What if Tiger retired from golf right now?

Comments

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    i can see tiger just playing majors for the rest of his life or just play the masters every year. not like he needs those cheap checks from the pga. the pga needs tiger more then tiger needs them.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

scb wrote:
    scb wrote:
    What if Tiger retired from golf right now? Who cares?? It's just golf. Maybe it would help him gain an little perspective on what's important in life.

I couldn't really care less if the athletes or movie stars that I like to watch (or the musicans I enjoy) have any perspective on what's important in life.

Let me rephrase: Whether or not Tiger Woods or anyone else has any perspective on what's important in life.... golf is not important in life, and neither is Tiger's presense or absense in the world of golf.
    the pga depends on his presence. without him people won't go to tournaments or majors or watch golf. without him the pga will go back to getting ratings like the pba or nhl does here in the states.

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    edited February 2010
    metsfan wrote:
    scb wrote:
    I couldn't really care less if the athletes or movie stars that I like to watch (or the musicans I enjoy) have any perspective on what's important in life.

Let me rephrase: Whether or not Tiger Woods or anyone else has any perspective on what's important in life.... golf is not important in life, and neither is Tiger's presense or absense in the world of golf.
    the pga depends on his presence. without him people won't go to tournaments or majors or watch golf. without him the pga will go back to getting ratings like the pba or nhl does here in the states.

There's some creedence to what you're saying I've haven't seen or looked at a golf tournament since he last played.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    read the title of thread and who really cares?
    thats it who cares
    I guess we care more about Tiger than the guy who rode his plane on high into a building to make a statement
    this world can be so messed up
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited February 2010
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I WOULDN'T LOSE AN OUNCE OF SLEEP

and golf would go back into the abyss where it belongs :mrgreen:

:clap::clap::clap:
    What I can't believe is how many people sit around on the weekend when the is nice and watch this sport.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    It doesn't matter to me I could care less about Golf... :|

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Thanks to the posters who posted something more eloquent and cohesive than "couldnt care less" or "agree". You couldnt care less, but took the time to post on this thread? Wow, you really dont care!

Beyond that, no one is addressing my statements. Tigers winning tournaments has no bearing on the argument at all. Tiger could win the next 9 majors in a row, consecutively, that doesnt change the fact, he may not have the passion for it he once did. And again, this isnt some gossip column article I got it from. Disagree with it all you want, but the person who wrote it, knows tiger personally, and thats what he felt, that tiger lost his passion for the game.

making excuses for tiger really has no place in this thread. its more about the psychology and thinking of the greatest golfer in history. Making cash hand over fist, being hailed as the greatest golfer in history while still in your 30's, I am sure that is nice. But seriously, you dont think its possible for someone to lose interest in their profession? It happens to normal people every day. Stuck in some dead end job they just quit, changing careers, moving on etc... Why isnt it possible for famous people to experience this? Why is it not common sense to suggest, that, if one was to lose their passion for their profession, especially if someone is as good at it as tiger is at his, and especially if you had been literally since birth been on a "golf and nothing else" trip essentially? Wouldnt that have massive ripple effects in your personal life.

tiger is a jerk for cheating, but that has zero to do with my post. So if you want to do that find another thread.

My post is about a 30 something golfer, the best to ever play, who according to a friend has lost the passion for the game he plays better than anyone on the planet. Emotionally, personally, privately, that has got to cause a great toll on a person.
  • IwasBit10 wrote:
    If Tiger were to retire right now, the PGA would be fucked. But, like other have said, I can't see him walking away forever at this moment. He's gonna return.

As for the whole "lost his passion for the game," I'm not quite sure why you're driving that point so hard. He's got plenty of money for him and his family to live off of the rest of his life, so it's not like he's going to have to find a new profession. So he loses his drive for golf, so what? Certainly isn't the first athlete to lose it, and probably won't be the last.

And to blame his actions on his loss of desire for golf, I find absolutely ridiculous.

well, as i have repeated about 5 times now, tiger is different. literally from birth its been ALL GOLF for him. And that has obviously worked out for him. Having cash and not having to worry about money for the rest of his life, is meaningless, and his actions only prove that. having cash and being famous doesnt stop someone from falling out of love with their spouse or their profession.

So what, you asked? I remember reading several articles in the past few years about 2 seperate Zen Buddhists. One from India, hand picked to be, not the next dalai lama, but like 2nd in command, or one of the higher ups in the pecking order so to speak. So in essence, he was chosen to be a holy man. I mean, imagine that, you are picked from birth, and you will be worshipped the rest of your life, you never have to worry about "what will I do for my job, what will I be when i grow up". The second I believe was from San Fran, and had a similar experience, he got a letter from someone in India who said the same thing. Again, what could be better. You will literally be a god. Both men, found it hard to accept. The guy in san fran was the least holy man you could imagine, he was a womanizer and did drugs. The guy from india, ran away, took off, grew his hair long and started listening to hip hop. Completely rebelled. Said he has no desire of being a holy man.

