and I'm trying to figure out if what that one old version of FF is that I used to love. do they all have SHOAT, IFRITI, and CARBUNKLE?! haha. that's all I rememeber.

Tell me more abou this new one? Is the long drawn out begininng just storyline, or do you still get to kill some bastards a little to death?

I'm actually scared to get this new one casue I think i'll shut off reality and resposibility. the videos i've seen look sweet.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    demetrios wrote:

I'm having FF flashbacks of old... and I'm trying to figure out if what that one old version of FF is that I used to love. do they all have SHOAT, IFRITI, and CARBUNKLE?! haha. that's all I rememeber.
    FF3 in North America, FF6 in Japan!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VI
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I picked up FF13 this weekend.

I'm not too far in (only a few hours) and I'm not really sure if I like this game quite yet.

I get what people are saying about it being "linear" (at least it is so far).
    The story is kinda "meh".

I don't know, I think I may have just grown out of the Final Fantasy thing.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I'll be getting this when I get back from my holiday. Can't wait!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Very fun! Battles start of easy but do get more complicated as the game goes on. I do wish they let you explore and level up your characters without having to follow a certain path though. Also, I wish they would go back to the more fantasy aspects of previous games. Most of the enemies are mechanical. I want some dragons, elemental, etc!!

Also, I recommend saving any little scrap that you pick up. Don't sell any of this stuff! I made the mistake of selling most of the loot and didn't realize it would be used to level up weapons and items. When I reached the boss Odin he kicked the shit out of me repeatedly! I ended up starting the game over and saving everything. Odin was still tough even after all the upgrades! I am a few hours past him and he remains the hardest enemy I have fought!

Defintely fun though and the graphics are amazing!! Still not as good as heavy rain though!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    Just completed Final Fantasy XIII! :) It took me 70 hour's to complete. Didn't complete all the side missions, but my character's were pretty much jacked up. Lightning, Snow & Vanille were my main characters up till Chapter 12. Once I got Haste for Hope in the Crystals grid, he came in to replace Vanielle.

Little secret, keep playing repeated huge enemies on the main field of Chapter 11. Each hour got me almost 100,000 crystal points. Will help you down the road, believe me. ;)

Final Fantasy XIII for the PS3 kicked ass. I've played hundreds of games on the Xbox 360, Wii & PS3, and i've seen hundreds of CG animated films & footage, but the amount of detail & quality that was on this game blew my mind. You gotta check it out.

:D
    demetrios wrote:
    Just completed Final Fantasy XIII! :) It took me 70 hour's to complete. Didn't complete all the side missions, but my character's were pretty much jacked up. Lightning, Snow & Vanille were my main characters up till Chapter 12. Once I got Haste for Hope in the Crystals grid, he came in to replace Vanielle.

Little secret, keep playing repeated huge enemies on the main field of Chapter 11. Each hour got me almost 100,000 crystal points. Will help you down the road, believe me. ;)

Final Fantasy XIII for the PS3 kicked ass. I've played hundreds of games on the Xbox 360, Wii & PS3, and i've seen hundreds of CG animated films & footage, but the amount of detail & quality that was on this game blew my mind. You gotta check it out.

:D
    I'm looking forward to finishing this, almost as much as I'm looking forward to getting the disc out of the dead playstation...
    Just finished playing the first 1 hour 10 mins, was really linear and boring. Trying to figure out the fighting system, and i dont think that stagger thing is good. Quite hard to work out whats going on in battle as well, maybe im not just used to it.