What if Tiger retired from golf right now?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
i of course would love to see him come back to the game in the future. but one of the most interesting analysis i have seen yet, is that tiger lost his love for the game, years ago, and his actions only prove that.

what if tiger quit golf, right now, or didnt come back for years? if the paradigm i just outligned is true, wouldnt it be better for him to quit now, rather than go through the motions of a game he no longer loves?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    That would be pretty crazy. From what he said it sounds like he is taking a lot more time off than I thought he would. I really hope he gets back on the course this year.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    i of course would love to see him come back to the game in the future. but one of the most interesting analysis i have seen yet, is that tiger lost his love for the game, years ago, and his actions only prove that.

what if tiger quit golf, right now, or didnt come back for years? if the paradigm i just outligned is true, wouldnt it be better for him to quit now, rather than go through the motions of a game he no longer loves?

How do you figure he lost his love for golf? How does what he does on the coarse coinside with what he does off the coarse?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    i think it would fall under the category of a roger clemens retirement. he'd come back, then retire again, then come back...
    I love to turn you on
  • g under p wrote:

How do you figure he lost his love for golf? How does what he does on the coarse coinside with what he does off the coarse?

Peace

i am paraphrasing from an article on espn.com months ago. written by someone who worked with and knew tiger pretty well. he suggested that tiger was going through the motions for years. you know how you can tell people like tarantino loves film? know the vibe people give off when they really love their profession? compare that with tiger. the commentator suggested tiger was bored by golf, that he grew to loathe the game. he talked about the greats of golf and how they could be seen loving every aspect of the game. tiger would just play golf, refuse to talk to fans, or commentators, remain stoic etc...

as for your last question, its pretty obvious. he lost his way. golf has been his identity since birth basically. he is almost like the dalai lama in effect. its been "win 19 majors" for 30 years now. from very early on, for 30 years or whatever, his life has been golf. its been his destiny basically. if this commentator is correct, tiger started to for the first time, hate the game, he has dedicated his entire life to. how does one define oneself when they start to hate the thing they once loved? i am sure it scared the hell out of him. cheating and his outrageous actions are extensions of that. his identity is so tied into golf, what would he be if golf meant little to him?
  • g under p wrote:

Peace

Yeah... how does banging a bunch of chicks mean that he doesn't love the game anymore? Stupid analysis.

If he walked away, for the next 40 years everyone would be asking him when he was coming back. We saw that with Barry Sanders, but that expired quickly as once he hit a certain age, it was a moot point.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    gee after playing golf since the age of 2, tiger said he was bored of it...who wouldn't say that? :roll:
  • so you dont think its possible, that tiger looked at himself in the mirror one day and said, "i no longer love golf anymore"? and that, that confusion and feeling of being lost, because of his lifes dedication to the game, would cause him to behave in the manner he did? this aint "the moon is made of cheese" analysis friend. makes sense to me.

how is tiger gonna react ], if this analysis is correct, when he realizes he no longer loves golf? Is he gonna feel good about himself? is he gonna treat his family with respect? or does that lostness as it were lend itself, in some ways to how he acted? Has any other profession ever crossed tigers mind since he was 11 months? Has it ever been a question for him whether he would win 19 majors? how do you reconcile that drive, with how one would feel if you decided you wanted to do something different, or rather hated the thing you spent 30 years pursuing?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i think tiger should start selling condoms and other sexual products.
    trojan condoms would love mr. woods being their spokesman.

hi im tiger.
    i golf my balls off and i always wrap my wiener.
    the end.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    i think tiger should start selling condoms and other sexual products.
    trojan condoms would love mr. woods being their spokesman.

hi im tiger.
    i golf my balls off and i always wrap my wiener.
    the end.

This could probably work, his women said he was pretty good. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• __ Posts: 6,651
    What if Tiger retired from golf right now? Who cares?? It's just golf. Maybe it would help him gain an little perspective on what's important in life.
    scb wrote:
    What if Tiger retired from golf right now? Who cares?? It's just golf. Maybe it would help him gain an little perspective on what's important in life.

i would like to see tiger become a submarine captain :mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    g under p wrote:

Peace

i am paraphrasing from an article on espn.com months ago. written by someone who worked with and knew tiger pretty well. he suggested that tiger was going through the motions for years. you know how you can tell people like tarantino loves film? know the vibe people give off when they really love their profession? compare that with tiger. the commentator suggested tiger was bored by golf, that he grew to loathe the game. he talked about the greats of golf and how they could be seen loving every aspect of the game. tiger would just play golf, refuse to talk to fans, or commentators, remain stoic etc...

as for your last question, its pretty obvious. he lost his way. golf has been his identity since birth basically. he is almost like the dalai lama in effect. its been "win 19 majors" for 30 years now. from very early on, for 30 years or whatever, his life has been golf. its been his destiny basically. if this commentator is correct, tiger started to for the first time, hate the game, he has dedicated his entire life to. how does one define oneself when they start to hate the thing they once loved? i am sure it scared the hell out of him. cheating and his outrageous actions are extensions of that. his identity is so tied into golf, what would he be if golf meant little to him?

If ANY of this is true I'm pretty sure NOW, ALL of what you're saying is COMPLETELY OVER. Golf has made this man very powerful and wealthy man so I don't see from what you're saying he scorns golf. Based on the fact he's been playing it since infancy. I look more to the thought that Tiger is an unfaithful man who was constantly horny and wanted to sleep with even more blond women. Most of them declare he was pretty good and knew what he was doing.

So again if it's true this is all a mute point now especially if and when he comes back he continues to dominate. We shall see how this soap opera turns out.

