BACKSPACER...6 months In What Do We Think

Comments

• DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Interesting. I'm probably the most vocal critic of MC's drumming (and supporter when he plays well) and I thought he played amazingly well on this album - probably the best playing he's done with them.

Don't get me wrong I think he did great on the album, I just wish he would have let go on ATW, it seemed like he just played the same thoughout the whole song, that is my ONLY criticism though.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    shame its been promoted as if it was a floating turd,

whoever had the job of promoting this record has in my view done a piss poor job. It deserves so much more
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    edited February 2010
    I still think it is their best since YIELD and in my overall top 3. I just love the overall mood and how upbeat it is. Many people complained about how political PJ had become over the years and I like the fact that this record is almost a 180 from that standpoint. I like the maturity and the general celebration of life, like Eddie realized things aren't so bad after all maybe. It sounds great, not muddy like Avocado or lifeless like Riot Act.

Short, sweet and to the point, I think Backspacer is a masterpiece. And for once in a long while, there aren't any songs I skip.

Unthought Known is the best thing they have done in years and years.
    Post edited by Flagg on
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    pdalowsky wrote:
    shame its been promoted as if it was a floating turd,

whoever had the job of promoting this record has in my view done a piss poor job. It deserves so much more

Thumbs WAY up. Not to mention the fact that the band really didn't feel like touring much to support their best album in years. I still do not get that.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Flagg wrote:
    Many people complained about political PJ had become over the years and I like the fact that this record is almost a 180 from that standpoint.

LOL...that would be my only reason for not liking it as much as past albums!

Flagg wrote:
    lifeless like Riot Act.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
  • GREAT
    Johnny Guitar - I've always loved this song since the first listen
    The Fixer - Ditto
    Unthought Known - Just amazing

VERY GOOD
    Got Some - Not to crazy about the background vocals, still prefer the Conan version a lot more (just the way he sings it at the end, it's full on punch you in the face...I love it)
    Gonna See My Friend - It's a great song to listen to full blast in your car

GOOD
    Just Breathe - I still like listening to it time to time.
    The End - I think these songs go hand in hand

OK
    Force of Nature - This song has grown on me.
    Supersonic - It has it's moments

MEH
    Speed of Sound - I skip this song a lot, I can listen to it but it's just boring. Great song to sing on Rock Band though, go figure.
    Amongst the Waves - Meh!

Can't wait to see what's next...
    Flagg wrote:
    Many people complained about political PJ had become over the years and I like the fact that this record is almost a 180 from that standpoint.

LOL...that would be my only reason for not liking it as much as past albums!

Flagg wrote:
    lifeless like Riot Act.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Oh, I don't mind the political topics at all. Just nice to take a break from them.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,438
    It's been 6 months and I'm still in love with it. I can't just listen to one or two tracks, I have to listen from start to finish.

There are a couple of songs that I don't love as much as others, but on the whole I think it's a stellar record. There is something about it that just clicks with me. The music, lyrics, Ed's voice all combine to create what I think is easily their strongest record. I'd break it down like this:

Absolute classics:
    Just Breathe
    Amongst The Waves
    Unthought Known
    Speed Of Sound
    Force Of Nature
    The End

Brilliant songs:
    Got Some
    Johnny Guitar
    Supersonic

Good songs:
    Gonna See My Friend
    The Fixer

Overall, I adore this record. I loved it instantly and it hasn't eased off. Well done guys!
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Love the album. Unthought Known has easily become one of my favorite PJ songs. The only songs I'm not crazy about are Speed of Sound (the demo version is so much better), Supersonic (sounds too much like 'Mankind') and Gonna See My Friend (just one of those blah songs). Other than that, 8 great songs out of 11 is pretty damn good!
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    The Rock wrote:

Absolute classics:
    Just Breathe
    Amongst The Waves
    Unthought Known
    Speed Of Sound
    Force Of Nature
    The End

Brilliant songs:
    Got Some
    Johnny Guitar
    Supersonic

Good songs:
    Gonna See My Friend
    The Fixer

Overall, I adore this record. I loved it instantly and it hasn't eased off. Well done guys!

"absolute classics" and "brilliant" ?

:lol: i love the enthusiasm but come on...its only been six months and your calling songs classics!?
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • Solid rock record. Nothing special.

