Orlando SeaWorld Worker Killed by Whale

Comments

• ZiggyStar wrote:

Oh! I didn't realise you were an animal behaviourist! Silly me :roll:

I understand that you're interested in how whales take prey but like I said, nature documetaries will give you that little insight. It doesn't matter whether it's a seal or a person their behaviour will generally be the same. To be honest, this looks to me like you've said you want to see the footage out of morbid curiosity and now you're back-tracking as you've realised it may appear disrespectful.

Back-tracking? Tbh, I don't really give a fuck how it appears....or if anyone thinks what I said was disrespectful. Hell, a couple of weeks ago on here I was talking about watching footage of someone getting their head cut off. I'm sure a lot of people found that "disrespectful" as well. I simply find it...interesting. *shrugs*

There's no need for cursing. We're all grown ups here and i'm sure even you can have a discussion without effing and jeffing.
    I've come across many people like you, when I was a lot younger I even used to be like you. I'd watch anything that most people would consider gross or morbid but that changed. For a while I worked in a mortuary, now, when you have a real human being on a slab infont of you you start to wonder who they were, what their life was like and what brought them to this point... now THAT is interesting. No matter how interesting it was, it was also a career that taught me to have some respect for the deceased and those who are left behind. I've dealt with enough heartbroken relatives to know that morbid curiosity is not a good thing. By the same token, I lost a close friend in car accident a few years ago. I couldn't even look at photos of the car wreck let alone even begin to imagine how i'd feel if the accident had been filmed and put out for the world to see.
    This isn't about what YOU find interesting Susan, it's about having respect. This world is horrible enough without people like you revelling in it.

I agree with Rita, this isn't the purpose of this thread and i'm done.

I wonder what will happen to the whale now? :(
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • I feel bad for the trainer. I hear she really cared for the Animals.

I just don't think anyone should be shocked or surprised. Wilds animals will act as they are supposed to. It has happened before and it will happen again.

I also feel bad for almost giggling when I heard that this happened after the show at a private session for people who pay extra. the After Show is called "Dining with Whales".......and it is just too ironic not to mention. :oops:
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    way to smart to be locked up
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    hopefully if the whale can survive on its own they will release it but after captivity I'm not sure about that.
    I wonder if in our lifetimes we will see the end of all this "show" of animals.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    pandora wrote:
    hopefully if the whale can survive on its own they will release it but after captivity I'm not sure about that.

Never in our lifetime, too much money is made from shows like this. My fiance who lives in S Florida told me this morning they plan on continuing the shows and the show with this whale. The whale is the largest in their shows (12,000+ lbs) and I gather that's why they continue with this particular whale even after 3 incidents with trainers and workers. She said they plan on making the tanks safer to protect the trainers i'm like WHAT!

I gather a payoff to the trainer's family because you know us humans the show must go on, however who wants to watch at this point?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i heard the trainer was on a seafood diet.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • stories like this always make me feel bad for the animal, whatever the species.

the abuse and cruelty that has to take place in order to mold these animals
    into the docile, submissive creatures they are truly makes me ill.
    Nice shirt.

I just don't think anyone should be shocked or surprised. Wilds animals will act as they are supposed to. It has happened before and it will happen again.

I also feel bad for almost giggling when I heard that this happened after the show at a private session for people who pay extra. the After Show is called "Dining with Whales".......and it is just too ironic not to mention. :oops:
    I dont know....

These so called trainers.....

Pretty much have dedicated their lives to abusing these animals.....right???

Same with the assfucks who "train" elephants......right???

I find it hard to believe they care about these animals.....If they truly cared about these animals they wouldnt be teaching them to jump out of the water and eat a piece of fish from the trainers hand....right???

Just my opinion....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • I dont know....

I find it hard to believe they care about these animals.....If they truly cared about these animals they wouldnt be teaching them to jump out of the water and eat a piece of fish from the trainers hand....right???

Just my opinion....

And that's just it. These trainers are working under the guise as animal lovers
    when in reality they do nothing whatsoever to better these creatures lives,
    they do nothing more than perpetuate the cycle of deprivation, reward and abuse.

So how can that ever be construed as loving animals?
    Nice shirt.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    the wolf wrote:
    I have been saying for years that this was going to happen.

I'm really sad for the trainer who lost their life, and the family.

with that being said, should this really surprise us ? I don't think so.
    I hope they don't destroy the whale.

sad story.
    I agree Steve :(

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • free willy
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    What is that now, something like

Whales - 10
    Humans - Untold millions

Good whale.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    eyedclaar wrote:

Whales - 10
    Humans - Untold millions

Good whale.

you should of jumped in and settled the beast down :shock:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    eyedclaar wrote:

Whales - 10
    Humans - Untold millions

Good whale.

you should of jumped in and settled the beast down :shock:

Not sure if my goat whispering techniques work on whales. Someone should have jumped up and shouted, "In this corner, weighing in at 12,500 pounds!"

