Ice Hockey....

124»

Comments

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    hell fuckin' yes

ice-hockey_3.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Hawkshore wrote:
    I understand where you are coming from I think we have a difference of opinion on the definition of fairweather means.

In the case of Canuck fans they are loyal to the team as evidenced by the ten year sell out streak, yet are sophisticated enough to be critical of the team when they under perform.

As compared to Leaf fans that will show loyalty by also selling out games also but will not speak up about 40 years of shit hockey.

Are we on the same page now???

haha ... did you just say leaf fans are not critical of the leafs!?? ... that is so far from the truth ...
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    hell fuckin' yes

ice-hockey_3.jpg

I had this one for the Sega Master System:

70764589-7576-434f-95ae-fc83cdb722ba.jpg
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Rygar wrote:
    hell fuckin' yes

ice-hockey_3.jpg

I had this one for the Sega Master System:

70764589-7576-434f-95ae-fc83cdb722ba.jpg
    LOL!
    Much better than NHL 2010 lol haha... who was on the box or this one?
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    had this one for SNES as well. i remember the graphics getting a ton of hype with the way the camera angle rotates and what not.

NHL_Stanley_Cup_SNES_ScreenShot2.jpg
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    polaris_x wrote:
    Hawkshore wrote:
    I understand where you are coming from I think we have a difference of opinion on the definition of fairweather means.

In the case of Canuck fans they are loyal to the team as evidenced by the ten year sell out streak, yet are sophisticated enough to be critical of the team when they under perform.

As compared to Leaf fans that will show loyalty by also selling out games also but will not speak up about 40 years of shit hockey.

Are we on the same page now???

haha ... did you just say leaf fans are not critical of the leafs!?? ... that is so far from the truth ...

Ok so what then makes a fan a fairweather fan in your judgment as you choose to label Canuck fans???
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Ok so what then makes a fan a fairweather fan in your judgment as you choose to label Canuck fans???

it means that if you took your canucks fan base

30% are hardcore: support the team regardless
    70% are fairweather: as in they support the team when they are winning and are popular ... if the team shows signs of going pear shape - they abandon the team only to jump back on the bandwagon if they turn it around ...
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    polaris_x wrote:
    Hawkshore wrote:

70% are fairweather: as in they support the team when they are winning and are popular ... if the team shows signs of going pear shape - they abandon the team only to jump back on the bandwagon if they turn it around ...

First off great arbitrary numbers ....but lets play along

So if 70% are jumping off the band wagon in off years how do you get ten years of consecutive sell outs with a few years mixed in of missing the playoffs???
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    Hawkshore wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    Hawkshore wrote:

So if 70% are jumping off the band wagon in off years how do you get ten years of consecutive sell outs with a few years mixed in of missing the playoffs???

those are good percentages compared to lightning/panthers/gators/magic fans down here..i'd say its 10% hardcore and the rest are just douche bags who need an excuse to wear a jersey and get loaded..its a joke
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    IT HAS BEEN DECIDED, AFTER A WEEK OR SO OF THINKING I CAN SAY THAT I AM A ...............

DRUM ROLL....

HABS FAN! :D

Montreal_Canadiens_Jersey.jpg
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    IT HAS BEEN DECIDED, AFTER A WEEK OR SO OF THINKING I CAN SAY THAT I AM A ...............

DRUM ROLL....

Yay!
    Wise choice!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    sorry_CA01.jpg
    haffajappa wrote:
    LOL!
    Much better than NHL 2010 lol haha... who was on the box or this one?
    slap_shot_cover.jpg

I like how in those days they put the genre of games on the cover, lol
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

DRUM ROLL....

good rygar needed a friend..he was lonely

now maybe the habs can get their own thread :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

There was one, as I'm sure you will remember, but was never serious talk outside of me and 'ThankYouGrandma'.
    Hawkshore wrote:

well ... you guys haven't had 10 years of sellouts ... i'd give you probably 5 tho ...

anyways - hockey games are expensive anyways ... most of the seats goto corporate sponsors ... you can't really judge it based on that ... and it's the only ticket in town for major sports aside from maybe MLS ...

look - i don't mean to offend your pride in the team ... i'm going with what my friends in vancouver tell me ... if you disagree - so be it ...
    aww booooo.
    (not louuuuu)
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    every person cheers for teams in which the team style fits there own. I am a flyers fan because i like that they play with skill but also hit people. I tend to call them the most Canadian team not playing in Canada. try to watch different games if you can. I understand that games don't show there alot but see what you can do.
    haffajappa wrote:
    aww booooo.
    (not louuuuu)
    I was saying Boo-urns!
    Rygar wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    aww booooo.
    (not louuuuu)
    I was saying Boo-urns!
    you we'rent saying Boo-urns when Louuuu got the gold!! ;)

DRUM ROLL....

Right On.
    Rygar educate me please, I have no exposure to hockey in Australia other than field hockey which noone here cares about even though we are a champion nation in that sport.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    haffajappa wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    aww booooo.
    (not louuuuu)
    I was saying Boo-urns!
    you we'rent saying Boo-urns when Louuuu got the gold!! ;)
    lol, true but it's back to business now ;)
    Right On.
    Rygar educate me please, I have no exposure to hockey in Australia other than field hockey which noone here cares about even though we are a champion nation in that sport.
    Sport history or team history?

The Canadiens (aka the Habs) were founded in 1909, which predates the existence of the National Hockey League (1917).
    They have won 24 Stanley Cups, the most of any team past or present (Toronto 13 and Detroit 11 coming in second and third, hopefully Detroit doesn't surpass 23 before I'm dead ;)).
    In 1970...something...no, it was the 76-77 season, they set a record for fewest losses in a season - 8 losses in an 80 game season.

One of the reasons the Habs had a good team so often is that until 1967, I think, they had the ability to draft the top two French-Canadian eligible players before anyone else. I just had to look this up - it was 1963 when they stopped this rule, and until then they were able to replace their regular pick with the two French Canadian players before any other team could pick. They also had a habit of trading aging stars for up and coming prospects, which they made quite a few robberies out of.

There is a ton of history in this team, as with a lot of teams. Some highlights:

First time a goaltender used a mask: Nov 1, 1959 Jacques Plante took a shot in the face from Rangers Andy Bathgate and wouldn't come back to the game (after getting 'fixed up') unless he was able to wear a mask. Little known fact: Head coach Toe Blake argued against the mask, and agreed on the basis that Plante remove the mask once his face was healed. According to wikipedia Plante won 18 in a row, took the mask off, lost the next game, and Blake let him wear it from then on...

Five in a row: from 1956-1960 the Habs won five consecutive Stanley Cups.

Feelings of French oppression by the NHL led to the 1955 'Richard Riot' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Riot

The Canadiens are also the last Canadian team to have won the Stanley Cup, back in the glorious year of 1993.
    Between 1948 and 1995 the Canadiens missed the Stanley Cup playoffs once. It is, unfortunately, all too common nowadays!

In what is considered one of the greatest games of all time, Montreal played the Soviet Red Army on New Years Eve 1975, ending in a 3-3 draw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... _Canadiens
    Cool thanks for that :)

My cousin tells me Habs are on a 5 game winning streak?

We looking good for the finals?
    Cool thanks for that :)

My cousin tells me Habs are on a 5 game winning streak?

We looking good for the finals?
    4 game winning streak.
    And no, we aren't ;)
    We're in 7th, 2 points ahead of 8th (the last playoff spot)...and the team we're 2 points ahead of we are playing tonight. If they win we're tied.