Peace

• scb wrote:

I couldn't really care less if the athletes or movie stars that I like to watch (or the musicans I enjoy) have any perspective on what's important in life.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    I WOULDN'T LOSE AN OUNCE OF SLEEP

and golf would go back into the abyss where it belongs :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    edited February 2010
    I'm probably the last person that should post in this thread, seeing as I really don't fucking care AT ALL.

I just don't think you can blame Mr. Woods actions with all these women on him no longer loving the game of golf.
    I was in a band that I put my heart and soul into for years, but for the last 2 really didn't feel it anymore.
    I had many chances to bag chicks that like to sleep with guys that are in bands. I was married though, and didn't. No matter how much I was just going through the motions in the band and up on stage.

You can't blame cheating on your wife on not loving what you do in your life. Only on not respecting her, yourself and your marriage and the vows you took.

A cheating fuck is a cheating fuck, no matter what you do as a profession, no matter how much money you are worth, and no matter what your name is. Tiger is a cheating fuck, and he has to deal with that now, and its unfortunate but so does his wife and family.
    I say fuck him. but that's just me.
    Post edited by the wolf on
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I WOULDN'T LOSE AN OUNCE OF SLEEP

and golf would go back into the abyss where it belongs :mrgreen:

amen.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • If Tiger were to retire right now, the PGA would be fucked. But, like other have said, I can't see him walking away forever at this moment. He's gonna return.

As for the whole "lost his passion for the game," I'm not quite sure why you're driving that point so hard. He's got plenty of money for him and his family to live off of the rest of his life, so it's not like he's going to have to find a new profession. So he loses his drive for golf, so what? Certainly isn't the first athlete to lose it, and probably won't be the last.

And to blame his actions on his loss of desire for golf, I find absolutely ridiculous.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
    IwasBit10 wrote:
    If Tiger were to retire right now, the PGA would be fucked. But, like other have said, I can't see him walking away forever at this moment. He's gonna return.

As for the whole "lost his passion for the game," I'm not quite sure why you're driving that point so hard. He's got plenty of money for him and his family to live off of the rest of his life, so it's not like he's going to have to find a new profession. So he loses his drive for golf, so what? Certainly isn't the first athlete to lose it, and probably won't be the last.

And to blame his actions on his loss of desire for golf, I find absolutely ridiculous.

I absolutely agree, love the avatar. Do you think the Hawks will take the Cup this year and you do know they've the 2nd best logo in hockey right. :D

Peace

the wolf wrote:
    A cheating fuck is a cheating fuck, no matter what you do as a profession, no matter how much money you are worth, and no matter what your name is.

:clap::clap::clap:
    scb wrote:

I couldn't really care less if the athletes or movie stars that I like to watch (or the musicans I enjoy) have any perspective on what's important in life.

Let me rephrase: Whether or not Tiger Woods or anyone else has any perspective on what's important in life.... golf is not important in life, and neither is Tiger's presense or absense in the world of golf.
  • g under p wrote:
    IwasBit10 wrote:
    If Tiger were to retire right now, the PGA would be fucked. But, like other have said, I can't see him walking away forever at this moment. He's gonna return.

I absolutely agree, love the avatar. Do you think the Hawks will take the Cup this year and you do know they've the 2nd best logo in hockey right. :D

Peace

Hmmmm, I always thought it was THEE best logo in hockey :lol:

I'm hoping we take the Cup this year. The franchise, although enjoying some success as of late, is in need of some serious, cry-tears-of-joy glory.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

Totally agree. If he played a team sport for a team I liked, I would care as far as it's affect on the dressing room....But if he walked away from golf, how would it change anything, aside from a competition for 2nd/3rd becoming a competition for 1st/2nd, and maybe a couple record-book entries? WHO CARES????

I seriously cannot believe the press this story gets. Sad the way so many seem to either use celebs as their moral compass, or live vicariously thru them
    (disclaimer: not directed at you scb :D).
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    can't say as i would care one bit.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    IwasBit10 wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    IwasBit10 wrote:

Peace

Hmmmm, I always thought it was THEE best logo in hockey :lol:

I'm hoping we take the Cup this year. The franchise, although enjoying some success as of late, is in need of some serious, cry-tears-of-joy glory.

The BRUINS ARE the best IMO but I've ALWAYS loved the Blackhawks logo and jersey. It must be due to my love for goalie Tony Esposito and Stan *The Man* Mikita. If the B's can't take the Cup I hoping the Hawks can, yes you're right it's been a long time since they've tasted Cup glory. The Bruins are right there too.

Fogive me for not focusing on Tiger. :mrgreen:

Peace

(disclaimer: not directed at you scb :D).

Better not be!! :evil:

;)
  • Ummm, I don't think Tiger lost his love for golf. I'm not sure what his stats were for 2009 tourney finishes, but it seems like he was in the top 5 or 10 in pretty much everything he entered. His competitive edge is unparalleled. It's pretty amazing to be able to watch.

No, I don't think he's a good husband, but he's not my husband and that stuff doesn't affect me either way.

I just appreciate greatness and he personifies that (in golf). As did Michael Jordan, who was also a sport miracle that I was glad to be able to watch even though he too had some personal issues like infedelity and gambling addictions. But like I said, sports icon's personal lives don't bother me. I appreciate them for their sole purpose which is to entertain me.

This country enjoys misery. Such a shame.
  • Just checked...

Since 2006, he's had 54 starts and 50 top 25 finishes. Of those, 43 were top 10.

Can you feel Tiger's balls as he teabags your forehead?
  • i think he should. it would be hilarious to watch the entire golfing world shit themselves. and the self righteous sportswriters would have less to bitch about.
    money is the factor.
    money is the problem and the answer.
    well, kinda sorta.

in a weird kinda way i feel sorry for the dude.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Many fathers around the world would be locking up their daughters.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014