BACKSPACER...6 months In What Do We Think

CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252
edited February 2010 in The Porch
So Backspacer has been with us for 6 months or so…How does everyone feel about it?

I have a few problems with the production, seems the vocals are way higher than the music, and I don’t know, it’s a weird mix

Some amazing songs ( Got Some, Fixer, Unthought Known, The End, Johnny Guitar)

Some average stuff (Gonna See My Friend, Speed of Sound)

Some songs I loved at first, and now find them a little…blah (Amongst the Waves, Just Breathe)

What does everyone think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Some pretty good stuff, with some of their most boring stuff. A couple might squeek into the very large portion of cream on top of PJ's output.
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    CrookedTom wrote:
    So Backspacer has been with us for 6 months or so…How does everyone feel about it?

I have a few problems with the production, seems the vocals are way higher than the music, and I don’t know, it’s a weird mix

Some amazing songs ( Got Some, Fixer, Unthought Known, The End, Johnny Guitar)

Some average stuff (Gonna See My Friend, Speed of Sound)

Some songs I loved at first, and now find them a little…blah (Amongst the Waves, Just Breathe)

What does everyone think?

That's almost exactly what I would have said.

At this point in the band's career, all I hope for with a new album is three or four songs I can't wait to hear live, and they definitely achieved that.

Got Some and Unthought Known were instant classics for me. Surprisingly, the song that continues to grow on me is The Fixer.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Well if we're going with the good, average, meh scale...

GOOD
    Got Some
    The Fixer
    Johnny Guitar
    Unthought Known
    Supersonic
    AVERAGE
    Just Breathe
    Force of Nature
    The End
    MEH
    Gonna See My Friend
    Amongst the Waves
    Speed of Sound
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Johnny Guitar is still my favorite song on Backspacer. Love it.
    I love to turn you on
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    it's an absolute masterpiece.

:thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I haven't spun the disc in about a month or two. I have a few songs on my playlist that still crop up, but overall, haven't given it much of a listen lately.

Used to be absolutely in love with it. That has tempered a bit.

Best song: Unthought Known, hands down. Still an absolute all-time top 10.

I can still get in to most of the songs on the disc: Gonna See My Friend, Supersonic, Got Some, etc.

Song I really loved at first and is"eh" now: Just Breathe

Song that was "eh" before and I really dig now: Amongst the Waves

Song that always sucked, then and now, more than the free demo version they gave out when you finished the album cover art puzzle game: Speed of Sound
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Amongst The Waves - I am not sure where the love for this song comes from. I find it cheesy..The verse is pretty cool and Mike's lead but that chorus...no no no
  • I'm not all about it like I was a few months ago, but I still really really like it. Just like when it first came out, Unthought Known is fav and Amongst the Waves is at the bottom...though I do like Amongst the Waves. I'm also in the minority that likes this version of Speed of Sound more than the demo, it seems.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
  • I would agree that Got Some and Unthought Known are the real standouts.

I enjoy the rest of the album and would be perfectly happy to hear most of the songs live, but they aren't pantheon songs. I'm still happy with it - it is definitely a bit of an experiment on the band's part: poppier, more accessible, tight, short songs. I find that all interesting even if the results are not on the level of their earlier classics. Realistically, we probably can't expect to see that again. To use a baseball metaphor, I am glad to see them hitting a single or a double even if they can't get a grand slam anymore. It is better than not having them batting at all.

Overall, I'd rank it ahead of Avocado, but that is probably the only one.
    96: 10-2 Hartford
    03: 7-11 Mansfield 3
    04: 9-28 Boston 1
    08: 6-28 Mansfield 1
    09: 10-30 Philly 3, 10-31 Philly 4
    10: 5-15 Hartford, 5-17 Boston
    11: 9-3 Alpine Valley, 9-4 Alpine Valley
    13: 10-15 Worcester 1, 10-16 Worcester 2, 10-25 Hartford
    16: 4-29 Philly 2, 5-1 MSG 1, 8-5 Fenway 1, 8-7 Fenway 2
    18: 9-2 Fenway 1, 9-4 Fenway 2
    21: 9-26 Ohana
    22: 5-6 LA, 5-7 LA, 5-16 Fresno
    EV SOLO: 8-2-08 Boston 2, 6-8-09 Albany 1, 6-15-11 Providence, 6-16-11 Boston, 6-18-11 Hartford, 11-1-12 Las Vegas
    Tres Mts: 3-27-11 Boston
  • T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 412
    edited February 2010
    Songs I loved off the bat and still love:

Got Some, The Fixer, Just Breathe, Speed of Sound

Songs I liked off the bat and still like:

Untought Known, Gonna See My Friend, Johnny Guitar

Songs I didn't like off the bat that really grew on me:

Force of Nature, The End, Supersonic

Song that just doesn't do anything for me:

Amongst the Waves

Overall, I think it's their best record since Yield and in my top 3 PJ albums. I loved it when it came out and a couple songs grew on me, so I probably like it better now than ever.
    Post edited by T-Bone 82 on
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • I think Force of Nature has become my favorite on the album. It's kind of buried at the end there, and it didn't hit me at first, but it's got a really cool sound to it. It's not trying too hard, unlike, say, Amongst the Waves. Some great lyrics too.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • I've loved Gonna See My Friend since the first listen and still do. I'm surprised it doesn't get more love from the board.