I dont know....

Just my opinion....

I completely agree.

If it happens in China, Russia, India, people tut and say it's awful how these poor creatures are treated... and the same people go and watch a whale show in Florida... but that ok because it's Florida and the trainers are 'animal lovers'! :thumbup:

Bullshit. Unless in they're being kept with respect in breeding programs or for conservation, wild animals should not be captive.

I worry about what will happen to the whale now. He was only acting how whales do... he won't be re-introduced to the wild as he's effectively institutionalized, they can't 'perform' with him any more... I sadly think they may have him destroyed :(
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

I completely agree.

If it happens in China, Russia, India, people tut and say it's awful how these poor creatures are treated... and the same people go and watch a whale show in Florida... but that ok because it's Florida and the trainers are 'animal lovers'! :thumbup:

Bullshit. Unless in they're being kept with respect in breeding programs or for conservation, wild animals should not be captive.

I worry about what will happen to the whale now. He was only acting how whales do... he won't be re-introduced to the wild as he's effectively institutionalized, they can't 'perform' with him any more... I sadly think they may have him destroyed :(

Well, if they react like they do out here in the American west anytime a wild animal attacks someone, they will kill every whale at the aquarium just to make sure they got the right one.

• eyedclaar wrote:
    I completely agree.

Well, if they react like they do out here in the American west anytime a wild animal attacks someone, they will kill every whale at the aquarium just to make sure they got the right one.

Ah mob-handed blanket punishments... gotta love 'em!

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    edited February 2010
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I completely agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwNvIM2W9Aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHSGJo_FIg&NR=1
    Post edited by Rygar on
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    g under p wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Never in our lifetime, too much money is made from shows like this. My fiance who lives in S Florida told me this morning they plan on continuing the shows and the show with this whale. The whale is the largest in their shows (12,000+ lbs) and I gather that's why they continue with this particular whale even after 3 incidents with trainers and workers. She said they plan on making the tanks safer to protect the trainers i'm like WHAT!

I gather a payoff to the trainer's family because you know us humans the show must go on, however who wants to watch at this point?

Peace
    I've taught my children that "circus life" etc is abuse for animals. They are now in their twenties and will not go to shows like that. I guess all we can do is try to teach the children so maybe things will change and it won't be such a money maker. I am probably hoping for too much.
  • pandora wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Peace
    I've taught my children that "circus life" etc is abuse for animals. They are now in their twenties and will not go to shows like that. I guess all we can do is try to teach the children so maybe things will change and it won't be such a money maker. I am probably hoping for too much.

:clap: That is exactly how I will be raising my children. :thumbup:

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    they won't kill the whale ... she's killed before ... this is the third person killed by her i think ...

anyways - when are people gonna learn? ... read why this former trainer is now and activist ...

http://www.thecovemovie.com/richardobarry.htm
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    pandora wrote:

Done the same with my daughter. Never took her to those kind of shows, circuses with animals, etc. We explained why and she was perfectly happy with that. She knows it's wrong and hopefully her children will as well. We have been to numerous sancturaries though!
  • polaris_x wrote:
    they won't kill the whale ... she's killed before ... this is the third person killed by her i think ...
    Yeah I read that... They may decide that this death could be the one that crossed the line though as he seemed so determined :(

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    haffajappa wrote:
    IMO, they should do away with zoos and aquariums.
    conservation and rehabilitation sites only... wild animals don't deserve to be entertainment for simple minded humans...

Yes. I couldn't agree more.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Releasing the whale is hard because don't they ahve to be accepted by their pods?
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    eyedclaar wrote:

Whales - 10
    Humans - Untold millions

Good whale.

No shit !!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    moron: "hey, what's that big black fish?"

expert: "that's a killer whale."

moron: "cool! i think i'll capture it and train it to do tricks for dumb tourists"

expert: "sir, i said it's a killer whale"

moron: "yeah, but i'm a human. i'm smarter than the animals"

expert: :roll:
  • At least the trainer died, doing something she LOVED....

Abusing animals.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • This is very sad and all, but when you work with an animal called a "killer whale", what do you expect to happen?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i do not feel sorry for the trainer.
    i feel sorry for the orcas held captive in these bullshit parks.

i wish people would quit going to seaworld or whatever the hell the places are called.
    we don't need such places anymore.
    done, zip, zero, the end.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce