Orlando SeaWorld Worker Killed by Whale

g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Orlando SeaWorld worker killed by whale
ORLANDO, Fla. -- An employee at SeaWorld Orlando has died after being attacked by a killer whale.

Orange County Fire Rescue spokesman John Mulhall says paramedics were called Wednesday afternoon to the Shamu Stadium at the theme park where they found a worker who could not be revived.

Park guest Victoria Biniak told WKMG-TV that the trainer had just finished explaining to the audience the show they were about to see.

Biniak told the station the whale suddenly came up from the water, grabbed the trainer around the waist and "thrashed her all around" to the point the trainer's shoe fell off.

The guests were evacuated and the park was closed.

This is going to be a really sad story. I've been to the show in Miami and it was great but I hope this didn't happen during a show.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• :o
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    g under p wrote:
    ORLANDO, Fla. -- An employee at SeaWorld Orlando has died after being attacked by a killer whale.

Orange County Fire Rescue spokesman John Mulhall says paramedics were called Wednesday afternoon to the Shamu Stadium at the theme park where they found a worker who could not be revived.

Park guest Victoria Biniak told WKMG-TV that the trainer had just finished explaining to the audience the show they were about to see.

Biniak told the station the whale suddenly came up from the water, grabbed the trainer around the waist and "thrashed her all around" to the point the trainer's shoe fell off.

This is going to be a really sad story. I've been to the show in Miami and it was great but I hope this didn't happen during a show.

Peace

Not trying to be a douche, but it says in the article you posted that this happened during a show.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I have been saying for years that this was going to happen.

I'm really sad for the trainer who lost their life, and the family.

with that being said, should this really surprise us ? I don't think so.
    I hope they don't destroy the whale.

sad story.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    JD Sal wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

I read that, I wasn't sure they were saying differently on the television. It's still not going to bring back the trainer.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    the wolf wrote:

sad story.

Unfortunately, they probably will destroy the whale, thinking that it is deadly a nd will attack non stop again. Of course, an animal held in captivity when it isn't meant to me woudl never do anything like this. :roll:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    edited February 2010
    dcfaithful wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

sad story.

Unfortunately, they probably will destroy the whale, thinking that it is deadly a nd will attack non stop again. Of course, an animal held in captivity when it isn't meant to me woudl never do anything like this. :roll:

Let the thing go.... it will survive. It is a Killer Whale! This is the 3rd issue with a human.
    Post edited by PJ_Lukin on
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • g under p wrote:

Peace

That is a really sad story indeed, i hope the Whale is set free!
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Free Willy!!

I went to San Diego Sea World when I was 9 and really didn't enjoy the show at all! Those poor creatures are kept in ridiculously small tanks, a fish bowl is no place for a whale!!!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,990
    I think they're fighting to get it back again.
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    This poor whale (Tillicum is his actual name - not Tillikum or Tilleekum)...he used to be at a place called Sealand in Victoria BC (where I live)....he was taken from his pod and tossed into this netted area in the ocean (the only good thing about it) and made to perform idiotic tricks. My parents used to look at boats there all the time and I'd hear the whales and sometimes the shows and I would bawl my eyes out...anyway, when I was 17 my friends dragged me to a show and Tillicum and the other whale would do NOTHING. They swam around. They refused to perform and I was jumping around and cheering and "Yay whales!! Good for you whales" Kids were asking their parents through tears, "Why didn't they perform?" and I'd hiss "because they know it's wrong!"...got lots of scowls, but I think I made my point.

And then came 1991 when Tillicum and his mate killed a trainer who they treated like a toy. They were playing with her and she died.

Then Sealand shut down and they once again ripped Tillicum from his family and sent him to Florida while his mate and their offspring went elsewhere. I watched the news that day when they pulled him from the tank and hoisted him on the the truck...and that whale was screaming and crying and making noises that whales probably don't make very often. It was heartbreaking... He was also sold with the condition that he would not perform again...but I guess he did...

So, now the've separated him from the rest of the whales at SeaWorld and this beautiful pack creature is once again having to live solitarily. This is the WORST thing humans can do to a whale...

What they should do, is bring him back to Georgia Strait, let him go and find his pod...he's obviously still got his hunting instinct...

Yes, it's terrible what happened to the trainer...but these types of things are going to happen until people learn that Orcas belong in the ocean and they need to be left alone! They are a protected species for craps sake...

I HATE whales in captivity. If your life is not complete because you haven't seen an orca in person, then get out to the PNW, rent a boat, or go on a whale watching tour.