Better than Riot Act, but that's it for me.
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    KEEPERS: Johnny Guitar (best track on the album IMO), Just Breathe, Amongst the Waves, Unthought Known (2nd best track on album), and maybe Gonna See My Friend (I agree with an earlier post that they have not played a great live version of this song yet and it could change my opinion when they do)

THROWBACKS: Got Some (I dont get what people are hearing, I think it is one of the worst PJ songs ever!), the Fixer (got old after just a few listens, though live it rocks pretty hard), The End (close to being a keeper, but can Eddie sing it live consistently? see ACL performance...), Speed of Sound, Force of Nature, Supersonic

Other thoughts: matt plays great on this record, maybe his best studio album yet. Cool to know that many songs were written here in my hometown!, Eddie's voice showing some wear and tear since Avocado.....
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,438
    jets521 wrote:
    The Rock wrote:

Absolute classics:
    Just Breathe
    Amongst The Waves
    Unthought Known
    Speed Of Sound
    Force Of Nature
    The End

Brilliant songs:
    Got Some
    Johnny Guitar
    Supersonic

Good songs:
    Gonna See My Friend
    The Fixer

:lol: i love the enthusiasm but come on...its only been six months and your calling songs classics!?

Hell yeah. The band floored me with this album from the start. I already prefer some of these songs to older songs in the band's catalogue. This is the album I was hoping for, they delivered big time.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Jennytree wrote:
    My overall feeling is that it'll be down the bottom of the pile right on top of Avocado. There are some great songs there but I wouldn't hesitate to skip the album to listen to any of the first 6 or 7.
    +1
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Unthought Known is outstanding, my Fav. My wife loves Force of Nature
    everything except Supersonic & Got Some is very good.
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    The Rock wrote:
    jets521 wrote:
    The Rock wrote:

Absolute classics:
    Just Breathe
    Amongst The Waves
    Unthought Known
    Speed Of Sound
    Force Of Nature
    The End

Brilliant songs:
    Got Some
    Johnny Guitar
    Supersonic

Good songs:
    Gonna See My Friend
    The Fixer

Hell yeah. The band floored me with this album from the start. I already prefer some of these songs to older songs in the band's catalogue. This is the album I was hoping for, they delivered big time.

i respect that
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • Yay, my 2 cents...
    Great, like GREAT great:
    The Fixer- still awesome, everytime I hear it...
    Got Some- Love that sigh/grunt in the opening verse...
    Unthought Known- I was delighted to find out other people dig this 1 too...

Average
    Everything else, except for...

M'eh
    The End

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • I still think its great, their best since yield, and I like them all except for binaural. Don't really care for that one.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    dunkman wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    it's an absolute masterpiece.

:thumbup:
    yes sir :clap: !

i was of course referring to this 'masterpiece' of a thread
    http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.ph ... k#p2535671

I actually think its not a masterpiece... a very very good album... but not a masterpiece. ;)
    Oh,wheres the minus applaud smiley guy? ;)
    I think it a masterpiece- as all their accomplishments
  • It has held up for me. It is my favorite since Yield. 2 songs in my top 30 of PJ studio songs.
    Unthought Known
    Force of Nature
    I can listen to it almost all the way through--I always skip Speed of Sound. That is what makes it enjoyable to me. I cannot listen to Riot Act or Binaural or S/T in the same way. The Fixer and Got Some are a highlight live as is Unthought Known but I agree with whoever said that the songs do not really hold up well live. Maybe because many are played in a lower key than on the album. Maybe because they were new and messed up a lot.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Gonna See My Friend - I think this is a great opener, good rocking song.

Got Some - Sooo much better than the Conan appearance led me to expect!

The Fixer - It's not great poetry, but it is a fun, upbeat, optimistic song, and I think it is perfectly okay and even normal for the guys to produce something like it at this stage in life. I also think it sounds a hundred times better live.

Johnny Guitar - Definitely grew on me. I listen to it and imagine Ed singing it with a "Can you believe I am singing this?" grin on his face. Tons of fun.

Just Breathe - My ten-year-old loves this song, was thrilled to hear it four times in Philly and "just let it wash over me." I think it's beautiful, and I also think there is room in PJ's catalogue for some songs like this.

Amongst The Waves - Might be a little, teensy bit... no, I'm not going to say it's cheesy. Given to Fly is not cheesy, neither is this. I expect a rock band to wear its heart on its sleeve occasionally, and to give voice to feelings that I am unable or unwilling to express myself.

Unthought Known - Made itself a permanent part of my brain at NJPAC, has not left. Vaulted straight into my top ten, with no plans of leaving, ever. Best song since Yield.

Supersonic - Not great art, but great fun; reminds me of the Ramones -- short, loud, fast. I tend to look at these songs in context. Supersonic reminds me of Big Wave, and it holds up fine next to Big Wave. I think comparing it to Black would be pointless. My only complaint is that the transition from Unthought Known to Supersonic is jarring.

Speed Of Sound - Yes, I skip it sometimes. It's nice enough, but Just Breathe and The End are far superior.

Force Of Nature - Sounds better with each listen. Sounds awesome on my iPod. Great song, one of my top two or three from this album.

The End - Tough to listen to at times, because it's so damn sad. But, yeah, it's a great song, too.