Overall, the album is much better than I would have expected as this point in PJs career. A lot of songs from BS would fit in on the first 3 albums.
    9/22/96, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 6/22/03, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/16/06, 7/18/06
  • I would agree that Got Some and Unthought Known are the real standouts.

I enjoy the rest of the album and would be perfectly happy to hear most of the songs live, but they aren't pantheon songs. I'm still happy with it - it is definitely a bit of an experiment on the band's part: poppier, more accessible, tight, short songs. I find that all interesting even if the results are not on the level of their earlier classics. Realistically, we probably can't expect to see that again. To use a baseball metaphor, I am glad to see them hitting a single or a double even if they can't get a grand slam anymore. It is better than not having them batting at all.

Overall, I'd rank it ahead of Avocado, but that is probably the only one.

I agree, although it’s better than Riot Act.

Yeah I think we have seen the pinnacle of Pearl Jam songs, which is fine. To have 5 or 6 classic albums, and probably a classic album’s worth of B-sides to your name is up there with the very best (Led Zep, Floyd, Queen, Stones, etc)

I’d like to see them push the boat out a little more next time, sonically. Kind of like the Binaural album..Seems they have played it pretty safe on Avocado & Backspacer
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Gonna See My Friend - Not heard a great live version yet but I like it on the album.
    Got Some - Good but a little poppy for PJ.
    The Fixer - Mixed opinions but I think it's becoming a classic.
    Johnny Guitar - One of PJ's coolest songs yet!
    Just Breathe - Simply gorgeous!
    Amongst The Waves - Given To Fly 2! Brilliant and just awesome live.
    Unthought Known - I want to have it's babies!
    Supersonic - Who the fuck let Status Quo write a song for PJ? Get's skipped every time, sorry.
    Speed Of Sound - Coldplay wrote a better song with this title and I hate Coldplay. Sorry again.
    Force Of Nature - First listen didn't do it for me but it's grown on me like Sleight Of Hand did. Love it!
    The End - Only OK for me, like a leftover from Into The Wild but only B-Side quality. Great live w/strings.

7/10 for the album and still my least favourite by PJ but a bad PJ album is still a PJ album. :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    force of nature is one of the band's best songs ALL TIME
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646
    I think Force of Nature has become my favorite on the album. It's kind of buried at the end there, and it didn't hit me at first, but it's got a really cool sound to it. It's not trying too hard, unlike, say, Amongst the Waves. Some great lyrics too.

BINGO...what he said. And "Amongst the Waves", like I've said before, reminds me of a Winger or Nelson or Bon Jovi song...way too cheesy for me.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    dunkman wrote:

yes sir :clap: !
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I love the first half of the album.

I just really dislike Force of Nature and Speed of Sound (heard the demo and can never go back). Unthought Known is definitely the current grower though.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    pandora wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

yes sir :clap: !

i was of course referring to this 'masterpiece' of a thread
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=111784&p=2535671&hilit=masterpiece+dunk#p2535671

I actually think its not a masterpiece... a very very good album... but not a masterpiece. ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I agree, although it’s better than Riot Act.

Yeah I think we have seen the pinnacle of Pearl Jam songs, which is fine. To have 5 or 6 classic albums, and probably a classic album’s worth of B-sides to your name is up there with the very best (Led Zep, Floyd, Queen, Stones, etc)

I’d like to see them push the boat out a little more next time, sonically. Kind of like the Binaural album..Seems they have played it pretty safe on Avocado & Backspacer

For me, Backspacer is more consistent than Riot Act overall, but I think the highs on RA are higher (and the lows are lower).

Totally agree about the overall body of work and would love to see them get more adventurous going forward. I know the mantra was to simplify on Backspacer and some of the interviews indicated that the band thought they had made some of the song structures too complex in the past, but I love those tempo changes, etc.
    96: 10-2 Hartford
    03: 7-11 Mansfield 3
    04: 9-28 Boston 1
    08: 6-28 Mansfield 1
    09: 10-30 Philly 3, 10-31 Philly 4
    10: 5-15 Hartford, 5-17 Boston
    11: 9-3 Alpine Valley, 9-4 Alpine Valley
    13: 10-15 Worcester 1, 10-16 Worcester 2, 10-25 Hartford
    16: 4-29 Philly 2, 5-1 MSG 1, 8-5 Fenway 1, 8-7 Fenway 2
    18: 9-2 Fenway 1, 9-4 Fenway 2
    21: 9-26 Ohana
    22: 5-6 LA, 5-7 LA, 5-16 Fresno
    EV SOLO: 8-2-08 Boston 2, 6-8-09 Albany 1, 6-15-11 Providence, 6-16-11 Boston, 6-18-11 Hartford, 11-1-12 Las Vegas
    Tres Mts: 3-27-11 Boston
  • Force of Nature...initially it was my least favorite on the album but now it's probably my favorite.