I feel very very badly for Tillicum...
    be philanthropic
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    So sad. I hope the footage gets released.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    a bit more on this story and pictures of this whale.......set them free....

Whale kills trainer as horrified spectators watch
    ORLANDO, Fla. -- A SeaWorld killer whale snatched a trainer off a poolside platform in its jaws Wednesday and thrashed the woman around underwater, killing her in front of a horrified audience. It marked the third time the animal had been involved in a human death.

Peace

• vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    g under p wrote:
    a bit more on this story and pictures of this whale.......set them free....

Whale kills trainer as horrified spectators watch
    ORLANDO, Fla. -- A SeaWorld killer whale snatched a trainer off a poolside platform in its jaws Wednesday and thrashed the woman around underwater, killing her in front of a horrified audience. It marked the third time the animal had been involved in a human death.

Peace

So, there you go. I saw him refuse to perform in 1985...and he did it again today. Same time of the year, too. This is making me so upset...wish I had the millions of $$ to rehab him at Newport, OR and then bring him home...

I'm crying because of this and I'm crying because Canada just won gold and silver in the bobsleigh...
    be philanthropic
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    IMO, they should do away with zoos and aquariums.
    conservation and rehabilitation sites only... wild animals don't deserve to be entertainment for simple minded humans...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Whale 1
    Trainer 0

Am I supposed to feel sorry for the trainer???
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited February 2010
    ZiggyStar wrote:

What footage? The moment the whale grabbed the trainer and her subsequent death?

Whilst events like this are tragic, I believe it's a risk that any person takes while working with wild animals that are kept in un-natural conditions, being 'taught' tricks and performing for stupid people. This animal is being punished for human 'mistakes'.

As another poster said, conservation and rehabilitation are the only reasons one could potentially keep wild animals enclosed.
    Post edited by redrock on
    redrock wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

What footage? The moment the whale grabbed the trainer and her subsequent death?

Yeah...surely someone was filming it.
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Yeah...surely someone was filming it.

And what purpose would it serve releasing footage of someone being killed? Traumatising grieving friends and family? Satisfying some people's morbid lust for 'excitement'? Should one record it and play it over and over again while masturbating? I find it quite obscene that one would want someone's tragic death splattered all over TV for what seems entertainment value.
  • Apparently it happened during preparation for a show behind the scenes, so there isn't likely to be footage.

It's sad for the family and friends involved, but these animals really shouldn't be kept in big swimming pools.
  • Apparently it happened during preparation for a show behind the scenes, so there isn't likely to be footage.

It's sad for the family and friends involved, but these animals really shouldn't be kept in big swimming pools.
    Absolutely.

I don't believe SeaWorld for a minute. The trouble is, people get complacent. These are big fucking oceanic killing machines, they're not pets or performers. They don't do tricks with giant sharks so why do it with a killer whale?!
    It makes me laugh because people tut at footage of Russians (for example) leading bears around by their noses and making them dance, how is this any different?
    I agree with Rita, apart from breeding and conservation programs, wild animals should not be retained by humans... and they certainly shouldn't be used for entertainment.

I sincerly hope any footage that MAY exist, doesn't get released. It would be in bad taste and disrespectful to her family who have, at the end of the day, suddenly lost their relative.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    redrock wrote:

And what purpose would it serve releasing footage of someone being killed? Traumatising grieving friends and family? Satisfying some people's morbid lust for 'excitement'? Should one record it and play it over and over again while masturbating? I find it quite obscene that one would want someone's tragic death splattered all over TV for what seems entertainment value.

It's not because I find it "exciting". I get no "joy" out of watching it. I do, however, think it would be interesting to see how the whale did it....see how it came up out of the water and how it grabbed her in its mouth and started throwing her around etc.
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    redrock wrote:

It's not because I find it "exciting". I get no "joy" out of watching it. I do, however, think it would be interesting to see how the whale did it....see how it came up out of the water and how it grabbed her in its mouth and started throwing her around etc.

Watch a nature documentary then, not someones life being ended.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

ZiggyStar wrote:
    redrock wrote:

Yeah...right. If that's what you want to see, just watch a documentary on killer whales and I am sure you will see them grab a seal or two. Same principle but I guess not as interesting seeing the whale would 'only' be grabbing another animal - not a human being - no 'shock value' there.

