Ice Hockey....

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I don't mind this sport, only time I get to watch it is during the Winter Olympics.
We don't have the NHL shown on free to air TV (not even sure if it is on cable).

Having said that, I do not have a team, it is probably the only sport I like where I do not have a team that I support.
Who should I choose as the team I barrack for?

Some points:
My friend here in Melbourne is a mad Detroit Red Wings fan (hmmmm, swaying towards a Canadian team)
I have relatives in Vancouver and in Toronto. (hmmm Vancouver Canucks or Toronto Maple Leafs)

Come on give me a reason why I should go for a team :mrgreen:

I am swinging towards a Canadian team seeing the game originated there and I have family there :mrgreen:
And I have a crush on Canada :mrgreen:

Do I go for a team that has been around most, with most Stanley Cups?

Advertise your team here!
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    Well M, first off, it's just hockey ;):D It's only referred to as Ice Hockey by those that don't play it :ugeek: :lol::lol::lol:

In terms of Canadian teams to cheer for, I may be prejudiced, but I say Vancouver Canucks all the way ;) :P
    Hubby would say Edmonton Oilers :roll: :lol:

Actually we cheer for all three Western teams: Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. That's the joy of moving all over the country, although the strongest ties are to those we've cheered for the longest.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Canucks have not won a Stanley Cup!
    Yeah I read that you all call it Hockey, countries where it is not popular say Ice Hockey.
    Aussies are good at field hockey :mrgreen:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    My Red Wings and hockey mad friend suggests Vancouver over Toronot, Luongo in goals :D
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    don't be a new york rangers fan ..nothing but misery
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • joergjoerg Posts: 123
    yeah go with vancouver or calgary, but please no toronto or new york rangers ;)

for me, first of all come the pittsburgh penguins (and yes, i grew up as a fan of the penguins long before the sidney crosby crazyness) and afterwards every canadian nhl-team.
    ... wind in my hair i feel part of everywhere ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I don't mind this sport, only time I get to watch it is during the Winter Olympics.
    We don't have the NHL shown on free to air TV (not even sure if it is on cable).

Having said that, I do not have a team, it is probably the only sport I like where I do not have a team that I support.

Some points:
    My friend here in Melbourne is a mad Detroit Red Wings fan (hmmmm, swaying towards a Canadian team)
    I have relatives in Vancouver and in Toronto. (hmmm Vancouver Canucks or Toronto Maple Leafs)

I am swinging towards a Canadian team seeing the game originated there and I have family there :mrgreen:

Vancouver
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • WhyGo77WhyGo77 Posts: 113
    don't be a new york rangers fan ..nothing but misery

so true...it's too painful rooting for the NY Rangers. I have been doing it all my life and I suggest going with anybody but!
    "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me..."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine..."
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

Some points:

Go Habs Go!!!

If you pick a Canadian team, please do yourself a favour and steer VERY clear of Toronto ;)
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    cheering for the toronto maple leafs is not a good idea:

1. the last 50 years have been plagued with too much disappointment and disgust
    2. if you're not a leaf fan - you hate leaf fans
    3. they won't make the playoffs this year

although there is some light at the end of the tunnel for us die-hards ... no one is expecting a stanley cup anytime soon ...

if you want to cheer for a canadian team - i would say try the montreal canadians ... they have the most stanley cups and could potentially make the playoffs this year ... also - they always put in a good run if they make the playoffs ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    cheering for the toronto maple leafs is not a good idea:

1. the last 50 years have been plagued with too much disappointment and disgust
    2. if you're not a leaf fan - you hate leaf fans
    3. they won't make the playoffs this year

although there is some light at the end of the tunnel for us die-hards ... no one is expecting a stanley cup anytime soon ...

if you want to cheer for a canadian team - i would say try the montreal canadians ... they have the most stanley cups and could potentially make the playoffs this year ... also - they always put in a good run if they make the playoffs ...
    Endorsement from a Leafs fan???
    2kba58f20bbe.jpg
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Chicago, Washington and Pittsburgh are fun teams to watch play. Good skill level and usually uptempo games.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,826
    Jump on the Blackhawks bandwagon!!! Extremely talented and fun team to watch...
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Rygar wrote:
    2kba58f20bbe.jpg

hey ... if the leafs are out ... i cheer for canadian teams next ... people can hate us in toronto but we got better things to do than hate on other canadian cities ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

hey ... if the leafs are out ... i cheer for canadian teams next ... people can hate us in toronto but we got better things to do than hate on other canadian cities ...
    Hate on a city no, hate on a city's team, hell yes ;)