I didnt know it was so unbelievable to suggest, the idea that sometimes people arent happy at their jobs. Even if they are good at them. That sometimes people just go through the motions. And when your identity is so tied up in your job, when your job is who you are, imagine losing the drive for it?
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    metsfan wrote:
    i can see tiger just playing majors for the rest of his life or just play the masters every year. not like he needs those cheap checks from the pga. the pga needs tiger more then tiger needs them.
    They need him more than he needs them, doubtful. If he thinks he's bigger than the game he is wrong. He is a big draw and increased the popularity no doubt, buy the games been around far longer than he has.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    but the person who wrote it, knows tiger personally, and thats what he felt, that tiger lost his passion for the game.

do you remember this guys name? not doubting you, just wondering who it is and if he really knows tiger that well

i wouldn't say he lost his passion for the game...maybe burned out...most athletes of his type (jordan etc) at some point get burned out and take a break (jordan and baseball) but the passion never leaves...ever....ask jordan right now if he wants to play again and he'd say yes

tiger's dad was the biggest person in his life...his death took a great toll on him emotionally and i think it manifested itself in his sexcapades...getting caught and the aftermath will help him refocus his life and hopefully he'll come out of this a better man and golfer
    lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    They need him more than he needs them, doubtful. If he thinks he's bigger than the game he is wrong. He is a big draw and increased the popularity no doubt, buy the games been around far longer than he has.
    without him the pga isnt the 4th most grossing sport. watching golf was like watching bowling before tiger came along. do you think people are watching the accenture match play tourny right now, doubt it. put tiger in it and it would be the most watched sports event this weekend and would bring in huge money for the pga. do you you think the average american is gonna watch the masters if tiger isn't in it.

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    I would applaud that that piece of shit is not on tv any longer
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I couldn't give a donkey's bottom if he quit. He'll only be the brunt of fans witty comments from now anyway. "How many holes are you playing today Tiger?" ha ha ha ha.

I think he is one of the dullest people I've ever seen interviewed.
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    If Tiger retired from golf right now he wouldn't get a root.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    I liken it to RAPIST Kobe Bryant, if he plays well people will forget

If he retired they'd still talk about it for years because he has pretty much carried golf on TV for 8 years
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Lets go Tiger! Would love to see him go out there and kick some ass this weekend although I am not too hopeful about it.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I'm personally sick of hearing about him and I want the constant news stories to go away. Is this what is most important to people? He has literally been one of the top lead stories on CNN HLN every single morning for months. I'm over it.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Lets go Tiger! Would love to see him go out there and kick some ass this weekend although I am not too hopeful about it.

He'll probably f##ck some ass this weekend,because he might not make the cut.
    What a scam this guy is trying to pull off.
    All friendly with the fans.He never,ever gave a rats ass(thanks Speedy) about one fan his entire career.
    Always staring straight ahead,even during practice rounds.Brushing aside kids looking to interact with thier so called "hero".Talk about misguided kids.
    The new Nike commercial ? Haha,his old man screwed around on his wife also.The perfect pair.
    I can't wait to see him miss a shot and yell out one of his favourite expletives.
    Oh but this is the "new" Tiger,can't do that.
    Gotta get those sponsors back, and the saps who think this guy is genuine.
    Or put his hat over his face so you can't read his big lips when he's cursing.
    How can anyone still appreciate this phoney?
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    tiger looks horrible these days.
    he looks very tired, wore out if you will.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's interesting in I think he'll ONLY come in the top 10 BARELY!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's interesting in I think he'll ONLY come in the top 10 BARELY!

Peace

You know what check that he WON'T make the cut. This will ALL be TOO much. Who knows maybe his secret life was the key to his pass success.

Peace

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'd like to see him come back and kick ass.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V

Agreed, lots of haters in this thread.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    the wolf wrote:
    I WOULDN'T LOSE AN OUNCE OF SLEEP

and golf would go back into the abyss where it belongs :mrgreen:

amen.

Amen again. Preach on.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

or people who have good bullshit radars!!

Sex rehab? Really?

Nike ad with his late dad? Really?

His game is great.... He's a tool
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

or people who have good bullshit radars!!

Sex rehab? Really?

Nike ad with his late dad? Really?

His game is great.... He's a tool

Who gives a fuck about his personality? All I care about is what goes on in between the ropes and watching him dominate. If you dont like the ad, dont buy Nike, they are paying him to be their spokesperson. Because Jeter does shitty Ford ads does not make a difference to me and I am sure anyone else, how is this any different?

Nike has been doing ads with his dads voice for years.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    Take it easy cliffy

I'll leave u and ur man crush alone

the ad will backfire, it's gotten bad press already and is tacky

tiger could fuck all the nasty whores he wants, I don't have a problem with it! God bless him, I'm just fascinated by this guys narcissism
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    just watched his first 2 holes...looked pretty good...makes me wish i was there again :(
    edited April 2010
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Take it easy cliffy

I'll leave u and ur man crush alone

the ad will backfire, it's gotten bad press already and is tacky

tiger could fuck all the nasty whores he wants, I don't have a problem with it! God bless him, I'm just fascinated by this guys narcissism

haha, i am easy. just saying.

I personally like the ad, I like that Nike addressed it. Thought it was kind of cool.

Hes a different dude but whatever, so are most athletes.

Edit: And either way, the ad was successful, everyone is talking about it today. That is the goal, right?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on