Just Breathe has had A LOT of radio airplay around here, so that's one that I could go without listening to right now hahah.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    My overall feeling is that it'll be down the bottom of the pile right on top of Avocado. There are some great songs there but I wouldn't hesitate to skip the album to listen to any of the first 6 or 7.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    edited February 2010
    GREAT - Top notch:
    Amongst the Waves
    Johnny Guitar
    The End

VERY GOOD

Unthought Known
    Just Breathe

GOOD
    Got Some

OK
    Force of Nature (song structure seems like an 80's hair band song that should be in a movie montage)
    The Fixer

MEH
    Gonna See My Friend
    Supersonic (I skip it though, it's just kinda there)
    Speed of Sound (though the "demo" version of this is SO much better - no instruments forced into it)

The question I have is, was Backspacer their "best album of the lot", as Matt Cameron suggested. My answer, very easily, no. Best album he's played on? Probably - but PJ's TEN and VS are beyond compare. There is not an "ok" song or a "meh" song on either of those two albums. Those two albums hit the ball out of the park, and into a satellite. This album scored a double or a triple.
    Post edited by CJMST3K on
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,509
    It's a good album but it doesn't blow me away like the other albums.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Gonna See My Friend - For me this was an instant winner and I still love hearing it anytime
    Got Some - This one I loved after Conan but after a while its slipped a little for me
    The Fixer - I really like this song - the middle is fantastic
    Johnny Guitar - This one grew on me a lot and I like it a lot more now than at first
    Just Breathe - This one seemed boring at first but has grown on me
    Amongst The Waves - I am in that minority that doesn't quite get this one, but its still a good song.
    Unthought Known - Grown on me a ton - top 3 of the album for me
    Supersonic - Liked this when I heard that first live version, but its gone downhill since
    Speed Of Sound - Demo, good. Backspacer version, bizarre.
    Force Of Nature - Favorite song off the album since day 1
    The End - This one I liked a bit when I first heard and it hasnt really gone up or down since.

Overall I like the album - I'd say I only skip 2 songs (supersonic and speed of sound) so that's fairly impressive. Still wish it was a few songs longer, but we're all long past that :)
  • DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    I had a problem with it from the get go, couldn't put my finger on what it was but just couldn't get into it. I thought it was the way I had cheated and listened to everything before I actually bought it but not sure. At least now I can listen to it and enjoy all of it several times a week, even Johnny Guitar. GSMF has always been my favorite, I get chills every time i hear Ed scream near the end. ATW has never really done it for me after the first several listens, I've always thought Matt's drumming just didnt hit the mark, the early reviews compared it to Alive in the way it reaches this anthemic ending but the drums just don't rise up like the rest of the song. Overall I'm happy with it and am very glad its doing so well.
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    im suprised Supersonic gets so much hate. I really dig the song and the breakdown in the middle is fantastic. oh well.

Overall i think its a solid album..although i cringe when i hear The FIxer (although it is solid live song) and Just Breathe. Those two tracks just dont do it for me at all.

il steal the Hoffs format

GREAT
    Unthought Known
    Amongst The Waves

VERY GOOD
    GOt Some
    Johnny Guitar
    GSMF

GOOD
    The End
    Supersonic
    Force of Nature

OK
    Speed Of Sound

MEH
    Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    DH62179 wrote:
    I had a problem with it from the get go, couldn't put my finger on what it was but just couldn't get into it. I thought it was the way I had cheated and listened to everything before I actually bought it but not sure. At least now I can listen to it and enjoy all of it several times a week, even Johnny Guitar. GSMF has always been my favorite, I get chills every time i hear Ed scream near the end. ATW has never really done it for me after the first several listens, I've always thought Matt's drumming just didnt hit the mark, the early reviews compared it to Alive in the way it reaches this anthemic ending but the drums just don't rise up like the rest of the song. Overall I'm happy with it and am very glad its doing so well.

Interesting. I'm probably the most vocal critic of MC's drumming (and supporter when he plays well) and I thought he played amazingly well on this album - probably the best playing he's done with them.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • i've hit the point as a fan where i have stopped trying to categorize their music by "good and bad"...first of all...they don't make bad music...and secondly...frame of mind has sooooo much to do with music...like, there are certain songs i don't want to hear when i am pissed off and there are those i love to crank when i'm angry...there are those you listen to when feeling mellow...etc etc

Backspacer is a "lite" album to me...i took it for what it was...even if it's not my preferred style of music i figured it was ground that they never covered and that is what keeps this band going/together, so how can that be bad?....do i think they will make a return to the deeper darker music? fuck yeah! I am def not one of the people around here who thinks this is all we will get from them from now on and that their best stuff is behind them...i think that's bullshit...how anyone who has been a fan of this band for at least the past 10 years can think that is beyond me!

........and i don't care what any of you say...........Riot Act is fucking brilliant!!!!!!!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    fucking brilliant record still.....

and Just breathe is still an awesome track, as is got some, amoungst the waves, supersonic, force of nature, and unthought known

the only tracks now to have grown on me at all are johnny guitar and speed of sound - the latter just doesnt fit on the record well......still 9/11 tracks - id take that all day long.