Orlando SeaWorld Worker Killed by Whale

124»

Comments

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    An article I just read said Tilikum grabbed the trainer's ponytail and dragged her under the water...and was so aggressive rescuers couldn't jump in to save her...and they had to get Tilikum into a smaller pool then lift him out of the water to retrieve her body from his jaws!! Fuck that! I also read that the trainers were apparently barred from swimming in the water with him anyway and could only stand on platforms. Scary shit!

Let that be a lesson to all you women out there who think ponytails are harmless.

The more you know...

I was kinda picturing him grabbing her in his mouth and throwing her around a bit out of the water first and then going under the water....definitely wasn't picturing the killer whale grabbing her by the ponytail! :?

Boys always grab the ponytail of the girl they have a crush on. Of course, this whale was probably a little like the guy from Of Mice and Men, and just squeezed the rabbit a little too hard.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • rustyrails wrote:
    wow... what a bunch of insensitive pricks some of you are. Lady loses her life doing something she loves and you act like she deserves it!? It's fine if you think Seaworld is wrong but wishing physical harm on their employees is F'd up...and wanting to see it happen is F'd up too!

And while zoos seem wrong there are good points to them too. A lot of kids get inspired to get involved in conservation and wildlife biology because of zoos, because it's the only way they will get to see these animals. They are also a good way to preseve the genetic library and many zoos are releasing raised animals back to the wild..the San Diego Zoo has done a lot of that here in Hawaii. Zoos are evidence of the failure of conservation, they are the last place to go for a lot of species, of course it would be better to donate your money to keeping these animals in the wild but for a lot of species it's too late. And there is an interesing commentary on zoos in the fiction "The Life of Pi" that supports zoos and states that animals are actually very content there...not sure I believe that but it's a perspective anyway.

ziggy didn't want to see it, I believe, out of any morbid curiosity, I would just call it being interested in wildlife behaviour. nature vs man. I don't have an issue with that.

Like we said at the time, if you're interested in wildlife behaviour, watch a documentary. Wanting to watch footage of this is disrespectful to the woman who lost her life prematurely.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I was kinda picturing him grabbing her in his mouth and throwing her around a bit out of the water first and then going under the water....definitely wasn't picturing the killer whale grabbing her by the ponytail! :?

A wildlife documentary would have informed you that such an animal will go for any bit of the body that is close and that they can grab. Should a whale be grabbing a seal, it may be the tail, a flipper, etc., especially if this bit of the body brushes against the whale's nose. When one sees these images, one can easily extrapolate to the sad event of the trainer's death.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    redrock wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

A wildlife documentary would have informed you that such an animal will go for any bit of the body that is close and that they can grab. Should a whale be grabbing a seal, it may be the tail, a flipper, etc., especially if this bit of the body brushes against the whale's nose. When one sees these images, one can easily extrapolate to the sad event of the trainer's death.

Early reports said the whale had the trainer "in his jaws" and her shoe fell off with the feriocity of the attack....this is why I was visualising something a bit more dramatic than the whale grabbing her ponytail and taking her straight under the water.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Early reports said the whale had the trainer "in his jaws" and her shoe fell off with the feriocity of the attack....this is why I was visualising something a bit more dramatic than the whale grabbing her ponytail and taking her straight under the water.

Morbid fascination in watching the woman being thrashed around, much?

Does it really matter where the whale grabbed her? I have no idea what the dramatics or her shoe falling off have to do with the study of whale baheviour... The fact is he grabbed her, she died. End of story. Grow up and stop trying to use the guise of it being 'interesting' to excuse your childish behaviour.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I saw the "tricks" and really had no idea the interaction between trainer and whale seeing I don't go to shows like that but I think Tillicum was just playing and now she's gone. They say they are very intelligent I hope he doesn't know enough to miss her.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    what i find interesting about this death...others always say "they died doing what they love to do".