Edit: Looks like Sian-of-the-Dead was quicker in her response than I was.
    redrock wrote:

Yeah...right. If that's what you want to see, just watch a documentary on killer whales and I am sure you will see them grab a seal or two. Same principle but I guess not as interesting seeing the whale would 'only' be grabbing another animal - not a human being.

I can understand what you're both saying. I have seen many documentaries on killer whales....I like whales...a lot...I'm well aware of what a whale grabbing another animal looks like. I've also watched a lot of footage of whales attacking trainers etc....so I'm interested in seeing this footage too. It's not out of disrespect. I just want to see how the animal behaved.
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    redrock wrote:

Yeah...right. If that's what you want to see, just watch a documentary on killer whales and I am sure you will see them grab a seal or two. Same principle but I guess not as interesting seeing the whale would 'only' be grabbing another animal - not a human being.

I can understand what you're both saying. I have seen many documentaries on killer whales....I like whales...a lot...I'm well aware of what a whale grabbing another animal looks like. I've also watched a lot of footage of whales attacking trainers etc....so I'm interested in seeing this footage too. It's not out of disrespect. I just want to see how the animal behaved.

Oh! I didn't realise you were an animal behaviourist! Silly me :roll:

I understand that you're interested in how whales take prey but like I said, nature documetaries will give you that little insight. It doesn't matter whether it's a seal or a person their behaviour will generally be the same. To be honest, this looks to me like you've said you want to see the footage out of morbid curiosity and now you're back-tracking as you've realised it may appear disrespectful.

ZiggyStar wrote:
    redrock wrote:

I understand that you're interested in how whales take prey but like I said, nature documetaries will give you that little insight. It doesn't matter whether it's a seal or a person their behaviour will generally be the same. To be honest, this looks to me like you've said you want to see the footage out of morbid curiosity and now you're back-tracking as you've realised it may appear disrespectful.

What she said....

Now, should we consider for a moment that you MIGHT be interested in animal behaviour and what caused this whale to act like it did (actually to act like a killer whale), this would not be shown in any footage of this trainer's death. One then needs to study the animal, it's circumstances, etc. Nothing 'voyeuristic' footage would give any insight to.

Back-tracking? Tbh, I don't really give a fuck how it appears....or if anyone thinks what I said was disrespectful. Hell, a couple of weeks ago on here I was talking about watching footage of someone getting their head cut off. I'm sure a lot of people found that "disrespectful" as well. I simply find it...interesting. *shrugs*
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    ....Hell, a couple of weeks ago on here I was talking about watching footage of someone getting their head cut off. ....I simply find it...interesting. *shrugs*

This kind of 'interest' has a name.... morbid voyeurism.

Townsville may not be the most exciting place on earth, but I'm sure there are more intesting (not in italics) things to do besides watch morbid footage out of 'interest' (this time in italics).

Anyway... we digress. The starting point of this thread is about a confined wild animal who acts following his instinct. Sadly, it caused someone's death. Proof yet again, wild animals are NOT there for entertainment.
    redrock wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    ....Hell, a couple of weeks ago on here I was talking about watching footage of someone getting their head cut off. ....I simply find it...interesting. *shrugs*

This kind of 'interest' has a name.... morbid voyeurism.

Townsville may not be the most exciting place on earth, but I'm sure there are more intesting (not in italics) things to do besides watch morbid footage out of 'interest' (this time in italics).

Anyway... we digress. The starting point of this thread is about a confined wild animal who acts following his instinct. Sadly, it caused someone's death. Proof yet again, wild animals are NOT there for entertainment.

Well being a "voyeur" means I get sexual gratification out of it which I do not....but yes, you're right in a way....I love to watch people....I could sit in a crowded area and watch people for hours....it doesn't necessarily have to be "morbid"....just something I find interesting. And seeing a whale attack a human is interesting to me.
    edited February 2010
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Well being a "voyeur" means I get sexual gratification out of it which I do not....but yes, you're right in a way....I love to watch people....I could sit in a crowded area and watch people for hours....it doesn't necessarily have to be "morbid"....just something I find interesting. And seeing a whale attack a human is interesting to me.

I think you will find that 'voyeur' has several definitions. It is also 'An obsessive observer of sordid or sensational subjects'.

Sitting at a terrasse people watching and morbid voyeurism is far from the same thing. Obviously, there is a problem if you think it is the same.

I will no longer dwell on this. If you like watching people die by killer whale or being beheaded, that is your problem. But define it as it is and don't hide it behind interesting.

I'm finished discussing this.
    Post edited by redrock on