The diversity of PJ's songs and albums is a major reason why I like and respect the band so much. I don't want every album to sound like "Ten" (or "Yield"). I think "Backspacer" is the perfect album to make given where the guys are in their lives and careers; it would have been a head-scratcher in 1995, but here and now it makes sense. In the same way, releasing an album like "Vitalogy" now would seem out of place, age-inappropriate, just... not right.

I do not think every album from here on out will sound like "Backspacer." Each PJ album has been its own beast, and I have no reason to expect that that is going to change. If anything, I would expect the next album to be much more experimental.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • The P.T.The P.T. Posts: 141
    For me it's the same as Riot Act and PJ. Listened to heavily for a few months then all bug forgotten about. It just doesn't hold up against what they've put out in the past.

After those initial months I go straight back to No Code, Yield, Binaural, Vitalogy, and Vs. Even in some sense Ten, but I rarely listen to that just because I've heard those songs so many times I don't pull it out much. (Although it's weird I haven't hit that point for the others).

For me, even the 'worst' songs on those albums are completely listenable and awesome. Ever since Riot Act, I've felt the opposite, that the majority of each album has almost been unlistenable with a few good songs. It's not that I dislike them, it's just that I don't think the music is that much better than other stuff that's out there right now. Something I've never said as I grew up with PJ.
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    It rocks & is still cool. Last time i played it i had been listening to shit dance & r&b rubbish as work. It had never sounded so good. Johnny Guitar is still fav but Amongst The Waves is becoming a standout for me. Backspacer rocks, turn it up after you have cleaned your ears!
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    My fave since yield as well. Love all the songs except johnny guitar.
    Been in steady rotation since it came it out, which speaks for itself.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I will never understand the Speed of Sound hatred. I enjoyed it on first listen but it still gets better every time. Happy to agree to disagree but it's a shame that i hear it so much differently than so many of you.

Overall, i really like Backspacer. It's a great short listen. It's fun for the most part.

Hope the next one goes in a bit of a different direction but this one was perfect for the time.
    Much better than Avocado and i'd have to say Riot Act as well (very different albums though)

Also, i don't compare new PJ albums to older ones. Granted Vitalogy may be much stronger but i still listen to the newer one more. I've spun Vitalogy about 1 milliion times in the past. It's good to move on.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,961
    It's a good album but as I said in a previous thread (and got lambasted for):

There is not one single song on it which will ever get a crowd reaction/euphoria like RVM, Porch, Present Tennse, etc, etc, etc when played LIVE. :shh:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    One of their better albums. Best since Yield. Some of the ranking have changed for me though...

1. Just Breath - One of the best PJ songs in years. I dont understand how most fans dont like this song. Brilliant, gorgeous. Well done.

2. The Fixer - Like someone says this song keeps growing on me. This is a really good tune.

3. The End - Another brilliant slow burner and a great way to end the album.

4. Got Some - Classic Rock song. Should be the third single if they ever come out with one.

5. Supersonic - Just bad ass. Quick, punchy. Love it. Rockin'

6. Gonna See My Friend - Cant get enough of the chord progression in the chorus. In your face bad ass song.

7. Amongst the Waves - Decent tune. The first verse makes me cringe...Once he goes to "Once outside the undertow" Im hooked. I wish they used different lyrics in t hat first verse...The way he says Resevoir just makes me cringe everytime. Great chorus though...Is it cut for the radio? No.

All these songs are incredible tunes...It drops off from there for me.

8. Unthought Known - Though this song had potential...The after 6 months its really just lazy PJ. A rip off version of wishlist with a chrous that has 2 words annoyingly repeated over and over...Maybe in another 6 months I'll reappreciate this tune.

9. Force of Nature - Just doesnt cut it for me. Similar to Army Reserve for me. Both blah. FON beats out Army by a long shot however.

10. Johnny Guitar - Still cant figure out if I like this song or not. It was last 6 months ago. Now in ten. I think in 6 months it could surpass Unthought known...It might have done that already.

11. Speed of Sound - Ehck...Just yucky. The demo version should be on the album... That would be in my top 5.
    imalive wrote:

There is not one single song on it which will ever get a crowd reaction/euphoria like RVM, Porch, Present Tennse, etc, etc, etc when played LIVE. :shh:

Unthought Known did that and more in Philly.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    The song I loved from the get-go was and is "Got Some". It's damn catchy.

The Fixer continues to grow on me...

Speed of Sound and Force of Nature are starting to bore me.

I never liked Gonna See My Friend
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,961
    Flagg wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Unthought Known did that and more in Philly.

Sorry, fellow Cowboy fan ;) ...... I saw Unthought Known four times on the last tour and none of them were Porch moments (for me, at least).
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16