I love riding my bicycle.......i would not love dying,while on my bike.
    i love teaching math..........i would not love dying,while teaching math.
    i love kayaking................i would not love dying, while kayaking.
    i love hiking in deserts/mountains..........i would not love dying in deserts/mountains.

i may be incorrect here.......but i highly doubt she was underwater thinking "wow, now this is the way to die!"
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    pandora wrote:
    I saw the "tricks" and really had no idea the interaction between trainer and whale seeing I don't go to shows like that but I think Tillicum was just playing and now she's gone. They say they are very intelligent I hope he doesn't know enough to miss her.
    nahh....the next person to throw him some fish, will be his best friend.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
    ajedigecko wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    nahh....the next person to throw him some fish, will be his best friend.
    yea and shouldn't those fish be bigger- its like giving your dog a cheerio- I think Killer whales want something bigger
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    rustyrails wrote:
    wow... what a bunch of insensitive pricks some of you are. Lady loses her life doing something she loves and you act like she deserves it!? It's fine if you think Seaworld is wrong but wishing physical harm on their employees is F'd up...and wanting to see it happen is F'd up too!

And while zoos seem wrong there are good points to them too. A lot of kids get inspired to get involved in conservation and wildlife biology because of zoos, because it's the only way they will get to see these animals. They are also a good way to preseve the genetic library and many zoos are releasing raised animals back to the wild..the San Diego Zoo has done a lot of that here in Hawaii. Zoos are evidence of the failure of conservation, they are the last place to go for a lot of species, of course it would be better to donate your money to keeping these animals in the wild but for a lot of species it's too late. And there is an interesing commentary on zoos in the fiction "The Life of Pi" that supports zoos and states that animals are actually very content there...not sure I believe that but it's a perspective anyway.
    Yeah i'm sure animals are very content being locked up in cages and fish bowls :roll:
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    I heard about the transient vs resident orcas as well... actually when i was on a whale watching boat near where Vedderfan lives. I think the guide said that the ones that travel in smaller pods kill bigger prey, and the ones that travel in larger pods feed mainly on fish and are more docile....

Either way orcas are very intelligent animals, and beautiful ones no doubt.
    Unfortunately, too many stupid naive tourists would rather give Seaworld (and other aquariums) money so they can sit there and clap like idiots while an animal is forced to do tricks in front of them.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam

• Morbid fascination in watching the woman being thrashed around, much?

Does it really matter where the whale grabbed her? I have no idea what the dramatics or her shoe falling off have to do with the study of whale baheviour... The fact is he grabbed her, she died. End of story. Grow up and stop trying to use the guise of it being 'interesting' to excuse your childish behaviour.

OUCH. How about stop being so over the top judgmental about it? Dramatic much? People study shit like this all the time. They find animal behaviour fascinating, regardless of the circumstances. If they wanted to show it on the big screen and charge $1 per viewing, selling Orca T shirts, then that might be a different story.

Lighten up. Sheesh.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • rustyrails wrote:

ziggy didn't want to see it, I believe, out of any morbid curiosity, I would just call it being interested in wildlife behaviour. nature vs man. I don't have an issue with that.

Like we said at the time, if you're interested in wildlife behaviour, watch a documentary. Wanting to watch footage of this is disrespectful to the woman who lost her life prematurely.

wow, you just have all the answers, don't you? :roll:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    So sad. I hope the footage gets released.

To Johnny Sitar

In defense of Sian, this does sound a bit like morbid curiosity to me.

I don't know if is or not, but considering a person died, I think the comment above can be taken as inappropriate at best.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I think Ziggy was probably just hoping to find a weakness in the whale's attack... you know, just in case she ever has her pony tail in the mouth of an orca.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328

Morbid fascination in watching the woman being thrashed around, much?

Oh so now I'm childish as well?

Who said I am studying whale behaviour? I simply made the comment that I wanted to see "how the whale behaved"....you and redrock are the smartarses going on about me thinking I'm an animal behaviourist. :roll:

All I want to see is the footage of the whale grabbing the trainer. Same way I watched the footage of Steve Irwin being stung by a sting ray. Same way I watch medical operations on tv and a heap of other shit. I want to see it. Why? Because I find it interesting. End of story.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    this whale has moxy
    i wanna see it do work
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I think Ziggy was probably just hoping to find a weakness in the whale's attack... you know, just in case she ever has her pony tail in the mouth of an orca.
    :lol:8-)