Although I would like you to win some games, keep Boston's #1 pick from being too good...
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    fuck canada

i am a wings fan that grew up in detroit across the street from canada. i hate them.

i also live in orlando and hang in melbourne a lot so if you want to be cool in florida you root for the wings 8-)
    jones wrote:
    fuck canada

i am a wings fan that grew up in detroit across the street from canada. i hate them.

i also live in orlando and hang in melbourne a lot so if you want to be cool in florida you root for the wings 8-)
    You hate Canada?
    Rygar wrote:
    jones wrote:
    fuck canada

You hate Canada?
    windsor yes. they tried to stab me.
    and i hate the maple leafs. but i love the city toronto and a friend from school plays on the canucks so i don't hate all of canada :D
    jones wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    jones wrote:
    fuck canada

You hate Canada?
    and i hate the maple leafs. but i love the city toronto and a friend from school plays on the canucks so i don't hate all of canada :D
    Oh, well I guess I won't post pictures of gold medals in that case ;)

So if you're making fun of Windsor I'm guessing you aren't really from Detroit.
    yes i'm from detroit. i always went to windsor to drink when i turned 19. why wouldn't i make fun of windsor? canada is gay ay?
    jones wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    jones wrote:
    fuck canada

You hate Canada?

Really, your judging an entire city from a bad experience you had, amazing. I see the news coming out of Detroit, now there's a wonderful city, or are they now the armpit of America or is that still Cleveland or Buffalo, I'm sure it's one of those 3. I really doubt anybody from Detroit has a right to judge any Canadian city.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

jones wrote:
    yes i'm from detroit. i always went to windsor to drink when i turned 19. why wouldn't i make fun of windsor? canada is gay ay?

Canada can't be to bad, we didn't make the legal drinking age 21 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: .

oh relax everyone. just pokin fun. i promise. :D

i have it so bad these days. michigan football, pistons, the lions. wings struggling to maintain the 8th seed. i should be able to say whatever i want.
    and when i say fuck canada its in a south park voice so i deem it acceptable ;)
    jones wrote:
    Because if you're from Detroit and someone from Windsor tried to stab you, shouldn't you have shot them?

Don't worry, i'm not taking it seriously ;)
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955

Some points:

Definitely VANCOUVER! :)

nobody likes toronto maple leaf fans, thats reason number 1 to not be a maple leaf fan.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    harford whalers :cry:
    I love to turn you on
    lukin2006 wrote:
    jones wrote:

Canada can't be to bad, we didn't make the legal drinking age 21 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: .
    lol.
    fucking pearl jam pre-party torments of my life... do you know how many ive had to sneak into? My god.
    at least i'm on my way to 22 now.
  • pittsburgh is the new hockey town

yinz should be a pens fan
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
    with hockey any team is capable of winning the cup... you'll see lots of teams who are on a great run and win and the next year are in last place.

canucks haven't won the cup, although they haven't been in the league as long as the leafs. At least we seem to make the playoffs regularly. Plus we have team Canada goalie bobby lou!

I really do wish we'd get a cup already though :oops:
    I can't speak for the leafs but Canucks do great things for the community as well, although i'm sure the leafs must have some sort of equivilent charitable causes...
    pittsburgh is the new hockey town

yinz should be a pens fan

sigh
    haffajappa wrote:
    with hockey any team is capable of winning the cup... you'll see lots of teams who are on a great run and win and the next year are in last place.

canucks haven't won the cup, although they haven't been in the league as long as the leafs. At least we seem to make the playoffs regularly. Plus we have team Canada goalie bobby lou!

I really do wish we'd get a cup already though :oops:
    I can't speak for the leafs but Canucks do great things for the community as well, although i'm sure the leafs must have some sort of equivilent charitable causes...

I think its going to be Pittsburgh vs. Vancouver final. Washington's goaltending is questionable, New Jersey will fade away in the playoffs and Buffalo has great goaltending not sure if they are deep enough. San Jose will choke again, Chicago needs to figure out it's goaltending, Detroit who is just starting to get all its players back might just wear themselves out making the playoffs, I expect them to win at least 1 series, but if they don't have home ice for at least one series it will be tough. To me Pitt and Van seem to be deep enough with above average goaltending. I will be rooting for the Canucks, I'd like to see the CUP return to home soil.