Pearl Jam NCAA March Madness Pool -- SIGN UPS CLOSED

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
edited May 2010 in The Porch
After last year's successful PJ NCAA March Madness pool (see the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94102), I have decided to run another pool for the upcoming NCAA tournament. This is one of the great sporting events of the year and it presents an exciting opportunity for another PJ pool.

If you have participated in the Super Bowl pools in the past, the NCAA pool will work a lot of differently. Rather than a board that will be based on the winning score, this time around I want to run a traditional NCAA Bracket pool. That means that each participant will have to fill out a tournament bracket and pick who they think will win each round of games. We will be using Yahoo!s "Tournament Pick 'em" game to conduct our pool. That means that each participant will need to have a Yahoo e-mail address (or create a Yahoo address -- it's free) in order to participate.

I have already created a private group at Yahoo and will provide the league ID and password (via PM) upon completion of the participant list for our pool.

The rules are pretty simple. On Sunday, March 14 the brackets/seedings will be announced. Between that time and the time the first tournament game is played (on Thursday, March 18), each participant will need to fill out his/her bracket on the Yahoo Pick 'Em site. Yahoo will then track how each participant fares as the games are played. We will use a basic scoring system in which every team picked correctly in the first round earns 1 point, each winning team picked correctly in the second round earns 2 points, each winning third round team earns 3 points, etc., up until the final, in which the having picked the winning team will earn the participant 6 points. Of course, all brackets must be filled out in full before the 17th, so the challenge is to have correctly identified at least one of the two teams in the Finals so that you at least have a shot at those 6 points when the game is played.

To make this a Pearl Jam board, the cost of playing will not be money, but rather a Pearl Jam 2000, 2003, 2008, or 2009 official bootleg -- or a PJ item of greater or equal value (please, please, please, no burned copies!!). So, if you are the winner, every other participant will have to send you the Pearl Jam bootleg they pledge in this thread.

Here are some other rules for the game:

1. You must be 18 or over to play!

2. In the case of a tie, winners will split the prizes. Each winner will take turns selecting the item from the list that he/she wants until all have been selected. First choice will be determined by random draw.

3. You MUST pledge an OFFICIAL PJ bootleg when you sign up. That means no burned copies; I want to make this worthwhile for us collectors! If you have another item of equal or greater value that you would like to pledge, you may do so ONLY if you offer it as an alternative to an official bootleg; for example, you may offer "LA 9/30/09 official boot OR Yield vinyl WINNER'S CHOICE", but you may not offer the vinyl itself without the option of an official boot.

The bootleg may be new or used, but it must be in good (playable) condition. Also, only boots that were not commercially released are accepted (for example, please don't pledge State College '03).

Once somebody has pledged a specific boot, please do not repeat the same show. I would prefer that whoever wins gets a variety of different boots, not a number of the same ones.

4. If you enter, you MUST pay up if you lose. As you all know, building a reputation as a reliable person is important on this board -- enough said. Please be committed to sending the boot you pledge to the winner within a week after the game ends.

5. Participants must send me their e-mail and the address that they want their prizes to be sent if they win BEFORE Sunday, March 14. This is simply to ensure that all members are committed to following through with their pledge. I will be in charge of distributing the winner's address to the other participants when the game is over.

8. Sign-ups for the game will end on Saturday, 3/13 or when 25 people sign up (whichever happens first).

If anyone has any problems with these rules, or anything that's need to be added, please let me know.

Here are a list of the participants (will be updated as people sign up):

1. walkunafraid -- Los Angeles, 10/24/00 OFFICIAL BOOT OR Immagine in Cornice new/sealed DVD (Winner's Choice) package received
2. msu jammer -- 2009 Salt Lake City OFFICIAL BOOT package received
3. URthekey -- San Diego 10/09/09 OFFICIAL BOOT package received
4. PJ Fan est. 1990 -- Perth 09 OFFICIAL BOOT package received
5. PNuttyJam -- Katowice 6/16/00 OFFICIAL BOOT package received
6. Up Here In My Tree -- September 21, 2009 - Seattle OFFICIAL BOOT package received
7. lippy002 -- 6-8-00 Paris OFFICIAL BOOT package received
8. mfc2006 -- Bonnaroo 2008 OFFICIAL BOOT WINNER!
9. rrivers -- Philadelphia 9/1/00 OFFICIAL BOOT package received
10. nevmiles - TORONTO, ON (06/28/03) OFFICIAL BOOT package received
11. cw95026 - Melbourne 2/19/03 OFFICIAL BOOT package received
12. AtlantaJammer -- Glasgow, Scotland 6/3/00 OFFICIAL BOOT package received
13. aneutronbomb -- Camden I 08 OFFICIAL BOOT package received
14. Enkidu -- Los Angeles, 10/6/09 OFFICIAL BOOT package received

If you are interested in joining the pool, please post in this thread and indicate which official boot (or other PJ item) you will be putting in to the pot. You will not be added to the list until you indicate the specific boot you would like to pledge. Also, please PM me your e-mail address and the mailing address that you want your prizes to be sent in case you are the winner as soon as possible. I will be updating the list above as boots and names are added.

Thanks.
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,763
    edited March 2010
    I'll be in on this. I'm not very good at Basketball - I promise. ;)

And I'll send out the San Diego 10/09/09 boot. It's a great show.
    Post edited by URthekey on
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    i'm in too

and if Julie wins there will be an investigation ;)
  • msujammermsujammer Posts: 173
    I'm in as long as Julie isn't playing. ;) I will pledge the 2009 Salt Lake City Boot new. Thanks for doing this. I had fun with the Super Bowl board!

EDIT: I'll still play even though Julie is playing...but if she win's I'll be screaming! :D
    11/3/00 Boise 5/28/03 Missoula 6/15/03 Fargo 8/29/05 Missoula 9/4/05 Calgary 7/22/06 Gorge 7/23/06 The Gorge 7/18/08 9/21/09 Seattle 9/22/09 Seattle 5/3/10 Kansas City 9/3/11 Alpine Valley 9/4/11 Alpine Valley 9/30/12 Missoula
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,763
    Dont worry guys I pick my brackets based on the color of team uniforms not on stats. :D
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    bump

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • put me down for another 09 Perth boot
  • PNuttyJamPNuttyJam Posts: 837
    I'm in! Katowice 6/16/00
    http://www.pearljam.com/show/spodek-jun-16-2000

PM sent.
    Mesa I - 11/93 * Toledo - 9/96 * Chicago - 6/98 * St Louis - 7/98 * Indy - 8/98 * St Louis & San Diego - 10/00 * Mt View II - 10/01 * Irvine I & II, San Diego - 6/03 * Chicago I - 5/06 * San Diego & SF III - 7/06 * Lolla - 8/07 * EV Chicago - 8/08 * Chicago I & II - 8/09 * Kansas City & Indy - 5/10 * PJ20 X2 - 9/11 * Atlanta 9/12 * Wrigley Field 7/13 * Moline & Milwaukee 10/14 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/16 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/18 * Ohana Encore I & II 10/21 * EV & The Earthlings Chicago II 2/22
    Won the lottery PJ20 Night 1 - Front Row in front of Jeff - Forever grateful to Ten Club
    ***I wanna live my life with the volume full***
  • In it to win it!

September 21, 2009 - Seattle
  • lippy002lippy002 Posts: 120
    Ill pledge 6-8-00 Paris

As always thanks for setting up!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    Count me in!! I'll pledge my Bonnaroo bootleg! I'll pm you my address in a bit & thanks for setting this up again!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I'm in.

I'll pledge the Philly 9/1/00 boot.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    updated. 9 spots taken, 16 still available. remember to sign up by saturday if interested!

bump

• msujammermsujammer Posts: 173
    Afternoon BUMP
    11/3/00 Boise 5/28/03 Missoula 6/15/03 Fargo 8/29/05 Missoula 9/4/05 Calgary 7/22/06 Gorge 7/23/06 The Gorge 7/18/08 9/21/09 Seattle 9/22/09 Seattle 5/3/10 Kansas City 9/3/11 Alpine Valley 9/4/11 Alpine Valley 9/30/12 Missoula
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    Heck, why not . . . . . count me in.

I'll pledge TORONTO, ON (06/28/03):
    http://www.pearljam.com/show/molson-amphitheatre-jun-28-2003
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • i want to win more prizes...

bump
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    i want to win more prizes...

bump

but we can't BOTH win, can we? ;)

bump
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
    bump for all those who don't have a tour date in their area and need something to get excited about!

bumping one more time. only two days left to sign up.

would love to get up near 20, but if it's only 10, i guess that just increases my chance of winning...

• CW95026CW95026 Posts: 3
    Hey

I'm in. I will pledge the 2/19/03 boot from Melbourne.
    updated. only one more day to go to sign up. if you are already on the list but have not yet sent me your email/home address, please do so asap.

thanks. :)

• AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Im in Paul. Tokyo 2003 boot.

Glad you are up for this again...however, the Tokyo '03 boot was one they released to retail, which we excluded from sign-ups this time. Any chance you can pledge a different boot?

• AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611

Glad you are up for this again...however, the Tokyo '03 boot was one they released to retail, which we excluded from sign-ups this time. Any chance you can pledge a different boot?

I gotta try and defend my title bro. Lets go with Glasgow, Scotland 6/3/00
  • im down

first night camden 08
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • I won this two years ago, thanks for the wonderful loot. And I'd love to win it again but I already have all the boots....so I'd feel bad taking them from you :) But it sure is fun, hope you all enjoy it.
    updated -- sign ups end at 11:59 PM PST tomorrow!

bump....last day to sign up!

• i think the reason this hasn't become as popular as last year is because this has been over shadowed by the tour news...let's hope that now that it has died down slightly, you'll be able to pick up 12 more players
    i think the reason this hasn't become as popular as last year is because this has been over shadowed by the tour news...let's hope that now that it has died down slightly, you'll be able to pick up 12 more players

You're probably right.

On the other hand, we only had 17 last year (and it was still fun as hell), so we're not that far off!